The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 181 of 322 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183191231281 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,620 of 6422

Button, I did have him floated about a month ago. I had his hocks injected one time. I just called my vet to verify, but it was November of 2011, so it may have to be a yearly thing. I hope if I do that he will be A-Ok.

Of course, it's raining again, today. Wet week. Sheesh. Oh, and the three feet really didn't look all that big. I'm happy about that. It was a vertical. Make it an oxer and I would be singing a different tune!!!

I hope you are feeling better soon. Takes us a while, doesn't it!? And I will cross my fingers your joint supps for your pony work. I have Chico on some, plus Pentosan every 4 weeks. And until just this weekend, he's never had a problem. I hate that he's getting old.

Tiger, when is your next show?
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Paradox - you made me laugh - so funny how some fences seem so much bigger/higher than others! I think verticals are a lot scarier than oxers - go figure!!! Hope the weather clears for you. Our weekend turned out lovely, but was predicted to be cool and rainy.

Ditto to Button on hoping the supplements work for your pony and that you are feeling better soon.

While unpacking from the show yesterday (why is packing more fun?!) a fellow boarder took a nasty spill off her gelding. She recently increased his joint supplment, which doubled the MSM he is getting, and he's been getting progressively sillier. Anyway, we heard hooves, an OH KNOW, and a thud. worst.feeling.ever. Ran to the indoor and found her curled up on the ground. She had landed flat on her back and then rolled. She was OK, but very shaken. Didn't remount, but did lunge the heck out of him. He totally took advantage of her - felt her coming off and then purposefully pulled her out of the tack - bugger. Suggested she stop using the supplement and see if he gets better, he's usually kind of a slug . . .

Next show - probably some time in June - will probably tag along, like I did this time, with my dressage buddies and do another CT.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Thanks guys, I had a lesson on him Friday and he felt decent, I hope he stays that way. It's weird, he's kind of a jerk (cuts corners, counterbends, trots everywhere), but I trust him. I feel queasy doing more than crossrails on the one who dumped me, but on him I've gone 2'6" and I can actually think about what my various body parts are doing because I've freed up the parts of my brain that are normally busy worrying. It's amazing what we're able to do with the horses we trust.

Paradox - dang, I was hoping it might be something simple like rough teeth. But even if he has to have yearly injections, at least there's something that keeps him feeling good.

Tiger - Oh dear, I'm glad she's intact. It's funny you mention the supplements though, I'm having the same issue with one of my pups. Vet gave him some new stuff for his wonky leg, and he has been completely bonkers ever since. I hope he calms down, taking her out on purpose is a pretty dirty trick to pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Horse View Post

While unpacking from the show yesterday (why is packing more fun?!) a fellow boarder took a nasty spill off her gelding. She recently increased his joint supplment, which doubled the MSM he is getting, and he's been getting progressively sillier. Anyway, we heard hooves, an OH KNOW, and a thud. worst.feeling.ever. Ran to the indoor and found her curled up on the ground. She had landed flat on her back and then rolled. She was OK, but very shaken. Didn't remount, but did lunge the heck out of him. He totally took advantage of her - felt her coming off and then purposefully pulled her out of the tack - bugger. Suggested she stop using the supplement and see if he gets better, he's usually kind of a slug . . .
    MSM can make some horses completely nutty. I specifically chose a joint supplement without it for my new horse, until I know he is trustworthy under saddle. Just too risky otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    MSM can make some horses completely nutty. I specifically chose a joint supplement without it for my new horse, until I know he is trustworthy under saddle. Just too risky otherwise.
    It's amazing how different they all are, isn't it? My guy is fine with MSM - he's the same temperment-wise with or without it. Trainer thinks it's spring fever, I think it's too coincidental to increase in MSM. We'll see . . .

Button - it was a very dirty trick!
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Yay, Tiger Horse!! Hang that ribbon up and be proud of it! You're so far ahead of a lot of people...I'm too scared to try and take the Amazon anywhere for fear of what might set her off. Sometimes being brave enough to "just do it!" deserves a ribbon whether you trot the course or not! FWIW, I've seen plenty of people over the years who were competing and should have been trotting the courses instead of careening around out of control!! And I love all the smiles in your photos - a good time was had by all, yes?

Paradox – Thanks so much for the photo compliment! I adore that gelding. It’s an odd thing that for years before I ever was able to get a horse, I always said I wanted a “bay pinto American Saddlebred” – that was my dream horse. I admit I was wrong on the color, but I did end up with my dream horse in Gabriel, who is a chestnut pinto American Saddlebred (technically, it’s called “spotted” in his breed, not pinto, but I didn’t know that back when).

Anyway, I’m glad you got some riding in last weekend! And best of luck with the injection for Chico – that poor, sweet boy. Hey, if yearly injections are what he needs, that’s a small price to pay for keeping that amazing guy sound and happy.

Tiger – CONGRATS with the show!!!! WOO-HOO! Sounds like you had a blast, which is absolutely wonderful! And I love your pictures – so cute!!!!! I wish we all lived in the same area, because I’m sure many of us would’ve come to cheer you on – I know I would’ve.

Oh, and I would agree with backing off the MSM on that horse to see whether or not that’s the trigger. Even little things can sometimes make a huge difference in a horse’s personality. I’m so glad the other boarder is ok! Thank goodness you were there to make sure she was alright!

Button – Thank you so much for the photo compliment, too!!! I adore my Gabriel – he’s my heart horse, for sure. It’s funny how we all get this picture in our mind of what other people and their horses look like. And I don’t know about you, but I’m usually wrong when I do that! Haha – oh, well. No biggie.

I’m so glad to hear your schoolie is doing ok! Phew! You are *so* right when you say, “It’s amazing what we’re able to do with the horses we trust.” I know exactly what you mean! Not everybody gets it – I’m not entirely sure that my friend who I board with understands. She’s seen me ride Gabriel through his butt-head moments, which can be worse than the silly things Velvet usually throws at me. So, of course, she wonders why I’m fine on Gabe and not on Velvet. But it’s because I *know* Gabriel would never toss me. Be a stinker? Yeah – he has his days. But I trust him with my life. Velvet? I don’t think she’d ever toss someone on purpose, but she’s also more sensitive and I don’t always trust that she’d “catch” me if I started to get off kilter. Gabriel does.

Finzean – Oh, I totally agree that sometimes just being brave enough to go do it deserves a ribbon! Hahaha! I wish they did give ribbons for that – I probably would’ve shown 20 times more than I have (at this point in my life, I’ve only ever ridden in 3 shows).

So, my friend who I board with and I are going to try to get video this coming weekend of at least Velvet, and maybe Rose, for the sale ads. Our schedules don’t always mesh too hot, so we had to wait a while to get it. Problem is, even though she’s a great rider, her style of riding isn’t the same as that trainer. I think Velvet *really* liked the way that trainer rode, hence why she went so well. But, I’m sure my friend can get her going around nicely and I can take some clips. It’s sort of counter-intuitive to me that Velvet liked the trainer’s ride, only because Velvet seems to get upset with contact in her mouth, but this trainer rode with a lot of contact. I’ve always been told to ride her in very light contact, and that’s also how my friend rides naturally – she doesn’t really like to pick up contact. I’m wondering if maybe I was told wrong and Velvet likes to be held together more. Or, it could also be that my not-so-educated hands give inconsistent contact, and maybe that’s what she hates. I don’t know, but it does make me think.

In other news, my lesson last night was a BLAST!!! I so love this coach and I’m totally going to start going to her regularly. I can’t afford to do weekly lessons with her until I get down to 2 horses, but I’m going to try for every other week, and make it a point to go at least once a month if nothing else. She put me on a schoolie named Petie. He’s a total cutie-pie, 16 year old chestnut TB with lots of chrome. Kinda skinny and lanky, but a very good egg. In fact, he reminds me of Gabriel personality-wise… probably why I fell completely in love with him by the end of the lesson.

Anyway, my other friend (who taught me to gear down using my seat) did the lesson with me. We just did Walk/Trot, but we did a *ton* of stuff. I feel like I learned stuff, and I felt *so* much more secure in the saddle by the time I was done. We did a lot of trot drills – Posting to two-point to sitting, to two-point, to sitting, to double-posting, etc. Toward the end she had us drop one stirrup, post the trot, then switch the dropped stirrup and post again. Oy – I’m stiff and sore this morning, but it was so much fun! I can’t wait to go back!

I’m planning on going to the barn tonight and getting on Gabriel. I think I’ll torture myself with some of those drills again tonight so I can solidify it in my mushy re-rider brain.

I've started my horse on Mag Restore which is supposed to be a natural calmer. I'll report back!

NJR
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post
    Yay, Tiger Horse!! Hang that ribbon up and be proud of it! You're so far ahead of a lot of people...I'm too scared to try and take the Amazon anywhere for fear of what might set her off. Sometimes being brave enough to "just do it!" deserves a ribbon whether you trot the course or not! FWIW, I've seen plenty of people over the years who were competing and should have been trotting the courses instead of careening around out of control!! And I love all the smiles in your photos - a good time was had by all, yes?
    Yes, we all had a ball - lots of smiles and laughs - and you're darn right I'm hanging that ribbon up! It was the very first time I've jumped "off property" so a big step for me and something to build on. Now, I have to get out on the trail . . . so we can school for some cross country . . .

Tiger Horse, congratulations! Glad everything went so well!

CR, lovely picture!

Good news, everyone! One of the little lesson girls at our barn is going to buy my little QH buddy! So he gets to stay! Yaaaaaaaay!
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

That's awesome, Dewey! I'm so happy. I hope they enjoy each other, and you enjoy watching them.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Dewey- that's awesome!! Now you can always see him

Tiger- Congrats!!!!!

Paradox- I hope Chico is feeling better soon. I do like the name Maya

CR- sorry about the deal. Hopefully with some good video your girl will sell soon. Keep having fun with your lesson though. Oh and Gabe is a cutie, I love his color!!!

Sorry if I missed anyone. Jack is prepared for his Trial this weekend. I worked him in the fields with my trainer on Monday and I now feel much better about his fitness. His colic episodes took so much out of him!!! Deagan is enjoying his short workouts I think. He seems very happy and sound!!!! I think body wise he is looking much better. I just hate that he lost so much of his top line during this last year

Dewey GREAT NEWS!!

Classy - thanks - you are so sweet! Glad to hear you enjoyed your lesson and are looking forward to the next. Hope the video goes well.

Dewey - thank you - and that's wonderful news on your QH buddy!

superD - thanks! Good luck this weekend - so exciting - can't wait to hear all about it.

Had a quick ride in the outdoor last night - he was very good. Trainer has a new shareboarder (a really nice young woman - maybe 20?) that wants to do some mini events this summer and although I'd certainly like to jump on board at some point, I don't want to be rushed . . . I'd be really happy doing another CT, before trying a mini event . . .

Duplicate

Awesome news about your QH buddy, Dewey!

Congrats on your show Tiger Horse!

Classy - sorry to hear things didn't go as planned with the Morgan.

Sorry I have been AWOL lately. Tons of travel and crazy days at te office, but I am trying to keep up!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

SSorry I've been away for a while.
    I'm posting from my phone and while I read all your replys I haven't found a way to go back and and to recall from my phone yet, so sorry and koddys.

I had a lesson and decided that it would best to lease Toby for the summer to a girl who is heads over tea kettles in love with him. It is the best for him, the girl, and me. I will "teach"the girl how to ride a TB wit out just out posing as the bm asked me to help he in her (G*g help me) 4h club. As I think she said 2 of her girls what to do English and she doesn't do English. And as the saying goes the mind id willing but but the body isn't.

And I because my BO is so wonderful but works outside the barn I decided to do the stalls in exchange for balan lessons, which my body needs badly 3x a week and I'm going to ride some of.her almost dead broke horses to get them in shape to sell.
    I'm also going to do various "stuff" that needs done.
    Basically I'm going to be her unpaid BM...which is ok by me. But hey it strainge after doing some really gross, messy stalls I was sure at least my legs would hurt. But not even a twinge, the only thing that remotely hurts more tha Norma is,my knee. But this to shall pass. ;-)
    Friend of bar .ka

bumknees you crack me up over the 4H comment!! We are members of 4H (non-horse club) and have lamented over the fact that 4H has SO MANY opps for kids to do really cool stuff...except in the horse world if one is riding English.

So - I decided to change that! Just finished leadership training and am submitting my paperwork for Heels Down 4-H Club. We're bringing back the neighborhood barn of old where all the horseless kids could show up and brush horses, ride a little, learn a lot, and get their horse fix in a safe and sane situation. We are really excited about the doors this is going to open for kids who want to learn horsemanship but who will never have the means/opp to own or lease a horse. We opted for 4H (as opposed to USPC) b/c 4H has so many great ways for the kids to earn scholarship money for camps, etc. - ways that don't require a horse. BUT - mum's the word - we're working out of USPC manuals and hope to be able to get involved with the club in Orange county at some point. You are dead on w/your comment - ALL the 4H stuff around here is Western oriented and a lot of it SCARY LARRY!!

Most recent Tails from the Amazon....

Wicked mud and hormonally driven bouts of running, rearing, spinning, and generally crazy mare behavior, have sucked another shoe off the Amazon. Of course we have sunny, beautiful weather for the next 2 days...I'll be schooling the ponies, I guess. The blacksmith comes Monday in the midst of more rain. What the fig newton??? Glad to have the kayaks in case transportation to and from the barn becomes compromised. ugh.

Hoping everyone else is enjoying good footing and sunshine with an absence of insects!!

Bmknees, sounds like you will enjoy your new endeavor. . And I am glad you found a girl that will give Toby a lot of love. I am happy to hear you are going to get some saddle time with some steady Eddies. Awesome. Enjoy it.

Finzean, sounds like you will have your hands full! But it also sounds like a lot of fun. As a kid I took lessons but never owned a horse. I would have done anything for riding opportunities. I tried 4h but the group I went to pretty much couldn't do anything with me since I did not have my own horse. Sigh.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

It's finals week, and I am swamped with grading. I am taking a brief break to say thanks to everyone for the congratulations. I have to admit that when I first heard the news, I felt a little pang...he's been my horse, and everyone has acknowledged that, and now he's going to be hers. However, those feelings are unworthy, and I am really, really glad that he is going to stay. I will enjoy helping the little girl learn to ride him, and she is a very nice girl. On Tuesday, I showed her some of the tricks he knows, and I lent her a leather halter he won for me the last year I showed him. So it will be fun to watch them grow together. (And besides, I know that he will always love me best! )
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne