The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 180 of 436 FirstFirst ... 80130170178179180181182190230280 ... LastLast
Results 3,581 to 3,600 of 8707

Finzean, I can tell Emmett was special and much loved. My dog destroyed many a pair of shoes as well, but never a Coach bag! I can tell that you have forgiven Emmett for all his chewing, a small price for the love he gave you.

As for the piece from the Oregonian, it's been reprinted many times and appears all over the Internet, sometimes as a poem, often shortened. I like to send people the original piece in its entirety. It always makes me cry even though I haven't lost a dog for a long time. A dear friend gave me a copy after I lost the dog before the one I have now. That was in the 90s. Ever since, I always pass it along to friends who have lost dogs, and it always touches people. I'm so glad you liked it.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Good luck, Tiger Horse! How exciting! Let us know how it goes!
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Good luck TH and remember to have fun. Make sure to post and let us know how it goes.

Update from Canada is that it has finally stopped snowing and we are riding outside. Unfortunately, I seem to have forgotten how. Nothing seems to work right. Trainer says I'm just rusty, not doing anything wrong. First show is in 2 weeks. I think I will go and do the schooling and if it is terrible I might just wait until the next one. On the positive note my daughter and her pony are just rocking it. Trainer is really pleased with her and she's so excited for the first show.

Paradox - I hope the ankle sorts itself out, sounds like things are pretty steady otherwise.

Finzean - he sounds like such a good boy. If it makes you feel better, mine recently unzipped a seat cushion cover on the couch and shredded the cusion inside. It's strange the things our beloved pets choose to destroy! But we love them anyway, because they make us feel complete (me anyway).

Dewey - I can neither confirm nor deny the timeline of aforementioned bath, ice cream, and libations.

Tiger - updates!

Hazel - I'm SO jealous right now, we're in the low 100's

Update for me - rode my friend's lovely appy on monday, but was still sore from Friday's crash and it was 100 out, so we didn't do much. Had a lesson tonight on the dirty stopper, it was weird, almost like he could tell I was freaking out about riding him and decided to take pity on me (though not enough to change leads on demand). As we're heading out of the ring trainer says 'go tack up the schoolie (my favorite boy who went lame) and bring him in here.' Apparently he's now at the point (trainer is) where he has to make a descision about what to do with him (schoolie) and wanted to get an idea how he's recovered during layoff. Farrier suspects hoof changes due to insulin resistance, but apparently schoolie has always had issues with left front and has to be worked daily to keep from getting stiff (as reported by pervious owner), but regardless a decision has to be made about him soon.

I can't even describe how happy I was to be riding him again, it was almost embarrassing. Despite the bucking, bouncing, and piaffe instead of a walk, it was great. I trust him, even when he's being silly, I know deep down he's just too lazy to do anything really bad. I realized it's the first time I've been truly relaxed in the saddle for awhile. He wasn't 100% to the left, so fingers crossed he comes back with regular work and it's not hoof changes.

Hazel, I'm in Canada too...SW Ontario.

Button, hope your boy gets better and you can enjoy him more often.

Tiger, keep us updated on your adventure.

NJR

Had a fantastic lesson tonight, just w/t, and a heart to heart with my coach. He said he KNOWS I know all this stuff, I've shown First level and I (basically) just need to put on my Big Girl panties and ride in order to get over this fear that is holding me back. He is right, and things are better and I just need to keep plugging along until I get past all this.
    Easy to say.
    Now, I can't ride for a week because I'm having a procedure done on my shoulder, so I'm just going to have him ride her. Maybe get a good video as well.
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Thanks guys - not a lot to report - other than cleaning tack, packing my little show trunk and trying not to get too wired already. Not too worried about the dressage test anymore - now I'm just worried I'll forget my course! Definitely having some liquid courage before I mount - I'm to bring the orange juice

NJR congrats on the lesson - we know you can do it!

Button - glad you are back in the saddle! I hope the schoolie continues to improve.

I rode outside Tuesday night - W/T/C both directions without any major issues - a major win. (He can be pretty silly the first few rides outside.) Weather might be a bit dicey this weekend, so show may be inside - which is fine by me!

Happy riding everyone!
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Eyes up & kick on, Tiger!! I once did my canter circles at A & C instead of E & B...oops! Didn't realize it til I came out of the ring! All was well and I was 5th after dressage in a field of 11. haha My Pony Palace teensies always ride better when they are smiling. And remember Peter Pan? It was his happy thoughts that gave him the power to fly. You'll do great and JUST HAVE FUN!!

We are in the throes of end of year homeschool testing around here. blech! But the weather and footing suck right now...maybe some saddle time tomorrow...

Hope everyone is doing great!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Hey, soloud, isn't this you on the front page of the CANTER Mid-Atlantic site?

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...d=37&Itemid=56

Good luck, Tiger!!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Good luck Tiger and have a blast!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    Hey, soloud, isn't this you on the front page of the CANTER Mid-Atlantic site?

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...d=37&Itemid=56

my horse-- but not me up! That is Whitney, our own Jleegriffith's friend, riding him at the Winterplace show.

Man he is cute though isn't he?!

He sure is!

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    my horse-- but not me up! That is Whitney, our own Jleegriffith's friend, riding him at the Winterplace show.

Man he is cute though isn't he?!
    Yeah, SUPER cute!
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Hmm...wonder how Tiger is doing about now!?
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Goodness – I’ve missed about a week of responding again. I’m going to try to give everyone a shout here – hope I don’t miss anyone…

Rubygirl & SuperD – I am trying to ignore these rude people. It’s a little difficult to do when I board with one of them, but I’m trying. Super, thank you so much for sharing your story about D. It makes me feel like I’m not the only one who’s been through something like this, though it’s also sad that people automatically blame the horse sometimes when they should just take a step back and try to figure out the solution. I’m so happy Jack did so great cross country and D is staying sound!

Event4Life – Have you been able to get back on yet, or are you still recovering from your surgery? It sounds as though you’d been having some awesome rides! That’s so wonderful! I’m super jealous, and so glad you have the opportunity to hop on so many great horses. Even if you’re not back in the saddle yet, you will be soon.

SoLoud – I’m so ecstatic for you that you found a barn that’s a better fit. Exciting! Let us know how everyone is settling in once you do the big move!

Bumknees – You’ll be able to get in the saddle when it’s the right time. No worries. You WILL get there. Where there’s a will, there’s a way, right?

Tiger – I’m so exciting to hear about the show!!! Did you have a mimosa or two before your test? I <3 mimosas. LOL Please let us know how that went.

Dewey – Man, I feel bad for Sky’s pasture mate, but there isn’t much you can do about it. It’s a shame when they get that attached. …And that was a *beautiful* piece you posted from the Oregonian – I’ve never read it before, but it made me tear up.

Button – Are you all healed up from your unplanned dismount yet? That body soreness can take a while to dissipate, not to mention the bruises. Ugh! …Also, I’m sending jingles to your old schoolie – hoping it’s very fixable!

Finzean – I am so, so sorry for the loss of your sweet dog. It’s always difficult. It’s like you just expect them to be there around the house or whatever after so many years, and when they aren’t… it’s just so lonely. It certainly sounds like you did the right thing for him, and I know he appreciated everything you and your family gave to him – the kindness, security, and peace of mind that he was well and truly loved. He’ll be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge when the time comes.

Stolen Virtue – Babies can be tough. We need so much patience in working with them, because they just aren’t as consistent about *anything* as the older ones. {{Hugs}} I totally understand your frustration. Just try to start every session out brand new. Try to review things from last time, but if he says, “I don’t remember learning this!” you have to say, “Well, then let me show you again.” And sometimes they seem to forget *everything* but it doesn’t last. Just be patient and he’ll come around.

Paradox – I’m so glad Maya’s settling in! What a cutie pie! And I’m glad you’re getting to take Chico over jumps. As for your ankle, have you thought about wrapping it or something? It’s *so* difficult when you have an ankle injury. I remember when I wanted to buy my first horse, I did a test ride on an older TB gelding. I never thought that an old soft-tissue injury from years before would send me into SO MUCH PAIN when I tried to sink my heel. I literally couldn’t ride him – had to dismount after 15 minutes. I had to do physical therapy for a month or two before I was able to even think about riding again. But I did it, and I got back in the saddle. I would recommend asking a doctor for strengthening exercises if you haven’t already. Perhaps that would help.

HazelG – Hooray for no more snow!!! I hope you’re getting to practice for the show. Keep us posted!

NJR – I’m so happy to hear you had a great lesson! That always feels wonderful. It doesn’t matter if it’s W/T – if it makes you feel good, that’s what it’s all about.

So, the trainer from the Morgan farm came to try Velvet the other day. She watched me lunge her, then got on herself. She had Velvet going *beautifully* - I don’t know if I’ve ever seen that mare move so great. Obviously, she’s a trainer so she knows what she’s doing. But I was amazed – if she was riding in a flat class in good company, they absolutely would’ve placed. I was quite impressed, both with the trainer’s riding ability and with my mare.

When she was finished, the trainer said she really, really liked Velvet and was very interested in her, but she wanted to give me about half of what I had told her weeks ago was the *firm* price. I simply can’t take any less. So, we discussed it a little, but it seemed like she wasn’t willing to budge at all, and there’s no way I was taking that little. So, unfortunately, I guess it just isn’t going to work. I’m pretty disappointed – I keep trying to think that it just wasn’t meant to be. But it sucks – I really wanted that horse.

On a good note, on Thursday evening I had another one of my friends come to the barn to visit. She also used to be an instructor, so we did a mock lesson. It was only about 15 or 20 minutes long, but I learned stuff just in that short amount of time. I rode Gabriel, and we did W/T with a focus on two things – I have a bad habit of lifting my toes instead of sinking my heels, so she gave me some pointers on fixing that. Then she also taught me how to stop Gabe completely off of my seat – it was awesome! I was able to transition him from Trot to Walk, Walk to Halt, and even Trot to Halt *entirely* off of my seat – so cool!!! And he was such a good boy, as he always is. Thank God for that horse – I adore him so much.

Here’s a pic she took of us on Thursday. I think Gabriel looks pretty darn good for a 20 year old who's just getting back into work.
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67...ps390badef.jpg

I have an actual lesson scheduled for Monday evening with a lady who's about half an hour away. I'll be riding one of her schoolies, and I'm hoping I really like her and can start taking regular lessons again.

....I hope everyone else is having a good day and enjoying the weekend!

Classy, I LOVE your picture. I don't know why, I but I pictured Gabriel as a very dark bay! What a pleasant surprise to see how colorful he is. Very handsome! Glad you had a great ride on him. He sounds like such a special guy.

And as far as the sale, did you possibly get any video of that trainer riding? You can use it in your ad. Or if not, maybe find someone else that is equally talented that can ride her for you and you can get some great video. I think that helps in ads. Good luck. Sorry this one didn't work out. Who knows, maybe she'll contact you again later. Stick to your guns on pricing. And who knows, maybe she'll tell someone else about her and you may still get a sale that way.

Good luck with your lesson. I hope that's fun and it all works out. Lessons are so good for all of us.

I rode both Saturday and Sunday. And I will have to admit, I'm proud of myself because it was raining on Saturday. I just rode in the light rain. I will say it was cold when I got off, though! But Chico was a good boy. Rain was too heavy by time I got off so we didn't ride Maya/Nessie/new horse. But we lunged her some anyway. They needed to stretch their legs. Yesterday was wet, but there was a lull where we rode both. I did my first 3' jump since before the "ankle incident" which was nice. I think, though, that Chico may need his hocks injected or something. He is starting to do a little bit of bucky-type things at the canter. And that is not like him. Sigh. I am on limited time with him as far as jumping, etc. He's been such a trooper I need to make sure he's comfortable. He never hesitates, though.

Hope everyone else had a good weekend!!
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Default Show Results

Thanks guys for all of the good vibes and well wishes!! Too tired to post via ipad last night!

Had a blast at the show. Spent all day Saturday prepping to ship out and finally "hit the road" about 4:30pm. Everyone hopped right on the trailer (there were 3 of us going). Quick trip to barn - really nice - more on that another time! Unloaded, tacked up and schooled in the indoor first, then the outdoor. Dodger was really pretty good overall. I think my trainer (S) was a little irritated with me - when Dodger is "up", there is no working him down, he just needs to walk and chill, so that's what we did. We got some work in once he settled and I was happy with what we accomplished.

DD ended up coming home for the weekend (she had plans on Saturday) and came to the show with me on Sunday. Arrived about 7:00am and got to braiding. Not the best, but I got it done. Dressage test at 9:48a, no mimosas - we were all so busy, we never got around to it! Anyway, I get out to the outdoor to warm up (test inside) and Dodger started calling to his stable mates - this was new, he usually could care less.

Enter indoor for the test, walking around waiting for the bell to ring and he is just screaming his head off. I think the judge was giving me an extra minute or two to see if he would settle down and the whole time I'm thinking, just ring the d*amn bell would ya! Finally got going and was too busy to be nervous - he screamed thru the whole test - but, we did it and even managed a couple of 7s for quality of trot and canter. We were early with a couple of tranisitions and that hurt our score, we ended up with a final penalty score of 42.5, overall 54.5. Loved some of the judge's remarks - like the first one - AXMC enter working trot - distracted!! His overall comment: tactful job on distracted horse. Rider needs to situp w/seatbones in the saddle (everyone seemed to get this particular comment) and encourage horse to be more forward. A fellow barn mate said it looked great - he was animated (no kidding) and forward. No pics or video because it was a bit too dark inside. Nonethelss, I was very happy with the test, regardless of the less than stellar score. Lots to work on, as always.

Stadium was very interesting, to say the least. It was stadium jumps (5) set up in a pasture adjacent to a couple of paddocks.
    Very steep hill on one side, and a little downhill to the first jump and kind of rolling throughout. We had quite the crowd watching, since this was the very last part of the show and I was the only one doing CT. We did get around, 8 jumps in all. I'm afraid I disappointed the audience! Mostly trotted - some were nice, some not so nice, but we did it!! Not hard to ribbon, when you're the only one competing!

Here are a couple of pics:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kerr...0Farm%205-5-13

Hope to add some pics, but that's all I have for now.

Everyone hopped right on the trailer to get home.

We have lots to work on, but again, I was really happy with how it went.

And one of the very best parts was that DD was there to share it with me and that she has now expressed an interest in learning to jump!!!!! She is going to talk to our beginner instructor, once she's home for the summer . . . will wonders never cease!
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Aww, what great pictures and a great post on how your show went. Sounds like you did a great job with a great attitude. Good for you!! And I think the reason we show is to learn what we need to work on. Winning is nice, but not the end goal for all of us. I love the picture of you two...both of you look happy (if you can say that about a horse!). Thanks for sharing, and next time will be even easier.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Tiger - Love the pics, you two look great! Sorry he screamed through the whole test, but giggled at the 'distracted' comment. Bonus points for getting DD interested in jumping!

Paradox - nice work on both the rain and the 3'! Has Chico had his teeth done recently?

Classy - Shame about the trade not working out. I agree with Paradox about the video though, I love seeing a good video when I'm (window) shopping. Gabriel certainly a handsome boy, he looks like he's modeling for a statue! I have no idea why I thought he was a grey though Thanks for the jingles, it's looking like he just needs the new joint supplements and to be kept in regular work. I on the other hand am healing a little bit slower, though I'm now yellow and brown instead of black and blue!

Thanks Paradox - yup, the ribbon was a nice bonus - the sense of accomplishment was priceless. I am looking forward to our next show. (He does look happy doesn't he?!)