The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 175 of 475 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177185225275 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,500 of 9496

Aww poor Amazon, I hope she settles down soon

1 members found this post helpful.

Hi, all! I posted here a few times about a year and a half ago. I am a young English re-rider (never atopped riding, just took a few years off to.break colts at a cutting and reining barn). I started back with an amazing Hungarian WB gelding, and we won year end high point jumper and competed up to 3'6" in just the four.shows we got to attend. I also went to my first rated show, and we placed in all three classes. Unfortunately, on August 1st I noticed he wasnt himself. Within a week, his gorgeous coat was dull, he was lame in the back end (then the front), and wouldnt come up to eat. I believed it to be EPM (posted on here for some insight as well, as I was a nervous wreck as I had to wait till the next morning to see a vet). Turns out I was correct, and it was very high. They said it would be most humane to euthanize him. On August 7th, I lost my superstar heart horse.
    Flash forward to today, when, after a.break, I finally purchased another horse-Expensive Taste, or Jake. He is a Thoroughbred cross, and is full of personality. He has done a little bit of everything, but is a wonderful equitation mount. I will primarily ahow him locally in Tennessee and Alabama, and dabble in the medal, hunter,and jumper classes. I hope to one day soon get back to schooling over 4' and maybe compete at that level again. For now, I am obtaining my masters.degree online while tryinf to introduce the boyfriend of three months.to horse shows
    I look forward to.chatting with yall!

Welcome back MSHunter. I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your heart horse. Many of us here on this thread have been through it and know how hard it is.

Congratulations on your new horse. He sounds lovely and we look forward to hearing about your adventures together.

As for us, we have traded snow and ice for thunderstorms, so back to the indoor for us. 3 weeks to show season....Mother Nature better smarten up soon!

Welcome MSHunter! And congrats on the new horse. So sorry about your other boy.

HazelG - We've gone from 80+ last week and part of this week to a high of 60 with a frost warning...farming in the south encourages consumption of boxed wine! UGH!

Thanks, yall
    I was in shorts till this coldspell yesterday. Brrr! Poor Jake was shipped down here and shed all this hair....hes probably thinking where am I and why is it.hot one day and cold the next? (i am currently wearing long sleeves and a north face....)

It's snowing

Jumped a 3'9 course today...tons of fun!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

MSHunter - welcome back! I'm jealous of your 3'9 jumping, I'm starting to feel way more comfortable at the smaller stuff (2'6 lol) so hoping I'll be able to move up in the not so distant future.

Finzean - glad everyone came out of the adventure mostly unscathed. Love that your DD wants to go XC now - kids are so fearless!

CR - oo sounds exciting about the new one. Fingers crossed the girl likes Velvet. I definitely agree that you should try a canter on him before buying though.

Well I had 3 awesome rides today, so am feeling a lot better after my dud lesson! Trainer keeps saying it was just a fluke...I hope she's right. I rode 2 of faves, Winnie (HolsteinerXTB) & Gabby (TB) and then hopped on Sadie (TB), who I am liking more and more. Having an awesome ride on Winnie felt especially good because although I've enjoyed him my past few rides its been A LOT of work on my part to get him moving out and round. This ride he was soooo much easier - I think its because I'm starting to get my leg underneath me better & riding in less of a chair seat.

Gabby was her usual sweet self - very up at first because its like 10 degrees cooler than it has been and there were lots of kids running around the barn which she's not used to. She settled really nicely & loved trotting through the huge puddles at one end of the arena!! We didn't canter because the footing was too sticky. I rode the others in the grass arena.

Sadie got an A today, which feels great after her F for behaviour outdoors last week! She did awesome in the grass arena despite distractions. I'm riding her canter way better than I was at the beginning. I'm so relieved I finally feel like my riding is improving, because I've been at such a stalemate for the past few years. I'd like to get her moving more 'long and low' because she gets quite tense and curly in her neck but is not engaged with her hind end at all.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

New guy is HERE!

I only have one crappy picture because he arrived after dark tonight-- but I will post new ones when I go to check on him tomorrow morning!

It's been chilly here as it has been for everyone else. So sorry you've gotten more snow, Hazel! Hope it melts fast!

CR, good luck with the Morgan! Really hope it works out!

Soloud, congrats! Can't wait for the pics!

MSHunter, welcome. I was very sorry to read about your previous horse. What a sad story, and your heart must have been truly broken. Your new one sounds fun, though. 3'9"? You're way ahead of the rest of us. I haven't jumped that high for over 30 years and probably never will again. You may be bored by the rest of us, who celebrate small victories like cantering, sitting a spook, going outside the ring, or jumping a crossrail.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

soloud, can't wait to hear about your new guy settling in and seeing pics! I bet you're excited.

MSHunter, sorry for your loss. Sounds like you're well on your way, though.

Event4Life, nothing like riding a number of horses to get back up to speed with your riding. That's awesome. Sounds like you're having fun, too!

Hazel, I don't envy your weather. I bet you have awesome (if short) summers, though!!

Rode Saturday and Sunday! It was beautiful here. Saturday I was able to ride both Chico and The-Horse-With-No-Name. She is really nice. I really like her. Sunday I only rode Chico (some over fences), and my DH rode new girl. He jumped her some and she did great. I'm very happy with her. Will try to post a few pics from this weekend.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

soloud - Hope new guy settles in easily!

HazelG - Hope you get a sudden warm front and all your snow melts. I don't miss living up north!

Paradox - Your new girl sounds awesome, and she needs a name! lol

I rode 3 yesterday too. Started with crabby appy mare, who is in heat, so was even more grumpy than usual. We had a CTJ when she pinned me in the corner of her field....if she's used at camp there's no way we could let the kids get her on their own. That will be a PITA because her field is out in the "back 40." She was a lot better than I expected under saddle, and she got both her canter leads twice! Yay! Go Lucy! She also did some cavalettis and managed not to fall on her face despite her short little pony western jog type trot. Whee!

Then then then I got to have a jumping lesson on Winnie the warmblood! WHOOP! It was so so much fun! And a really nice surprise for me because I totally didn't expect Karen to let me jump him. He has such a back cracking, ROUND jump lol I had to learn to stay with it, but it was awesomeeeee. We did a few small verticals and the grid. I still can't believe how lucky I am to get to ride such nice horses.

Sadie was good too. I got her walking and then trotting through the puddle which is still festering at one end of the sand arena, and then we went on a walk with the pony kid. She's mostly redeemed herself after last week :-D.
    Last edited by Event4Life; Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:38 AM. Reason: grammar
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Default Pics

Okay, a few pics. My DH body clipped the new girl! She's feeling much better after workouts with the new do!

Most are of DH and horse since I didn't ride yesterday. I'll get a few pics of me riding next week. But I will add one of me riding Chico yesterday.

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...psf6c17e44.jpg

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps7deaaff3.jpg

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps3d410c30.jpg

Her form looks better with bigger jumps and oxers. Plus she got pretty close to this one! Lots to work on.

And Chico: http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...pse250b570.jpg
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Paradox! LOVE!

Event4Life - Sounds like a big, exciting day. I have to laugh about your kids being so brave comment! DD is a giant chicken! She's talking big about learning x-ctry! The part about her idea of an errant equine being one that doesn't move off one's leg immediately was NOT exaggeration! She's feeling awesome about living through the Alpaca Death Squad attack, though, and talking big. I'm going to attempt to capitalize on it. LOL

Glad for the warmer weather in the forecast. Hopefully we will all be back in the saddle by the end of the week! And in sleeves, no less!

I am awaiting the farrier. Amazon & The Bumper Car have settled down. Gave a few lessons on Saturday to the little people (5 year olds, not midgets! ) and the Connie x mare was all good...I swear I wish I could replicate that mare in a 16.2 package...I'd be a millionaire! Either that or broke from trying to keep and feed them all! ha! She's just got the best brain ever! Little Pig Pen was a good boy for the teensy people, too. Just his typical pony self.

So, until the farrier comes and gets a shoe back on the Amazon, I'm on farm chores. This crazy weather means hauling baby plants in and out of cold frames so they won't get frostbit, etc. And I'm also channeling Carl Spackler of Caddyshack farm...freaking moles tearing up everything!

Back to DD...gotta brag a little on my 12 year old. She has a pal down the road - a 70+ yr old widow - that she just loves. The woman has a cocker spaniel that DD walks sometimes. The dog broke its leash so DD grabbed a pair of old broken reins from the tack room this weekend and has proceeded to use an ice pick & hammer to "drill" holes, and some waxed thread we had left over from some craft poject...she has sewn a handle onto the rein and is attaching a snap at the hook and stud end and giving this lady a new, stylish leash for the dog. Brilliant kid!

OK - back to the chores! Everyone enjoy your week!!

MSHunter - So sorry to hear about you losing your boy, but it sounds like Jake is going to take you where you want to go. (3'9" eep!)

Event - Good lessons yay! Why is it that the slightest change in the weather gets them so excitable?!

soloud - PICS! Pretty please?

Paradox - OMG love her, she looks great! Although I will now have that horse with no name song by America stuck in my head all day Can you send your DH to explain to my DH that real men jump? Chico is also quite cute, he looks like a fun one!

Paradox - DD sounds like such a sweetheart, you should be proud of her. Good luck with the x-country though!

I have no sympathy for those of you with cooler weather (I have jealousy!), expecting a high of 95 today. And so it begins.

Paradox - love the pics!

Finzean - You have every right to be very proud of DD - she sounds like a wonderful young woman.

Event - I really admire your ability to ride multiple horses in one day. One is more that enough for me!

MSHunter - WOW - 3'9" . . . not sure I will ever get there - congrats to you!

Soloud - can't wait for pics . . .

As for me, I had a good lesson on Saturday. Trainer said I did great, I always feel like I could have done better. Anyway - someone talk me off the ledge - trainer thinks I should do a combined test on May 5! Schooling dressage/CT show that several of my fellow boarders are going to do. Nice low key facility, close to us, so trailering would be pretty reasonable. Dressage test looks pretty simple, fences just 2' (in lessons we're jumping 2'3 and 2'6). It's all inside too. My biggest fear - that I'll forget the dressage test . . . have to decide by this Thurs . . .
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Duplicate!
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Tiger Horse, can you have a reader? Go for it!!

Thanks all for your nice comments in pics. I, too, have been singing the America song! Good thing I like it.

Off to spend the afternoon in court. Yay, fun.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Tiger Horse - So what if you forget the test? You get experience for the both of you, among friends in a low stress environment that isn't going to break the bank. Go for it and have fun!

Tiger Horse - have someone call the test. I'm a big mouth so I get pegged to call at DD's schooling shows sometimes. I say go for it, regardless, and if you can't find someone to call before hand, I'm sure you can find someone willing to help you out on the grounds. If I was there, I'd call for you.