The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 174 of 456 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184224274 ... LastLast
Results 3,461 to 3,480 of 9110

Quote Originally Posted by MillysGirl View Post
    I have spent way, way too much time reading huge swathes of this thread! I am a young re-rider, and I'm trying to figure out what I can reasonably accomplish with my teeny budget and full-time job. How does everyone figure out what they want to do with horses? How did you know whether or not it was worth it to you to show? How did you know it was time to buy a horse (or not)?

Some days I want to push hard and go as far as I can, other days I look at my bank balance and wonder why I ever got into a half-lease! I haven't been able to find a pace/goals that seem to fit for me. Anyone else with this problem?
    I am 25, and I had this problem.

My issue was:

1. I could continue to pay $35+ per ride to take lessons on school ponies, which, once the barns determined I could ride, was actually paying $35+ per ride to school their ponies for them. Eventually, beating up on ponies that don't turn, stop, or go got annoying because I myself really wasn't learning anything.

2. I could try to find something to lease, but in my area people have this infernal idea that half leases should pay a monthly fee PLUS half expenses, again to ride a lesson horse. Not a lot of private horses up for lease as I live in a college area and students are no longer bringing horses, likely because the ones that would have had trouble affording it don't have mommy and daddy helping at all, so they don't have horses in college;

3. I could find the money and buy something to bring along. I chose option 3 because then at least I am investing my time and $$ into producing something that goes the way I want it to go and does the things I want it to do, as opposed to paying for the privilege of doing it for someone else.

It's not always easy. I can afford board + shoes + the occasional lesson, but I'm not getting lessons 3x a week and if the horse ever needed expensive footwork etc I'd have to find places to cut back.

I also had to decide what I really wanted to do. Realistically, I could not afford a nice horse + the lessons required to do the hunters or jumpers, so I went back to something I know better: eventing. It's more expensive in some ways but less in a lot of others, and I'm enjoying it. However, I am realistic. My goal is to maybe, someday, go training, if I get over my general chicken-ness. What's nice about being an adult is that nobody can say boo about it and I get to do exactly what I want with my horse.

I didn't enjoy just taking lessons once or twice a week and just going around in circles, so for me buying was the best way to accomplish what I wanted even though financially it does not always come up roses (board + shoes + stuff = about $775 a month for me.)

dreaminOTTB - sent you a PM. Hope we can catch up next Saturday or Sunday! Hopefully we'll have a few more folks from this thread there as well.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Looking good dreamin!

soloudinhere - I hope I'll get to do option 3 soon too! Fingers crossed I'll be able to find a green OTTB with some talent. I think that's going to be the only way for me to go big since I married for love not money lol.

Random thought/question relating to a horse I mentioned a few pages back, the hunter coming back from a mid bow. If I do buy him is he insurable? Can you insure a horse for injury and/or loss of use if they have a previous injury like a bow even if it's cold/vet checked?

Nice picture, dreamin'. It is good to have you back with us.

Finzean, I hope everyone heals with minimal emotional scars from the encounter with the Alpaca Death Squad, but...please start a blog! Or do you have one already?

MillysGirl, I don't know what to tell you. Like most of us, your equine opportunities are limited by what's offered in your area. I grew up doing Pony Club rallies and horse trials, but the barn near me now is a H/J barn, so that's what I do now. I did a half-lease for DD when she was riding, but for myself I never did; I rode greenies for DD's coach, and she never charged me because I was doing her a favor. She even let me piggyback onto some of DD's group lessons while I was teaching the little QH (mentioned earlier in thread) to jump. So I considered myself lucky.

I never intended to buy a horse for myself. Coach has plenty of projects for me. However, I started riding Sky for someone else, fell in love with her, and then when she was put up for sale, I figured out a way to afford her. Coach gives me a break on board so she can use Sky for IEA and IHSA shows. So I manage although I do pay for lessons now.

I am resigned to the probability that I will never event again. I would love to, but not only am I a lot older than I used to be , but Sky is not the eventing type. She is not bold and has a nice rolling hunter canter and pretty hunter jump. So my new goal is to get to a AQHA show with her within the next few years. Those shows seem somewhat affordable, and they even have a special division for the over-50 crowd.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Oh, yeah--about Rolex. I can't go. I would absolutely love to, but it always comes at the absolute worst time in the semester. I am overloaded with work, so I will have to wait till I retire to go.

Button, I would call an equine insurance agent and talk. I remember asking all sorts of questions of an insurance agent for Equisport when I was getting ready to insure Sky...we had several email conversations, and the agent was so patient and thorough.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Quote Originally Posted by Button View Post
    Random thought/question relating to a horse I mentioned a few pages back, the hunter coming back from a mid bow. If I do buy him is he insurable? Can you insure a horse for injury and/or loss of use if they have a previous injury like a bow even if it's cold/vet checked?
    You can, but if the injury is known at the time of taking out the insurance, the affected leg will probably be excluded.

2 members found this post helpful.

MillysGirl - those are all eternal questions for me! And add into it the fact that I kinda want to do both h/j AND eventing - OY! And I'm about to turn 37.

It doesn't help that I was spoiled when I was young/teen - my family kept 3 horses down the street from our house in CT, for $50/month rough board. 11 acres, all to just us! And now I'm in eastern MA where even rough board is beyond my current reach. It's really disheartening.

*sigh*

I’ve been reading everyone’s posts but have fallen behind in replying. I’m sorry, but I just don’t have the ability to do individual replies today as is my norm – I woke up at 2:30 AM and couldn’t get back to sleep for the life of me, so I’m draggin!

Anyway, Finzean, can I just say that you are AWESOME! I laughed SO HARD as I was reading your post! …As others have said, I’m sure it was anything but funny at the time, so I’m very glad everyone is relatively ok. But, as others have said, I also will forever think of the ADS now anytime I see an Alpaca. …At the last barn, that lady bred Alpacas. So, all 3 of mine are used to them. Still, the Alpacas could sometimes freak them out if they all circled like a school of sharks. So, I trained all 3 of mine to trot boldly into/through the group of Alpaca-Sharks, which made them disperse and made my horses feel like big shots. The only thing I couldn’t get them to stop being afraid of was when the Alpaca studs would fight each other – whoever said they sound like aliens is right! It’s a terrible noise and commotion!

Soloudinhere – I’m so excited for you to get your new pony!!! Eeeeee!!!!!

MillysGirl – When I got my first horse, I was not making much money at all. But I had no interest in doing the lease thing – I wanted a horse all to myself. So, I got a second job at a Dressage stable so I could learn stuff before buying while making extra money to boot. It took me about 6 months to save and learn before I found Gabriel and brought him home. As far as setting goals with the riding/showing, I think that’s a very personal decision. I thought I wanted to show really badly. And I would like to show, but I no longer find it to be a huge goal. I’d much rather just enjoy myself and my horses, because they’re just too darned expensive not to enjoy! If showing makes you happy, you should shoot for that. I find happiness in just having a good ride in the arena and when I go on a 3-day Trail Ride in the mountains every year.

……………………..

As for me, I wanted to give a small update. My 3 got their Spring shots last night. I have to give it to them – every one of them was such a champ. Rose and Velvet both stood relaxed through the shots and Coggins pull (Velvet was half falling asleep, in fact). Gabriel has never been a fan of needles, but he’s always a good egg about it. If he wasn’t so darn terrified, it would be hilarious the way he reacts every single time – the moment the vet uncapped the needle, Gabe knew exactly what was going on. He put his big, long Saddlebred neck straight up in the air, started blowing as if he’d just galloped a Cross Country course (and continued to blow that way the *entire* time needles were visible), but stood like a rock. I am guessing part of him standing so well is because I was the one holding him – apparently my friend Erin had tried to hold him once for the vet a few years ago and he was just pacing and pacing all over the place. But he stands for me – what a good boy. <3

Also, I talked to the breeder of the Morgan that I fell in love with. She said she’s happy to hold him for me until her daughter (the trainer) can come up and try out Velvet. Wow - was that a huge weight off my shoulders! I was SO afraid the gelding would get sold before then! That’ll be the first Friday in May, so everybody please keep your fingers crossed for me that it all works out and I can do a trade for the Morgan!!! (Oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please!!!)

@Classy - yay! Great news about the Morgan! I'll cross my fingers!!

Good luck, Classy! I hope it all works out for you. Did you give the Morgan a good test ride? Maybe you can ride again once more and be sure he is the boy for you. But I understand if you don't. Sometimes you just know.

Waiting for clear weather to ride the new girl. Tomorrow and Sunday we should be able to ride. Yay!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    Good luck, Classy! I hope it all works out for you. Did you give the Morgan a good test ride? Maybe you can ride again once more and be sure he is the boy for you. But I understand if you don't. Sometimes you just know.
    I did most of a good test ride. I did Walk/Trot in the big outdoor, walked outside of the ring around their property some, walked in and around the indoor - he was awesome! I made sure to let them know I do want to come back and ride again and canter him before I buy (I was going to force myself to canter that day, but the Trainer saw me overthinking it and second-guessing, knew my background with the canter-confidence-issues, and suggested I just hold off and do it next time). So, yes, this is all some-what dependent on the second test ride, but I watched a young girl canter him and he was just fine. So I don't have any worries. The one and only reason I didn't canter that day is because I was overthinking it and psyching myself out.

...How exciting you'll get to ride her at home soon!!!! Have a wonderful time!

1 members found this post helpful.

Awesome, Classy. Sounds like you have a great plan. I don't blame you for the whole cantering thing. Maybe next time there will be little hype and you can just calmly do it. I do think it would be great if you could get it done while you are still testing him out. Then if you feel good, when you get home with your new guy, (If he is the right pony) you will be good to go! I'm sending good vibes your way!!!
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I wanted to respond to everyone individually, but there were so many! Thanks dreaminOTTB...and could I get your lower leg? I have the same sliding back thing going on, and I've been working on it, but mine isn't as nice as yours yet!

I am lucky that my lease is a set rate, and is not expenses + fees. I actually lease her from my instructor, which I lucked into after looking for a half lease without any success for almost a year. The cost of keeping an unused horse here is relatively low, because so many people have property. Leases are very rare here...I only know one other person who leases. We're also sort of in the middle of nowhere, English riding-wise.

I can't swing a horse right now, as I am saving up for a work exchange to the UK, but I am working part-time at the barn along with my real job so I can afford 2 lessons on my lease horse each week soon. I love, love, love my lease mare (that would be Milly ), but she is much nicer than I could ever afford to buy. In terms of showing, unless I want to shell out $2,000 each time to go to shows in cities 10hrs away, I'm sticking to local shows...at least until I figure out what I'm doing.

Finzean, your story was INCREDIBLE. Definitely a wine and chocolate kind of event!

Thanks for the insurance answers, I've never owned one worth insuring before (I've mostly leased as a grownup), I'll talk to an agent about it.

Classy - fingers, toes, knees, ankles, and eyes crossed, keep us updated.

Milly - do you know where in the UK you might be going? There are some great places to ride over there (though it's generally frightfully expensive).

Millysgirl - after having ridden the trails for 30 years, I fell in love with dressage. Started taking dressage lessons in late Sept 09 and by Nov, I had sold my trail mare and bought my dressage horse! 4 years later, we are still doing dressage - but have now added jumping to the mix. Would like to do a mini event this year - who'd a thunk that at the age of 55 I'd have finally figured out what I'd like to do! That said, alot depends on the facilties available and the kind of horse you want/have.

Classy - hope it all works out for you - fingers crossed!

Finzean - how is everyone after yesterday's adventure?

Paradox - have a great couple of rides!
    ------------------------------------------

Had a very frustrating ride yesterday - no turnout due to weather and vet coming for spring shots. Very brisk by the time I mounted and although I lunged a bit first (and he seemed fine) he was just so obnoxious. The only gait that was any good was our walk. Trotting and cantering was a nightmare, one of those days when he just blew thru my aids. Then, of course, I get tense and he gets tense and well, you can imagine. I know he just needs a good turnout/run in the indoor - hopefully, I can manage to do that before I ride tonight, it was too busy last night . . . lesson on Saturday morning . . .
    Last edited by Tiger Horse; Apr. 19, 2013 at 02:23 PM. Reason: spelling
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Millysgirl, keep enjoying your lease horse. She sounds nice. And local shows can be just as much fun as rated shows. That's all I really do! They're close, they're relatively cheap, and I have fun. So it's a win-win-win. And even better when I do win (that's just a bonus!).

TigerHorse
    , sorry about your energetic ride. I think it's the time of year for that. Rainy/cold weather with some spring wind, and they're all "up". I hope you have a nice, fun lesson tomorrow.

Button, my experience with insurance has been, like others have said, the insurance company will not cover that particular leg. But insuring 3 good legs is better than nothing! Oh, and one of my BEST jumpers had a bow. I think I have some OLD video here. Let me look....okay found it. This horse never took a lame step when I got him, so bows are not necessarily bad. The last jump he totally jumped me out of the tack. He was a fun horse. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQY51kw9CWc

Dewey, I've always wanted to do an AQHA show. I guess I never have had an AQHA, though. I had a registered Paint for a while, but he didn't stay sound. Technically I could do an Appaloosa show with Chico. He's registered ApHc and he's also registered anglo Trakehnerr. When I first got him I thought he was a mutt (loveable, though he is!). Then a year after I got him, low and behold, I got two sets of papers for him from the previous owner.

Have a great weekend everyone!!
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Thanks Paradox for the info and the video, those are some tall standards on that second fence. You guys looked good though!

Here's a (crazy long lol) video from quite a while ago before he did it, carting his girl (12 or 13 yo) around a wee hunter course (posted by her).

He's cute, Button. Looks honest and sane. My favorite combination.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I know I'm going to miss some folks...apologies...

MillysGirl - I remember those days...pinched pennies til I could hear Lincoln weeping. Cool that you've got access to a nice horse. I, too, like the local stuff - no pressure. If you tank a class or your greenie does an airs above ground display, it's not like you're out a ton of money. And they can have a great little community if you're lucky.

Paradox - horse update?? Is she home with you?

Classy - crossing fingers...AND toes!

Tiger Horse - we are living the twin lives with the need for turnout and circles on a string for our critters! Does it have to be 95 degrees outside for the spring sillies to evaporate? Cause...well, 95 just makes me not want to ride even if it does mean my critter might not be so fresh. Thanks for asking about The Aftermath... see below...

Dewey - The Amazon is/was going to be my ticket back to eventing but IDK...some days I just think it would be okay to hack around and do an occasional dressage show or local h/j show. But the reality is that really the only thing I LOVE to do is cross country. I prefer the old format & old style courses that more closely resembled hunter trials jumps peppered with giant benches w/scarecrows and hay wagons, round bales, etc. There was a certain part of me yesterday that was totally juiced over how The Amazon's gallop felt...it was sort of OMG wow! I guess hunting might give me my fix to some degree but...nah, not really.

So, yeah, The Aftermath...

Thanks for the kind words about my story telling...the chaotic life we lead around this joint fortunately/unfortunately provides a ridiculous amount of material. And no one ever believes it...but I swear you can't make this sh!t up! Hahaha - maybe I should blog about it...might start with In Home Bat Removal with a Bee Veil & Sand Bucket...good gawd, the crazy we live in!

Oh, yeah - The Aftermath...

The college kid was understandably VERY, VERY sore today. The Bumper Car doesn't wear shoes so the places where she stepped on the kid are bruised and nasty looking but could have been worse. College Kid's dad is calling the horses dumb animals for freaking out over the Alpaca Death Squad...he is currently persona non grata and I am plotting a trail ride for him that involves strange dogs, ATVs, and low branches...

DD & the Connie x mare are JUST FINE, no worse for the wear & DD is now asking to do cross country. The mare is totally herself, beating up her turnout buddy (Pig Pen), and acting like nothing happened.

Physically, the road rash on the Bumper Car & the Amazon looks good and is already looking tons better (likely helped from the elevated heart rate that rushed all sorts of healing fluids to the site as they galloped home at Mach 10). Psychologically...they are SUPER ALERT, starting at any little thing while turned out in their pasture...more quiet and settled in their little holding yard but still on alert. I put them in the barn this evening before the bottom dropped out - they were okay until the rain became torrential on the metal barn roof. Neither had any interest in hay & the Amazon kept going from window to stall door; back and forth; back and forth. She ate a couple of treats but got SUPER territorial about her stall (like she was when she first came), laying her ears back, and biting the door frame. I feel so bad for her b/c this is not my Amazon. No telling how long it's going to take for her to settle over this. Hopefully the farrier will come first of the week and I can get on her in the ring mid week for some quiet walking with the Connie x. Eventually I've got to get those horses back to the scene of the incident - just thinking we'll be doing it in hand. It's a long way to walk but TODAY I can't conceive of riding that way again....

Hope everyone has a great weekend in the saddle & out!