The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 172 of 322 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172173174182222272 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,440 of 6438
    between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Dewey - Yes, she is. She's from a local TB farm but didn't work out as a racehorse. She is literally the sweetest horse ever - she comes when she's called, will put her head in your arms and stand forever if you rub her forehead. She has a lovely floaty trot and nice rhythmic canter. I took her over a few little jumps in the round pen yesterday (just lunging her) and she jumped nicely once she figured it out. I hate not having any money . Luckily she's not being advertised yet, but when she is I'll just have to remind myself what we've been telling you about your QH guy.

NJR - Good luck!!!

HazelG - I know the feeling. I'm sitting here trying to do a stupid assignment for grad school and I'd so much rather be at the barn right now. Ugh. Hope your shift isn't too bad! I never did 12 hours but I did do 9 a few times when I worked retail. Give me 12 hours at the barn over 9 hours in a mall any day of the week, even if the weather sucks!
    Last edited by Event4Life; Apr. 15, 2013 at 08:54 AM.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

RolyPolyPony – I’m so sorry your tailbone is acting up. Ugh – how frustrating! Well, I guess it’s good that you got on and nothing bad happened, even if it was only for 10 minutes. That’s a positive experience, right? Now you just have to focus on getting yourself better.

Event4Life – Yay for the great purchases! Sounds like you really needed a new helmet and boots. I think us horse people are to Tack Shops like kids are to candy stores. Also – wow! You’re rockin’ the barn time – that’s awesome! I wish I could spend my days in horse-land instead of typing computer code at a desk.

Tarheel – How’s Tajar doing?

Rubygirl – How was the clinic? ….And thank you so much for your kind words. I think your jingles helped – it’s funny how life just sort of points you in the right direction when you keep yourself open to it. I have decided to put Rose up for sale, as well. That’s especially difficult for me because she is *such* a good girl, but I’ve realized I’m never going to be able to give her the education she really needs, and if I sent her to a trainer, it would be a couple of years until I felt as comfortable on her back as I was when I tried the Morgans (read my bottom portion). So, in order to give both her and myself a fair shot at happiness, I have her for sale.

Twelvebelles – I absolutely love my Saddlebreds. I’ve dreamed of having one since I was a little girl – I thought they were the most beautiful breed. And I’m shocked at how good of a girl baby Rose has been for this whole starting process. She’s only been sat on 4 times, so she’s still a little nervous about the whole mounting process, but she’s SO smart and has taken it all in stride. Saddlebreds, at least the ones with good bloodlines behind them, are extremely willing, brave, and sweet horses.

Quietann – I so enjoyed reading your description of the Morgan breed and the ones you’ve known. Based on what I saw this weekend, I think you really described them perfectly – they are SO smart, but tend to use it for good and not evil. LOL Either way, I’m used to that type – Gabriel is smart and can be stubborn at times, but he’s a solid citizen who takes excellent care of me when it counts. That’s the feel I got from the Morgans I looked at, too. …And HOORAY for your girl starting to come around! I’m sure she’s glad to be Trotting and Cantering a little bit again.

Tiger Horse – I’m sorry your ride the other night wasn’t that great. We all have those from time to time. Try not to worry about it – the next one will be better.

SuperD – Aaawww – sounds like an excellent birthday for Super D! He sounds like a character – I love it! And happy birthday to Jack today!!!

ParadoxFarm – Good to hear you had a blast in Ohio! HOORAY for the new horse!!!! OMG – I can’t wait to “hear” all about it!!!

Soloudinhere – OMG!!! How exciting – your new boy is almost here!!! That is too cute that your honey wants to ride – hooray! I love it when my fiancé comes out and rides around with me.

DreaminOTTB – I adore those pictures!!!! Your guys look great together, and boy are you smiling. How wonderful! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

NJR – I hope your lesson was fantastic!
    ……………………..

So, I visited the Morgans on Sunday. I have to say that I am completely impressed with these critters and how solid their brains are. It’s also funny that sometimes the animal picks you as much as you pick them.

They had chosen 5 horses for me to look at. I went into each one's stall and petted them and felt them over. One guy in particular was in-my-pocket-friendly, which I loved. I narrowed it down to 2 I’d like to see ridden, including that boy. They both went great, but that gelding really stood out to me. He went around SO calmly and nicely, had good movement, and didn't do one thing wrong. So, I hopped on him.

He’s a little green at coming 5, but oh so sane. I felt completely safe on him, and his gaits were *so* smooth. I wanted to buy him on the spot but I need to wait until at least 1 of my girls sells. The good thing is that the trainer said she’d be very interested in trying Velvet to see whether we can do a partial trade for the gelding I rode. If that works out, I’ll be set. Problem being they aren’t coming up this way for 3 weeks – and if he sells in the meantime, there’s nothing I can do about it. ….So, I’m just trying to cook up ideas in my head of how to get this all to come together.

Really, I probably shouldn’t have went window shopping before I was ready to buy, but I told them in my first email about my situation and they offered for me to come – I really just wanted to try out the breed to see if I liked them. Silly me, I should’ve known I’d fall in love with one.
    Last edited by ClassyRide; Apr. 15, 2013 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Add bolding

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, that was exciting.
    Had quite a wild ride this morning in my lesson. First time this year cantering outside. It was quite cool and windy, but sunny. We went to the left and everything was fine. To the right she picked it up really well and everything was fine. As I went to bring her back to trot she slung her head around and I must have gripped with my legs and stuck my spurs in.....Can you say "bronc"? C. just kept yelling, "Sit up! Look UP!" while I tried to do that and pull her head out from between her knees. Seriously, there was NO head and neck visible in front of me! I managed to guide her into the corner where she had nowhere to go and she stopped. Must admit I was a little shaken, but at least I stayed on.
    C. being the sadist he is, he made us go out on the 20m circle and get a nice rhythmic trot on both sides before he'd let me get off.
    I asked him later if he thought I was coming off and he said he only wished I could sit up straight like that when I was riding. I'll take that as a yes.
    Next lesson, no spurs and we'll try again. I really don't think it was mailicious, just that she was getting poked. Also, she didn't get me off so there's no reason to think she will learn it's an option.
    Whew. I'm getting too old for this.
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Whew, NJR!! Good job staying on!!

Just saw the pics, dreamin - SO cute!! Congrats!!

ClassyRide - yay on the Morgan visit. I hope things work out with a Velvet trade for you. That would be great

Paradox -- Congrats, we can't wait for photos!

RPP - that really sucks about your tailbone. I hope it heals quickly, but there is nothing you can do but wait, which is frustrating.

Nojacket - I would have been in the dirt!

Tajar seems to be 100% better from his abscess. I did not ride Saturday because the pollen was just too awful. There were literally clouds of it floating around at the barn, and everyone had sinus headaches. We got in a chill W/T ride on Sunday. Since no one had been on him all week, I decided to wait for him to have a few training rides before I tried more on my own.

So, since he is better, we'll head to the show this wekend. Hopefully he'll settle in better this time, since it won't be a comletely new environment for him.

I went shopping at an antique market on Saturday, and had a blast (and of course spent too much money on "wants" not "needs"). Sometimes it is nice to spend a weekend day away from horses. This can be such an all-encompassing hobby. I have to remind mysef that there are other things in life, and that I should try to be more well-rounded!

Hope everyone has a great week.
    Last edited by TarheelJD; Apr. 15, 2013 at 12:41 PM.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

ClassyRide, the Morgan you rode sounds wonderful. I hope something works out there. BTW, could you PM me the name of the barn/trainer? I'm keeping a list in anticipation of the sad day when I have to retire Feronia.

At the moment, though, I don't think Feronia is retiring any time soon. She did fabulously on Saturday -- we trotted much more, started trotting around corners with no trouble (once she realized that the old rule of "walk before you get to the corner" didn't apply -- she's smart!), and cantered a bit. She felt perfectly sound, wasn't cranky about anything, and just seems so much happier now. Sunday I took her out for a short trail ride, and while she did a bit of "do I hafta?" heading out, she was good. Very looky and alert, but good.

NJR: that sounds like a scary ride... eep. Glad you stayed on.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

NJR - great job!!
    Classy - hope it works out with the Morgan. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
    Tarheel - glad to hear that Tajar is on the mend.

I'm sure I missed several folks - this is such a lively thread - if I did, it's not intentional!

Report on yesterday's lesson as promised. I think my trainer is trying to kill me!
    I can't believe I'm not sore today . . . we have been talking about going to a mini event and she decided that since she had extra time yesterday, she'd give me a taste of what it would be like.

So, we started with 20 minutes of solid dressage work (dressage saddle/bridle) - he was really good - w/t/c. Even an element or two of the test we'll be doing, when the time comes.

Next, change tack - cc w/pelham - for "stadium" phase. 20 minutes of work over fences, then did a short course.

By now, I'm getting pretty darn tired. But, we head down to the outdoor for the "cross country" phase. It was cool and windy - he was trying so hard to be good, but was pretty wound up by now. Did another 20 minutes and ended by jumping the one fence I have always dreaded - a vertical with two blue barrels underneath - I don't know why it scares me, but it does. Anyway, the jump itself was really good - landed and then got the "woohoo that was fun!" bucks down the long side of the outdoor. I didn't even come close to coming off - thank goodness - but, did manage to scare a couple of my fellow boarders!! I was laughing, trainer was laughing, they thought we were both crazy. So, all in all, a terrific but exhausting lesson. By the time I got back up to the barn to unsaddle, I wasn't sure my legs would hold me up! I slept really well last night.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Sounds tiring, Tiger Horse. Also sounds scary as heck to me!

NJR
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Sounds like everyone is having some good rides! I will catch up individually in a bit.

Well, we went to Indiana on our way home from Equine Affaire. Had fun at EA, enjoyed the clinics, and Fantasia. OTTB, wasn't that Russian aeralist with the Saddlebred pretty cool?? I didn't get as many good deals as I thought I might at the vendor booths. But bought a few things.

Yesterday we tried the TB mare. She's 16.3 bay mare, OTTB, but only raced 8 times and never got a first, second, or third. She was actually a bit lazy when we rode. She is out of shape, but she has a really nice attitude. I took a bit of video first of the girl at the barn riding, then Jerry, my husband, riding. Then I rode and no one video'd. But I liked her. Jerry popped her over a fence twice and then I rode and popped her over a fence twice. No hesitation over the little fence. I did a little work on moving her forward in the canter to be sure she WOULD go forward, and she did. And I was able to get her collected a bit. I didn't ride overly long since she's out of shape, but I do think she'll be a good fit. So we paid cash, and took her home! I had already had the owner get a health certificate, etc., since I had a good feeling about this one. Luckily it all worked out. I will post a few links ot pics. I didn't take these, though. They were from her sales ad. I will get updated onces, soon. Oh, and she needs a barn name!! Any ideas? (We were thinking Indy, Jo Jo, Miley, Layla, Penny, Daisy.) Nothing is sticking. Oh, and she's pretty quiet and sweet on the ground. Almost fell asleep while I was petting the side of her face after I rode. Her eyes were closed. Aww.

And here's the short video.
    http://youtu.be/SDvGjMGNmM4

Though she's green at jumping, the owner's friend did do a little beginner event with her. http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps468e7c37.jpg

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps96e4b45f.jpg

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps8d28f674.jpg

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...psf01aeb2e.jpg
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

RolyPolyPony - ooh sorry about the tailbone, I hope it heals quickly!

superD - happy birthdays!

Paradox and soloud - congrats to you both and pictures!

DreaminOTTB - I loved the pics!

NJR - I'm picturing it in my head, you looked awesome! Way to ride it out!

Classy - I'm so glad the visit went well, he sounds lovely. And there's nothing wrong with window shopping, at least I hope not because I manage to avoid getting a lot of work done every day by doing that instead.

Tarheel - glad to hear Tajar is doing well, good luck at the show!

Tiger - there's something about getting over the scary ones, it's like it doesn't matter how everything else goes, that one fence will just make or break your ride. Well done for facing up to it (and staying on after)!

Thanks to everyone for the jingles for my schoolie, he's on stall rest ATT.

I had to ride a new horse for my lesson (I assume all new-to-me horses are going to dump me on my head, and end up riding super defensively), which precipitated a 10 minute long lecture from my trainer about my talent not matching up with my mental picture of how well I ride and that I have to stop putting myself down. Which was immediately followed by new horse refusing a cross rail . Perhaps he has a point when he says I need to get more aggressive...

Paradox, she's lovely! I like the way she's put together! What's her registered name?
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Tiger - wow!! Go you! I would have passed out, I think

Paradox - she's LOVELY!!!! I like Daisy for her, but that's a name I've always loved

And, blergh - my doc is now advising me to not ride for 4 weeks, to prevent reinjury to my blasted bum! (It's much more amusing to say "bum" instead of "tailbone"). *sigh*

Thanks, Dewey and RPP. She is cute. I'm going to add commas to her registered name just because I don't want it searchable on Google just yet. I don't want previous owners to know I'm changing her name right away! By the way, they were very nice folks, all of them. It is M,e,n,a,s,s,e,h. We were also thinking of Nessa.

RPP, we were actually calling her that yesterday and today. We'll see if it sticks. Husband is now thinking it seems like an old school pony's name. And I hope you're feeling good soon!!!
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

ParadoxFarm - Oh. My. GOD she's adorable!!!! And I *love* the way she moves!!! Congratulations - how exciting!!! EEeee!!!! What does Chico think of his new lady?

Names: I've always loved Layla 'cause it makes me think of that Eric Clapton song.

I've also always wanted to have a mare whose show name is Sweet Nothings and then call her Whisper for a barn name. She strikes me as very quiet, so I could see her as a Whisper.

For some reason, I also picture her as a Winnie (or spell it Wynnie - or whatever works).

Ooohhh - how fun picking names!!!

Editing 'cause you posted her registered name:
    You could also call her Minnie, which is extra cute because she's ginormous and not "mini" at all.

Thanks, Classy! I forgot, I did have Minnie on my list. And Mouse, as in, quiet as a .... Mouse. Winnie is cute, too. Layla comes from the song. . I like Whisper. You need to keep that one for your next one, if it fits! And good luck with the Morgans. I think that is cool! I used to ride a friend's Morgan gelding a lot. He was a good boy.

Oh, and Chico is just ecstatic to have a girl if his own, haha. He is a happy boy.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Congratulations, Paradox!
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Sorry Paradox! I think I was posting at the same time you posted the links, what a cutie! I like Minnie too!

Paradox - congrats - love her, what a beautiful girl.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Paradox!! YAY! She's so cute and I love her "yeah, I'll get there when I get there" way of going. She's going forward but in no rush...just laid back. She's so cute!