The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 166 of 508 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168176216266 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,320 of 10158

Shoot, superD, I couldn't see the pic. (Not on FB.)
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

yeah, I can't see the picture either, SuperD. I think you have to change the settings to public, or something.

Paradox, good luck with your TB. I hope it works out! I watched the video of the Appendix mare. She looked really cute and pretty well-schooled, too, although I only saw one clean change. She was kind of a brat with your DH, and I couldn't figure out quite why as it looked as if he was giving her plenty of room to go forward and was not interfering with her. Who knows?

RolyPP--so sorry about your fall! Do not push yourself to do anything you don't want to do. Losing your confidence will spoil riding for you. Keep us posted.

Welcome back, CVPeg! Wow, it's been Old Home Week with you, dreaminOTTB, and Opus all showing up! I love it.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I just had a great lesson last night! I haven't been jumping too high on most the horses, usually 2'3 because my nerves get me, but last night was doing 2'6 courses and it was amazing! I absolutely love my instructors horse Popeye. He is such a great horse to learn on and I was able to think more about my corners and approaches than the actual jumping. I really need to work on popping down too quick on the backside of the jump, but other than that it was awesome. I even had another rider in my lesson tell me that is the best she has seen me ride. I don't think she understands how much that meant to me. Now if only I could be so confident on some of the other horses at the barn.

1 members found this post helpful.

Vetting passed-- welcome to the family, new horse!

Already sent $300 to the Rambo sale...and $200 to smartpak...and getting ready to write some more checks at the Cheshire Horse sale this weekend...

soloudinhere, AWESOME! Happy for you. Easy to spend on the new critters, isn't it!?

rockonxox, sounds like a fun lesson. It does mean a lot to be able to trust a horse enough so that you can actually work on yourself without worrying about the horse. Good for you.

Dewey, yeah, I agree, DH was riding with pretty light contact. I think Appendix was just out of shape and grumpy about it. She rode fairly well for me, but I was the last rider. I think if it was just the riding part that was off, I would be okay about it. But then adding to the navicular changes and injections and special shoes and adequan and hoof supps, I just thought that was too much for me. Who knows, I may be passing up a nice horse. I mean, she IS a nice horse, but just not the right fit for me at this time I guess!
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    soloudinhere, AWESOME! Happy for you. Easy to spend on the new critters, isn't it!?

rockonxox, sounds like a fun lesson. It does mean a lot to be able to trust a horse enough so that you can actually work on yourself without worrying about the horse. Good for you.

Dewey, yeah, I agree, DH was riding with pretty light contact. I think Appendix was just out of shape and grumpy about it. She rode fairly well for me, but I was the last rider. I think if it was just the riding part that was off, I would be okay about it. But then adding to the navicular changes and injections and special shoes and adequan and hoof supps, I just thought that was too much for me. Who knows, I may be passing up a nice horse. I mean, she IS a nice horse, but just not the right fit for me at this time I guess!
    Hey, I no longer "do" extensive maintenance in a horse.

I'm fine with maybe bar shoes instead of regular, and maybe some corta flex. That's normal. I'll even go so far as to do hocks occasionally for an older horse. I'll feed the best grain possible and I'll even throw some supplements in there.

But one who needs every joint back of the withers injected, a massage therapist, magnetic blanket, etc to stay sound for what I want to do (hint: not the olympics) I don't do it anymore. It's not worth the stress and the inevitable heartbreak when stuff eventually stops working.

Thanks, guys!

I know we all fall off, and it's not even the falling that's getting to me - it's the spooking that led to it, and that's been going on awhile. He's been spooky since I started riding him, but, I dunno, either I've gotten more sensitive to it or he is doing it more. Either way, even before the falls I've been having anxiety about him

Which sucks because he IS generally a good boy (and took care of me at my first show in forever over the summer! Strangely, he's not at all spooky off property!)- but I'm not sure a nervous horse and a nervous rider is the best combo!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

OK I think I fixed it.

Jack is the grey and Deagan is the bay

Not much going on here. My trainer will be taking Jack to his first event this season on the 28th. He has really been going well post colic. Now just to get his weight back up.

Deagan is enjoying his romps in the ring. He is such a funny boy.

Paradox I hope this one fits the bill for you!! I hate horse shopping, but love the new horse STUFF shopping

Rolypolypony- sorry about your falls. Sounds like he may need to work on that monster corner! Maybe your trainer can work with him some?

Welcome back everyone!!!!
    Last edited by superD; Apr. 4, 2013 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Fixed link

Very cute pic, Super D! Jack has quite a mane!
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

aww..I second Dewey. Very cute.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Sheesh - VERY chatty group! I posted ... yesterday? ... and I feel like I have a week's worth of information to catch up on!

RolyPoly - So sorry about your fall I've been there. I had some BAD falls last year and the year before and it really helped to get some time on some steadfast schoolies while I was getting my confidence back on my guy. Now we're in a MUCH better place and I can handle his occasional nerves so much better! It may be worth it to get a few lessons (not a permanent move!) at another facility if yours doesn't have big enough/suitable mounts (you mentioned the other schoolies were ponies?). Then come back! Any decent instructor will understand!

Super D - cute guys! Everyone seems happy with the green grass popping up!

soloudinhere - Congrats! So easy to spend on the new pony I've been looking around for new paddock boots since mine are holding on by a thread as well as eying a dressage coat and white full seat breeches since I'm actually planning on doing events this year. Sooooo tempting to shop!

Paradox - Yes! I will be at the Columbus EA! I'm heading up with friends on Friday night to see Pfizer Fantasia and then shopping and a few clinics on Saturday. Have to head back pretty early though since I have a show on Sunday. And I liked the look of the appendix!

Dewey - I have the same goal this show season: get out and show Toby that being at a show (or any other place other than the trusty boarding facility we're at) will NOT KILL HIM. He trailers soooo well and would honestly just love to stay ON the trailer rather than get off and DO anything. Once we're at a new place, he just gets so nervous. Part of it, I'm sure, are my own nerves, so we're working on that and keeping me relaxed so I don't add to his own anxiety . It's just silly: we can do a lovely dressage test at home or jump a nice, calm 2'-2'3" course, but take him off the property? All bets are off.

Okay. I think that's it. My big news for the day was that I took Toby on a solo hack (we have a nice long trail that connects our property to a local park). Group trail rides aren't a big issue for him, but solo makes him nervous (see note to Dewey). When I got him almost two years ago, this wasn't such a big deal for him, but his health and fitness (and energy ...) have greatly improved. Well, today we managed a 20 minute hack, staying at the walk, no spooking. He was still a bit nervous/snorting, but he kept his attention on me and listened to everything I asked. Very proud

It I so wonderful to see everybody. let me see if I can remember everyone....

Ottb and Paradox I wish I could go to AE in Columbus but dh has the car and he will not be back until the day after it is over. (sometime it sux being a one car family and having someone in the military that lets the person know with 4days notice he has to go somewhere else after drill) Have fun.

Rolly-poly Sorry about your fall. I agree with what everyone else said. Sorry I cant be more help but it has been since the early 90;s since I have had a fall of any signefance ( knocking on all sorts of wood and carring a horse shoe in back pocket) lucky I guess..

Super-d what a cuite best of luck.

Dewey I wish you luck this summer. I have close to same goals as you do, but I no longer eventing.. sanity sunk in about 25yrs ago.. ( aka had baby under a yr old and a dh who was on the other coast and no one to care for child if anything happened to me. This was before my body started to rebell). But I have the goal to be have my Toby ready for a July show un which I would be happy if he is able or wiling to jump 2'..

soloudinhere So where are the pics.?

I am sorry to those I missed.

-----
    For me I am getting nervous in advance of my lesson. Its not going to be on Toby but a sm or med pony in a western saddle just incase there is a problem with my balance. My greatest fear that I will have no balance side at all in the saddle and fall off at the walk or worse while standing still.

Just thinking about the lesson is making me shake while typing this. I don't know if is a good shake or a bad one.

I have all that I need for the lesson helmet, paddock boots and my chaps but it is my nerves that will most likely fail me.

But I cant wait...I wonder sometimes if I will be able to regain the abilies I once had...
    Friend of bar .ka

bumknees, don't be afraid to hang on to that western saddle if you're at all feeling off balance! It will take a while to feel comfortable again. No biggy. We all go through it! Good luck, take a deep breath, and try to have fun! I think you will.

ottb, I'll be there Friday and Saturday as well, and leaving Sunday morning.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't checked in for a while. So much has happened for everyone that I don't think I can respond to everyone appropriately, so for those having rough patches keep your chins up, things will work out and good times will come again.

My update: Had a terrible week last week, to the point where my regular lesson horse was described to me as my nemesis, and I may have screamed at him in the middle of my lesson. This week got a complete 180, he actually did lateral movements on Wednesday ! We were doing a little course of 4 18" jumps (one away, around a corner to a one stride pair coming home, then a very gentle rollback to one away), and one the third round I realized that the last two had been sneakily lifted to to 2'3" while I was going around the corner. It turns out that I do just fine if I don't have time to think myself into a frenzy. My real nemesis is just my own head lol.

Congrats Button! Sometimes it is best when the jumps get raised and you aren't watching because then you don't have time to think "oooh scary jump" you just end up doing it and feeling awesome. Glad you had a nice lesson.

I have fond memories of a previous trainer that would be messing with jumps and he would always say, "I'm not raising them, I'm just adjusting them." And they were always bigger. ;-) Good job, Button.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I agree - congrats Button! (My trainer does the same thing to me - we start with a simple x or 2 and then all of a sudden, there are verticals and oxers of
    2'3" and the occassional 2'6"!)

bumknees - I am sure you will do just fine. I'm thinking positive thoughts for you.

dreaminOTTB - congrats to you as well. I'm working up to the first trail ride of the season - I can't wait to just get it over with . . .

Very cute SuperD!

soloudinhere - we need pics!

Hopefully, I haven't missed anyone - if so, my apologies!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Thanks for all the kind words. Fingers crossed we'll be doing well again in a few hours (lesson at 4 today)!

Let us know how it goes, Button!
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Congrats on the new horse souldain!! And good luck Paradox with the TB.

Good job on your lesson, Button!

And RolyPony...take your time. Falls happen; but if you need to ride a quieter horse for a bit to find your feet again then do so.

As for me I hacked a TB mare named Sadie this morning. She hadn't been ridden in a few weeks so was a bit mare-ish tacking up. Luckily the groom was around to help because everyone else had gone out for their lesson and I still needed to bridle her. She settled by the time we got to the ring and was actually really good. Trainer wanted me to focus on getting her forward because apparently the last person who rode her had her doing an almost western jog type trot. She did such nice flatwork that at the end trainer had me hop over a few fences, which were also really nice except I dropped her into the small gate the first time. I hate when I do that!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey