The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 162 of 325 FirstFirst ... 62112152160161162163164172212262 ... LastLast
Results 3,221 to 3,240 of 6481

Thanks, all!

I'm still sore enough to not ride tonight - mainly because sitting hurts, and while I've got a fairly strong half-seat, doing so for 45 mins is a bit much!!

Hi Ok I nave decided not to tell the owner anything bad about my experience. Considering the fact that what is bad to one person may not be bad to another and in that regard maybe the horse owner will not see it as bad. Best to let it go. Even though I have another month on my lease I am not going back there-there is no point!

Finzean- Your description with the Arabian show horses sounds a lot like my situation. I was so excited to get involved again I was oblivious to any red flags in the beginning, But the situation could have turned out a lot worse that is for sure.

I am in Western WA near Redmond. Any recommendations positive or negative would be greatly appreciated, Also I found a trainer who sounds good but the lesson rate is $100 with school horse, Average here is $50-$60 with school hose.

Well I took the advice-- pending a vetting, my CANTER cutie is coming home to me on April 20.

2 members found this post helpful.

Woooooo hoooooo, Alterageous! Congratulations! NOW can we pleeeeeease see a picture?
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Lots to catch up. I'll respond more later. Just wanted to say that I'm going to look at the Appendix today at 3:00. Wish us luck!!! I'll take pics and/or video.

Happy Friday, all!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Paradox- Yipee!!! Hope it all works out.

Alterageous- Yea!! I also request pictures. So exciting

Zacdos- I think you are doing the right thing. I have no advice as far as other barns go since I am on the east coast. If you do an advanced search on here you should be able to find something

Congrats Alterageous!!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Congrats Alterageous, fingers crossed for the vetting & GOOD LUCK Paradox for tomorrow! I'm hoping you get an easter pony!

Finzean - your new endeavors sound really exciting. Will PM you on barn details. I'm pondering a visit to your neck of the woods at some point so will let you know! I think the new barn will work out better - I'm kind of reserving judgment and going to try not to jump in head first this time, but no alarm bells are going off.

zacdos - I don't think there's anything wrong with letting the owner know you enjoyed her horse if the opportunity arises. Assuming trainer is going to handle the next lessor the same way she did you the only will figure things out soon enough. If the horse was in danger our advice would be different of course, but as its not, you are doing absolutely the right thing by staying out of it and not continuing the lessons/rides through this month.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Here are all the new guy's pictures (most recent are last)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1183341...7632683714915/

Alterageous, he is lovely! I like the way he is put together, and he has such a sweet, eager expression. And what a brave boy over those fences! I think you are going to have fun with him! What are you going to call him?

I guess you must have gotten him from CANTER Mid-Atlantic as I recognize jleegriffith who also posts on CoTH, I believe.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    Alterageous, he is lovely! I like the way he is put together, and he has such a sweet, eager expression. And what a brave boy over those fences! I think you are going to have fun with him! What are you going to call him?

I guess you must have gotten him from CANTER Mid-Atlantic as I recognize jleegriffith who also posts on CoTH, I believe.
    Yes, that's our own Jleegriffith up for most of the pictures and she has done a super job talking me through all this!

Congrats, Alteragous!

And good luck Paradox!

I have a bad cold, and my horse has one too, so no riding for us this weekend.

Hope those who have taken spills lately are feeling better!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

also, congrats Alteragous ! I have a Canter Cutie as well. I also debated with myself for well over a year about a new horse.

And for the "lawn darts" hope you are both taking nice hot baths with a good libation. Also hope that you both bounce back soon.

Paradox. hope everything goes well, I love appendix horses.

I took the last 3 days off work, my son seems to be OK right now. I think the fear will come out again. What a strange week this has been. I did ride Wed. it feels good to be riding again. I did upset the baby cantering in two point, he turned around and looked like "hey, where did you go ?"I also watched the trainer ride him today, what a talented little man he is. She set up some canter poles to a small vertical, he was great and knew that missing the first pole would require adjustments in his stride and he was great, lots of chaos in the barn and ring.

Hope everyone has a nice Easter weekend. I am enjoying a nice glass of wine, thinking of a hot bath....

1 members found this post helpful.

Waiting with baited breath to hear from Paradox!

Also, I finally posted on the ReRiders MyFitnessPal group thread! It's been several weeks for me, but I finally started my modest exercise program.

I went and watched another instructor today. It was in a beautiful location with great views. The first thing I see was tons of manure in a paddock but I looked in the stalls and they were clean. The last place I was at everything was clean even the paddocks. Then I meet the instructor who seemed nice enough. Rider #1 was having problems and the instructor kept yelling "Kick him hard" wow that made me cringe. Then the rider jerked on the reins and the hoses head went up and I gasped loud enough for the instructor to hear. She wanted to know what was wrong. I told her I am not used to it.She proceeded to tell me the rider is very timid and shy and doesn't like to discipline- right in front of her! Poor rider was very frustrated and trust me the instructor didn't help any. Next rider came in and it was a bit better but I still didn't like her style.

In the meantime, the instructor I had is texting me with messages like "Toi (horse) misses you, he is waiting for you to drive up. I guess she feels a little guilty I of course don't respond.

So its back to square one i finding a trainer hope you are having a great weekend and have a good easter too!

Zacdos-- I know students are a reflection of the trainer, but it is tough to judge a trainer without knowing the horse or student well.

If you watched some of my lessons in which I am openly beating up a school pony, it might not be pretty-- but what you're looking for is progress, and some degree of positivity. I personally don't like trainers that are all smiles, because sometimes, the horse is being a brat, the rider isn't being firm enough, and you just have to say get tough with him. I gave a school pony a right smack last week because he was NOT listening, and I was tired of asking politely and being ignored.

Not sure where you're located but almost all our paddocks are a mess right now with mud that makes them very difficult to clean. We do the best we can but when you can't get a wheelbarrow in there, not much you can do.

Alterageous:

You have some good ideas most I had never thought of. Yes it is muddy here in the PNW and lots of rain means mud!!! I think it is hard to watch a trainer for one or two lessons and it is kind of hit and miss. You don't know where the horse or rider is in their career and like you say look for progress and the only way to do that is go back and watch the same rider and horse a few weeks later. It is a lot different than it was 40 years ago when there weren't many trainers to choose from. I will keep looking and making notes about the trainers and I am learning a lot about the different styles. The more I look the more I will learn and hopefully I will find the right one-it may even be someone I didn't like in the beginning! Keeping an open mind is essential!

Rode today again, I am actually feeling like I can ride again. He is great, I trimmed his mane yesterday and he stood in the cross ties like a champ. Today he stood there again while I talked with people and it was so chaotic but he was happy and relaxed in the cross ties again. I'm not feeling the pressure to get him put away quickly anymore.

Wow, I'm starting to not resent Mr. Stolen's gym time anymore. Life is fun again with my horse.

Throw down hoe down with the Amazon today. She shows mighty talent for throwing her butt waaaayyyyy over her head! This was on the lunge and she was dragging me everywhere. I did get on but she spent that time bowed up and slinging her head - just so cranky today. We finished on a good note and I put her back on the lunge for a couple of rounds each way on voice commands and she was perfect. IDK what was up with her - first thing she did today was break the tie string at the time out tree. So very unlike her usual self. She prefers the time out tree to get groomed and tacked as she can see all her pals. Just one of those days. Tmrw rain so we will give it a whirl Monday. The horses are all in paddocks as the pastures just got reseeded. I'm thinking Amazon just misses her daily laps as she is on a self imposed exercise program consisting of galloping full out for a couple of rounds each day while her bumper car turn out buddy struggles to keep up. Or maybe she was just having a really really really bad day. . Hope everyone is having a great Weekend!

Maybe she is pissed that she did not get some blue eggs ?? Tiss the season.

1 members found this post helpful.