The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 153 of 401 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163203253 ... LastLast
Results 3,041 to 3,060 of 8007

Thanks for the congrats for my girl! Of course now we are getting snow but I can't wait to get out to the barn!

Good luck to you too this weekend Dewey. Let us know how it goes.
    Shows don't start until May up here. And the darn snow had better be gone by then!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, ClassyRide, you were right: Sky had no problem with the trailer. After I rode her today, I opened the trailer, put a couple of horse cookies in my pocket, and led Miss Sky up the ramp. She was cautious...sniffed everything thoroughly, and then carefully, a step at a time (and with plenty of encouragement and cookie bribery), walked onto the trailer. What a relief! She got plenty of hugs and positive reinforcement from Mom and from the onlookers, so I trust she will walk on again tomorrow afternoon when we go to the showgrounds to show the venue to the horses and school over the jumps. That will be the next huge step for her. Saturday is show day!
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Dewey, that's awesome! Sky was a superstar! Have fun schooling tomorrow and good luck on Saturday.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Thanks, Paradox! I am very excited but also nervous as I have never taken her anywhere. I have to not transmit my nervousness to her.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Yay Dewey that's a relief that Sky was so good. Trailer loading can be such a stressful thing. Good luck tomorrow and may Sky rock!!

I think, Dewey, with you going ahead today and schooling over the fences you will find Saturday MUCH easier and less stressful. And remember, we do this for fun. (Some days I have to remind myself!).
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Wow! It sounds like most everyone is progressing in some way. Dewey, that's WONDERFUL that Sky went right on the trailer! YAY!!! I hope your schooling today went phenomenal. Best of luck at your show - I'll be thinking of you!!!

Sorry, I know I'm missing people but I just had to post about my barn time last night...

Unfortunately, I only had time to work 1 horse, so I worked little Rose since she's the baby and has so much to learn. But I've got to tell you, this horse's ability to learn is so incredible! I long-lined her for the second time last night. Not only did she remember what she learned the first time, but she did everything much more smoothly. We steered all around the indoor, halted lots, went right back to the walk when I asked.... There was a little confusion a couple of times when she halted and wanted to turn into me (I don't know where she ever learned that - maybe at her breeder? But I'm not sure how to undo it except while long-lining when I have control over her head). But, she learned quickly to stop square. I even halted her up against a wall and she figured out how to turn on her haunches to move out in the direction I asked. What an awesome kid! I couldn't be happier with her. <3

I did get her a new bit between last session and this one, and I think that did wonders, too. Someone had given me a copper smooth snaffle because she started her baby in it. But Rose did *not* care for that bit when I halted her with it last time. So, I ordered a smooth french link snaffle, and she loved it! Much more willing to accept pressure and flex in that one. Good stuff.

Great news about Rose, ClassyRide! Sounds as if she is making phenomenal progress!

I just got back from the showgrounds. It's about 40 mins from here. Sky was very good overall. She was much more reluctant about loading than yesterday--probably because there were five other horses milling about, waiting to get on, and lots of people running to and fro, so many more distractions. However, the trainer gave me a hand, and after the trainer got a bit firm with her, Sky decided to get on. Took about 20 mins to get her loaded--not too bad.

At the show grounds, Sky was very looky, as all the horses were since this is a new venue. However, she went into a stall and was very good about being tacked up. Under saddle she was great. She jumped all the fences, some with hesitation, but she didn't refuse any until about half-way through our session; we came around a corner and approached a jump she hadn't been over. She did her usual "OMG! New jump!" put-on-the-brakes act, but when I legged her she went forward and I really thought she was going to go. However, at the last second she shied hard, and I came off. Nothing too serious, though. Sky stopped immediately and looked around as if to say, "Where are you, Mom?"

I hopped back on and jumped her over the fence, and she was fine for the rest of the schooling session. Overall, she was very good, and I was proud of her. You are right, Paradox--I am so glad to have gotten all that out of the way before the show. I gave her a quick bath, fed her, and now she is settled with two of her friends in a nice paddock at the show grounds. I knew she would prefer being out.

Sorry for the long post! Time to clean tack!

Good luck at the show, Dewey! Relax and have fun. You'll be fine. We want updates and photos.

The BAL procedure on my horse came back with no significant findings. So he's back to work, with as much turnout as the barn can manage. Rode Tuesday; no cough. Rode tonight; no cough. Have a lesson tomorrow.

Forecast high for tomorrow is 68 degrees!
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Good luck at the show Dewey! Pony4Me, have you tried antihistamines or cough supplements (like a cough syrup)? I hear you on frustrating health issues. Enjoy the weather! It's been good to hear about everyone.

Bugatti and I have "clicked" a lot more, I think, just like everyone said would happen Luckily a lot of it was not personality issues, but more his health/pain issues, and my own emotional baggage leftover from work fogging my view. Nothing lots of Mrs. Pastures cookies can't solve
    There was a lot of trial and error to get to a place where we both can work consistently and move forward. His bit, a rubber D snaffle, turned out to be rubbing his face on his cheek and on his mouth despite him having a relatively soft mouth. This explained why I would ride him one day and he'd be great, and the next he wouldn't. Also explains why my trainer would ride when I couldn't, he had a day off, and then he was "bad" again for me. He was agitated because he was in pain! A happy mouth probably would have a similar problem, so we switched to a loose-ring snaffle with a bit guard. Problem solved!! He's not as soft as the rubber mouth but he is learning and it does what we need. Best of all, he's definitely comfortable.

However, it's still been a rough road. His castration site on one side healed up well, but the other side continued to ooze and drain pus-like discharge even though it was trying to close. After SMZs for a week, Exceed for a week, and then a culture which resulted in Baytril for a week, his equine vet felt that he had a schirrous cord, which requires surgery. So, we did the surgery last week. Whoo boy. More $$ and a 2 day hospitalization, but he returned home. Then a week of gentocin injections and bute, and now more bute. He still has a HUGE crater where his little castration site was, but it's slowly closing. Unfortunately, he needs to be on stall rest/light exercise and NO TURNOUT during all of this and it's been very cool down here (unseasonably so). The first 2 days he was home I could ride him he was very fresh and a little spooky so I didn't hop on. My trainer rode yesterday and he was great; today I rode and he was not great. He spooked 3 times for NO reason, but I could sense something wasn't right from the moment I saw him. Turns out the dose of bute he was given was 1/5 of what it should've been, so at least I know why he was like that.

We have had some brilliant moments, he's a super smart horse who has a ton of ability and talent, and I love him to death. It is all worth it to me. But, it's definitely taking patience and understanding to help him through this. The rewards will be worth it. And his withers are catching up to his butt! He is being SUCH a good boy despite all this, letting us cold hose several times per day and all that.

OK so now some pics:
    My favorite Picture of us

At the clinic, ready to be discharged
    Happy to be home!
    Here he is being suspicious of the treats offered, thinking they're meds
    His wound, today (day 7 post-op)
    His wound, day 1 post-op *warning, blood*

Jingles for Bug's healing appreciated!

Thanks for the photos Pancakes. I really like the first one of the two of you it's lovely.

Aww, Bugati is having a rough start. Glad you are taking such good care of him. He will be fpgreat when he is "fixed". He is young, isn't he? He is so cute!

Dewey, hope you're having a blast right about now and that Sky is acting like an old pro.

ClassyRide, your baby sounds awesome and super smart. And yes, some trainers teach horses to face you. My husband does this with his.

Pony4me, fingers crossed for you! Hope all is healthy.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

In answer to those who have asked, my horse has had a complete allergy workup, cough syrup, antihistamines, antibiotics, steriods, IV DMSO, BAL procedure, change of stall, increased turnout, wet hay, lung ultrasound, and probably more stuff but I don't have my spreadsheet handy right now. He was fine today. Jumped a 2'6" course, lead changes both ways, and no breathing problems. Go figure. My bet is that all-day turnout (with a few big flakes of hay) will be the key to managing his condition.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Well today was so nice that I hit the trails with my boy. It was wonderful to ride again!!
    My trainer and I came up with a plan to get him legged back up. Which is great. He will be back competeing hopefully by the end of April!!

Hope all is going well with everyone else....

Had a really bad day today.

Went riding with a friend and just had a really rough ride. I was riding one of her horses and the horse was pulling on me, being fresh, and gave a little half rear and take off action more than once. I wasn't really afraid I was going to fall off, because I wasn't, but more that I didn't know this horse, she totally had my number, and if she chose to keep doing what she was doing I would have zero control.

It's not a good feeling and combined with a bad lesson on Friday, I am just not feeling very confident or happy right now. I am just not used to horses who just.don't.listen and this was my first experience with it in a very long time (since I was a kid, probably) and I am just not up for it anymore.

I had wanted to go look at a horse tomorrow and now I feel like I can't ride at all and shouldn't be considering buying anything. Really bummed out.

I hope things continue to go well for you, Pony4Me. It sounds like you've been through the cough in as many ways as possible. Hopefully this routine works for you and your horse.

Classyride, my horse naturally stops and faces me when I ask him to halt on the longe. I didn't teach him that for sure! And his previous trainer never longed him, so I'm not sure where that came from either. Just FYI.

Thanks HazelG and Paradox! Yes Bug is young. He'll be 5 in May. I have to remember that we're going to be making sloooooow progress.

Today Bug was SUPER spunky and I let him get his sillies out in the round pen. He whinnied, bucked, farted, the whole 9 yards. Then lots of surcingle work to get him to listen to me -- WOW did he ever! He framed up and was perfect on the longe line. Then I rode for a while which is more work he's had since surgery. He was pretty good...the new bit is certainly a huge fix but he was still very distracted. When he focuses and listens, he's SO pretty.

Alterageous, don't get discouraged. These animals have minds of their owns and there are always going to be horses that won't listen to what you're saying. I know how upsetting it is to feel like you're being disrespected and not in control, especially when you think it could become dangerous. So, in your horse search, don't get a green horse, and don't get something that's hot. So you want a packer, or something bombproof, or something very responsive/patient. Look for that instead. You won't click with every horse but that doesn't necessarily reflect on you as a rider. Keep on looking if it's what you really want.

Alterageous geesh Im sorry.. really I am I am that way if I know how high the fence is...Im fine on the flat but over fences an 18" will look like 18'...

Well today would be the perfect day to ride temperature wise.. 64deg. Of course it is going to pour down rain, and tomorrow the high is to be 35.. but 64 tells me that spring is on the way.. or it is teasing and it is on perm vaca. and decided it lives in Fla.

I can not wait till I ride. I'm sure dh cant wait either to say Im getting short at him is putting it mildly.. BUT it is driving me nuts.. he gets to his fun things with out any restrictions and every thing I want to do come with his imposed restrictions as though I would "not be careful".. This includes driving.. I can not go anywhere without him and it is driving me nuts... I need alone time.. beforeIserioushurthim... I can not even go to the store with out him... sorry about that had to get that off my chest..
    Friend of bar .ka

Well, I will report on the show. Paradox, Sky did not act like an old pro--far from it--but I think it was a positive experience for both of us.

The negatives: she was really amped up, and during her first couple of courses, I had to slow her down and trot several fences; I did a courtesy circle after one of our courses and then heard everyone yelling that I had one more jump to do ; Sky bucked during Pleasure Horse ; she refused a jump after bulging out at a corner, and I couldn't get her straight to it; and someone had set up huge speakers right by the jumping ring for the announcer; these kept popping and making all kinds of scary noises until Sky decided that a dragon lived on that side of the ring. She at first shied when asked to trot or canter down that long side and then refused to go there at all.

The plus side: venue was lovely, weather was perfect, I was told by the announcer after the show that Sky was winning the under saddle by a lot after the first direction; when she shied and wouldn't go past the speakers in the second direction, the judge kept everybody cantering for a long time to give me a chance. (I finally did canter for half a lap.) So that was nice to hear. Also, we did our first 2'6" course; in spite of the refusal, Sky jumped everything at a new ring; each course was better than the one before; Sky saw a new place and learned that the experience would not kill her. At least I hope she learned this.

I know people wanted pictures, but DH did not go with me as he is down with the flu. There was a photographer there, but her pictures aren't up yet. I will post any decent ones. One of the moms filmed one of my rounds on her phone--I haven't seen that yet.

Pny4Me, I am sorry you can't seem to get an official diagnosis for the cough. Keeping my fingers crossed that things continue to go as smoothly as they are right now.

Pancakes, you have been through some rough times with Bugatti! But it sounds as if things are moving slowly in the right direction. May he continue to heal! The pictures were great--the first one especially. He is lovely.

Hazel, hang in there. Spring will soon be here!

SuperD, your trail ride sounds wonderful. Good luck with the reconditioning program.

bumknees, it is very frustrating to feel dependent. The weather does not help. I have to think that when the weather gets better, and you can get out and maybe even ride, your outlook will improve. Hang in there!

Alterageous, I'm so sorry that you had a setback. Remember that the horse that made you lose confidence is not your horse. As Pancakes points out, you can shop for the one that is right for you. That horse is out there, waiting for you.