The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 148 of 355 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150158198248 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,960 of 7086

Quote Originally Posted by Alterageous View Post
    Parlanti Miami.
    VERY NICE - that's double congrats!!!!
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Classyride, great pic. They look like they're having a blast! I bet it felt good for them. Glad the move went smoothly. I'm so happy for you!

ivy62, sounds like a great ride. And don't worry about comparing this horse to your "heart" horse. You can now have another heart horse, only a different one. No rules on saying you can only have one in your lifetime! Enjoy.

TigerHorse, love your circle exercise. You would think it's so easy to do that, but it's not. I was working on a similar line over the summer and had trouble doing it. It was a LONG two stride (just one bending line, not 3 jumps like yours!) and I just could not get it. I even have video of this. Okay, if I find it I will post, but don't laugh at me! haa. Finally I said to myself, I am doing a three stride and that's that. It worked for me, but still was not pretty.

Okay, here it is. It's the last two jumps in the "course". I do the course three times. None of those last two are very good! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVtNECqXIPU
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    TigerHorse, love your circle exercise. You would think it's so easy to do that, but it's not. I was working on a similar line over the summer and had trouble doing it. It was a LONG two stride (just one bending line, not 3 jumps like yours!) and I just could not get it. I even have video of this. Okay, if I find it I will post, but don't laugh at me! haa. Finally I said to myself, I am doing a three stride and that's that. It worked for me, but still was not pretty.

Okay, here it is. It's the last two jumps in the "course". I do the course three times. None of those last two are very good! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVtNECqXIPU
    Definitely not laughing - I think you look great!!

The secret for me was sitting to and between jumps - I needed my seat and leg to get him to come back to me in order to get all three jumps. Such a hard concept, because the last thing you want to do when your horse is really forward, is to put a leg on. (The last three years of dressage training has really come in handy - that is, when I remember to use it!!) I am usually just so happy to get over, I forget about the objective!
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Thanks, Tiger Horse. Usually take me a few to get those things. But it's a fun learning process. I just have to remind myself, too, not to jump ahead. I had really started working on that in the two months before the ankle. To be honest, in this video, I already had the broken ankle, just decided to ignore it.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

My coach sometimes sets up four low jumps in a circle and tells us how many strides we are supposed to get between each one. She varies it. It's really hard. We call it the "circle of death."
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I finally got to do the circle of death last year, too. We didn't have big jumps, 2' probably. No higher. But once I got it, to work on my form my trainer had me do it without stirrups. I thought I would die. But it really helped with my tendency to jump ahead. But I was a bit scared I'd come off!
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Yes, little jumps are what my trainer uses, too. It's too hard to adjust the striding on the fly if the jumps are big.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    Yes, little jumps are what my trainer uses, too. It's too hard to adjust the striding on the fly if the jumps are big.
    I had a trainer back in my teenage years (and a VERY adjustable horse) and my trainer would make me fit as many as 12 strides in a 5 stride line, etc.

I loved those exercises!

"Circle of death" We certainly weren't working on striding yet - more like let's "look where you are going" and let's "maintain some type of rythmn"!

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    Welcome, superD. This is a great group here. (Well, I think so!). We can all relate to feeling less than confident at times.

Do you think your not wanting to ride has anything to do with being talked into eventing? I know I am comfortable jumping, say, 3'6" in the arena, but I don't feel remotely comfortable jumping 2' in the field in XC. Maybe because you're gearing your horse to event you're not comfortable? Maybe come back to something you are comfortable with and enjoy more and don't worry about what others say about that decision. Horses are expensive to own and upkeep and it's hard if you're not enjoying it. Or maybe you're just not as comfortable with a younger horse? I had to sell two youngsters because I just was not having fun with them. I now have a teenager that I LOVE. And I'm enjoying riding again. A lot. (Well, was before broke my ankle...long story).

Good luck finding the fun, and welcome.
    Thanks!! I am not sure what my hang up is. Eventing was always something I wanted to do. I love hunter paces and am much more happier out of the ring. My youngster is dead honest and has the best brain in the world. My older man is a much harder ride and he can be very unpredictable.

I hope it was just a case of having the wrong trainer when i had a bad fall off my old man. She wasn't supportive and deemed my boy " dangerous" . I eventually found out that he really just needed more turnout than she was able to give him. I took him to a back yard type place and we both took some time off to get our heads back. He became very ridable once I brought him back, but I think the damage was already done in my mind.

I will school my horse when we go cross country schooling and my trainer will then get on him to do the higher stuff. We would like to get him going at least Training this summer so maybe he can go prelim next spring.

This is the first winter that I haven't had an indoor to ride in and I am at a much smaller barn. I really think this has something to do with it.

I am enjoying reading all these posts though!! What a great thread.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by superD View Post
    Hi everyone!!
    Thought I would join your posts. I am an adult rerider who has struggled with confidence issues for a few years now. ( only with jumping) I own 2 wonderful geldings one of which is my heart horse.

I was doing really well up until this year. I was unsure where I wanted to be riding wise. I do not have the talent I had before i took my 5 year break. I retired my heart horse after many illnesses and lameness issues and started my green bean after i bought him about a year and a half ago. Got the basics on him and started his jumping ( he is uber talented!!)

A friend talked me into trying eventing and I moved the boys over last summer. I put my young guy in training and he took to eventing like a duck to water.

I have now lost all desire to ride!!! I want my trainer to compete him to the higher levels and I just be the owner/groom.

I haven't ridden him since early December and I can only afford for my trainer to ride him twice a week. He is not fit to start competing in the end of March when the first trials begin. I really hope it is just the winter talking and once the weather warms up a bit I will want to ride again!!

UGH I hate winter!!!!!!!
    Don't berate yourself for taking a break. Most of us in this group have (hence the re-rider title!) and that is completely ok. I got kind of burnt out, and had a scary cross country fall that landed me in the ER senior year of high school. I rode half heartedly throughout my first year of college & half of my second. Then I chose to move abroad for University, and consequently sold my mare. Best decision I could have made for her and me (she's a diva and would have hated Scottish weather, lol). I had an awesome 4 years trying loads of new things - rugby, hillwalking, lots of traveling - to name a few. I got really involved in the university hillwalking club committee & made some amazing friends I'm still in touch with even though I haven't lived in/been back to Scotland in nearly 2 years. I lived in South Africa for 6 months and France for 6 months. Both offered very different challenges and my time in South Africa helped me figure out my career goals. I'm now back stateside for grad school, and working at a local stables part time.

That's the long version. The short version is none of the above (an awesome abroad uni experience & year traveling) would have been possible if I'd had horses in my life. I absolutely don't regret the decision to get out of riding, but am absolutely glad I'm back riding again. See some of my previous posts for more details :-P.

Wait it out till spring. Take a break if you want to. If you still want a longer break when Spring (finally!!) comes, reevaluate. There's so much else you could do/experience with the time and money you spend on horses.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Thanks!!!!!

I really got into skiing and tennis during my break. I loved both but came back to the horses. I want to be at the barn and with my boys but then i get the whole, well it's dark and cold and no ones here and my grey horse is now chestnut....... then i give them treats and clean them up and go home.

Come on spring!!!!!!!!!

Pancakes - I still fell that way some days, and I have had my boy for 3 years!!! There is always so much to learn.

Hope everyone is doing well. Half way through February, so spring is getting closer, thank God.

I have to ride in our first ever dressage clinic this weekend, and I haven't ridden in 3 weeks thanks to a mix of work exploding, getting sick and having company in from out of town over that period. I am super nervous that we will look stupid
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Wow – what a weekend! On Saturday I went to the Horse World Expo up in this area. I’ve got to admit, I was a little disappointed with the expo, but I got to spend the day with one of my very best friends, so it’s all good.

Sunday I decided the horses had settled in enough that I got everybody out and played with them. I was going to long line little Rose, but she’s never done that before. And being that it was very windy out, chilly, a new barn, etc., I decided to minimize brain overload by just round penning her. I still stuck her bit, bridle, and surcingle on, but no side reins. She led to the round pen like a champ, did W/T/C/Whoa both directions on voice commands, changed direction like a pro – she was a complete superstar. I shouldn’t have been worried about frying her brain. She totally focused on me and nothing phased her (outdoor arena gate swinging in the wind, stuff banging around, my other horses calling to her – she ignored it all).

I rode Gabriel in the outdoor arena. He also was a complete champ and took everything in stride. We just did W/T/Whoa/Back, some bending and a little yielding via a couple spirals. Mainly, though, it just felt amazing to be back in the saddle (I didn’t realize it, but I think it’s been about 2 months or more since I even sat on one of my horses!). Gabriel was *awesome*. I rode him for a good 20 minutes. That doesn’t seem long, but I sure can feel it today! Yikes! My friend Erin took a couple of pics and my eq has *really* gone downhill, too. Time to find a trainer to start yelling at me.

Velvet was a little full of herself. Maybe it was the wind, maybe it was something else – I’m not really sure. Either way, Erin hopped on Velvet for me (she’s a better rider than I am). She took her into the indoor (less possibility of seeing spooky things) and did W/T/Whoa and got her head back on straight. She wasn’t even being that bad, she was just kind of on edge and being a little pushy. Erin did a great job of relaxing her and bringing her back to her normal sweet, couldn’t-care-less state of mind.

I am SO happy my horses are closer. I feel like I can finally get back to enjoying life again (via my horse habit). I hope everyone else had a great weekend, too!

I am sooooo done with this weather. Dear North Carolina, I left Scotland for a reason. Kthanksbye! Apart from that, all is good here. I haven't ridden much because on the days it has been nice the arena has been under a foot of water - the drainage is sooo bad. I have been spending a lot of time with horsey friends though which has been fun :-D.

CR - I'm glad things have been going so well with your horses! It must be a relief to have them closer.

Tarheel - Good luck in the clinic, I am sure you will do fine. Remember the goal is for it to be a learning experience, not show, so even if pony isn't perfect you'll still learn!
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes, it's raining again here, too. We had one lovely day (yesterday)--just a teaser. Tomorrow, we are getting more rain as well. My yard is waterlogged, and the rings at the barn are full of ponds. Well, Sky is getting some good trail practice trotting through them.

ClassyRide, sounds as if things are going well after the move.

Tarheel, how was the clinic?

Event4Life -- I always have to remind myself this is for fun!! Occupational hazard and personality trait make me a bit competitive sometimes -- but mostly just competitive with myself.

So, the clinic was a challenge in some ways, and great in others.

It rained like crazy last week in the Atlanta area. Both Friday and Saturday consisted of riding in cold, windy mist that was bone chilling. And unfortunately, the arena footing was quite bad -- just too much water in too little time for any meaningful drainage to occur. The weather Sunday warmed up to the lower 60s so that was great, but the footing issues were still a limiting factor for what could be accomplished.

So, on a personal note -- my trainer rode my horse with the clinician on Friday, and luckily I was able to get out of my office and go watch. They did some good work, even with the challenging footing, because even though the arena was wet, since it was the first day, things weren't horribly churned up.

Saturday morning I arrive, and my horse is understandably a bit anxious. He had been boarding at the farm hosting the clinic since Thursday evening, we did not bring any other horses from our barn, and because of the swampy status of the paddocks, he wasn't getting any turn out. I took him out of his stall and we walked around a while, then when we were headed back to his stall, we needed to pass close to a paddock, and my horse proceeds to get in a fight with a horse on the other side of the paddock fence! I have never seen my horse do anything remotely like this before! The two horse were rearing and kicking at each other, with the fence in between. Thank God no one was hurt -- human or equine! Although my horse does have a big spot on the front of his chest where the other horse's hoof made contact, and all of his hair there was scraped off! That'll look great in the hunter ring in a few weeks! But again, I am lucky that is all that happened!

Given the cold and wind and mist on Saturday morning, and those crazy antics, I had decided not to ride that day. But we let him settle, and free lunged him in a round pen, and he was back to his normal self. So I did go ahead and ride that day, but I took it very easy. We basically just worked on our walk!! Thankfully, in dressage, there is a lot of work you can do on your walk! HA!

Sunday my horse was 100% settled and back to normal, but all we were able to do was walk-trot because the footing really was too dangerous to canter in.

But the clinician, Richard AG Watson, was wonderful, and we got a lot out of the clinic at the end of the day. I absolutely do not regret going, even with some challenges and limitations created by the weather.

Hope everyone had a great weekend with lots of time with your horses!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    I am sooooo done with this weather. Dear North Carolina, I left Scotland for a reason. Kthanksbye!
    I am checking in to report that I HATE winter and I'm sick of this rain and if mud was worth anything, I'd be wealthy.

signed Angry.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post
    I am checking in to report that I HATE winter and I'm sick of this rain and if mud was worth anything, I'd be wealthy.

signed Angry.
    We should start a spa business or something. We'd be bazillionaires if it was the fancy mud they use for spas. I've had it up to here too...every time I think the arena has FINALLY dried out and I can FINALLY do more than walk, nope, next day it rains AGAIN. And we're under a foot of water AGAIN. I love living by the (flat) coast, but I miss the mts. Natural Drainage = a good thing.

TarheelJD thanks for the report - sounds like it was fun and very worthwhile.
    Awfully tired of this weather as well - but, at least I have an indoor to ride in.
    ClassyRide sounds like everyone settled in nicely.

Had another good lesson on Sunday and this week we did work on striding. Managed to get around the course a couple of times and added a box jump for a change of pace.