The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 143 of 298 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153193243 ... LastLast
Results 2,841 to 2,860 of 5959

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post
    Rubygirl - you are def not alone! We ALL struggle with various riding issues regardless of our level of experience. I'm sorry stuff is so frustrating right now. Just curious- where are you in NC?
    I'm in Asheville. I take it you're in the Piedmont? (What a genius I am, huh?) lol

Quote Originally Posted by ivy62 View Post
    Rubygirl1968 you are not alone. Maybe this horse you are leasing is not a good match for you right now. Since you lease you have the option of finding another and not trying to make it work with a horse that you have issues with. Coming back is hard and as we get older, well the demons are in place and much harder to get rid of.
    You are paying good money and it should be fun. Find an instructor and a horse that you can be confident on and have fun! JMHO
    I was thinking about that alot last night. I do want to give it more time - I haven't ridden him that much and I'm leasing him by working it off. Plus I took him on a trail challenge last fall and he was a ton of fun out of the ring - I just don't enjoy the ringwork too much.

Thank you for your honesty though. It is something I have to consider. Riding is too dangerous of a sport not to enjoy it! lol

Quote Originally Posted by jaslyn1701 View Post
    Ruby - you are SO not alone. My riding life is full of 1 step forward, 100+ back. I too have a leaner and am very familiar with the pissing contest. Two things my trainer taught me - leg forward or hands forward. Make him hold himself up.

My mind goes blank sometimes. If it would only come to me when he's doing it!

Did your trainer explain why the switch from the french link to the plain snaffle? If not, you should ask. Most trainers welcome the "why" questions and are happy to explain.

She said the french link wasn't a legal bit if someone wanted to put him in a dressage test. It would be her or his owner - I'm certainly not going to be putting him in anything anytime soon!

And I totally understand about the lazy. My current horse is for sale - he needs more quiet and confident than I possess. So, sometimes I get to ride the somewhat lazy "Thou Shalt Not Bang Me in the Mouth, Everything Else is Pretty Much Okay) qh mare. I can, and will, do things with her that I am unable to do on my own horse. Her favorite gait is stop and stand, preferably with snacks - lol. Is it possible that this horse is not the one for you?

Yes, it very well could be. I'm going to give it some more time but I do have that thought in the back of my mind.

I am so sorry about your cat - my old lady is currently on my lap and sends jingles to yours!
    Thank you - the jingles for Thomas are greatly appreciated.

Life's too short and horses are too expensive a hobby to "throw effort after foolishness" as my favorite movie curmudgeon once said. There's got to be a measure of peace in it for me. All this just to say - though no one really asked me - I'd see what other options might be in the barn before I kept on 1 step fwd 100 back.
    Peace - you got it! But part of my problem is that I don't really know if it's the horse or me. I like trail riding, I don't like ring work. I do realize that I still need to learn to ride before I can really be safe or really enjoy the trail. I mean, safely walk, trot, canter. When I was out on the trail challenge with him last fall it was peaceful - he was a doll. Brave, confident, forward but not too forward.

Although I'm begining to think canter is just a pipe dream.

I don't know if you saw my other post - we were posting at the same time - but I'm working off my lease. I feed for his owner 7 days a week, every evening after work. That's the only way I can afford to lease anything so part of me is also afraid that if I don't have him I won't have anyone to ride.

Money's tight - as it is for everyone. Thank you though. I'm going to give it a little more time before I make a decision. At least until the weather breaks and I can ride him consistently. He does much better when he's ridden at least 3 days a week.

"She said the french link wasn't a legal bit if someone wanted to put him in a dressage test. It would be her or his owner - I'm certainly not going to be putting him in anything anytime soon! "

I just did a cursory Google search - um, french links seem to be legal in dressage. Seems to be a common question.

You said you don't like ring work - here's the question you need to ask: Do you not like ring work because of the horse you are riding? Just something else to throw in the pot.
    And nothing bad happened!

Quote Originally Posted by rubygirl1968 View Post
    It has been a very long time since I posted on this thread and I'm 99.9% sure that you guys are more experience re-riders than me, so I apologize for the book.

I had a lesson yesterday on my lease horse and I feel like I've taken 1 step forward and 100 steps back! My instructor took out the french link snaffle that I bought for him and put his plain snaffle back in, so with that and the fact that he hadn't been ridden in 10 days, I felt like I was just in a pissing contest with him and I was losing!

*sigh* He leans so much on the plain snaffle and I know it's my fault because it takes two to pull, but I don't know how to not do it and I feel like I'm turning into a ham-fisted jerk.

It was a very frustrating ride and very discouraging.

Oh, and a little background so you'll know how little I know - had horses as a kid, rode all over the place but didn't lesson. Started taking lessons a couple of years ago, very sporadically, and quit when my instructor left her barn about 4 months after I started back. Just when I was feeling not so sucky.

There was a horse, Misty, that I was able to ride a little last year but her owner moved her back and I lost her. She and the current horse are like day and night - she was lazy and her favorite gait was walk or jog - the current one is a powerhouse and is favorite gait is trot and as fast as he can.

I would give anything for the lazy again for just a few rides! lol

Maybe I just needed to whine - the vet called me right before I got on the horse and said my cat's bloodwork was worse than it was when he was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease. He was diagnosed Sept. 2011.

That's my story - please tell me I'm not alone.
    Nope, as others have said, you are so not alone!

My horse sounds a lot like your lease horse - he is very forward and can be very challenging - he also likes to lean. Going on four years together and we still have our moments - some days I dismount very discouraged. Other days are wonderful - I think that is the nature of it.

I try not to think of it as steps back though - I think of each ride as a learning experience - what went right, what went wrong. How could I have made it better? Did I remember to breathe, release all tension? When I'm relaxed, my horse relaxes. Am I pulling on the reins, or holding the reins? If I pull, he pulls. So many things to think about!

In the end though, as frustrated as I may get, I love the challenge and when it's right, when it all clicks, it's just the most amazing feeling ever.

Once you get used to/comfortable with forward, and you will, you won't miss lazy!
    Are you able to ride more than once a week? That would help alot - even if you just got on to walk - there is so much you can learn/practice at the walk that is helpful for the other gaits.

Not sure about the french link - I think most are legal - although quite honestly if it makes it easier for you right now, I don't know why that would be an issue. At any rate, I hope your next ride will be better (and they usually are)!

Sorry about your kitty.
    Last edited by Tiger Horse; Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:07 AM. Reason: correction
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Event4life - I swear I just wanna load up the Sea Monster and come ride with you! Sounds like W is just a great fit.
    It really, really is the best place I could have asked to live in. I LOVE it here. Only thing I'm struggling with is american style grad school..SOOOOO many assignments and projects and deadlines and discussions and aahhhH (in the UK we had max. one exam and one essay per semester per course) And its all online, which is weird for me because I have never taken an online class. Anyway, I'm getting there. Finzean YOU DEFINITELY should come and visit. Before tourist season starts so we can go riding on the beach!!! Its so amazing! You definitely need to ride a SeaMonster on the beach, lol. Trainer also keeps talking about trailering to Southern (suffering - see, I'm learning the lingo!) Pines as soon as shes able to ride again. Apparently we're going to a hunter pace in Zebulon at some point soon-ish too so that should be fun!

Paradox - I love your story! The good apps, like yours, are the best horses ever, but they can be absolute nightmares. Your guy is gorgeous and sounds like a really cool horse. I swear, horses find us rather even though we look for them.

Rubygirl - I agree with whoever said you should maybe try a different horse. It sounds like the current one is scaring you a bit, and thats not fun when you're just getting used to being back in the saddle. Good luck! There's nothing wrong with wanting to ride the lazy one, they teach us a lot!

I got to ride my 2 faves today :-D. If I could ride these horses every day, every day would be the best day ever. Firstly Jet was awesome - trainer gave me some pointers jumping then we took him to the mini x country course and hopped over a few logs, which was fun. He loved it! Then River, who I wasn't even going to ride but he walked right up to me when I was in the field next door so how could I say no? He was awesome though, now I've spoken to his owner I know a lot more about him so was able to push him a bit harder than I had been doing. He's going to teach me a lot, and I'm hoping to take some Dressage lessons on him since he knows through 3rd level. Its a great opportunity to ride a horse who knows more than I do (I usually ride the green/crazy ones!) and I feel so lucky for it, but also kind of scared because I don't want to mess him up.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Event4Life, what school are you going to? (You can PM me if you prefer). And I love to ride trained dressage horses! It's not always as easy as you think it should be if you're not a dressage rider, but I love it.

Rubygirl, I can't see why your trainer would change from his comfortable french link. Maybe ask if you can go back. Maybe he's happier in it.

Had to skip my ride today. Rain. So I will try tomorrow. Hoping each ride makes my ankle stronger.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

rubygirl: move to the Piedmont. I have 4 a day to ride and do good to get 1 or 2 done b/c of my whacko schedule and if you need to work off a lease, there are 5 that are eating and pooping. LOL

BTW - french links are definitely okay for dressage. Just recently checked to make sure since I haven't shown in 100 years...still okey dokey.

Event4Life - my Sea Monster probably would take to crashing waves with a little crashing of her own!! lol If I can work it out, I'll road trip. Let me know when your headed to SP. It's a LOT closer than W and I'm headed there for a little foundation time this spring...dont know when, though.

Quote Originally Posted by rubygirl1968 View Post
    I had a lesson yesterday on my lease horse and I feel like I've taken 1 step forward and 100 steps back! My instructor took out the french link snaffle that I bought for him and put his plain snaffle back in, so with that and the fact that he hadn't been ridden in 10 days, I felt like I was just in a pissing contest with him and I was losing!

*sigh* He leans so much on the plain snaffle and I know it's my fault because it takes two to pull, but I don't know how to not do it and I feel like I'm turning into a ham-fisted jerk.

It was a very frustrating ride and very discouraging.
    I totally understand how you feel. I was just whining on here the other day about being frustrated. I've had some interesting rides this winter and was starting to get annoyed. I was reminded by the kind folk here not to forget to have fun, and it was good advice. I thought long and hard about what I've been doing, and I realized improvement has never really been an ah-ha moment in one lesson for me and there ARE things I have gotten better at (and of course then new problems appear, but that's the game we play). Basically, I think I need to remember to measure my accomplishments over a period of months instead of using each individual lesson as a barometer.

P.S. I don't know what your instincts say, but I went through a phase where I was playing tug of war with a horse and mine were saying leg = forward and pull = slow down, so for the love of God, pull back! So I was trying to pull the horse onto the bridle instead of pushing him into it. Big mistake. Think push, not pull. You may have to force yourself to fight the instinct to pull. I did!

I got to ride today! Yeah, but I was so exhausted from work that we trotted a little and walked alot. We worked on our turns and staying in the bend and change of bend. Over all a very nice ride for me. Hopefully, my trainer will make it back from Florida soon. we are expecting bad weather AGAIN!
    On to next week......
    Always try and enjoy the ride.....should never not be fun!
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

I hope all of you have a great weekend and that those of you in the northeast stay safe this weekend. Looks like nasty weather headed your way!

For those of use that can hopefully ride - enjoy! I plan on putting his french link back in and riding tomorrow. It's going to be better.. I have a mantra now, push, more leg, don't pull - push, more leg, don't pull. lol

Finzean, I wish I could! Sounds like a blast - love riding different horses

rubygirl, good for you. Put the bit in, and chant your chant, and have fun!

Yes, I hope all of you up north stay warm and dry! It's not too awful here, 43 degrees, but somewhat wet. I will ride tomorrow. Yay! Ride number 3. Hopefully it's even better than ride number 2.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Hope anyone who is in the path of or enduring Nemo is ok.

Even though Finn is for sale, he still gets worked by me. He is still mine. So, we worked on the lunge both ways - lord it's hard getting him to just WALK on the lunge. Apparently, he was taught to either trot or stop. Period. Then I got on him for a bit - he was very good. And, I had a small, but important, AHA moment. I asked him to trot a right circle - head cranked out, kind of fussy. Don't know where it came from, but today, instead of getting handsy, I just relaxed my reins and move my hands forward just a bit.

Hello there nice trot with a nice bend to the right!!!!

Duh!!!
    And nothing bad happened!

Hi, everyone - been since Christmas since I've been on. But starting my company any time now, and still working on all the logistics. I'll be doing insurance claims work. They won't hire me directly, but I'll do it for them as an LLC. Wish me luck!

It just takes so much time to keep up here. But I read the last few pages and admit I miss being here. But, hey, I hardly get to ride the horse right now either. Been trying to 4x a week, but for the past month, it's only been perhaps 2x a week.

At least I don't have to be on to talk out any problems - knock on wood. The horse is barefoot this winter and so far so good. Barn owner still takes nice care. But sometimes, being a novice horse person, she does need a little convincing for some requests. But so much better than last year.

Jealous of all you southerners being able to ride and show right now. But at least we don't have flies...?

Just thought I'd check in and say "hi" to the good friends here who are so supportive. So glad for those who have been able to get past the issues of recent. Finding good horses, good homes, hopefully jobs as well. I'll try to do better to stay in touch.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

So, after a nice ride in the am, I went to support some barn mates at an indoor hunter show. Everyone did really well and I must admit to wanting to have a go! Purchased a fitted saddle pad, now I just need some of those lovely hunter breeches - good god who decided that colour was flattering?! Next show is late March, something to think about!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. Hoping our Eastern COTHERS are all OK.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Lots of snow -- I mean LOTS -- here, but we are fine. Never even lost power!

Like many of you, I am struggling with the winter blahs and so is my mare. We are STUCK in the indoor (too much snow to ride out!) and I do mean STUCK. She's been slow, grumpy, and every ride has a part where we hate each other. Usually it improves after that! She had joint injections 10 days ago, which has helped some, but we're not happy campers right now.

Thing is, we both wanna be jumpers, and we're not really allowed to jump. I trot/canter "courses" of ground poles with her, and it's like I'm a different rider on a different horse. All the things that need to happen, that I struggle with on the flat, come together. She's forward, responsive, ears pricked and happy. It's just automatic. Not pretty I am sure, but effective. (We both were at 3-feet-plus -- though not with each other as she was HOT! to the fences at that time -- when I had my accident, and then not terribly long after that she had her suspensory surgery, so we're "grounded" so to speak.) Crossrails are probably OK (we were having fun with them in the fall before she went lame) but I need a crash vest, seriously.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Had my first experience riding in a pelham last week after not having ridden in one in at least 10 years. Too many reins!

I figured it out but I also figured out I have a habit of relaxing my pinky and letting the reins slide, which is a lot more obvious when you have 2 reins! horse was a good sport and trainer was kind enough not to make fun of my ineptitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Alterageous View Post
    Had my first experience riding in a pelham last week after not having ridden in one in at least 10 years. Too many reins!

I figured it out but I also figured out I have a habit of relaxing my pinky and letting the reins slide, which is a lot more obvious when you have 2 reins! horse was a good sport and trainer was kind enough not to make fun of my ineptitude.
    Alterageous I know what you mean! My trainer keeps hinting that my guy would probably do really well in a Pelham. I don't think I'm coordinated enough!

Quietann glad to hear you are a-ok! That was some storm.

Welcome to my world - I bought my guy because I wanted to pursue dressage. But, he so wants to be a hunter. He tries hard to do the dresage work, but there is no joy in it. Since I have made the switch - we are both having a blast! So, get your vest - I have one - and have fun.

Glad the folks in the Northeast are ok, and thanks for checking in, CVPeg! Starting a business is very time-consuming and I envy those with the courage to do so. Good luck in your new endeavor.

My guy is doing very well, and is now my ride for both of my weekly lessons. Yesterday was the first time since September of 2011 that I jumped him outside in a lesson. He was a bit enthusiastic, but not bad. He feels great, so I'm going to have to spend more time doing no stirrup work. I think I'm going to try to do a barn fun show in early May. I'm thinking that we will do a 2' warmup class, and then do a couple of flat classes. That should give me a good idea of whether or not he will be ok. Right now the vets and chiro say he will be totally back to normal, which is the 3' Adult Ammys.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Horse View Post
    Alterageous I know what you mean! My trainer keeps hinting that my guy would probably do really well in a Pelham. I don't think I'm coordinated enough!
    I keep getting the same thing about one of the horses I ride. So far he hasn't been strong enough to warrant it (with me) but apparently he has known to be....I'm with you guys though, I had to ride one horse all summer in England in a pelham and I sucked it up but didn't like it. Guess I'll never be an upper level dressage rider, lol.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey