The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 142 of 355 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152192242 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,840 of 7097

Well, yesterday it was somewhat decent here, and I finally got my horse tacked up and rode! My husband lunged him for about ten minutes first to be sure he was level headed. I shouldn't have worried, he's almost always level headed. But didn't want to deal with speed if I didn't have to.

Well, I got out there and got a leg up. I'm not gonna lie, it hurt to have my foot in the stirrup and posting. So I did a lot of posting with only my good foot in the stirrup. Hard to balance that way, but it was really hard to do it any other way. The weird thing is, before I got my cast on, even with the broken ankle, it did not hurt riding. So I guess it's all the tendons and ligaments that are needing to stretch and flex better because they were immobile for so long! Sigh. I was hoping for better, but we'll get there. The new boots are stiff, too, so maybe that is part of it. But, I guess it's still good news because I got to ride, and that in itslef was wonderful!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Yay, Paradox!
    And nothing bad happened!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Paradox, YAY!!! for riding! Give it time - I am sure as your muscles get used to it again you'll be more comfortable. Did you ride in your western saddle or english? Maybe the stirrups were too short so too much pressure was on the balls of your feet? Have you looked into those flex stirrups - I have them and definitely notice a difference when I don't use them.

I'm sure (well I hope) you've all ridden "that" horse. The one you get on and feel like you could jump the moon, flat out gallop across a field, ride anywhere and they wouldn't blink an eye. They practically predict what you're asking before you ask it, but still wait for you to ask anyway. They take a joke. For me, these horses always seem to be the most seemingly unlikely candidates, and few and far between. This time, its a 14.3-ish Quarter Horse ex (apparently) champion barrel racer. His name is Jet, and he ROCKS. It's so nice to finally be riding a horse I can trust & have real fun with :-D. There's both a show and a hunter pace coming up in the next few months so hopefully I'll actually be able to go to one or both.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Dewey - yes and no. Knowing something is the right thing to do does not make it any easier. And, I guess, if you were to be technical, he is not my first horse - the first was one at the same barn, a few years ago, who, because I took care of him when he was hurt a couple of times, declared himself mine. But Finn is the first horse I ever bought, and I know people say horses come and horses go, but I really hadn't planned on having to shop again in my later 50's. Thank you.

On another, more positive note, I interviewed for a job today that I really, really want. Love it when a potential employer asks what you are looking for, you say the number, they nod, say that's doable and could probably do better! And there are quarterly bonuses!!!! I should know within two weeks - so fingers, toes, eyes, etc. crossed for me, please!

PH I would be really annoyed about the name thing too. She could have picked any other name, not YOUR horse's name. Sheesh.

Jaslyn good luck with the job. Let us know how it turns out. All digits crossed for you

Good luck, Jaslyn!

I am on vacation at the moment (heavenly!!)

I can't wait to go back and ride though. I have a lesson on Friday. Last time I was so sore I gimped my way up stairs for three days after. I am so out if shape from not riding regularly it is embarrassing.

Yay Paradox!!! Good weather today too I think. I'm having myself an Advil cocktail before I man up!! Lol

Dewey - best wishes!!

Will come back and read more later - farm critters, laundry, and the job that pays for the critter feed are waitin on me.

Jaslyn, that's great news! Good thoughts headed your way. And I completely understand about the knowing it's the right thing to do in your head, but it's still hard. I've been through that, and it IS tough. You do find a sense of peace with it more after it's happened though. Time always seems to be a great bringer of additional perspective.

Yeah Paradox I know how it feels I broke my ankle once and though I rode against Dr's orders and w/o mom knowing it when the cast came off the foot/ankle hurt when it went it the stirrup. I an guessing it took about 6mths maybe less for the pain to go away. Because one day I relised it was not there any more. And that was 6mths after. And this was before they did PT with every break for recovery. In 1980...

Something funny happened to me that turned out good for me. I was cruzing everywhere looking like I had been for the last I don't know how long now for a place to live. And by mistake I posted something to facebook, and a friend said some thing like are you kidding me that 3 blocks from where I lived Someone else posted are you moving. and it went one from there and kinda snow balled. Think about 12 "friends" posted from where I live now and from where I used to live when I went to elementary school each wanting me to stay or move back and move back to someplace I would love to but I have not lived since 1976.
    And I was reading through the posts and one person asked how much I was paying on rent. that was all he posted. So I made up a number as I did not think it was his business as I have not seen him since I was 12. And he said "I have a place in town at this address that has stood empty for 9mth it is your for 200$ less + utilities if you want it." My jaw dropped... for the better part of 6ths I've looked for a place and he has had one less than 4 blocks away... But I found a place it is weird how it happened but I found a place. And 4 dogs and a cat is no problem. And he is going on our friendship from 1970's in elementary school nothing in writing to seal the deal.

So moving day today and tomorrow yeay cant wait. Gotta call the electric and gas. He pays water and trash don't know why but hey no problem here. Its smaller then where we live in now but who really needs a 3000sqf Victorian anyway? With a slate roof, some gingerbreading , original front door with the original glass, original window w original glass, original wood work unpainted, built in 1859..
    sniff...sniff..

Actually I would give my right arm to own something like that in my old neighborhood in the city where I atteneded elementary school. As I said I would love to move back there.

If I not on line for a few days it is because the cable company has not caught up with us yet. They (to quote good ol honest Abe) "Got a case of the slows" It may be next week or the next before in back on line... or maybe even the next.
    But evenually they'llgetrundtoit as soon as georges dog gits off the porch an lits em git e's tool's an e git e's tuk sarrtd. Ten e's gotta stop by an pic upen git the stuf toen put in the stuf in my hose an thit might thak a fiw days donca ya kniw.
    That is the process goes and sometimes I think every phone call made in the area goes through the old switch board system with someone's old aunt edie operating it.
    Friend of bar .ka

Jaslyn, I understand what you are saying. I hope things work out, and that Finn quickly finds a wonderful new home. The job sounds great--really hope you get it!

Paradox, that's great news about riding. Hang in there. I'm not surprised at all to hear that the ankle hurts now--just take things slowly. At least you're riding!

Bumknees, that is awesome news. Good luck with the move, and may you have a lot of help! I must say, I am so impressed with how your typing has continued to improve since the stroke.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I forgot to mention that Sky has continued to morph back into her old self. We did a little jumping yesterday, and she was quiet and willing--no taking off, and only a few little exuberant bounces when I thought she might buck...but she changed her mind.

Our first show of the season is this Saturday, and it's at our barn. It's likely to be a small show, so it seems perfect for Sky. I will definitely go in a few flat classes, and if she continues to be good jumping, I will do her first pre-green hunter classes with her.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Thanks, guys! Yesterday was ride number two. This time I ditched the western saddle and tacked up in my normal saddle. I just dropped the strirrups two holes. I also did not wear the new boots, but put on my paddocks just to ride. And I think having had two more days of just walking on the ankle helped some. But the ride was MUCH MUCH better. Still awkward to post, but it was so much better than the first ride. Much less painful. So I'm hopeful! I am only riding every other day, and only walk trot for 20 minutes. Well, I take that back, yesterday was going so well we cantered a few circles in both directions too.

Event4Life, I totally relate to what you're saying about a special horse in a different wrapper. My current horse is one I probably would never have ever even considered. He kind of came to me accidently. This is an odd story on how I got him. A friend of a friend got this horse (Ap/Trak cross). She wanted me to ride him for a month just to make sure he was safe, etc. So she brought him over to my place, and he hopped off the trailer, and I was sort of thinking, Hmm..not the cutest thing. I was never before a fan of Appys, so that clouded my judgment. Well, that day I got on him and rode him a little to see how he was. This person that brought him wanted basically a trail horse. Well, I liked him from the first ride. So I kept trying to get "lady" to ride him so I can show her how to work with him. She would blow me off. I would say, okay, next weekend, come out so we can work with him. She blew me off again. Finally on week three with her never even setting foot back on my property, she said she was just going to pick him up but didn't have time to ride at my place. Warning bells went off in my head. I knew she didn't like him. She wouldn't even RIDE him. So I said to her, "I really wish you would come ride him. I get the feeling you don't like him." And I said something like, "If you decide you don't want to keep him, please let me know. We've sort of bonded." I didn't know what would come of that email. Well, moments later, she said to do her a favor and just keep him. She said I was doing her a favor by saving her the trip to take him back. She did get him for free. So, here he is. I LOVE this horse more than any other I've ever owned. We just click! Who would have thought I would have loved spots? I later found out he did have a jumping and dressage background. So we brushed up, and he's just been great for me. Totally trustworthy, which is such a treat. Oh, and by the way, I totally think he is super cute, now! Isn't that funny?
    Last edited by ParadoxFarm; Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: add
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Hi, everyone -

I haven't been around in awhile and I really need to go back and read through about what everyone has been up to. I've had a lot going on and been keeping posting to a minimum other than the occasional jingles and nods of agreement. I'm at a training for work now (yay, lunch break!) but hopefully I'll have time to catch up more with y'all later!

Hope all is well with everyone!

Dewey good luck with the show. Glad Sky is back to herself and doing well.

Dreamin welcome back! Been thinking about you! So nice to hear from you, let us know what's new when you can.

Still freezing and snowy up here. No fun riding going on, we're all counting the days until spring!

waiting for the big storm to come in here in new england-- 2ft of snow for us on friday!

I am naturally preparing by continuing to saddle shop online, leading to the purchase of a SECOND saddle. My husband is about to block ebay from the router, I think.

It has been a very long time since I posted on this thread and I'm 99.9% sure that you guys are more experience re-riders than me, so I apologize for the book.

I had a lesson yesterday on my lease horse and I feel like I've taken 1 step forward and 100 steps back! My instructor took out the french link snaffle that I bought for him and put his plain snaffle back in, so with that and the fact that he hadn't been ridden in 10 days, I felt like I was just in a pissing contest with him and I was losing!

*sigh* He leans so much on the plain snaffle and I know it's my fault because it takes two to pull, but I don't know how to not do it and I feel like I'm turning into a ham-fisted jerk.

It was a very frustrating ride and very discouraging.

Oh, and a little background so you'll know how little I know - had horses as a kid, rode all over the place but didn't lesson. Started taking lessons a couple of years ago, very sporadically, and quit when my instructor left her barn about 4 months after I started back. Just when I was feeling not so sucky.

There was a horse, Misty, that I was able to ride a little last year but her owner moved her back and I lost her. She and the current horse are like day and night - she was lazy and her favorite gait was walk or jog - the current one is a powerhouse and is favorite gait is trot and as fast as he can.

I would give anything for the lazy again for just a few rides! lol

Maybe I just needed to whine - the vet called me right before I got on the horse and said my cat's bloodwork was worse than it was when he was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease. He was diagnosed Sept. 2011.

That's my story - please tell me I'm not alone.
    Last edited by rubygirl1968; Feb. 7, 2013 at 07:18 AM. Reason: eta

Rubygirl1968 you are not alone. Maybe this horse you are leasing is not a good match for you right now. Since you lease you have the option of finding another and not trying to make it work with a horse that you have issues with. Coming back is hard and as we get older, well the demons are in place and much harder to get rid of.
    You are paying good money and it should be fun. Find an instructor and a horse that you can be confident on and have fun!
    Our heart horse died in 2011 and he was just that a wonderful horse that gave us confidence and he was fun to ride. After losing him finding something was very difficult but we did. they are different but we are getting there. Most of our rides are very good. If they are not it is because of me. The fact that we own him is a BIG difference. we want to make it work he is all we have; you are leasing so you have options...
    JMHO
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

1 members found this post helpful.

Rubygirl - you are def not alone! We ALL struggle with various riding issues regardless of our level of experience. I'm sorry stuff is so frustrating right now. Just curious- where are you in NC?

Paradox - how's the ankle holding up ?

Jaslyn - any word on the job? Good luck with it all. My the cosmic tumblers all fall into place and you and up where you're supposed to be

Event4life - I swear I just wanna load up the Sea Monster and come ride with you! Sounds like W is just a great fit.

New Englanders sending spring time vibes your way! Nobody likes an early mud season but winter weather is for the ... No, it's not for the birds! That's why they go to Florida and other points south! Lol

Happy riding everyone

Ruby - you are SO not alone. My riding life is full of 1 step forward, 100+ back. I too have a leaner and am very familiar with the pissing contest. Two things my trainer taught me - leg forward or hands forward. Make him hold himself up.

Did your trainer explain why the switch from the french link to the plain snaffle? If not, you should ask. Most trainers welcome the "why" questions and are happy to explain.

And I totally understand about the lazy. My current horse is for sale - he needs more quiet and confident than I possess. So, sometimes I get to ride the somewhat lazy "Thou Shalt Not Bang Me in the Mouth, Everything Else is Pretty Much Okay) qh mare. I can, and will, do things with her that I am unable to do on my own horse. Her favorite gait is stop and stand, preferably with snacks - lol. Is it possible that this horse is not the one for you?

I am so sorry about your cat - my old lady is currently on my lap and sends jingles to yours!

One of the most important things I've learned now that I'm old and re-riding: don't waste time tryin to make the wrong horse work. Life's too short and horses are too expensive a hobby to "throw effort after foolishness" as my favorite movie curmudgeon once said. There's got to be a measure of peace in it for me. That doesn't mean perfect...I'm just at that point where I'd rather ride one of my trusties than beat myself senseless with wrong critter. I tried a horse about 3-4 months ago who was really sweet but he worst match. It was hard to walk away b/c I was jonesing to ride. Then the Sea Monster fell into my life and for he moment I'm in hog heaven. Thankful for EVERY day since idk how long I'll get to have her (forever if the cards play out right).

All this just to say - though no one really asked me - I'd see what other options might be in the barn before I kept on 1 step fwd 100 back.