The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 141 of 399 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151191241 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,820 of 7979

Quote Originally Posted by HazelG View Post
    Bumknees ignore the PM. You are among friends here.
    (
    Ditto what HazelG said!
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Quote Originally Posted by HazelG View Post
    Very very weird weather up here. Pouring rain the last 2 days, back to freezing cold and snowing. Colic weather for horses, virus weather for the kids. I want to crawl into bed and pull the covers over my head and not get out until spring. Gotta love Canadian winters
    We've had the same and I'm in the NW Suburbs of Chicago. It was almost 50 here a few days ago - today's temp when I got in the elevator at work - 0!
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

I am so far behind, it is crazy!!! It has just been a really busy 2013 at the office and other non-barn areas of life. Yuk!

So, first of all, a pox on the houses of those who encouraged me to add up what I spend monthly on my horse habit. I am at about $900 per month (board, supplements, farrier, chiropractor, insurance, general vet bills, dentist). If I added up lessons, clinics and showing, I'd run screaming into the night, so I am going to stay in blissful ignorance on that. And I am about to start up with some training rides to get Tajar fine tuned for show season, so Lord knows what my total monthly bills will be. But, I don't have kids, and I work hard, and it makes me happy - so what the hell!

Event4Life - congrats on getting paid for an equine related job! How wonderful!

Conversely, jaslyn - I am sorry to hear about your job drama. I hope that resolves itself soon.

Dewey - I am so glad you and your daughter had a good talk, and know we are all still thinking of you as you grieve. It really is just so hard to see the ones we love cross the bridge. A friend of mine who lost her dog this year shared this Dr. Seuss quote, which I love: "Don't cry because it is over. Smile because it happened." I also feel that animals have souls -- and I think St. Francis of Assisi would agree. Hope all is continuing to go well for Sky on the ulcer front.

YAY Paradox on being cleared to ride!!!!! And some of the best days I've had at the barn were when I went out, the weather got bad, so all I did was groom and hang out with my boy.

twelvebelles -- I know what you mean about being frustrated with a plateau. I am at the point right now, because I haven't had enough saddle time in the last 6 months (between work, and sarcoid removal, and various other things). I think it just goes with the territory for adult re-riders who have conflicting demands on their time. As others have said, I just need to keep reminding myself that I do this for fun, and not to be so hard on myself.

Tiger -- any update on the teenager who was working the old schoolie so hard? Maybe you posted it and I missed it, because admittedly I had to skim multiple pages to catch up with everyone's news. I hope she doesn't end up hurting the old guy!

Pancakes -- Bugatti is awesome, and I am so happy for you. You definitely deserve some smooth sailing after everything you went through a few months back. How is his infection healing? That is great that he is settling in so well at his new home.

bumknees -- ignore the nasty PM. Don't even justify it by discussing it or thinking abut it further. If this person continues, report it to the Mods.

As for me, I have been busy at work, and I took all of last weekend off from work and the barn to host a baby shower for a dear friend who I've known since we were kids. She and her husband went through the ringer to get pregnant, and I am so happy that this pregnancy has gone so well for her. Pancakes - the funny thing is, since this baby cost so much to bring into the world, our group of friends has been calling her "Baby Bugatti." When you posted your new horse's name, it made me laugh!

Tajar and I are scheduled to do our first dressage clinic ever at the end of February, and I am starting to get a bit nervous. I've only ridden him in the new dressage saddle a few times, and I am hoping we don't end up looking amazingly stupid! I was planning to get more riding in in January, but I was rear-ended in early January, and my back and neck were a little stiff/sore until about this week actually, so I have had to take it easy and stick with pretty mild rides.

My trainer's awesome, been there, done that horse who I take occasional lunge line lessons on was injured yesterday. He got into an altercation with a much bigger gelding, and ended up with a defensive wound just above his coronet band on one leg (not sure which one). I desperately hope he is OK -- everyone at the barn would be devastated if something bad happened to him.

First hunter show this year is a local one, the second weekend in March, and I am getting nervous about that too! We only did one show last year, so we are really out of practice. I really have to pull it together. That weekend will be here before you know it!

Hope everyone has great rides this weekend!!!!! And stays warm!
    Last edited by TarheelJD; Feb. 1, 2013 at 08:09 PM. Reason: typo
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Tarheel JD-My daughter is an IVF baby, she knows she cost $10,000.00 for the cycle (she was cycle 2 with a surgery so it was much more) but she annouces in her sex ed classes that she is "an IVF baby and I was wanted very much".

Your friends child will know that they are loved and wanted, one of the benefits of being hard to conceive.

That is funny stolen virtue -- amazing what kids say! And yes, this baby will know that she was very much wanted, and is very much loved. In our close circle of friends here in Atlanta, everyone is a transplant with no close family near by. We call our group the Urban Family, and we do treat each other like family, warts and all. And the Urban Family is going to spoil the heck out of Baby Bugatti!

I plan to have her on a pony as soon as her parents will let me!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

well, I found THE SADDLE. I went into a local tack shop just to pick up a hair net and pair of socks (penguins on them!) and they had sitting, with a little halo of angel light on it (perhaps that bit is my imagination) a perfect, like it was made for my butt, very good condition county innovation. I bought it on the spot, for a very fair price. Totally happy and cannot wait to ride!

Congrats Alterageous - enjoy it!

Tarheel - I have not run into the teenager lately, I think she is riding earlier, which is fine by me and most of the rest of us who ride after work.

Hope to get my lesson in tomorrow, just depends on the temp. Stay warm everyone!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Alterageous View Post
    well, I found THE SADDLE. I went into a local tack shop just to pick up a hair net and pair of socks (penguins on them!) and they had sitting, with a little halo of angel light on it (perhaps that bit is my imagination) a perfect, like it was made for my butt, very good condition county innovation. I bought it on the spot, for a very fair price. Totally happy and cannot wait to ride!
    I love purchases like this.... You went to buy a hairnet, probably the cheapest item in the store and came out with a saddle, probably the most expensive! My favourite is when my mom and I went to "look" in the pet store when I was about 10 for hamster stuff and came out with...A PUPPY. The SPCA had a stand outside.

TarheelJD - That would be me. *hangs head in shame*. Thanks for the sum up though, it really does help to hear from actual people rather than making guesses based off barns website. And I have no idea about regular vet bills so all that stuff helps too (when I was younger my parents dealt with the vet, yes I was lucky).

Anyway. moving on. I didn't ride yesterday - was ridiculously windy & crappy. Trail ride got cancelled yesterday and today due to weather (though today is fine...I guess my Scottish idea of fine and Wilmington's idea of fine are two very different things!). May go out and ride later this afternoon; I'm going out tomorrow to meet the TBs owner so that'll be fun .
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Congrats on the saddle Alterageous! And thanks for the updates, Tarheel and Event4Life. Weather here has been crazy too, and I'm the only person who made it to the barn for this morning's Saturday morning Adult group. There was a little snow and that was enough to bring out the worst in many, most, or maybe ALL, Tennessee drivers (except for me of course, because I grew up in Chicago.) Lots of facebook posts from friends who were stuck at their houses, or stuck in traffic. Not fun for them at all. We had a good lesson, and my horse has been cleared to add our Tuesday group lesson to his work schedule. That gets me off school and sale horses. In retrospect, riding many different horses helped my riding, and was a big part of getting me through my horse's rehab. We're even starting to think about showing again. Maybe in May if things go well.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

I'm writing horse trials on my calendar and making purchases in my old eventing colors. Is this crazy or what?? But I'm just fixated on the idea and have been having actual dreams where I'm killing the water complex. I need someone to remind me I'm not 20 anymore....

Event4Life - VERY different ideas about suitable riding weather!! Lol suitable riding weather is 68-74 degrees and sunny with only the lightest of breezes so the horse's mane is dreamily lifted off its neck to flutter in the wind!!

Wow - a lot has happened!

First - finally got my unemployment $ so the wolf has left my door! Course, ended up having to replace my water heater, but it was not as pricey as it could have been. Love friends in the plumbing business! And, now that I can take real showers can get back to being serious about job hunting.

On a somewhat down note - after talking to my trainer, my horse is up for sale, for a number of reasons. One, until I have a job, I can't afford to keep him. Second, if he and I clicked in the saddle the way we do on the ground, there would no better match ever. But we don't. And he needs somebody who can ride him at least 4 or 5 days a week and I usually only get to ride on weekends. I am bummed about it since he is my first horse, but its the best for both of us. It's sad, because I have always loved TB's and my dream was to own one - maybe just not this one.

Today, Trainer's mom (who is here visiting) rode my horse and I rode Ms. Do Not Bang Me in the Mouth. From haltering to mounting, she was pretty clear that working was not on her agenda - she checked her schedule - eat hay, wander around, eat hay. Work - nope. But, once we got going, she cooperated. And, (trumpets blaring) I managed to get her to canter a whole circle today - and it was quite round.

Let me explain - this little mare requires LEG. If you even think about relaxing, she slows to the walk. LOL. So, the times I have tried to canter a whole circle (straits are fine), I "lose" her somewhere along the line. Not today!
    And nothing bad happened!

jaslyn1701 That's wonderful news on the unemployment front not so much in the hot water tank front and horse front .

I got a strange call from my BO yesterday.. She asked if I had made my payment thought the bank as I always do (you know the bank cuts the cheque then send it to her). I said yes yesterday the 1st, she asked is there a way I could possibly stop the cheque and she would pick it up today.
    It appears that her mailman has quit delivering mail to her for some reason. Could be that she only empties her mail box once every few weeks or something like that but still. I didn't think that they could do that. She works all day literally and I at the barn most of the evening so picking up the mail is the last thing on her mind and I don't blame her. When I live out of town I would go a week or so with out picking up my mail also, until I got an anal neighbor who did it for me...

But anyway as we were talking another reason I love my BO most BO's/BM's would call and rant and scream at you if your horse were to remove their stall door when they were kept in when the temps were so low that turning them out might be hazardous. Mine just happen to mention it when I asked how Toby was. she said " the fart removed his stall door at the hinges. I still have to fix it but other than that he is ok ." I had to ask he to repeat that cuz I wasn't sure I heard correctly.. So she did laughing.. I said I would be out to fix it as soon as I could but I had to find a place ect.. And get this she may have found the only place for rent she is getting the particulars it is in the same place as her DD lives. But back to story.. she said if you want but my fault and right now he is fine with a stall guard.

Gonna have to get that woman a huge thanks for every thing gift as soon as the move is done...
    Friend of bar .ka

bumknees - I love your BO! Sounds like the kind of person to just take it all in stride. We need more folks like that...in just about every walk of life!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post
    I'm writing horse trials on my calendar and making purchases in my old eventing colors. Is this crazy or what?? But I'm just fixated on the idea and have been having actual dreams where I'm killing the water complex. I need someone to remind me I'm not 20 anymore....

Event4Life - VERY different ideas about suitable riding weather!! Lol suitable riding weather is 68-74 degrees and sunny with only the lightest of breezes so the horse's mane is dreamily lifted off its neck to flutter in the wind!!
    hahaaha whereas in Edinburgh if we waited for weather like that to ride we'd be lucky if we rode twice a year! I'm getting used to it. I will ride tomorrow though even if its "only" 50 out. & you should definitely let me know if you're ever in the area - I'll take you on a beach ride :-D.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post
    bumknees - I love your BO! Sounds like the kind of person to just take it all in stride. We need more folks like that...in just about every walk of life!
    Totally agree!

So, I had a great & very interesting lesson today. We were working on a grid, walk in and canter out. It was a ground pole, one stride to a cross rail and two strides to a vertical. Once we got that going in a fairly nice rhythm, trainer added another two stride to an oxer. First attempt, I forgot to ride - big run out on the last fence - ended up hanging off the side, but somehow managed to get back in the saddle. 2nd attempt - run out second fence - managed to stay on again! 3rd attempt, I got my act together and we got thru it. Trainer said I could do better - 4th attempt was a thing of beauty - a fist pump and victory gallop later we were done! Needless to say staying on and getting it done was a real confidence boost. Not to mention we were working in a bit that had I used last winter, I would have had real control issues and the grid was setup going in his stronger direction. I think I am finally learning to ride my horse!!

bumknees, how awful! Some people just have a need to fill their lives with useless drama. Ignore it, and live happily.

Dewey - good luck! I've read a lot of good things about the "pop rocks."

I have felt stalled many times in my riding since I've come back. It always starts progressing again. Find some new things to do, like others suggested. I've found that when I stopped being so hard on myself, and didn't take things as seriously, my often-mental roadblock disappeared.

I've been having some GREAT success with Ollie lately in getting him off the forehand and more responsive. he can now sidepass too, thanks to my exercises. (and big thanks to Findeight on COTH for helping me with some ideas to help Ollie out). He's really enjoying new exercises, and I'm hoping all of this will help him jump better with more control and now heave so much. He needs to muscle up and build his hind-end endurance, but it's a work in progress

A whiny, ridiculous first-world-problem moment: a new OTTB came to our barn without a barn name. The owner decided to name him Oliver. Boo! We already have an Oliver! MY guy :-P

PH, That's great about the progress you and Ollie are making.

I don't blame you for feeling annoyed about the name. It's not as if her horse already came with that name. She could easily have picked something else.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Jaslyn, I'm glad the wolf has left your door, but I'm so sorry to hear that you have to put Finn up for sale.

You seem very philosophical about it; is that accurate? Are you really OK with this?
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

jaslyn, hope all works out for the best. It's never easy to decide to sell. Well, I guess sometimes it is! But I wish you the best! Keep us posted.

PH, I would hate someone having the same name for their horse. I can feel pretty protective of my names, haha. So I definitely understand where you're coming from. Maybe it will end up with a name change. That happens sometimes, names don't stick. Maybe you can come up with a new name for the new horse and maybe it will catch on!

TigerHorse, your gridwork accomplishment sounds awesome!! Nothing like making yourself HAVE to ride correctly! Good job.

Finzean, what are your colors??

pony4me, glad your horse is cleared for group lessons. That'll be fun for you! It makes a difference being able to ride your own horse again. Very cool. Keep us posted if you show. Maybe I will see you out there somewhere this year!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde