The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 140 of 298 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140141142150190240 ... LastLast
Results 2,781 to 2,800 of 5959

Quote Originally Posted by twelvebelles View Post
    Okay, have any of you felt stalled out periodically in your re-riding? How do you get out of a riding funk?

Granted, I only ride once or twice a week, but lately I have just been feeling like I am improving at a snails pace. I started from scratch at dressage this fall and can get my equine partners in a frame and keep them there much more easily now, which is of course key, but when I try to step up horses I feel like there are all these little things that I'm still not getting and some rides lately have not been great. I know I will likely get over it at some point, but man it's frustrating. For the first time I actually want to skip a lesson this week!
    Yes, that happens to me. In particular, I get frustrated with my gutless ness. I used to be up for anything and now I get heart palpitations at the thought of riding a young or unfamiliar horse. I don't know where that came from as I am really a very good rider and have been complimented many times by many trainers, but I still feel like I suck because I don't have the nerve I used to.

I have found the cure for me is to ask if I can hack a horse instead of a lesson-- just go ride and not fuss about where the horses head is or whether I am twisting my right hand or whether I missed that distance AGAIN. I really do like to ride but sometimes I need a break from the criticism!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by twelvebelles View Post
    Okay, have any of you felt stalled out periodically in your re-riding? How do you get out of a riding funk?

Granted, I only ride once or twice a week, but lately I have just been feeling like I am improving at a snails pace. I started from scratch at dressage this fall and can get my equine partners in a frame and keep them there much more easily now, which is of course key, but when I try to step up horses I feel like there are all these little things that I'm still not getting and some rides lately have not been great. I know I will likely get over it at some point, but man it's frustrating. For the first time I actually want to skip a lesson this week!
    Maybe you need to not obsess over every little thing. Ask your trainer if you can have a "fun" lesson or even go on a hack. I think when we get so hung up on the details and we forget to look at the bigger picture. Remember you are doing this to have fun, and while it is important to improve, its not the be all and end all. Look back and appreciate how far you've come!

disclaimer: I didn't read the above post before writing mine. Clearly great minds think alike! Get out of the arena!
    Last edited by Event4Life; Jan. 30, 2013 at 08:33 PM. Reason: disclaimer added!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Thanks guys, the hacking out is good advice. For some reason I never thought of that, probably because its so freaking cold out, and also I do think I've got a bad case of improve-itis. The barn I ride at now is a little rigid, but I will give it a try and ask.

Alterageous, I have the exact same problem with gutlessness. I've learned to trust my trainer - she is very conservative, which is good for me - but I wish I wasn't such a weenie!

Event4Life - we are FURTHER apart now! LOL BUT next time I'm headed to the Dub, as we affectionately call Wilmington, I'll give you a holler and you can give me a tour of your Pony Palace!!

OK, everyone whose horse has ulcer problems, here's what I decided to do. Since Sky is coming to the end of her UlcerGard treatment, I am ordering "pop rocks" from this company, Abler. They have a program in which you get 20 free packets (with a shipping cost of $12.95) to try the product. It's enough for a week or so depending on the horse's weight. Then if you like the product, you send them an email, and they send you 80 more packets for $162.05. Here's the link:

http://www.abler.com/products/abprazole-try-b4-u-buy

I figure I can try the product to make sure Sky will eat it, and then finish out her omeprazole treatment for another month or so with the stuff. After that I will start her on probiotics for long-term.

I found out that this company also sells omeprezole in tubes for considerably less than I paid for the UlcerGard, so I may order some tubes from them to keep on hand for away shows and other potential stressful situations. I also discovered that there is a company in Canada that sells a similar product for racehorses that is even cheaper. I have to see what I can find out about them. I found all this out from searching old threads here on CoTH. Amazing!
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Good luck, Dewey. Keep us posted.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I am in a saddle dilemma. I have found a Prestige that I like well enough, that is very affordable relative to retail such that I could probably make back everything I paid for it when/if I sell, if not a little extra.

I also really liked the very affordable dover circuit special eq, which is obviously cheaper but does not have the resale at all. Both fit the horse passably. One ties up a lot less $$ than the other, resale aside. I can't really decide between them!

I just had the most strange /weird PM I have ever gotten in my entire time on Coth.
    I was accused of trashing someone through emails and PM's when all I know about the person is what I've read here on this board.
    Why would someone do this? What have I done to this person? I do not know but what ever it is she seems to think I have done her wrong and has made it her job to spread roomers about me ( maybe true about someone else but not me).
    I just hope that if any of you have received a PM from someone on this board and the subject matter is me.. I hope none of you believe it. I have not received the PM, have no desire to. I do not wish to see it. I can say this I am glad I do not have a "friend" like her.. but if you wish to believe it and wish me to go that is fine I will. If you wish to believe the screwy ranting of someone who is apparently mentally ill that is fine I will leave. Your choice.
    Friend of bar .ka

Bumknees, I haven't heard a thing. You are part of our group, and I hope you stay.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

1 members found this post helpful.

Bumknees, I haven't heard anything either. I wouldn't judge you on a blind PM, anyway! Don't worry about it. This is a huge forum. There are always some out there that don't play nice.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Alterageous, are the prices way different? I'd be inclined to go with the Circuit if they were priced very differently. And I've actually heard good things about them. If the prices are close, then go for the higher quality Prestige. Just my opinion of what I would do! Good luck.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I had a really hard lesson yesterday. It brought me to the realization that I need more leg strength. I just wish I rode tougher skinned horses more often. It's a little unfair to expect me to build any leg strength when I'm on push button horses 90% of the time and once every few weeks you put me on a horse that's dead to the aids.

I'm just whining. I will get stronger and work my legs out more. I rode in a new saddle that was very painful to ride in and did not fit me well at all, on a horse who I previously had only ridden with spurs and a crop but was expected to ride without either, on a day when I was tired. All I thought the whole lesson was that I couldn't keep doing it, like my instructor was asking too much of me.

In retrospect I was being a big baby. I pushed through the lesson but I was losing my nerve and getting so upset over not feeling strong enough that for the first time in months I left a lesson feeling as though I'd accomplished nothing. The entire lesson felt like a failure. I was on the verge of tears, getting angry at the horse for the fact that I was sweating profusely and in pain over an attempt to move him slightly over to the side and he still ignored me and blew through my leg. NEVER do I usually blame the horse but I was in such a state of mind that I wanted to. Maybe my trainer just gave me way too much to put on my plate. She totally missed the balance of "enough of a challenge to make it interesting but not so much to make it feel impossible".

I guess I just wish that, if building leg strength were truly the goal, they'd just put me on a horse for a few weeks because it goes against all exercise logic to claim that a hard workout like that once very few weeks is actually beneficial. It's better to do it consistently if not 2x a week. Boooooo. She says I did fine but I don't believe her.

Time to hit the gym, haha.

Don't be too hard on yourself, Ladyfreckles. It really is hard when you're on different horses and they are all different. I'm a little more concerned that your saddle was bad for you. That right there makes your whole ride miserable! Sorry you had a crappy lesson. Can you talk to your trainer and tell her/him your goals?
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by ladyfreckles View Post
    I had a really hard lesson yesterday. It brought me to the realization that I need more leg strength. I just wish I rode tougher skinned horses more often. It's a little unfair to expect me to build any leg strength when I'm on push button horses 90% of the time and once every few weeks you put me on a horse that's dead to the aids.

I'm just whining. I will get stronger and work my legs out more. I rode in a new saddle that was very painful to ride in and did not fit me well at all, on a horse who I previously had only ridden with spurs and a crop but was expected to ride without either, on a day when I was tired. All I thought the whole lesson was that I couldn't keep doing it, like my instructor was asking too much of me.

In retrospect I was being a big baby. I pushed through the lesson but I was losing my nerve and getting so upset over not feeling strong enough that for the first time in months I left a lesson feeling as though I'd accomplished nothing. The entire lesson felt like a failure. I was on the verge of tears, getting angry at the horse for the fact that I was sweating profusely and in pain over an attempt to move him slightly over to the side and he still ignored me and blew through my leg. NEVER do I usually blame the horse but I was in such a state of mind that I wanted to. Maybe my trainer just gave me way too much to put on my plate. She totally missed the balance of "enough of a challenge to make it interesting but not so much to make it feel impossible".

I guess I just wish that, if building leg strength were truly the goal, they'd just put me on a horse for a few weeks because it goes against all exercise logic to claim that a hard workout like that once very few weeks is actually beneficial. It's better to do it consistently if not 2x a week. Boooooo. She says I did fine but I don't believe her.

Time to hit the gym, haha.
    Ask your trainer for exercises you can do at home/the gym to strengthen the right muscles for riding. They are very specific, but obviously anything you do at the gym will help your overall fitness which will help your riding.

I agree with the suggestion to have a goal discussion with your trainer. You need to be on the same page (or at least in the same chapter!) otherwise you'll just end up this frustrated at the end of every lesson.

It is frustrating riding different horses, but ultimately it is the best way to improve our ability as a rider. At the moment I am riding 4 different horses regularly and they range from an ex barrel racing pony to a Thoroughbred 2nd level dressage horse. Try to see riding different as an advantage and maybe discuss changing the "goals" of your lesson with your trainer depending on the horse. Next time you ride a dead to the leg horse a good exercise might be pole work where you're doing lots of 2 point practice, for example, because the horse should be nice and steady for you.
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Bumknees ignore the PM. You are among friends here.

Good plan on the meds Dewey. Let us know how Sky responds.

Very very weird weather up here. Pouring rain the last 2 days, back to freezing cold and snowing. Colic weather for horses, virus weather for the kids. I want to crawl into bed and pull the covers over my head and not get out until spring. Gotta love Canadian winters

48 Days until Spring!!! Whatever that may mean for where ever you live, at least we're all getting closer every day!! I'm SO ready for this whacko weather to end.

HazelG - in 2 days in NC we went from 70 degrees (yes, 70) & sunny to 70 degrees and rainy with tornado watches and warnings, and today we are back to COLD and windy with tomorrow's high right at 40. I'm sure that doesn't compare temperature wise, but these shifts are making me nuts!

Bumbknees, I have someone who trashes me every OT day. This person writes like I actually know her/him in real life. I have had to PM a couple of posters to say that I do not know this person, in real life or otherwise. I think the cyber world can bring out some real crazies....

We know who you are, and no, don't leave.

bumknees - just echoing what everyone else has written. I haven't received anything & would ignore it if I did.

I love COTH but...dang...a few days ago I was basically called in idiot outright. Most of the time the way someone "talks" about us says much more about them than it does us.

1 members found this post helpful.

bumknees - I missed it earlier, sorry, but what everyone else said. Who cares what someone who is sending you anonymous PMs thinks?! If they don't have the balls to come out and say it to your "face" as themselves then screw them. I wouldn't believe it if I got it either. Take everything said on the internet with a large grain of salt.

Thanks.. I knew I could count on you. I just shook me up so bad. I mean how dear that person give my name out just because I happen to question one or two of her replys on a OT days, it's as though she has it out for this person and has decided to transfer it to me.
    Friend of bar .ka