The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 131 of 342 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141181231 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,620 of 6826

Sorry to hear about Charlie

With new horse coming in a few days, I am still trying to figure out exactly how I am going to afford all this. Board is not too bad up here for a not-fancy facility but when you add in another $200/mo for one lesson a week, $100/mo for shoes, well, let's just say the bank wouldn't loan me that much and at least they can take the car back! It's been a long time since I funneled all my spare cash into keeping a horse.

Of course, when you do the math out on taking a half lease plus a couple lessons a week, it comes out the same. I'm unfortunately way beyond the point of being able to be happy riding school horses in lessons all the time, so it was time to buy my own.

Pony4Me, I'm very sorry. That is so hard. You did right by Charlie.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I'm sorry for your loss Pony4me. It is always very hard.

Pony4me - I am so sorry about Charlie. But, as Dewey said, you did right by him and gave him a wonderful retirement.
    And nothing bad happened!

Wow! It sounds like many of you are having a great start to 2013! Pancakes, Bugatti is flippin adorable!!! Omg, and a personality to die for. I’m so jealous! And I love your pics – please share more!

Finzean, I can’t wait to see pictures of the Amazon girl! She sounds amazing. You know, my little coming 3 year old filly is the same as your Amazon with the smarts-level. I think we’re both going to have our hands full! I don’t know if this would work with your girl, but mine (her name is Rose) used to try to walk *me* sometimes when I’d be leading her. The tugging ceased when I started carrying a dressage whip, and every time Rose got her shoulder further ahead than I wanted, I would gently tap her with it on the chest (well, as hard as need be to get my point across). She hasn’t done it for quite some time now – I think that fixed it. You could always give it a shot and see.

Pony4Me, I am SO sorry to hear about Charlie. It’s a wonderful thing you did, giving him the life of Ryan in retirement. I know he appreciated every moment.

Bumknees, I can’t even imagine getting a shock like that! My fiancé and I are about to get a loan to build on our land, and I think I would come unglued to find out something like that. I’m so sorry – I wish I had some wise words, but all I can say is that really sucks.

So, Monday was my final day of college! I am now officially finished with school and am only working full-time instead of trying to do both. Woo-hoo! My horses are still 2 hours away at this point, but I found a great little farm that’s only a 20 minute drive from my house. Board is only slightly more expensive and I really like the BO. So, I think I’m going to move them. Then I can get back to riding and have some great little stories to tell just like the rest of you! I’m so excited – I can’t wait!!!

Pony4Me - so sorry for your loss.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

ClassyRide - congratulations!!!
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you, Tiger Horse! I don't think I ever got to officially welcome you to the group (work full-time + school full-time = no free time!), so welcome!!! It's great to have another re-rider among us as we all travel through the ups and downs of this awesome sport.

ClassyRide, congrats on being out of school, and extra congrats on looking to move your horses closer and finding a nice barn! Go for it!!!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Great news, ClassyRide! how liberating to be done w/school...but at the same time, I remember feeling a little overwhelmed. GREAT news on the new barn!

HAHA - the Amazon - is actually being a stellar & model citizen. It would seem that the trick w/her TB brain (how did I forget this???) is to ask, not tell, and make her think it's her idea to begin with!! But I'm loving her sense of humor.

NC Peeps! The high Tuesday is 32 with a low of 11. WTH??? On top of all the rain we've had here, with only 2 days of sun this weekend, we are going to have a big ol' mess. Wonder what my chances are of convincing DH we need to embrace a snowbird kind of life in order to satisfy my needs?? HAHAHA

Finzean, where in NC are you? There's a possibility we may relocate there from TN. We're thinking about it, anyway! (you can PM me if you prefer). Tx!

And I get you with this crappy weather. It's been raining so much this week and over the weekend that I have had to reschedule my vet appointment for my gimpy boy twice! Don't want to trailer him in the rain, and me being on crutches still, not wanting to deal with it (poor husband, gimpy wife and gimpy horse!).
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Thank you very much - I have been hanging around COTH for quite awhile and I must say this group is "da bomb"!!

Can I ask for some saddle recommendations?

After my tumble on Sunday, I think I need to at least consider getting a saddle with a deeper seat. So - looking for a 17-17.5, forward flap, deep seat saddle with blocks. Really like the looks of the Stubben Roxane S.

Horse is a medium, has withers and a dip behind his shoulder. He is more flat than curvy, if that makes sense. I like a wider panel.

Price point: I could stretch to $1100. Luckily I prefer used over new!

I have checked several used saddle sites, but it's a lot easier to shop if you have some idea of what you want. Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Horse View Post
    Can I ask for some saddle recommendations?

After my tumble on Sunday, I think I need to at least consider getting a saddle with a deeper seat. So - looking for a 17-17.5, forward flap, deep seat saddle with blocks. Really like the looks of the Stubben Roxane S.

Horse is a medium, has withers and a dip behind his shoulder. He is more flat than curvy, if that makes sense. I like a wider panel.

Price point: I could stretch to $1100. Luckily I prefer used over new!

I have checked several used saddle sites, but it's a lot easier to shop if you have some idea of what you want. Thanks guys!
    Stubben has a couple used Roxanes but they're a little above your range. That said, they're also nearly new.

There's a good condition one on Ebay for $800 and another for $1100. That's going to be your best bet for a good deal on a stubben just because they don't hold value from new well at all.

Pelham saddlery has one for $995, 17"/30cm tree.

That was a quick search-- I'm saddle hunting so I will keep my eyes out!

If you don't necessarily want a Roxane but are looking for a deeper, blockier saddle, let me noodle on that too. What sort of quality are you looking for? Well-used top of the line or lightly used middle of the line?

I know a lot of peole laugh at M. Toulouse saddles, but I have two of them and love them both (different models). My husband actually traded his Stubben for an M. Toulouse and loves the new saddle. They are not super expensive and they are super comfortable. Being that they have had a bad rap, I do make sure to take extra good care of it, and I am not at all disappointed. I bought mine new for around 900 or so (shop around!).
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    I know a lot of peole laugh at M. Toulouse saddles, but I have two of them and love them both (different models). My husband actually traded his Stubben for an M. Toulouse and loves the new saddle. They are not super expensive and they are super comfortable. Being that they have had a bad rap, I do make sure to take extra good care of it, and I am not at all disappointed. I bought mine new for around 900 or so (shop around!).
    Yup. I just swiped one on ebay for less than $600 and I'm stoked about it.

In my old age I don't really care what brand it is as long as it does what I need it to do with a minimum of fuss and effort. If it's not the fanciest thing and it won't last me 20 years, so what. It was $600.

Quote Originally Posted by Alterageous View Post
    Stubben has a couple used Roxanes but they're a little above your range. That said, they're also nearly new.

There's a good condition one on Ebay for $800 and another for $1100. That's going to be your best bet for a good deal on a stubben just because they don't hold value from new well at all.

Pelham saddlery has one for $995, 17"/30cm tree.

That was a quick search-- I'm saddle hunting so I will keep my eyes out!

If you don't necessarily want a Roxane but are looking for a deeper, blockier saddle, let me noodle on that too. What sort of quality are you looking for? Well-used top of the line or lightly used middle of the line?
    Thanks Alterageous - I had seen several of the Roxanes you mentioned above - missed the one on eBay for $800 - I'll have to take a look at that.

I'm a well-used top of the line kinda gal!

hmmm, I'm gonna have to take a look at the Toulouse saddles.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Horse View Post
    hmmm, I'm gonna have to take a look at the Toulouse saddles.
    I'd take a look, but consider that it's definitely not top of the line. I have seen some well-used devoucoux saddles and at least a few PJs come down into your price range, and a couple older Childerics, if you really want top of the line but well-used for that price.

Still, they're perfectly nice saddles for the money and there's no real reason to go higher end than that unless you really want to. There's unfortunately not a whole lot in the midrange anymore, you either spend $1300 brand new or you're well up into the low $4k range.

Tiger Horse, you need to SIT in one, too. Check out your local tack shop if you have one nearby and actually sit in it. They're pretty nice for the price.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde