The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 126 of 323 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136176226 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,520 of 6457

Quote Originally Posted by jaslyn1701 View Post
    Welcome ladyfreckles! We can be sort of neighbors, my son lives in Seattle! I know what you mean about the smart ones - one of the horses that taught me so very much, was actually, size wise, a pony. But knew more about being ridden and being ridden properly than anything I have ever been on. Do it right and it he was a total joy. Do it wrong, and while he was not mean or ugly, he just wouldn't do what you thought you were going to do. Look at jump - he would run out. Lean too far forward and he would rush. Great teacher!
    Yay, neighbors!

I think horses like that are good teachers. It's a balance, though. Some green horses can just be nutcases under saddle that quickly get out of control if you don't get it. I know some broke horses like that too, though. The trainer trusts me to ride them because if the situation did get out of hand I would be able to handle it without getting angry or scared into doing nothing. I might not have he best seat or balance but I for some reason have a knack for dealing with green horses. It gets them used to a less balanced seat without putting someone who doesn't know what to do on them.

I'm guessing my ability with that comes from the years of riding I had beforehand. I "know" how to deal with those situations it's just a matter of muscle memory. Most riders who look the same as me in the saddle would not have any idea what to do if a horse started bucking (and I've sat quite a few of those over the last for months ).

That being sad, I'm a little annoyed that none of the trainers I work with (2 different barns) will put me on a lunge line. They don't think I need it but I just know if I got on a line for a few days I'd fix the issues I had at the posting trot.

1 members found this post helpful.

Happy 2013 everyone, and welcome to new group posters! Add me to the list of people who hate the cold. I've been riding regularly thanks to duo-fold undies, and some toe warmers. Today was my first whole (w/t/c/j) lesson on my horse since his injury. We (and I mean HE) has a lot to work on. The "go" button is rusty. The "keep going" mechanism does not work well. The "canter on after the jump" program needs to be re-installed. And the "you mean I have to WORK?!?" attitude has got to go. At least he was quiet! So we will spend January re-installing buttons and working on general fitness. I'm not too concerned because we were in the indoor. Trainer is going slowly, and horse's job is to be an adult ammy packer, so we want to bring him safely back to full work. I think he would have had a lot more get-up-and-go if we were in the outdoor ring, but it was frozen. We also have his feed cut way back, and can increase it to add some energy. It's only been 10 days since he started trotting some low jumps, but he's staying sound. So far, so good. Glad to have 2012 behind us.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

2 members found this post helpful.

Hello, everyone! I haven't been posting lately, but I have been reading, so I know what everyone has been up to! Pancakes, CONGRATULATIONS on the new boy! I know we're all keeping our fingers crossed that things work out this time! Can't wait to hear all about him and to see pictures!

Welcome to all the new folks! We have a very good group here, nice and supportive!

I rode today and had a scary experience. After riding in the ring, I took Sky outside the ring to ride a little loop around the edge of the farm (as I often do) to relax and get her used to being outside the ring. Today, a kid on a four-wheeler came barreling down the dirt road toward me. I saw him before he saw me, and I didn't know what to do--there was no place to go--so I just stopped. He came flying around a turn at top speed, his vehicle making all kinds of noise, saw me, and stopped dead missing us by no more than ten feet. Sky wheeled around and started to bolt--she made about three or four gigantic leaps before I was able to stop her. Fortunately I stayed on. I was able to turn to face the kid even though Sky was still terrified. He turned off his engine. I was upset with him, but I will say that his face was as white as a sheet as he realized I could have been killed. I calmly told him to stay where he was--he nodded--and coaxed Sky by him and walked on. After I turned the corner, I yelled back at the kid that he could turn his engine back on and go, but he waited a few more minutes before doing so. I don't think he will forget this experience in a hurry. I sure hope Sky forgets it, though! I am hoping to eventually get her to enjoy trail riding.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Ugh, Dewey! I HATE those d@mn atvs and the motos.. Our best trails some 20 years ago were taken over by mtn bikers and I'm not sure that wasn't worse b/c you never even heard them coming. Ware anything on wheels! I hope the next ride is a little more peaceful.

I had a similar experience this summer Dewey - but not as scary as yours. We heard a couple of those ATVs revving their engines and tearing around on the other side of the fence from our barn's back pasture where we were hacking around. We never actually saw them, but given how loud it was, they had to have been right on the other side of the trees. My horse and I were both freaked out, as were 2 of the horses we were with. I was shaking! I got off and we walked back, and I did not ride in the pasture for quite some time. I have still only been back there a handful of times since.

Glad things are going so well with Snickers, pony4me. I know how relieved you must be.

Had my first ride of the year on Tajar (for the new folks - pronounced like "badger" but with a "t") today, and he did really well. A few moments of testing me to see if I really was going to make him work, but not too bad. Some very nice cantering. The weather actually wasn't too bad. Got up to about 50 degrees, and there was no wind at all.

ladyfreckles - I would be really aggravated about the reluctance to allow you lunge line lessons as well. In fact, I plan on having a lunge line lesson on one of my trainer's been there, done that horses tomorrow so I can concentrate on my leg. We do this quite often, when I have a specific equitation issue I want to work on, and find it very helpful. My trainer attended riding school in England and is BHS certified, and they worked their students on lunge lines a lot. I don't understand what your trainers' issue with it is?
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by TarheelJD View Post
    I had a similar experience this summer Dewey - but not as scary as yours. We heard a couple of those ATVs revving their engines and tearing around on the other side of the fence from our barn's back pasture where we were hacking around. We never actually saw them, but given how loud it was, they had to have been right on the other side of the trees. My horse and I were both freaked out, as were 2 of the horses we were with. I was shaking! I got off and we walked back, and I did not ride in the pasture for quite some time. I have still only been back there a handful of times since.

Glad things are going so well with Snickers, pony4me. I know how relieved you must be.

Had my first ride of the year on Tajar (for the new folks - pronounced like "badger" but with a "t") today, and he did really well. A few moments of testing me to see if I really was going to make him work, but not too bad. Some very nice cantering. The weather actually wasn't too bad. Got up to about 50 degrees, and there was no wind at all.

ladyfreckles - I would be really aggravated about the reluctance to allow you lunge line lessons as well. In fact, I plan on having a lunge line lesson on one of my trainer's been there, done that horses tomorrow so I can concentrate on my leg. We do this quite often, when I have a specific equitation issue I want to work on, and find it very helpful. My trainer attended riding school in England and is BHS certified, and they worked their students on lunge lines a lot. I don't understand what your trainers' issue with it is?
    They just don't think I need it. I *never* understood that mentality. I'm leaving one of the barns soon (they don't jump... and my passion is H/J). The other I'm still considering while I juggle job offers to go work at a couple other places in exchange for lessons and board. The H/J barn said they'd do it but they kept forgetting.

I'm a lunge line fanatic. Last summer I saw a huge improvement from just 3 lessons on it. Because I haven't been on the line I've been using my hands for balance. Luckily once the whole barn thing gets suited out I'll find someone. if not... I'll be posting ads asking around for who'd be willing to do it.

I love lunge line lessons! Gives me a chance to work on me without having to worry about the pony. And, because my trainer is in charge of steering, keeps me from being handsy and makes me use my seat more.
    And nothing bad happened!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

So I finally managed a lesson today! After barely riding at all this week I was worried we'd be awful, but we weren't :-D. We did a mini 2'6 course including a swedish oxer and he was fabulous! Trainers want us to do the jumpers at a local C show in a few weeks, aaahhhh!! Duke's never been to a show before and I haven't been to one in years, and never for the jumpers, so I'm glad we're starting low. 2'6-2'9 felt huge today though! Anyway I'm excited, and I think Duke will love it - his little ears prick straight forward when we jump, and he loves having an audience.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Woke up at 5am, left the house at 5:30, got to the barn at 6am. Left at 6:15 with my trainer to do a jumper show at 8am. Yes it was cold, but thank you for indoor heated arenas!! Had a great time and came back with a couple of ribbons.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyfreckles View Post
    Yay, neighbors!
    That being sad, I'm a little annoyed that none of the trainers I work with (2 different barns) will put me on a lunge line. They don't think I need it but I just know if I got on a line for a few days I'd fix the issues I had at the posting trot.

I had this problem - the one barn I went to didn't do lunge lines at all and the second one they didn't think it was necessary for me. I distinctly remember being put on a lunge line as a kid, so this was a bit shocking to me that they wouldn't do it, but it sounds like it's a common thing now?

I never had any issues at the trot, but I almost drove myself nuts learning a canter depart - it's like my hands had minds of their own and would pull back no matter what I told them to do. I finally broke the habit, but I feel it did not need to be that difficult and even now the canter depart is my weakest transition and I don't know if it will ever not be.

"I never had any issues at the trot, but I almost drove myself nuts learning a canter depart - it's like my hands had minds of their own and would pull back no matter what I told them to do. I finally broke the habit, but I feel it did not need to be that difficult and even now the canter depart is my weakest transition and I don't know if it will ever not be. "

Having finally fixed most of my issues at the trot, it's time to move on to the canter. Gulp. Like you twelvebelles, when I have attempted it before, my leg says canter, my hands say "oh please don't" and we end up with a running into a very choppy canter. Lunge line, here I come.

Pancakes- can't wait to hear more and see PHOTOS! Congrats.

Pony4me- congrats on your first lesson post-injury! SOunds like a good start.

Dewey- how very scary!! SO glad you were OK though, and that she was able to walk by him in the end.

I'm a fan of lunge line lessons too - I think I actually need them right now to work on my leg strength.

Jaslyn- good luck! I am sure you will work it out. I had the same issue when I was riding my old greenie, as I was kind of scared of him. I eventually got over it, and I am certain you will too!

We had some great rides lately, but I am SO out of shape and my heels are coming up over every jump. I need to do some serious strength work. We also did a 2'9" oxer yesterday, and Ollie did it great! My lesson learned this week is that SPEED is my FRIEND. I need to let him (or make him, usually...) go faster to get enough pace for some of these bigger jumps we're doing. He is so much better and more careful with some pace, even over the smaller jumps.

I also did some lead change practice *without* using a pole, and he got a few, and one time he changed in the front but not the back. I am happy that he at least recognizes what I am asking for now though, even without the pole! We're going to keep working on it.

And Tarheel - I think my barn's going to do the In Unison hunter pace in March! I am so very excited to try one. I think we're going to go to some Horse Show Ventures shows too. I think I'm going to start in one or two of the 2'3" divisions and go up to 2'6" if I get more comfortable this year. I'm only now starting to complete real courses at 2'6" at home, so we'll see how we progress. Dumb-dumb's still knocking rails...

They put me on the line this morning. Within 30 minutes I was MUCH better. I was not rocking as much at the canter and was able to sit through canter-trot transitions and trot-walk-trot transitions with and without stirrups.

I was with the other trainer today who has taken over while the head trainer recovers from surgery. I've had her a couple times before. She really liked the way I rode and handled horses and asked if I could ride/lease her horse who is boarded very close to where I live. She's had a hard time finding a lessee who is a good enough rider for him. I'd also get to show on him during the fall season. Precisely what I was looking for.

Woohoo!

1 members found this post helpful.

Sounds like everyone is having some really nice rides. Good for you all!

I think I get my walking cast tomorrow. Yay!! Wish me luck.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

That's great PaintedHunter -- maybe we'll run into each other this year!

Good Luck ParadoxFarm.

I finalized our Rolex plans over the last couple of days. We're staying at the Griffin Gate Marriott Thursday through Monday. Anyone else know if they are going yet?
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Yay Paradox! How long before you can sit on a horse? LOL - when I partially tore my achilles a number of years ago, I was told DO NOT RIDE. So, I got on a schoolie and rode with no stirrups! Didn't do a lot - just HAD to sit on a horse!

Thanks Tarheel and Jaslyn! I think as soon as I get this hard cast off I will tack my guy up maybe with my western saddle and just do a light ride! I can't wait much longer!!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I am about to "jump" into the hunter re-rider ring! Took hunt seat lessons about 40 years ago, then got my own horse and rode the trail for the next 33 years!! Bought my gelding in 2009 with dressage as our main focus - realized about 2 yrs ago he really prefers to jump - life got in the way, so we continued down the dressage path. FINALLY making the switch - to say I am NERVOUS is an understatement. So much to learn & re-learn, have a couple of great trainers and hope I am up to the challenge. Found a comfy saddle that fits us both, so that's a start . . . first jump lesson is on Thursday . . . any tips??
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Paradox - yay, freedom! The next step towards it, at least... it must be a relief!

Ladyfreckles - welcome and I'm really glad you eventually got to get a lunge line lesson! The security of knowing you don't have to be in total control really frees up your mind to work on those problem areas. Welcome and hopefully this allows you to grow as a rider

Tiger Horse - Welcome! The best advice for starting jumping for me was to be patient, BREATHE, keep your shoulders back (it will help you from jumping ahead), and be patient. Don't rush, do the small things first, and keep your eyes up!

Event4Life - You should go for the jumpers! It sounds like you're ready Have fun with it!

PaintedHunter - Keep it up on the lead changes, it sounds like you're almost there! And I hear ya about feeling loose and weak. It seems like 2, or 3 weeks off is enough to set you back a lot. But a 2'9" oxer is nothing to sniff about, so congrats!

Dewey -- Thank you for your enthusiasm for me! I am over the moon about this new horse, and I have nothing but good feelings that he's the right one for me. The last one I wasn't that in love with from the start, but this one was love at first sight.

I don't want to jinx things until he's safely home in his stall (Saturday is the day!), but I'll post a teaser picture because he is just SO handsome I can't stand it. He got vetted yesterday, all is good and what I expected, and he got gelded yesterday. Yes, that's right...he was a stallion when I tried him! You wouldn't know it though, he had an amazing temperament. He's at the farm recovering this week and will be coming home to me Saturday.

My new boy

He's a coming 5 year old (in the spring) Dutch WB x TB. <3

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Horse View Post
    I am about to "jump" into the hunter re-rider ring! Took hunt seat lessons about 40 years ago, then got my own horse and rode the trail for the next 33 years!! Bought my gelding in 2009 with dressage as our main focus - realized about 2 yrs ago he really prefers to jump - life got in the way, so we continued down the dressage path. FINALLY making the switch - to say I am NERVOUS is an understatement. So much to learn & re-learn, have a couple of great trainers and hope I am up to the challenge. Found a comfy saddle that fits us both, so that's a start . . . first jump lesson is on Thursday . . . any tips??
    Remember to breathe! Seriously, do that and you'll be fine. This is supposed to be fun after all! I can't imagine they'll have you jumping 3'6 the first time out, so just enjoy it. Speak up if you feel uncomfortable doing anything they ask.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey