The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 125 of 355 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135175225 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,500 of 7095

I read that this morning and was happy to see David, to me a local! . He did do a very nice job. He has always been nice and very friendly any time I've talked to him.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Default I just hate winter...

So the squished ribs are healing up nicely but I haven't been riding YET. Hauled in a load of beautiful orchard grass today from my hay guy who is a gem of a man and grows the best hay.

Holidays were very good to us - The Birthday Girl (my now 12 year old daughter) is a 12/26 baby so we've been covered up in wrapping paper. She received a lot of new horse stuff...we're excited to put it to use...some Posh Purple Pony Glam hoof goo, new dressage bridle, riding clothes... I'll be living vicariously thru her! lol

Hoping to get on my grey mare in the next couple of days but the weather ain't cooperating.

Hope everyone had a great holiday!

Late Merry Christmas to everyone! Hope everyone had a good holiday.

Had 4 days off from work and didn't ride at all. I shopped the first two days, then it rained. Finally made it out to the barn in the cold on Thursday night and the Little Gray Mare was lame when I trotted her off. Trainer says it looks like her stifle is acting up again a little bit so she got some meds and a week off. Last night I rode my old buddy the Cadillac and discovered I can barely remember how to ride him. Very different mover from the little mare (Hack winner vs lesson horse!). I didn't really canter him as I've never ridden him under the lights before, he was cold, he hasn't been ridden in almost a month and he was a bit up. We'll ride during the day tomorrow and I'll be braver.

Everyone at the barn seemed to like their fingerless gloves, so my Christmas knitting was a success.

Hope everyone gets to start out 2013 on a good horse note!

Good lesson this morning, on a schoolie who was happy to be doing something after a week off. Then this afternoon, trainer cautiously trotted Snickers over a couple of cross-rails. He was fine! Plan is to do it again tomorrow and then gradually get back to normal work, including jumping.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Late Merry Christmas everyone! I just got back from a caribbean vacation with my family, and am now a qualified scuba diver! YAY! Onwards and upwards....I love diving, but you can't cuddle dive gear & I'm so ready to get to the barn later today.

I'm way overdue for a lesson so am trying to get that sorted for next week sometimes. Should be easy as I only have 2 shifts at work (so annoying!). I think I mentioned earlier I found my dream saddle at a dream price on Ebay. It arrived, seller was super easy to work with - she paid for insurance so if it arrived while I was away they wouldn't leave it on the porch - so I'm excited to pick it up tomorrow!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, everyone.

I informally lease my friend's horse Leo, a perfect elderly, but spry, thoroughbred. (I've mentioned it before, but since I don't post often, I thought that I'd spring that info again.) Things are tight these days and I've wanted to find someone nice to half lease him with me. I put up an ad on craigslist and think I may have found a great person! I'm so excited. This will allow me to do more things for him and take lessons for me.

Quote Originally Posted by iechris View Post
    Everyone at the barn seemed to like their fingerless gloves, so my Christmas knitting was a success.
    I was thinking about doing this for some of my horsie folks but didn't - glad to know it was a hit...I'm going to get started now for next year!! Keep calm & knit on!

Happy New Year re-riders! May we all see our 2013 goals with our horse come to fruition!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm new to this thread/board and so glad to see others in the same boat, although I haven't had the time to read the whole thread yet. Three kids and a husband leaves little time for things like reading! I just got back into riding after nearly 20 years off, my 5-year-old daughter wanted to take lessons so when she started I couldn't resist getting back into it. After two lessons, as luck would have it, a wonderful Zangersheide jumper came to our trainer to be sold and my loving husband agreed to purchase him for me. It's been a month and I get so discouraged that I'm not the fearless teenager I once was. I plan to compete in low adult jumpers next season and I'm already stressing about the nerves. Plus my body isn't as lean and flexible as it once was.

Welcome, kelsma03!!!

Happy New Year to all. I actually got on my horse today for the first time in about a month (one thing and another). It was not a long ride (late night/early morning LOL), but it was a ride. There was even a New Year's Day appearance from the Invisible Monster that Lives in the Woods, which resulted in a spook, but I rode it. After being off for the better part of a month, needless to say, the boy had his TB brain in, but he was pretty darn good considering the monster, the wind, etc.
    And nothing bad happened!

Kelsma03, welcome! I understand your nervousness, just remember to take things slow and enjoy the ride There's no rush to the finish line.

Happy New Year's! I hope everyone up North is staying warm

Sooo...my patience and persistence has paid off, I think! I drove 260 miles each direction (500+ round trip) today to see a horse that I fell in love with. I LOVE everything about him. He has some health things that are minor which require no maintenance, but they make him unsuitable for what the owner had in mind so he went up for sale. Did I say I love him? He's exactly what I'm looking for in every way, and has the best personality. He's so quiet and lovable, and he's a dream to ride... More details to come as things get finalized, and if all things go according to plan he's going to be home here in 11 days. I can't wait!!

I haven't had any riding since I got sick with the flu, which has been almost a month now. Tomorrow I'll get back in the saddle and help work off some of these holiday pounds!

I made out like a bandit at Horseman's Outlet while home for the holidays, and I got a used but like-new Mattes sheepskin half pad for $60 and a set (front/hind) of white Eskadrons for $50. Steal! Also got a pair of the black sticky stirrup grip pads and a pair of stirrup leathers for Christmas, so I am excited to use those too

Hooray, Pancakes - that's wonderful. Can't wait to see pictures!!!!!

I'm feeling whiney so pardon my mini-rant about this dreadful weather. I absolutely HATE winter...can't seem to ever get warm unless I sit in the truck, parked in full sun with the heat set at 90. I have a really, REALLY difficult time being motivated to go outside. The cold on top of the cracked rib, then the rain & swamplike conditions....well, my plan to get on did not come to fruition. I need to embrace a Nike attitude...oh well.

Today we're off to Dover for some Xmas exchanges & a new helmet for me as the hunt cap just ain't gonna cut it now that I'm embracing "fossils over fences." LOL One of my old friends is sending me her big TB mare for a time so I've got a new ride coming. Mare is a a BIG bodied 16.3+...I'm excited but nervous having gotten used to the little Connie X mare. I don't feel as brave. What's that country song from way back? I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once, as I ever was...well, let's hope so if the big mare decides to do any spooking hard business. I should also pick up some Sadltite! HAHA

Warm wishes to everyone...well, wishes for warmth, actually!! Trot on and stay warm!!

I feel you, Finzean - I hate winter too - even though I am in Florida. It's a whopping 46 right now. We had planned to ride this morning, but too cold.

Welcome Kelsma03. Care to share any pics of your new "pony"?

Pancakes, AWESOME! Can't wait to hear more about your new guy. How exciting.

Jaslyn, congrats on riding the spook. The more you do, the easier it feels.

Finzean, have fun with the new big mare!

I'm finally getting over my monster cold and on Tuesday I get this cast off and get a walking cast! There is light at the end of the tunnel. Can't wait to ride.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I am sort of a re-rider, though I have been for a year. Multiple things have held me back/slowed me down.

I've been working on re-building the muscle memory for properly posting and jumping. I got really decent at sitting the trot over the past year but my trainer taught me to over-post by a lot. I've been working on controlling the movement and keeping me upper body at a nice 30 degree angle in front of the vertical (I'm too far forward right now). It's tough. My dad has pictures of me riding when I was younger and I looked so much better with my equitation back then. I really do feel like I'm starting from scratch

I need to ride a lot more often than I have been, but that's mostly thanks to winter.

The other day I sat through a spook where the horse took off at a full on gallop. I did lose my stirrups and come out of the saddle and onto the horses neck but in less than two seconds I pulled myself back into position. Then I circled her around the thing that made her spook at a trot until she calmed down and paid more attention to the inside of the ring instead of what was scary and outside.

I'm proud of myself for that. I have sat through a few temper tantrums as well. I've also been riding a four-year-old who doesn't always quite understand what I'm asking him. Horses are so fine-tuned to movement that I make slight mistakes and he ends up off, or at least that's what I feel is going on. His owner who I ride him for thinks he just doesn't understand what's being asked yet and is still guessing. I think he's too smart and is being ultra specific Funnily enough I have an easier time riding him and a 3-year-old filly than the 7-year-old broke, calm mare I leased last year. The mare was too calm... I could make mistakes left and right and never pay the price for it.

My riding's improved a lot since I started riding the greenies consistently. I keep calling myself green but the trainer and owners tell me not to. Ah well. I'm green until I can post the trot without over posting and sit the canter using my seat instead of my shoulders.

Welcome ladyfreckles! We can be sort of neighbors, my son lives in Seattle! I know what you mean about the smart ones - one of the horses that taught me so very much, was actually, size wise, a pony. But knew more about being ridden and being ridden properly than anything I have ever been on. Do it right and it he was a total joy. Do it wrong, and while he was not mean or ugly, he just wouldn't do what you thought you were going to do. Look at jump - he would run out. Lean too far forward and he would rush. Great teacher!

Quote Originally Posted by jaslyn1701 View Post
    Welcome ladyfreckles! We can be sort of neighbors, my son lives in Seattle! I know what you mean about the smart ones - one of the horses that taught me so very much, was actually, size wise, a pony. But knew more about being ridden and being ridden properly than anything I have ever been on. Do it right and it he was a total joy. Do it wrong, and while he was not mean or ugly, he just wouldn't do what you thought you were going to do. Look at jump - he would run out. Lean too far forward and he would rush. Great teacher!
    These are my favorite kinds of horses! I suspect my Ollie has a bit of this in him; as I become a better rider, some of his quirks are going away. Either that or he's so dumb that he doesn't KNOW what to do unless very precisely asked, haha!

Welcome, ladyfreckles. Sounds like you're well on your way to getting back to your riding shape! Good job on sitting the power spook. I hate those!

My current horse is somewhat of a horse that needs good riding. He's not hard for me to ride, but I have had to learn how to ride HIM. I now find him easy, but I'm reminded that he's not an easy ride whenever someone else gets on him and tells me so. He may not be perfect, but he's perfect for me! This is the first horse I've had in many, many years that I've really loved. He's special.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Yay Pancakes. Can't wait to hear more!

Finzean - I loathe the cold too! Dreading having to brave it tomorrow!

Welcome ladyfreckles!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson