The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 110 of 509 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120160210 ... LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,200 of 10175

Pancakes, what a LOVELY horse!! I love him. Finn is cute. You can possibly show as Finnegan. Hmm.

quietann, your horse is beautiful!

Sing Mia Song, looks good! Nice, quiet, and willing!

Me: Day 2 of cast, and it's already getting old. I may need to go out to the barn today just to pet the "ponies". I'll be careful, though. My husband is being a trooper caring for everything.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Congratulations, Pancakes! You are a horse owner at last!

I love the pictures! He is very,very cute! I can't wait to hear all about your adventures with him.

I just read your thread on the Sport Horse Breeding forum, and what an exciting story is unfolding! I'd contact that farm right away and find out all they can tell you about your boy. I'd even hold off naming him. He may already have a fab registered name and maybe a cute barn name they gave him when he was young. Wouldn't that be cool?
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I had to go and read the other thread, too! That is pretty exciting. I hope you get some good information! He's such a cutey and it sounds like you will be an EXCELLENT home for him.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Just checking in briefly - letting down after all of the storm angst! That wind sounded so serious! And it kept knocking at the door!

ParadoxFarm - so that is why hubby was cooking! So sorry about the ankle. What a trooper you were to go for some time. When B bucked me off on the road last winter, it was also easier for me to ride, than walk, but at least I healed. Yikes, take care of yourself.

PaintedHunter - yay! What a handsome guy! Love his eyes! Looks like he will be a lot of FUN. Congrats!
    How can there be so many currents in such a little puddle?
    National Velvet

CVpeg, I plan to extra careful so I can heal up and get back to riding as soon as possible. I had a goal that I almost hit and now will likely have to start over a bit. Ah, well. A few days before the cast I did some really nice 3'6" jumps which I felt really good about. (My horse is wonderful.). I'm hoping my husband will take my lesson slot on Saturday. He rarely takes a lesson and I think it will be good for him and his grumpy horse. . Plus I still learn from watching others take lessons. I enjoy it.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Congratulations, Pancakes, and good to hear that Peg didn't get hammered too badly by Sandy. Sorry about your ankle, Paradox. Hang in there; we'll keep you entertained. Still not liking the new bb look, but I will try to adapt. Have a nice evening, everyone!
    It's 2015. Do you know where your old horse is?

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    Congratulations, Pancakes! You are a horse owner at last!

I love the pictures! He is very,very cute! I can't wait to hear all about your adventures with him.

I just read your thread on the Sport Horse Breeding forum, and what an exciting story is unfolding! I'd contact that farm right away and find out all they can tell you about your boy. I'd even hold off naming him. He may already have a fab registered name and maybe a cute barn name they gave him when he was young. Wouldn't that be cool?
    Thank you!! Thank you everyone I have even CUTER pictures of him today. Every day I spend with him I think more of him. He's cute, handsome, and really really fancy once he gets going under tack. Yes, it would be so cool to hear about him as a baby! I will try to contact the farm and find out about him. I'd love to hear what his real name is, or at least find out his breeding. I'd like to name him something that has to do with his sire (same letter). If it is Amateur like others have suggested, I need "A" names! Today I think it's finally starting to sink in.

Pics from today:
    Do you have cookies?
    Lost in thought
    Showing his sweet nature and beautiful face
    He's a really lovely mover

Pancakes, love the new pics! He is such a sweetie! Have you thought about insurance yet?

Jaslyn, so sorry for your frustrations, and may the mystery lameness clear up soon!

Opus, it's good to hear from you. I hope you're getting some riding time in at last, but it's nice to hear that the friendly neighborhood teen is helping you out. Make sure Oliver knows who his real mom is, though! Good luck with the saddle, and I'll be interested in how it turns out. Thanks for your nice comments about Sky's pics.

CVPeg, so glad you weathered the storm! DD is in college at Alfred, and she says they closed the campus yesterday.

Paradox, may your ankle heal quickly! We need you back jumping 3'6" soon, so we can all enjoy it vicariously.

quietann, hope your mare is doing OK. She is lovely--love her coloring.

Sky's right-to-left change has been pretty solid for awhile, but she seemed to have a mental block about the other one. Most of the time Sky lands on her right lead, so it's not an issue, but it bothers me that she won't do it when I ask. I mentioned it to my coach, and she didn't seem that concerned; she seemed to think it would come eventually since Sky has developed such a nice balanced canter. However, yesterday, the coach was sick , so no lesson. I got out my dressage whip and decided to work on it.

After warming up, I put her in a really big figure eight at the canter: right lead, flying change to left lead, simple change to right lead. Did this about three times and then asked for a flying change to right lead. No go. Stopped her and did simple change, and then continued. Flying change to left lead, asked again for change to right lead accompanied by tap with dressage whip. She gave a huge buck and came down cross cantering. I stopped, picked up right lead and continued. Flying change to left, came around and was about to ask for a simple change to the right lead, and she did a perfect left-to-right flying change on her own. I think she felt me shift my position and anticipated what I wanted. At last! I stopped her, praised her to the skies, and decided to quit even though I had been riding only about 35 minutes. I have been second-guessing myself and wondering whether I should have drilled it a bit more, but I wanted to end on the positive note. She's the type who, while in the pasture between rides, thinks about "issues" we've had and then, the next time I get on her, picks right up as if there was never a problem. Really hope that's the case here. I am ashamed to say how much I have been worrying about that lead change.

It is so good to have this group I can talk about these things with. DH is so supportive, but if I had explained the above, his eyes would have glazed over.
    Last edited by Dewey; Oct. 31, 2012 at 08:56 AM.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Bad news...see my post in the Breeding forum. My stint as a horse owner comes to a close not one week after I got him. What a bummer. I love him still but...that's life.

Oh, no, Pancakes! That is just tragic! I am soooooo sorry.

I'm glad you found out the truth about this horse, but I am so sorry you found out after you fell in love and bought him. I hope you and the person you bought him from can work out an agreement, and I hope the horse gets to retire somewhere. But you must be heartbroken! My heart goes out to you!

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks Dewey. It could have been worse. I could have definitely gotten more attached to him. It hurts, but not as bad as it could have. The people I bought him from are willing to take him back but they aren't sure they can keep him forever. If anyone wants the fanciest, sweetest, most kind pleasure horse ever, let me know...

Oh no, Pancakes - I'm so sorry. I need to go ove to the Breeding forum to see what happened.

Dewey -- congrtaulations on the flying change success -- that is major! And I definitely think you did the right thing with the effusive praise and then ending on that good note.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

I'm sorry Pancakes. I read your other post. Seems like you did the right thing, difficult as it was. I hope the horse finds a soft place to land, he looked lovely. The right horse will find you.

Thanks Hazel. I'm really depressed today, moreso than I thought I would be. He is more than lovely. I rode him yesterday and though he was more "awkward" in one direction than another and not really unsound, he was an amazing ride. It just saddens me that such a great horse had such a terrible thing happen and we can't be together. I can't do it though...my budget can't keep a horse boarded for what he is and what my needs are. He will go back to the seller to a big, green pasture.

paradox- happy healing thoughts! How frustrating

Pancakes, I am so very sorry to hear this. The person who originally took advantage of the first purchaser should be drug into the street and shot. That is just AWFUL. I am so glad that you were posting over on the breeding forum to find this out though - it seems this was meant to happen to save that poor horse. It certainly makes it no less painful for you, but know that your involvement in his life, however short, has prevented him from future tragic pain and suffering. You have been his hero.

Dewey, I can totally relate about the lead changes - we have trouble with them too. It doesn't help that Ollie can do a counter canter super balanced all day long. When I do get one on the flat when I ask for it, I stop right there. He gets REALLY excited about them - in a happy way - and I know he does better when he's not drilled. If he gets something once, he does better if I praise him to high heavens and end it there. He's lazy, so if he learns that if he does things right the first time, work ends- well that's just peachy for him
    Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

Pancakes, I'm so sorry. Sorry for you, and sorry for the horse. But at least you know he'll be going back to a good home where they can let him live a comfortable life. Sigh. I feel for you. He has such a beautiful eye.

Dewey, sounds like some great progress with your lead changes. And don't worry about the riding being "only" 35 minutes. Heck, often times I can only get a good 20 minutes in! And as far as my jumping..maybe I can dig up a picture from this year. I don't have anything special, but will find something. I am afraid I will have to start all over when I'm healed. But it's okay. I'm sure my "pony" won't mind having some winter time off to get fuzzy.

Thanks, all! Hope you're all enjoying this nice (probably last of the) fall weather out riding!
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Okay, this is nothing special, just a schooling session at home. I think it might be around 3'3"? Not sure. http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...21Chico4-1.jpg

And a show pic, only 2'6"! http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...p/DSCF0153.jpg

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...p/DSCF0152.jpg

And just my favorite picture I had taken this year at a show http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...ump/photo6.jpg

On that note, I would love to see more pics if anyone else wants to share! Thanks.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Paradox, I just LOVE his coloring!

He's adorable, Paradox. Great pics!

Thanks, PaintedHunter! He is a cutey, huh? We don't do very well in hunter classes, so we do jumprs. He's been the best horse I've ever had, and before him I would probably have never looked at a horse like him. I'm sure glad he came into my life.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde