The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 107 of 325 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117157207 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,140 of 6489

Dewey, that's all so awesome!! What great news, and look at those legs- cleared with a foot to spare! I think you have a potential superstar on your hands

I had an amazing day- I somehow talked myself into jumping three feet, and did it twice. It felt so good afterwards!
    Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

3 feet?! Wooo hooo, you go, girl!
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I could hardly believe myself! My trainer encouraged it, as I'm usually a weenie. I'm lucky, though, in that my Ollie will ALWAYS go over - or through!- anything I point him at, and tolerates a LOT.

Well, congrats on your milestone.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Quote Originally Posted by ballisticgirl View Post
    Hey All!

Is it a fair goal to wean oneself off of training rides and go it alone with trainer in three times weekly lessons?

How many of you are doing it mostly yourself with a young horse while receiving pressure to have trainer show/train horse in perpetuity?

At $3K a week to show, I am not inclined to continue to watch trainer ride and show horse as I sit on the sidelines.

Appreicate anyone's thoughts...horse is five, I'm not going off him and realize there is a lot of growing up to do on his part. : )
    Like Dewey the thought of a Pro ride is a concept that is forgen to me. Back in the Day we didnt have "Pro Rides" we did the horse our selves it didnt matter if they were push button or firebreathing dragons. Thats not to say our trainers did not get on our horses if we had problems with them, but it was not " expected" that they rode our horses instead of us riding them.

What if you said "no i think Im going to ride my own horse with you only riding IF I have a PROBLEM and SHOWING me how to correct the PROBLEM." to your trainer what do you think she would say. ( be sure to use the word problen not "issue" for you would have a problem not an issue if she was needed to ride your horse). She may have a fit if so it is time to leave the barn for one where you dont have to have a "Pro ride" your horse and let this "pro" know that also. Let her know you are willig t leave her barn to seek out one that dosent reqire a pro ride and one that dosent say that you cant ride your own horse. Let her chew on that and see wha says.

She insuts you by saying "Your horse needs me to ride it and you can't show for a few years" if you cant ride your ouw horse then why did you buy it? She is after $$$ from you so take it away from her by saying "NO".

I would have left her a long time ago. ( if I was healthy that is) I see her as a money grubing person who thinks her clients shoud support the way she wish to be accosom ( kinda like my MIL who think her DIL should).
    Friend of bar .ka

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    Well, congrats on your milestone.
    Thanks! I still feel on top of the WORLD today! I have a feeling trainer's going to be really pushing me now- she said his form over bigger fences is so much better, and we got better spots than usual.

It sounds like people are really doing well. I've been in the "Oh I'd never jump that high!" camp, and guess what, I did! (Highest I did before my accident was 3'3", in the form of one fence on a 2'6" to 3' course...) If I can do it, so can you

Meanwhile... Feronia's lame It happened very suddenly yesterday, of course during a dressage test in front of a judge. She didn't want to go from walk to trot (very odd, for her), I tapped her with the whip, she trotted and bam. Head. Bobbing. Lame. on the right front. Farrier just saw her... we were hoping abscess or stone bruise, but he thinks it's something higher up. Vet comes tomorrow. I am very worried... I've kept her duct-taped together for 2 years now, knowing at any time she could come apart on me. I so hope it's not happening now.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Oh, Quietann. Jingles for Feronia. I hope it's just something simple. Let us know what the vet says.

Dewey - love the pictures and you might as well jump 3' since your amazing mare is jumping that high anyway

Love it!!!!
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Quietann, so sorry to hear about Feronia!

Let us know what the outcome is. I know you must be so worried.

Thanks, doublesstable! I'm very, very proud of my girl!

Dewey- your girl is adorable and what great knees!

Quietann- hope it is nothing serious with your girl

Bumknees- your typing is really getting better and better all the time!

The little grey mare and I are having quite a partnership! I think my trainer is a bit surprised at how well we have been getting along. I'm back to jumping cross-rails and have been working on courses of poles at night with AAHunter. I finished up last weeks lesson by hand galloping around the ring!

This past weekend I finally made it back down to the hunt I'm a member of. I only got down once last year due to sinus infections and dog shows. Had a great time but it was a bit sad as almost all my favorite hounds are retired. I need to get to know the first and second year hounds. I did have a great bonding session with one of the puppies, who is the son of one of my beloved retired hounds. Had a rough day a few weeks ago when I found out my absolute favorite hound was retiring. I had said I'd take him as a pet when he did, but he retired several years sooner than I expected and I still have his father who I am VERY happy to report is hale and hearty. Unfortunately that leaves no room for him currently. He will stay with the masters unless another home comes along.

The horse I ride sometimes isn't quite back in work enough to hunt yet, so I wheel whipped, little white truck instead of little white horse. That is always a mix of a bit dull and a bit terrifying and I hit 45 on a dirt road trying to get around part of the fixture. Did get to take the little white horse on a solo trail ride after the hunt where he decided there were a lot of bears in the woods (he is a whips horse). We sang a bunch of songs but he liked my sorority drinking song the best! (Mary Margaret Truman- any Pi Phis?).

Hope everyone had a great week and gets in a lot of riding. We are having warm and dry weather right now so great for riding!

I am fairly new to this thread and read it more than I post. I've had my leased horse at a dressage barn the past month and a half, but it's not working out as I'd like. (See the thread gone wrong in the dressage forum!)

I haven't been getting in as much riding due to getting two widsom teeth yanked on Friday. Grrrr.

It sounds like some folks here had a good weekend, though, showing and hunting!

Kick on!

Default Just have to gush.

Am really pinching myself. Just had our weekly lesson, and today we worked again in the field.

Bagavond is regularly cantering with no bucking, no bad behavior, and just a great mindset. He's asked to canter, and voila, it is one!! (And is supposedly lovely - trainer said, "OK, Madison Square Garden -er, I guess National Horse Show - is just around the corner!")

I know I've been repeating myself a bit lately, but after all we've been through this past year, including previous whacko BO and BT, and my trips towards the sky and back towards the ground, I wasn't sure we would ever really get there. I just keep smiling, and coming home on a cloud.

Very appreciative for our lovely new barn owner and our visiting trainer. Plus the nice weather lately, and whatever good vibe is being passed around for those of us who are getting somewhere. (Although sorry about your horse, iechris, and your issues MrsFitzDarcy )

But all I can say again today is "YAHOO!"
    (And if you're driving through Upstate New York near Rte 20, and ever notice some "older woman" kicking her heels and generally acting like she's gone off her rocker, that's me! )
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Whee! Can officially join this group as I have finally found a horse to lesson on and lease....I guess I'm a re-rider, does 5 years mostly out of the saddle count??

I'm just starting to love jumping again, so here's hoping for fun times ahead
    :-D. I lucked out and found a great trainer on the first try, and the horse I'm riding is such a confidence giver over fences. Flatwork is another story, but we're working on it!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    Dewey - love the pictures and you might as well jump 3' since your amazing mare is jumping that high anyway

Love it!!!!
    When my coach saw the second picture (IMO the best one), she said, "We're going to have to photoshop in some more rails."

iechris--Wow, sounds as if you're a hard-core hunter! I understood most of your post (my Pony Club days of learning hunting terminology are far behind me), and I certainly did get that you are enjoying your hunting! I love that you sang your sorority drinking song to your horse!

Mrs. FD--sorry things aren't working out at the dressage barn, and I'm very sorry about your teeth! Ow!

CVPeg--Woooo hooo! Great, great news!

Event4Life, of course you can join in! Welcome!

Quietann what did the vet say?

hi everyone!

Very happy I found this thread... it's going to take me a couple of weeks to read the 107 pages but I hope you guys aren't too far from the original topic. I plan on starting "re-riding" within the next month, after a break of almost 10 years. I've been missing it so much but baby, work and divorce issues made it difficult to find time/money for anything... I've always stayed in touch with the horse world though, attending shows as a spectators and going to say hi to friends' horses regularly, grooming and spending time with them. That I really couldn't live without.
    I'm doing much better, at least financially, so now is a good time to start riding again but I'm pretty anxious.... What if I don't remember how to ride??

note: oh and yeah, I do have a passion for saddles, thus the name. Even through my difficult years I couldn't part with mine. I just think they are fascinating pieces of leather work and I really like reading and learning about saddles and saddle fit. I can see I'm not the only saddle addict from all the threads here...

PassionforSaddles, we are not far from the original topic. We're all still re-riders, and we support each other. Welcome. It sounds as if you've been through some rough times as well as good ones, but getting back to the horses will help, I think.

Since you're interested in saddles, I'll share that I bought my current saddle in 1979 (used) and am still using it. Of course, it was in storage for about 20 years during that time, but I am sure it will outlive me.