The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 105 of 497 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155205 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,100 of 9940

Doublestable,

I have found that begaloil(sp) is my best friend when I am sore from riding. And my left hip for a long time and knees hurt a lot from previous injury (preriding days) and I found that it is the best stuff.

I would think that a nice vetriln soak in the bath would feel wonderful also...

also a messasge by a guy named sven
    Friend of bar .ka

Doublestable, as crazy as it might seem, get back in the saddle asap. As well as what Bumknees said.

Bumknees - I always want to spell it Beagleoil.
    And nothing bad happened!

DoubleS, it gets better the more you do!

I can experience significant hand, hip, and ankle pain while riding, and discovered that taking a naproxen beforehand really helps. As does stretching.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    DoubleS, it gets better the more you do!

I can experience significant hand, hip, and ankle pain while riding, and discovered that taking a naproxen beforehand really helps. As does stretching.
    YES! And get thee to a yoga or pilates class. It helps so much.
    Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

Quote Originally Posted by PaintedHunter View Post
    YES! And get thee to a yoga or pilates class. It helps so much.
    I need to do this.

Anyone else have a hip that when abducted seems to "pop!"? Mine doesn't make a sound, but it feels like a ligament is dragging over the joint and catching on the wrong side. Even if riding a particularly wide horse it feels in danger of slipping.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsFitzDarcy&Feliks View Post
    I need to do this.

Anyone else have a hip that when abducted seems to "pop!"? Mine doesn't make a sound, but it feels like a ligament is dragging over the joint and catching on the wrong side. Even if riding a particularly wide horse it feels in danger of slipping.

Yep yep yep. Stretching and yoga have helped me with this too.

Hi, all - well, NOW we are having rain - lots of it, and my guy loves it!! And the MUD! Need to schedule a LOT of extra time ahead of tacking up!

Bumknees - so glad you no longer need all those "T"s. And another thing - your sense of humor has fully recovered. Just went out this weekend to watch a friend of mine play in a band nearby. He had told me they'd be in my area. To be honest, the turnout was poor - and I'm not much of a partier. BUT he is an impressive guitar player (lead guitar), and talking to him during the break - I forgot - he had a stroke this year. But is back to work full time, let alone the band, too! You sound well on your way!

PH - so glad to hear your news!
    Dewey - very cool! I did IHSA eons ago, and really appreciated when you pulled a good steed.

doublestable - I'll give you my patent solution for aches. It has REALLY worked for me, but it's not easy. I've given up soda, coffee, and even tea. Initially gave up the soda because family members who drank a lot of it were getting serous illnesses. Then the coffee and tea when I was diagnosed with GERD - so I can't drink it. I began to feel better than I have in ages with the change, and now even better with regular riding. And I have a few extra pounds as well. Made a huge difference. Know it's not for everyone, but maybe try for a week?

A lot has happened in the past 10 days or so. We did the hunter pace clinic, but not the hunter pace. Bagavond wasn't exactly calm staying at a different place - especially without much turnout. He was a bit of a beast, but I stuck to him, our trainer really sorted us out, but he was eventually able to join the rest and try out all sorts of new stuff - up banks, down banks, through water. Stepping over a log. But icky at jumping. That's ok - we're still doing some basics.

He was kept out of the hunter pace itself since our trainer thought he had been through a lot, and wasn't yet in condition to go through that as well. I appreciate her being conservative, and I still got to be in the middle of things by being a check point, and meeting everyone. Loved the camaraderie!

The activity of joining the clinic has made an impact. B was very attentive this past week, perfect in the indoor. Fun in the paddock. And quiet going for a long walk on the road! Yay!

Today our trainer came out for a lesson, and we worked on my getting myself centered and sitting correctly - how much it affects everything - never thought I was before - it's tough being old! But then we cantered in the indoor - first the outside, then the clinic, now the indoor, which I've always felt is tougher on him since he doesn't have the room. No bucks! No scrambling! And we worked on it a LOT. More yay!

It may have taken a lonnng time, but we're getting there!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Well, I am staying put for a bit. I had a woman who rides a couple of the horses at the barn ask me if she could ride my baby. Gasp....someone who loves working with babies. I have not seen her ride him yet but we discussed the need to be positive with babies and let them come along at a slow pace. She has riden him all over the farm (60 acres). I have watched her ride other horses and she is a bit tough but I needed help. She also was very considerate about his back issue, she also needs the money, she is not really a trainer professionally, but right now that works for me and she enjoys him, even with his baby moments.

I went and looked at another barn and met the trainer in person but I never got that "I'll call you" call. I guess she was busy or not really wanting to ride a baby. So this situation is working at the moment.

I am so jealous of everyone else doing things with your horses, I feel lucky these days to ride for 15 minutes a couple of days a week. Patience is hard and whenever I dream about showing it is always with my older guy, he really is a special horse and his retirement is painfull for me.

The baby horse thing, is slow and everyone seems to think it is their business to tell you all about your horse. That is the one thing that makes me crazy, young horses are all different and they find their own way differently and training is two steps forward three steps back for much of the time. I am certainly not a trainer but I have watched many horses trained by several trainers through the years. I know enough to understand that it is a process, and those that spend all of their time with the ten year old and up horse won't understand. I find myself avoiding people who want to tell me all kinds of things....Sorry for the vent, long day no e-mail at work. I had to drive home for e-mail access and not let my clients know that the corporation I work for had very sporadic e-mail for 2 days but that everything was "just fine". How did we get anything done with out e-mail.....

SV, I hear you and can identify. Everyone does have an opinion, wonders why it isn't automatic, knows more than you do (well, of course some do - but even then you have to take some suggestions with a grain of salt if, for example, a heavy handed response isn't always the best answer for your horse). And they're looking for, perhaps, easy money, a quick turnaround, or simply an easy fix that they may feel they've contributed to.

And the guy I showed, 25 years ago, came to me green, but not this green, was as straightforward as they come, a willing jumper who never stopped at anything. So I think back to those days as well...

Glad you have the other gal who can put the time in. And you may not be able to do as much right now either. But hopefully the time will become available to you as he is picking things up, so it will be a win/win for the two of you.

CV thank you for the complement about the hummor.. Never thought I had much of one. but I guess I do.. I guess when one "faces death" as many times as I have you aquire one. But enough of that.

SV I m jelious of you..
    I have this beautiful OTTB sitting in a stall. 4yo doing nothing. I got him in dec. gave him the rest of the winter off. The Davey Jones died I figuered out his training scheduel. wote it all out. Stood up turned funny broke my foot.. Was off for 8 or so weeks.(becaise of the swelling and such). I have a 2week follow up after the boot comes off. The next day I have a stroke... I have yet to get on my own horse.. Other people have gotten on him. But I havent. So I envy those 15 minutes... Oh to have 15 mnutes on my horse would be heaven...

I do have a question for anyone who wants to answer. After my stroke Ilost a lot of weight. ( idont recomend it as diet) Like the day before I weighed 146 and the day after 115. And now 108... I need to gain weight. At least back up to 115 perfeby(sp) closer to 120. I am eating fatting food grantd not a lot but I was not a large eater to beging with ( I dont get hungery any more a side effect for surgery so I tell/force my self to eat). Ieat "a stick to your ribs" meat and potatoes meal every day and the weight just is not comming back. Any ideas? I am way way to thin and with winter comming I am going to freeze to death at 40f deg.
    Friend of bar .ka

Default I went on a hunt!

Just had the time of my life yesterday. Started a thread under Hunting, http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=370586.

Walking around with a big grin on my face today, let alone I was doing the same thing riding around the countryside yesterday.

Now, back to the real world...
    And feeling very guilty about having fun without my own horse!
    But it was wonderful!!

CV Peg: If I may ask, what club did you hunt with? You can PM me if you like. (Or blow me off -- I'll understand if you don't want to share! )

-- I'm good, Oliver's good. He did his first off-property show since he got here in March. His rider wasn't feeling well, but they had a pretty good day. I asked my trainer about the show, and she said 'Your horse is broke as hell!' Apparently, in addition to not blinking while having the trailer door slam over and over by his head where he was tied at the show, his rider got sick while mounted and his response was just to look at her. (While my trainer kept screaming, 'DON'T PUKE ON YOUR WHITE HORSE!!')

-- Since it's now cooler down here, I'm taking him off of One AC until next spring, and have replaced it with Grand Hoof in his SmartPaks. His hooves aren't bad, per se, but they are TB hooves and could use some help.

-- I've bought him his first bell boots, and he then proceded to lose his first bell boot. Funny how all the things I've read about online with owning a horse are coming true for me as well.

-- I should be back in the saddle in another week or two. It's finally starting to feel like a true fall down here and not just 'lesser summer,' as I refer to it, and it's just about perfect now for riding.

-- Hope you're all doing well!

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    I feel like a total wimp. The other evening I had to lay in bed due to my hip pain being so bad.

Riding has always been fun and still is fun but it never hurt much or my younger brain didn't over think everything as I find myself doing as an adult.
    My hips did that for about a week or two when I first started (re)riding a couple of years ago. I just popped advil and/or tylenol for the pain and tried to remember to stretch before and after my lessons. It didn't help that I was riding an especially wide -- and BOUNCY -- appaloosa.

It hurt like heck, but it got much better after a little while.
    The dude abides ...

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    Just had the time of my life yesterday. Started a thread under Hunting, http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=370586.

Walking around with a big grin on my face today, let alone I was doing the same thing riding around the countryside yesterday.

Now, back to the real world...
    And feeling very guilty about having fun without my own horse!
    But it was wonderful!!
    It's wonderful that you had such a good time, Peg. I enjoyed your post very much. How wonderful that you had such a blast!

I haven't hunted since I was a teen, and a hunt invited some of us Pony Clubbers along as guests. The first time I went was great, the second time not so much because the hounds actually made a kill, and I was blooded. I was totally grossed out but as a teen didn't know how to decline. I would like to go again now as a grown up...but I'd like to avoid the kill.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Sky has been coming along like a house on fire on the flat. I have taught her shoulder-in, lengthenings (she has gorgeous ones), and counter canter.

The trouble is that when she learns a new trick, that's all she wants to do. For example, after I taught her counter canter, she didn't want to pick up the correct lead. After she learned lengthenings, she wouldn't pick up the canter in the jumping ring, but strutted around doing the extended trot. Then when I slow her down and correct her, she gets pissy.

I talked to my coach about this, and her feeling is that I am going too fast with her. She learns quickly, but she needs time to absorb what she learns before moving onto the next thing. That made sense to me.

We have a show coming up at our barn on the 20th. I have vowed: no more counter canter or extended trot till after the show! She is going to do the 2' schooling division; I'm very excited.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    Sky has been coming along like a house on fire on the flat. I have taught her shoulder-in, lengthenings (she has gorgeous ones), and counter canter.

The trouble is that when she learns a new trick, that's all she wants to do. For example, after I taught her counter canter, she didn't want to pick up the correct lead. After she learned lengthenings, she wouldn't pick up the canter in the jumping ring, but strutted around doing the extended trot. Then when I slow her down and correct her, she gets pissy.

I talked to my coach about this, and her feeling is that I am going too fast with her. She learns quickly, but she needs time to absorb what she learns before moving onto the next thing. That made sense to me.

We have a show coming up at our barn on the 20th. I have vowed: no more counter canter or extended trot till after the show! She is going to do the 2' schooling division; I'm very excited.
    It sounds like she's smart and really wants to please! my old gelding was like that when he learned something knew - like when he learned leg yielding, he thought every time I applied my leg, he was supposed to do it. He was confused and pissed at the corrections, because he really thought he was doing it right! I'm sure you'll have her realizing the drill in no time.

As for me, Ollie was a dream for me this week. Raised the jumps three inches, and wouldn't you know it- we suddenly got perfect spots and he was happier and easier with me. I think he's tired of my baby jumps and wants to move up to 2'6" and higher. He still needs to learn his lead changes though - he auto changes 90% of the time, but I need to get him going on command for that other 10%. He'll counter-canter really balanced though!

So things at work are extremely busy and my OTTB is actually getting riden, wow I cannot complain about that. The woman riding him is so excited that she is buying a new jumping saddle now that she has a horse to jump. I have never seen her so excited, I think it must be really hard to know what you want to do in life and never seem to get the opportunity to do it professionally. There are fewer trainers that enjoy bringing babies along and the joy I see in this woman's face has once again taught me more about the differences in trainers. Her positive attitude must be why she can take him all over the ranch with confidence. This is clearly something I am not capable of doing.

CVPeg-So glad you are enjoying hunting. My older guy loves it and I have riden in just a couple with him on guest days. I am not terribly fond of hunting, my previous baby trainer is the hunt trainer and there is always a lot of pressure to hunt with my friend and her hubby. It is great and another woman at work took up riding english just so she could join the hunt.

Dewey-I love it when horses find a new movement to work on. So glad that you are enjoying your rides. Good luck at the show next weekend.

Bumknees-hope you get to ride soon sorry about the weight loss. I have heard of actresses gaining weight by indulging in milkshakes, they have a lot of calories.

Well, it is the weekend, I have both children home since my son is recovering from a concussion from ice hockey. Mr Stolen is gone for the weekend since he is the only coach available for the 2 games scheduled out of town. So we will watch movies and eat apple crisp ! Have a lovely weekend everyone.

Had my first big jumping scare with the golden mare in this morning's lesson. Assignment: huge figure-8 with trot poles and an 18 inch cross-rail on each diagonal. Trot down, pop over the fence, canter a circle (switching leads if needed), go back to trot, do the other one, etc. Mare was great with the crossrail followed by left lead canter, but for the right lead one, she was drifting to the left before the jump and rarely getting her right lead on landing.

I switched my whip to the left hand, which helped some, but the trainer put down a couple of rails perpendicular to the jump on the left side, to direct her toward the center. We came down, the rails surprised her, she acted like she was going to run out to the right, but as we reached the fence, she twisted and leaped sideways to the left as she jumped, knocking over the left standard and scattering poles behind her... She spun and stopped. I did not come off, she was not hurt, but she was more than a bit rattled.

After that... the left jump standard was going to bite her. She was 100% sure of it and stopped 3 times in a row. Meanwhile, the jump in the other direction was still going great. Trainer turned the problematic jump into trot poles, and we did those until she trotted over them calmly, and called it a day.

Poor pony! She really does try hard, but she's sensitive, and she's one of those horses who needs some time to process things after a bad experience. Hopefully we'll be back to normal for next week's lessons.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Hiya folks! It's been a while

I've tried to read through everyone's updates and see some new faces on here. I feel like I'm starting to get over the hump of being a "re-rider" and just being a... rider! (again)
    I've ridden my lease horse religiously every day off I can all summer and we finally did our first "big" show this past weekend. It was still an unrated schooling show, but it was at the glorious showgrounds at Wellington, so that was something special. It was my first 2-day show as well, and my horse's first show over fences (ever). I ended up doing the 2' adult eq and hunters. I can and have been schooling over 2'3"-2'6" and even 2'9" over the summer, but my nerves got the best of me and I was having trouble. I fell off a few times this summer, and I had a lot of lessons focused on trying to get my distances. They seemed to elude me completely before I finally started to get it. I took a few lessons with an older, more experienced eq trainer and got a few great pointers AND I finally am learning how to keep my base secure and give enough release without laying on the neck. My horse has his lead changes 100% now and he's learning how to go more uphill and use himself.

The whole show experience was overwhelming but FUN! There were so many nice horses there. Our horses looked soooo good all braided up! I felt sooo nervous the first day and forgot to eat/drink enough so I was dead tired by the time I ended. Luckily we got to school the day before as well as the morning of, so I felt confident in my courses.
    My divisions were also one of the biggest in the show...13 in each class!

I got robbed on the flat in the eq, as there was another adult eq flat class going on in the ring next to us and the announcer for THAT ring accidentally came on our speaker at the end of the class asking for a sitting trot. It then switched back to the other ring...but I was the only one trotting from the walk a few steps before stopping. What a bummer. No ribbon It was a huge blow to my esteem as I really thought I was solid. It took me a while to get over that one and realize it really didn't have anything to do with my riding. But it's such a huge bummer!

Our over fences classes went GREAT. I got all my distances. I forgot to look up enough and I think I need to work on a few more things, but I got a 4th and 5th in my classes out of 13! Not too shabby.

The next day was hunter day. My horse didn't place on the flat, which wasn't unexpected given some of the horses there. There were some really nice ones. My horse is used to going around with more contact than most of the hunters, so it was challenging to get him to go like a hunter. Still, it was a solid effort. Over fences also went GREAT! I was last to go in the 1st round and some of the top horses had errors in their rounds. Wrong leads, chips, etc. I put in a solid round and got FIRST! Out of 13!!! I was shocked!!!! My second round wasn't as great with one or two tight spots and one cross-canter moment, so we didn't place, but I was still very happy with the effort.

Pictures!!!
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ps83906b2a.jpg
    Here are some online: please tell me which ones you like the best? I have some great ones at home of us too.

http://kfamphoto.photoreflect.com/st...8&g=1YB7001803

These are the previews from the professional photographer. I'm on page 3 starting at picture #88. If you don't mind chiming in and letting me know which ones you like the best, I'd really appreciate it! I'm partial to #89, 90, and 91. I wish he wasn't hanging his knee in some and I wish I wasn't jumping ahead in 93, but he wasn't that impressed with the size of the jumps and he was tired.

So what's next? More shows probably, and maybe the 2'3" division depending on how the next show and schooling at home goes. I'm also shopping for a horse somewhat seriously, but I have limited budget and I need something bigger that I can really wrap my leg around. Gelding, pretty, 16.1 minimum, younger, and solid-colored. I'm taking my time looking for a horse and excited to have this guy in the meantime to grow with!
    If you made it this far, thanks for reading

Congrats, Pancakes, on a terrific show experience, and it's great to have you back! Wow! Sounds as if you did really well!!

(I like picture #89)

Congrats, Pancakes! I agree with Dewey -- I like no. 89.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson