The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 104 of 326 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154204 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,080 of 6518

Hi, Folks,

I'm cautiously saying that Mr. Rehab will be renamed Mr. All Better. He is sound trotting corners both directions!

However, he is not yet Mr. Back-to-Normal. Yesterday's ride was a disaster. He felt good, and had too much energy. He spooked and jumped when the maintenance guy came by, and when another farm worker started the tractor. Both spooks hurt my back some, and I interrupted my trainer's IHSA lesson to ask him to walk us back to the barn.

Today he started out nervous, but I went out with a lesson group and stayed in the ring for the whole lesson. We just walked and trotted with the group, and moved to another part of the ring when they started jumping. That seemed to work ok. He settled down, and had a good hour of walk/trot/halt/back/scritch/hug/cookie time. Current plan is to keep riding him for a whole lesson for each ride, and my trainer said she could sit on him, and teach a lesson at the same time, while occasionally trotting around.

There are still obstacles to overcome. We have to get him on normal turnout. He still gets round pen only. We have to see if he can canter and jump soundly and quietly. He will definitely be on full training board for October so the barn staff can deal with any problems. Maybe we are nearing the end of this journey.

Now that I've said all this, just wait. He's probably hanging out in his stall right now, planning his next surprise.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Sounds like good news so far, pony4me!

And I hear you about wondering what they will cook up next. I got to the barn today, all excited to ride my horse for the first time since his cryo in July, only to find that he has some weird knot on his right, hind cannon bone. He is weight bearing on the leg, and there is no heat, but his movement is definitely off, and the area seems tender to pressure.

The sarcoids did not freak me out too, too badly, because they did not affect his movement and they weren't career threatening. Anything with legs scares the hell out of me.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

AAHunter and I managed to ride SIX days this past week! I'm a bit worn out at this point!!

Our lesson Thursday was great, we have two of the most serious college students with us and we ride out with them some during the week too. Unfortunately, I had one of those lessons where I couldn't quite get it all together, so spent the second half watching as it just wasn't my day to jump. I love being in lessons with more advanced riders as I can always learn by watching what they do, both right and wrong. Both college girls are strong riders and our A/O rider has an incredible leg.

Friday we had a quiet ride as everyone, horses included, were a bit tired. We walked down to the field and I just walked around but... I did the whole 40 minute ride without my stirrups! I'm getting stronger. Yesterday I worked on trying to pick one rein length and the just ride quietly instead of fiddling and changing up everything all the time. I swear I'm going to end up buying rainbow reins one of these years!

iechris - don't knock the granimal reins - they taught me to feel when my hands are even. Speaking of which, think I need to get em out again........
    And nothing bad happened!

I have to admit I am bit jelious(sp?) of you all... even P4M with mr on and maybe today but well think about it..

Yesterday I had what I concider a set back.. I had a(not horse related)VFW disirct meeting and had to do my officer obligation for the year (a istallitaion) and I had a "brain freeze" and stumbled and needed help to get through it. It was as though I had not ever taken it before. I had thaken it for the last 4 yrs so it was not as though I have not taken it before, I felt so dumb up there. Like "what amI doing am I doing up there I sould just sit down and say just select someone else, Im sorry I cant do this." But Igot thrgh it eventully with help. and I eventally stoped crying. I just dont cry in front of other people. It only took one klenex to stop crying. Every one eles took their obligation when I was in the hospital unable to talk etc... So seveal month ago. So I was the only on up there soiffelt like I was giveing a talk to a large group witch I dont do.. Me doing that normally leads to the first couple of rows would be best of the wear a tarp or rain gear... I dont do public speaking...

So Im glad P4M that Mr. Rehab can I say is doing better excep he is spooking at every thing... Then is nervious the next day. Sunds like eis on his wy back, keep it up! (im not really "mad" at you just wishing my problem had happned to someone else).

iechris I used rainbow reins a long time ago when I ventured into eventing. I was so used to doing the crest andthe auto relase. I had to learn the Ill call it "toss it away but get it back quickly" reease. Well that what it loooks like but it isnt. Had to go from like the yellow to the blue and back to yellow quickly. Those may not have not been the colors but you get the hint.

The season is changing here I dont kow what im going to do. I get cold when temps go below 75f deg. So whem it isnt to hit above 60 all week Im going to hibernat(sp)... Im not look foward to the months that bring the white stuff...maybe I can convince dh fla for the cold months.. not likely. Not at least ive made it though the chairs at the district in the lavfw.. Anyone will a spell that I can put on my county to stay warm for the mths of Aug-May?
    Friend of bar .ka

Bumknees - hope your drive with DH and back by yourself went just fine!

I am off work this week, and next, etc. (long depressing story) so I went to ride today. Enough with the rain already! For the first time, the arena had puddles - horse eating puddles.

I rode Thou Shalt Not Bang Me in the Mouth at the walk for a straight 40 minutes. On purpose. The purpose was to check my alignment as it were and work on keeping my hips straight. Harder than I thought, especially going right, but it did get better. Nothing like trying to ride a circular circle when the pony is dodging a puddle......

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Fifty was tough but I don't want to quit riding, maybe getting a OTTB four year old wasn't the best idea but it beats joining the trail riding only set

So, I'm moving the baby AGAIN ! I need help and I cannot take him back to the valley with my trainer he hated the facility.
    Think it's the best age for an OTTB - ahead of you by 8 years, and not ready for rocking my chair on only the trails yet either...

Sorry for the move again, SV, and the road rash! It does make life so much easier without that worry in the back of your mind, and when you can just enjoy being at the barn.

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    I'm cautiously saying that Mr. Rehab will be renamed Mr. All Better. He is sound trotting corners both directions!

Now that I've said all this, just wait. He's probably hanging out in his stall right now, planning his next surprise.
    Yikes - sorry you have a new man! This sounds like B last fall. He hadn't been regularly ridden in awhile- no serious ailments, just stiffness, and once I worked him out of it, it was 'hang on to your hat!' as you well know. That, plus the fact that his canter has never been properly developed or figured out in the indoor, we've done LOTS of the walk/halt/walk/trot, but finally the goal is in sight! (Never thought we'd get there...) Hope he gets turnout soon - has made such a difference. It's always a balancing act, isn't it?!?

Quote Originally Posted by TarheelJD View Post
    he has some weird knot on his right, hind cannon bone.
    Crap, Tarheel, if it's not one thing, it's another! Hope this is just a minor issue. Darn!

Big excitement. Going to the hunter pace clinic weekend - leaving tonight!! (but it is close by, so not trailering far...). Have had a couple more lessons with visiting trainer - in the fields - and we are getting somewhere! Bagavond can still have his moments. The day after our good day with the trainer last week, I took him out alone, and he started pulling his stuff - I tried correcting him severely and it was apparent we were going to be in a power contest. Upon reflection I felt we hadn't done enough work in the indoor before going out. Not that it wears him down! (following lesson we trotted a half hour waiting our turn! ) But working in the indoor seems to set the tone for who's in charge before setting outside.

And lesson earlier this week, we "let him" break into a canter in the field, without specifically asking for it - which seems to get him in a tizzy - and it was lovely!! I finally got to canter without numerous bucks thrown in the middle. I learned my horse has a lovely canter!! I am SO psyched!

Just running late this a.m. as all the work I need to do at home (friend hopefully attending and staying at my place - must clean!!) was delayed as my 97 yo mother was taken to the ER yesterday with a melt down - she has them when she gets UTIs, and then sits there like a queen with everyone providing all the attention (had just visited 2 days before...plus extra visits from other sibs.) When I got home last night there were more calls and she was being difficult and I had to call. She is also reliving my father's passing over 20 years ago - and carries on so - when all they ever did was argue! So torn as I've been waiting so long for something like this to attend, and over a year to get to the point I can do something with him. Mom is in a gorgeous facility, and she seems more demanding when we've been to see her more often - so crossing fingers that nothing pops up in the next few days...

Bumknees - thinking of you and hoping your trip was ok and that you are back and did it!! Here's to you and thank you for giving all of us the encouragement by your example.

My weekend is beginning now with final preps at the barn today. Hope everyone's goes smoothly. Look out for those "feelin' good" fall rides!!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

"And lesson earlier this week, we "let him" break into a canter in the field, without specifically asking for it - which seems to get him in a tizzy - and it was lovely!! I finally got to canter without numerous bucks thrown in the middle. I learned my horse has a lovely canter!! I am SO psyched!"

CVPeg - I know exactly how that feels. At the hunter pace we all went to earlier this year, we were trotting along and all of a sudden we were cantering! And it was indeed lovely!

So jealous of the hunter pace talk! I would have liked to have done one this year, but it was not to be with work and Tajars sarcoids putting him out of commission. I'll just have to plan for next year.

I can't believe we are half way through September, and soon the blankets will be coming out. And we'll all moan here on the board about ridng in teh cold!

Tajar's lump on the front of his cannon bone is the result of the cut he sufferred back in June. It looked like it had healed really well, but the injury affected the membrane that covers the bone, and he has a small spot of infection in there, even though teh laceration has healed well and is fully closed up. The knot/lump is swelling. It is interesting to see on the radiographs - I wish I could figure out how to post them here. Anyway, he is on antibiotics, and the leg needs to be cod hosed and rubbed with DMSO 3 times a week for the next two weeks, and he'll have quilts and polos for the next couple of weeks as well. The good news is, it already looks a lot better. He is on a regular schedule re: turnout, etc., and the vet said he can be ridden, so I'll finally get to ride him again this Saturday.

His chiropractor came yesterday, so I am sure he is a happy camper. He loves the chiropractor!

bumknees - hope the drive went well.

Hope the group's road rash and broken bones are healing well!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Hope everybody had a good weekend!

I have a potentially silly question: How do you adjust your foot in the irons so the the outside is farther forward than the inside? I have "old lady" stirrups (offset eye) so they are easier for me to pick up, but I can't get the slant correct.

Suggestions?

Hi everyone! I wanted to give a quick update on my gelding that I gave away...he is doing EXCELLENT at his new home. I think he wanted a new job. She's been taking him cross country schooling, and the trainer said that he is going around super happily and confidently, and at higher heights than he's ever jumped before. I think he found his calling, and let me tell you- it thrills me to no end to see him succeed. Brings me to tears, actually.

Wonderful news, PH! You made the right decision.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

That's wonderful, PH!

That's great news, PH. There's a horse for every rider, and a rider for every horse. The hard part is getting them matched up correctly.

Glad everyone seems to be trending the correct way. Up, better, improving.
    Us too! Mr. All Better has settled down, and is no longer spooking at everything. He's still sound both directions, so the spooks and jumps didn't hurt anything. We're still putting off the next vet check until at least the end of October. We are cautiously optimistic that he'll be cleared for a bit of cantering at that time.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Bumknees how are you doing?

Im doing fine. I "graduated" from OT, PT, and ST this week so thats good.

I went to an eye Dr. this week.. it no wonder I couldnt see well my 5+yrold glasses are well so out of rx it is amazing I could see at all. And I go back in two weeks for a test of somesorts for my peferal(sp)vision whitch has been wacky for 21yrs since my surgery. But he thinks it may have been messed with more by the stroke. We shall see.

As far s DH an the drives go the one that would have been comming up Dh found someone who moved up here for a job. The guy is in his unit so Tg for that I dont have to drive in the dark. But the guy doest have a dw so there isnt someone I can hitch with then bury my nose in a book with my ipod in my ears.. And essintally ignore the person for 4 1/2 hrs.

My dog(Pig) somehow got a infection in his right hind. So I am treating it with good ol icthathol and gauze.. He is not a happy camper. luckly his temperment is such that he may bear teeth but that is as far as it will go.He luvs his mommy(me).. Dh didnt listen to me fisrt time I/we put it on and did not tape it directly to fur. So of course it came off.. /so the next time he listen to me and well its still there. Its gooy and smells nasty but the icthamol is doing its job.. TG I rememberd what my vet tolded me long ago about that stuff or I wouldnt have had it in my trunk collecting dust...in a corner. under some stuff that I havent used in a long time.

PH thats excellent news

P4M MR. All Better Now well continue to cross fingers that he keeps going on being better...

tarheel I hope tarjar's (sp) leg is doing well sounds like it was a nasty ifection or could have been rather. I hate the smell of DMSO when done though an IV I assume thats how it was/is done.. But it has to be done I guess. I have a question though.. do they keep the pourt in unit the treatment are done or is a new stick done ever time?
    Friend of bar .ka

Just got back from an IHSA show at our barn...I announced and warmed up horses. Sky was in two classes, and one of her riders won her class! So I was very proud of my girl.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Bumknees - so glad you did not have to make the drive! Regarding the DMSO, right now it is just topical, with some linament. Leave it on for a while, then cold hose. I think it stimulates the blood flow, which makes the oral antibiotic more effective, but I am not sure. It has definitely improved, which is great, but the swelling has not gone completely down. I am trying to be patient. But he is not punchy or off at all, and we had a good lesson today. Just W/T/C, to get us back into practice.

Awesome news on the gelding PaintedHunter, and congrats to Sky on her IHSA win!

My barn is headed too a hunter pace on Saturday. I wish I could go, but Tajar and I are both too rusty. Last weekend was the first time I rode him since mid-July. I am out of practice, and he is out of shape!

The puppy is wearing us out, but she is adorable.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

I am so glad to hear that things are looking up for all - yes, especially you Bumknees. Glad you didn't have to make the drive and new glasses should help a bunch.

I actually got to lesson on my horse today - no rain, no bruises (human) or anything else to deter. It was a good lesson, but I need to get my granimal reins back out and put them on - question heard many, many, many times today: Are your reins even? Um, that would be a no, right?

Still having issues trotting right, particularly on the bouncy tb boy - we bulge still. But, hear the trainer say, "fix your diagonal" and I can bounce twice and keep going sideways!

But, am cleared to ride him at will and work on the following: keeping elbows back; keeping reins even, don't be duck footed, relax and stop over thinking. Piece of cake, right?

Any advice to tell my old body to keep going?

I have been riding some older school horses and it's starting to take a toll on the body. I am so extremely grateful for being able to ride other horses but my body is starting to object.

I feel like a total wimp. The other evening I had to lay in bed due to my hip pain being so bad.

Riding has always been fun and still is fun but it never hurt much or my younger brain didn't over think everything as I find myself doing as an adult.

As always thank you for listening.

Edited out too much whining.. LOL
    Last edited by doublesstable; Oct. 2, 2012 at 12:09 AM.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!