The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 176 of 334 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178186226276 ... LastLast
Results 3,501 to 3,520 of 6674

Duplicate

Duplicate - seriously, this computer hates me

Tiger Horse: Just do it! I have forgotten jump courses (with just 8 fences!) and at a small show, nobody minds. Sometimes they will even let you start again

Paradox: I love her expression, she is so alert!

Rode Milly down the farm driveway to the gate and back on Saturday...turns out that is the first time she'd ever gone there. She was very...aware of her surroundings, and I decided not to go on the trail ride with the others because a) not my horse and didn't have permission and b) I wasn't sure if she'd do very well. She might never be happy on a trail, but at least I now know I can mount her off the side of the bobcat bucket

Thanks for the encouragement - as I've said before - you guys ROCK! Not sure about a reader yet - I have a call into the venue. It is a small schooling show, so we'll see.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

If its a small schooling show they should allow a reader. As someone else said, if they're ahead of schedule they will often let you have a "do over" - not to count, but its great for practice and confidence building! Ours were so well run they often were ahead of schedule, which was awesome! Don't worry though they'll never pressure you to jump before you are ready if they're early. I really loved the VHT schooling CTs and wish there was something like that in my current neck of the woods. The atmosphere was incredibly supportive, volunteers were awesome, and people who ran the show fantastic. One lady even lent my fellow barn mate a bridle when she left hers at home! WHOOPS!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

WHINE ALERT!!

Effing Alpaca Death Squad!! I got the Amazon out and we groomed in the barn - she was just perfect, back to her old self, seemingly. Then decided to take her out for a graze around the yard. She spooked at EVERYTHING! And I mean she was just losing it. I'm so sad, so mad, so frustrated...it's only been a few days so I'm sure in time she'll settle down eventually but when 17hh of gi-normous is wigging out on you over air, leaves, grass, a cat sitting near the truck, wind, etc....you get the picture.

Well, I just freaking hate herds of alpacas. The End. Going to take DD to Girl Scouts and then drink wine. Lots of it. Out of a real damn bottle! Let the pity party commence...

Here is new horse in his new house, having gotten the instagram treatment from my better half:

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...22814574_n.jpg

We haven't perfected the art of standing still, so there are a whole lot of pictures of horse-shaped blurs...

Finzean- I'm sorry that your girl still isn't over her near death expierence! I hope she starts to feel better soon. Good luck with DD and her new found love of XC, It is a thrill

Soloudinhere- He is adorable!!

Paradox- She is stunning, good luck with her

Tiger horse- You will have a blast either way!! I can never remember anything, I have the worst memory ever!!

He IS super cute.

We are still feeling each other out, but he is a pretty nifty dude. Depending on what time the farrier wants to come tomorrow, I am going to hop on.

Hello I want to give you an update regarding my lessons at the new barn. I've had 3 lessons so far and my trainer is awesome! I've been on the lunge line and working on getting my seat back and doing the 2 point. I get the horse and tack up and if time before the lesson I get on and walk her around. On Tuesday nights I am her only lesson for the night so she comes and gives me a lesson then goes home! A very positive and upbeat lady with lots of encouragement. Wow can't believe it! It is coming back to me pretty fast!

1 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by zacdos View Post
    Hello I want to give you an update regarding my lessons at the new barn. I've had 3 lessons so far and my trainer is awesome! I've been on the lunge line and working on getting my seat back and doing the 2 point. I get the horse and tack up and if time before the lesson I get on and walk her around. On Tuesday nights I am her only lesson for the night so she comes and gives me a lesson then goes home! A very positive and upbeat lady with lots of encouragement. Wow can't believe it! It is coming back to me pretty fast!
    YAY Zacdos! Doesn't it feel good to be working with an instructor you "click" with?? I LOVE my new trainer - I have learned more from her in 4 lessons than I have from the past 3 or so people I've ridden with put together (I've moved a lot!).
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Zacdos - yay for good lessons and great trainers! Nothing is better than a trainer you mesh with. I never realized how important that relationship was until I got with the trainers (jump and dressage) I am with now. They are helping both me and my horse soooo much!

soloudinhere - Adorable! More pics please!

Tiger Horse - good luck! Small schooling shows are usually pretty supportive. Just call ahead with questions! I've found the horse community to be pretty helpful and supportive at the lower levels

Finzean - I completely understand your frustration. I still maintain alpacas are really aliens. At least, they sound like them anyways.

I had a frustrating weekend. Took my gelding over to a local schooling show. It was held at a riding school that is connected to our boarding facility by a trail. Well, first - the riding school revamped their show so that it is much less friendly towards "outside" riders. They aren't using actual judges anymore and having their own instructors "judge" the classes. Only students can accumulate points towards year end awards.

Anyways. Trail rode over with a friend who wanted to school her horse in one or two contesting classes. Toby acted like an idiot the entire way. Anything and everything was going to kill him. This isn't totally unusual for him, but typically he settles as he figures out that yes, he's okay, he's with a calm friend, etc. Nope, this time he was jittery the whole way. We get the show and he gets MORE ramped up. I was doing my best to be calm for him and go through exercises and transitions to get his attention on me. We went in and first course (18" equitation over fences) and he was perfect. Ended up with 2nd. We did gambler's choice and he got rushy and began ignoring my aids. We did the same classes for 2ft and he got worse and worse ending with a runout and me coming off over his shoulder. Oh, and you'd think he'd be tired after all that? Nope, jigged all the way home too (and before anyone flames me/jumps on me, he got about a hour break between the trail ride TO the show and his jump classes and a three hour break between his classes and the trail ride home. Had lots of offers of water and plenty of time to graze).

I feel like all the work we've done on courses, putting fences together just went out the window in one day. We do so much better at home, then go to a show and it all falls apart. So frustrated!

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post
    WHINE ALERT!!

Effing Alpaca Death Squad!! I got the Amazon out and we groomed in the barn - she was just perfect, back to her old self, seemingly. Then decided to take her out for a graze around the yard. She spooked at EVERYTHING! And I mean she was just losing it. I'm so sad, so mad, so frustrated...it's only been a few days so I'm sure in time she'll settle down eventually but when 17hh of gi-normous is wigging out on you over air, leaves, grass, a cat sitting near the truck, wind, etc....you get the picture.

Well, I just freaking hate herds of alpacas. The End. Going to take DD to Girl Scouts and then drink wine. Lots of it. Out of a real damn bottle! Let the pity party commence...
    I am just reading your ADS story. So funny - for me since I was not involved. I can't think of any horse I know who would react well to seeing a pack of alpacas!

I am really, really done with this crappy "spring" we are having. I would give anything for a day of 70 and sunny. I've got indoor arena overdose going on and not even doing patterns can cure it!

Again, many thanks for all of the encouragement, I so appreciate it!

So loud - he is quite handsome! Hope you get your ride in, so exciting, so happy for you!

Dreamin - congrats on the 2nd! Sorry the rest went downhill - hope you are OK, I know all about those tumbles over the shoulder, they seem to happen in slow motion. My guy gets pretty worked up over the course of my lessons, so I know how you feel.

Zacdos - congrats on finding the right trainer for you - enjoy!

Finzean - sorry to hear about the Amazon. Not sure how you'd feel about giving her a little chemical help to get her over the hump. I think some of the pastes are pretty effective, might be worth a try?

Twelvebelles, I hear you!
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Dreamin- I feel you. My older guy is very much like that and it is so frustrating to think all is going great and then Wham they decide everything is going to kill them. I don't think anyone here will flame you, what can you do? Just try to get him off property more and hope he keeps his brain . I finally just resigned to the fact that my old man will never be that nice quiet boy who I can take on relaxing trail rides. But he was awesome in the show ring, just not anywhere else

Zacdos- So glad to hear you found a great match!! Happy riding

Soloudinhere- Have a great ride on your boy!!!

Dreamin' - I love a show I can hack to, but I'm not sure I'd leave home again for that...not and take it seriously. Course in my current situation, I'd probably be sued for bringing in the chaos!! LOL

Tiger - at this point, we both need a little pharmaceutical help!! LOL I am NOT opposed to it. I feel really bad for her b/c I don't think this is her first rodeo in losing her mind over something legitimately spooky. There was apparently an incident with Duke Power lineman up some trees with their giant bucket truck thingy - happened prior to her coming to me (last summer). This is going to be an interesting experience for sure...

MillysGirl, I don't blame you about not doing the trail ride. Maybe you can get permission next time and find a steady eddy to go out with and try it. But you're right, some are just not cut out for trails.

Finzean, I really feel for you. How frustrating to have your horse come undone like that through no fault of your own. I sure hope she can settle down soon and be the horse you had prior to the ADS. I don't envy you dealing with a spooky horse on a lead. Hopefully she's just blowing off steam and will settle down. My figers are crossed!! How are the other two?

soloud, awww. So cute! Standing still will come. Takes practice.

zacdos, I'm happy you found a good place to learn with a nice trailer. Awesome. Keep us posted.

dreamin, first off, how crappy that your local show is not discouraging outsiders. You would think they'd encourage them as much as possible, to make more money and more competition and just a better show! And sorry about Toby's attitude. Was this the first time this year that you've taken him to the showgrounds? Maybe it was just spring sillys? And, no, no flaming here on this thread. We go to the board at large to get flamed! Don't stress too much about one bad day. I don't think you lost all you've gained at home. Keep at it!

twelvebelles, sorry for your long winter. I hate to admit, we've been having sunny and 70º this week. Very pretty for riding. But in the summer you will hear me cussin' the heat!!

Classy, how are you doing with your three?? Any news on the possible sales front?
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

P.S. if anyone is offended by my name shortening, let me know. I'm just a lazy typer.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Paradox, anyone who's offended by the name-shortening is going to waste a lot of energy in being offended. A lot of us do it, including yours truly.

I love your pictures (and soloud's,too). Keep 'em coming!

Finzean, please be careful. I think that a little ace might be just the ticket for a bit. This is the kind of situation it's for, IMO.

Dreamin', no one here would ever get on your case. I used to ride for hours to and from local events and PC rallies. My family didn't own a trailer. We all did it, and no one thought anything of it. I'm sorry you had a frustrating show. For what it is worth, my last one was kind of frustrating, too. I wonder often if Sky will ever relax enough to perform well at an away show. It is still a big question mark. Hope you're feeling better. Have a beer.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

1 members found this post helpful.

Another picture from yesterday.

He was a good boy. We only walked and did a little bit of trot because he was putting on a very convincing show of being terrified of the horse eating indoor. I personally think that was his idea of being fresh because as soon as I said, knock it off and get to work, he did and put in some really nice work.

Admittedly our indoor has some crazy features like glass doors and chandeliers so I sort of understand his trepidation. He'll get ridden in there again today now that it's not 35 degrees!!!

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ps838e9f50.jpg