The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 169 of 325 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171179219269 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,380 of 6491

Paradox - I feel the same, have fun in Ohio!

Dewey - there's nothing I can tell you that someone else hasn't said, it sucks and I wish we could change it. Hugs!

Event4Life - Awesome! I hope I find this feeling soon too.

Ruby - I want to see pics of Leif the forward fjord! (try saying that 3 times fast )

Bumknees, what a drag. Hope the car doesn't require major repairs. I know you were looking forward to your lesson, and we were looking forward to hearing about it.

Thanks so much, everyone, for your kind thoughts and excellent advice for dealing with the impending loss of my darling little QH. I am so so sad, but your points are all valid. Finzean, you are right: my little guy has excellent skills that will help to ensure that he is treated well. And you are right that I can take most of the credit for that--although it's hard to feel good about something that contributed to his going away. Still, I wouldn't change a thing. Deep down, I am glad he turned out to be such a nice horse, and I'm proud of him. You're right, Event4Life, that he will probably have a good new life and maybe even an owner who will love him as much as I do. I sure hope so. He's a doll, and he deserves it. And Paradox, I have considered asking the new owner if I can occasionally hear about him. That would take a little of the sting out of it. *wipes tears* I'm such a baby. He's not even gone yet, and I am falling apart.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

It has been a while since I have posted. We have had horrible weather and riding even with an indoor was miserable. BUT we had spring today and I had an awesome lesson! I know we are going back to the basics but it is so nice that Marrakesch just goes and deals with my mistakes and goes on.
    I am having a real issue keeping continual contact. I always seem to drop the outside contact! We are getting better..
    I have missed a lot with this thread, we have been so busy at work and I have been doing overtime.
    I hope everyone is doing well and moving forward and most of all having fun! I know I am.....
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Wow, lots going on. Thanks, everyone, for sharing your horse world with us. Dewey and Bumknees seem to be in the dumps, so sending good vibes to them.

We seem to have a handle on my horse's breathing problems. He's getting turned out almost all day, and getting some noni juice supplement which has been recommended for shrinking tumors. We are assuming that a grey, 15 year old TB has some tumors somewhere that are interfering with breathing. So right now, he's 100% sound, and we had a great lesson Tuesday. Nice flowing, adjustable hunter course. On Saturday we did our first roll-backs, slices and jumper stuff. Very fun! We all know that nothing lasts forever, so I'm just making the most of my current excellent situation.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

pony4me - glad he's doing ok, and it sounds like you have a good mindset for taking things as they come.

Update on my Schoolie - so I had a lesson this afternoon, and when I led him out of his stall, he was dead lame. Boss trainer is away in CA for a few days on an unexpected trip (I think something personal, not horse related), but assistant/hunter trainer said they were looking into some different treatments and injections for him before he left, and dear schoolie will probably start a new regimen in the next few days. So I rode her horse for my lesson.

He's very different from my regular schoolie. He's about a half hand shorter, at least 300 lbs lighter (not surprising as schoolie is a clydesdale cross and this guy is an appy) and a hunter not a jumper. He jumps very round, but doesn't launch himself up in a jarring way (I was kind of surprised that he was so easy to stay with) and is very, very, well trained. He's got a motor on him for sure, but my initial impression that he's very honest and tries to take care of his rider. She's going to let me hack him on Mondays (my regular lessons are Wed and Fri) so we'll see how it goes. Sadly he won 7 year end championships/awards this year (between her and the junior she'd half leased him to), so she's decided to sell him, so it won't be a long-term thing (he's actually very reasonably priced, but I still can't afford it right now).

Event - congratulations! It sounds like you're in a really good place right now and that you've worked hard for it. It's such a great feeling when everything clicks

Paradox - I hope your ankle heals soon and that it's better than everyone thinks - have a safe trip to Ohio and good luck on the TB you're going to be looking at.

Button, I will get some pictures of the *fat* forward Fjord this weekend. lol He's a cutie! Have fun hacking the appy. I always enjoy riding different horses and learning their buttons, so to speak. I hope you enjoy him but I also your schoolie gets better soon.

Ivy - Sounds like things are going well. Good luck with your outside contact work - I really struggle with that too.

pony4me - I'm glad your guy is doing well for now and that you're having fun. I have to admit I have no idea what slices or roll-backs are, but I'm going to go google them! lol

Dewey - I am so sorry about your QH friend. But it will be nice for him to have a person of his own, and as others have noted, you have given him the skills to have a long, useful life. I know that doesn't make you miss him less though. My trainer is about to sell a horse we all really like as well. But that is the business end of what our trainers do.

Great news on your guy pony4me.

Tajar's abscess is still bothering him - he had a little bit more drainage yesterday when it was soaked. And since my backup schoolie is on stall rest for 3 months, it looks like it will be a "no riding" weekend for me. I may actually do some shopping!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Alright – lots of catching up to do!

Event4Life – I do have Gabriel on a joint supplement. He’s been on it since he first started showing signs of a little stiffness – probably about 4 or 5 years now. It does seem to help a lot, and I think the amount of turn-out he’s getting in this new place (12-13 hours a day) is *really* helping, too. If worse comes to worse, I’ve pondered talking to the vet about joint injections. But I don’t believe that’s necessary yet.

Sounds like you’ve been having some AWESOME rides! That’s wonderful!!! Keep it up – but do make sure to keep a water bottle with you at all times and sip consistently. In the Summer, I usually drink a few gulps every 10 or 15 minutes to be sure I won’t get heat exhaustion, which is HORRIBLE (ask me how I know).

Zacdos – CONGRATS on finding a great instructor!!! It’ll make all the difference.

Button – I’m sending your lesson boy lots of jingles so he’s no longer sore and comes right as rain for you.

Soloundinhere – Your new boy is GORGEOUS!!! And it looks like he was having a blast at that show. You got a keeper there. I bet you’re so anxious for him to come home!

Also, I don’t think anyone can judge about alters… That’s the whole point of an alter. You want to discuss something that might be a little controversial or otherwise uncomfortable for you, so you try to ensure anonymity via an alter. I know I’ve used an alter once or twice myself – though at this point I can’t even remember what the name was. If I ever wanted to alter up again, I’d have to create a new one. Hahaha!

Finzean – Ugh allergies!!! I usually have trouble with them, too, but I *think* I may’ve lucked out this year (knock on wood) because my allergies tend to act up in Spring and Fall… For whatever reason, here in my part of the Keystone state we’ve completely skipped Spring and went straight from 30’s to 70’s. lol So far, so good on my allergy front – perhaps I’ve been spared?

Tiger Horse – Riding horses is crazy complicated because you have to remember *so many things* to really ride well. I don’t think non-horsey people get that. But it sounds like you had an amazing lesson – good for you!!!! I’m so excited (because I’m living vicariously through you for the jumping stuff right now – lol)!!!

ParadoxFarm – Have a great time in Ohio!!! Are you super excited about going to see the hopeful new horse on the 14th? I know I’m super excited for you – I can’t wait to hear how it all went! Btw, I’m SO glad all Chico needed was shoes – hooray!!!

Tarheel – I’m sending jingles to your trainer’s horse and hope all is well after the stall rest. I’m sorry Tajar has an abscess. Gabriel has had a couple here and there and they really do suck. …Are you guys still planning to show him in a couple of weeks? If so, good luck with him! I hope he settles right in and you’re able to take him for a go in a class or two.

RolyPoly – I’m a crier, too. I hate it, but I fully admit that I am. So I completely understand your not wanting to call the trainer. I’m sure your trainer will listen to your fears and help in whatever way he/she feels is best to keep you safe during your next lesson.

SuperD – I’m so glad Jack is feeling better – poor boy! Your two babies are GORGEOUS – thank you so much for the photo! I’m excited to hear how Jack does at his next show!!!

RubyGirl – Your Fjord sounds like a character. I *love* those little critters – so awesome! I’m glad you’re getting to ride, and just think – you don’t need a gym because he gives you a work-out. lol

Bumknees – I’m so sorry your car wouldn’t start. Man – if it isn’t one thing, it’s another, right? You’ll get to a lesson soon, though, I’m sure of it. Just hang in there.

Dewey – {{HUGS}} to you. I am SO sorry your little buddy is up for sale. I think everyone else really said it – you’ve ensured him a great home where he’ll be loved and appreciated for all his knowledge and his sweet personality. I know that doesn’t help very much, but you’ve blessed him with the abilities that will lead him into the arms of people who will *truly* appreciate him.

Ivy – Congrats on the lesson! Woo-hoo!!!! It feels great to get back into the saddle, doesn’t it? Don’t worry about the dropping contact thing – you’ll get it soon. We all get rusty when we aren’t able to ride like we want to.

Pony4Me – EXCELLENT news about your horse! I’m so happy he’s sound and that you were able to have some great rides on him. I’m sending jingles that he stays that way!

Dewey, Tiger Horse, Tarheel, Paradox – Thank you all for the kind words. The idea of selling any of my horses is not an easy thing to deal with, but in the end, I’m having to just look at the bigger picture. And now that I’ve decided for sure to sell Velvet (ad is already posted) I do feel like a weight has been lifted off of me. It sucks, and I’m going to be upset when she leaves, but now I know I’ll no longer have to stress about all that stuff. And as for Rose, I’m going back and forth about posting her ad up. A part of me feels like I should wait until her 30 days is up because she really has been phenomenal so far – but another part of me says, “She’s SO GREEN!!! What if something happens because she’s SO GREEN!!!” I’m not sure what to do with her yet – all I know is that I adore her and don’t want to sell her, but if I don’t sell her, I can’t get something else as a transition horse from Gabriel, either.

….In relation to the horse selling situation, my friend recommended I look into Morgans, so I’ve contacted a Morgan breeder in CT who appears to have some fantastic horses. She told me a lot about their training program and it sounds like they’re very well trained, good minded horses. I also explained to her how terrible my confidence is right now and she said they have multiple horses that would be a fit for me. They aren’t a high-pressure sale place, so I’m welcome to just come up for a few hours and ride a few and see what I think. So, I’m going to do it. The only day that would work for both of us was this coming Sunday, so I’m going to make a homage on the 14th and see whether I like her horses and what I think about Morgans in general. When I was 10ish I went to a week-long summer camp and the horse I was assigned was a Morgan/Saddlebred – and he was the best little horse! Had a good motor and liked to be forward, but listened so well and he was a gem. I often think back on that horse, and he was part of the reason I ended up with Gabriel (Gabe is a Saddlebred).

I’m hoping I find something I can feel safe on.

Classy - I'm at the point where I realize there's nothing I can really do about being a crier and it doesn't bother me as much as it did, but I end up feeling horrible for the person who has to deal with it! So I try to minimize that as much as I can!

My trainer did respond to my email and she fully understands and is willing to take things slowly with me - phew! I have my practice ride tomorrow and I'm both excited to finally ride and kinda worried. But since it's just a hack, I can avoid the Scary End of the ring if need be (sadly it's going to rain so we'll be in the indoor with all its gremlins) and even just stick to a walk if that's all I can handle.

I am all set with my protective vest AND that sticky spray stuff And I just ordered some Kerrits Sit Tight breeches that should be here in time for my lesson on Wednesday.

So, I am prepared. I think!

Button - sorry about your schoolie I hope they can get him feeling better! The horse you rode sounds really nice! Maybe he won't sell for awhile?

Oh! And Classy - good luck w/ the Morgans! I LOVE Morgans - my uncle's first horse was one and I grew up riding him. He was insanely smart (and stubborn) and as honest and caring as the day was long - and with the smoothest canter in the world. I'd love to have one, but being 900 feet tall I'm not sure that will happen!

Yes I cannot wait for him to come home!

Sorry to hear about all the pony troubles here's hoping my new one doesn't give me any. I need some of those sit tight breeches myself. I have to go through and do a purge of my tailored sportsman collection, since I got fat and stuff doesn't fit right anymore

3 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

ClassyRide - Morgans ROCK! There was one boarded at the barn I grew up at, and the owner didn't really ride him so she let us ride him whenever we wanted. This was back in the days before everyone was crazy over liability insurance lol...we used to trail that horse all over the place. He was such a blast, and a HUGE confidence giver. His owner used to show jump him a lot, so he was a blast to jump, and IIRC he was the first horse I jumped over 3'. Anyway, have tons of fun this weekend and be sure to let us know how it goes! You are right about keeping a water bottle with me. I always leave mine in the car, definitely need to stop that. I should probably also leave one in the barns refrigerator so I always have a cold refill.

soloudinhere - I always thought Alterageous was someone's clever main s/n! Your new horse is gorgeous, bet you're excited to get started!

Button - enjoy riding the new horse. I always get attached to school horses too and need to be reminded how much I learn from riding different types of horses. I hope your schoolie feels better soon though!

My HR news is I went home briefly for a night and headed to Dover bright and early this morning. I got my first ever non no-name brand helmet. It is a Charles Owen J8, very exciting. It is soooo much more comfortable than my old one, which had expanded and started slipping down whenever I cantered or jumped. I also replaced my Ariat paddock boots (ripped at the sole) with the updated version of what I had before.
    Last edited by Event4Life; Apr. 12, 2013 at 08:00 AM.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Classy- Thanks for the kind words. My goal is to die a training level rider. so hopefully, I will have a long time to make that happen...

Love Morgans too!
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Classy Ride-wow I am impressed with your post it looked like a lot of work to address everyone. I sometimes get tired in the middle but hey, your post is awesome ! I need more redbull....

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks, ClassyRide. Hopefully my boy's abscess will be cleared up so we can still go to the show next weekend, but I obviously don't want to push him too hard, so we'll see. I trust my trainers, so if they say he can go, we'll go. I'll keep everyone posted.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

This post is totally going down another track but it needs to be said:

I am SO GRATEFUL for this thread and The Re-Rider Group! Over the past week, I've been reading other threads in all the COTH forums where people are just hateful and nasty. Posters are more quick to take shots at one another than try to understand what's being written....and there's a few posters who can always be counted upon to issue some smart a$$ commentary. I've wished for a "pat on the head with a folding chair" emoticon more times than one this past week!!

So - I'm saying thanks to all the folks that post in this thread for being encouraging and supportive...for not judging other posters b/c they don't ride the "right breed" or jump high enough, or whatever. We are with horses for a variety of reasons...and it seems all the right reasons over here on this thread.

I can't keep everything straight over here b/c I'm horrible w/names and need some faces/visuals to go with the names. A few of you I've created some funny visual images based on your screen names if I haven't seen a photo of you/your critter. So forgive my posts where I don't respond to each person, but know that I appreciate your contributions to this group.

OK - sappy Friday post done...now onto the glamorous life of farm chores. Carry on.

4 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Finzean - I totally agree! Some positive support is often all that's needed, especially during the rough times some of us are experiencing.

On the subject of paddock boots, have any of you who live in hot climates tried the Ariat terrains or similar? I was looking at them in Dover and wondering if they'd be cooler than traditional leather boots for riding/barn work in the heat. Any opinions? The 2 reasons I'm reluctant, 1 foolish and 1 not: 1) they do not come in black, and my half chaps are black (foolish, obviously!) 2) a friend had them and they completely wore out, but that was after 3 months of intense ranch work & wearing them all day every day for 10-12 hours a day.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Finzean - you are so sweet! And so right! I'm also *very* thankful for this thread and all of the positive contributers here. We all go through ups and downs and sometimes you just need a few kind words to get you through.

It means the world to me that there are so many kind people here, which is one of the reasons I try (not always successfully) to keep on top of everyone's happenings individually - because I appreciate each and every one of you.

Two of my horses are also not the "right" breed by some peoples' standards (Gabriel and Rose are both American Saddlebreds) and I tend to gloss over that on the board at large for fear it would cause a hub-bub. Thank goodness I can be open about that here.

1 members found this post helpful.

Tarheel - I hope Tajar's abcess improves over the weekend. Have fun with your shopping! I've been doing a little too much of that lately

RolyPolyPony - I hope your lessons goes well with your new vest and I'm really glad your trainer understands. Nothing wrong with walking and working on transitions. I did that myself Wednesday night. Stay cool enough and drink lots of fluids!

Classy - good luck looking at the Morgans - I just love them! I rode a Morgan cross (not sure what the cross was) a couple of years ago and I simply adored that horse! He was gaited and was so comfortable to ride, plus his personality was just awesome. Very sweet horse. I hope you find just what you're looking for soon I hope Velvet finds a great home soon too and that you have lots of good prospective buyers calling about her. Sounds like a difficult decision regarding Rose, though. Jingles for making the best one for both you and her!

Event4Life - I've been wondering about the Ariat Terrains as well. I just have a cheapo pair of neoprene riding boots and not only have I worn the tread off but my feet like they're in a furnace in the summer! They're great in the winter but not so much now. I hope there are some more breathable ones out there somewhere! Glad you like your new helmet

Finzean - have fun with those farm chores. lol I agree completely about the positivity in this thread - it's so nice not to be judged here.

I'm going to audit a Bryan Neuberg clinic this weekend at the Ag Center is Fletcher, NC. It's my first clinic to audit and I'm really looking forward to it. I hope it's a good one!

I hope everyone has a great weekend and some great rides.
    Last edited by rubygirl1968; Apr. 12, 2013 at 09:09 AM. Reason: highlighted names

Quote Originally Posted by ClassyRide View Post

Two of my horses are also not the "right" breed by some peoples' standards (Gabriel and Rose are both American Saddlebreds) and I tend to gloss over that on the board at large for fear it would cause a hub-bub. Thank goodness I can be open about that here.
    I think Saddlebreds are the best breed ever! I learned to ride on an older show horse and he remains my most favorite horse in the world. He was smart and forgiving, but not a pushover - he was just very gentle about showing me to ride him in the right way. When my day for getting my own horse comes I plan on trying to find a Saddlebred. Too bad it's not right now or I would look at Rose if you were selling her.