The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 168 of 355 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170178218268 ... LastLast
Results 3,341 to 3,360 of 7100

Soloud - he's soooooo cute!!! Huzzah!

Have not ridden since my second fall - was too sore on Friday for my practice ride. Again. I did go to the doc and based on poking and prodding things she thinks I have a bone bruise on my upper tailbone, and prescribed Vicodin! Whee! (I haven't actually taken it, as my husband was away all weekend and based on the fact my mom has a bad reaction to it, I didn't want to take it while home alone).

I emailed my trainer about my anxiety regarding this horse, but am still waiting for a reply. I should just call, but I'm a crier - I'm used to it at my advanced age, but it can kinda freak other people out! Plan this week is to likely reschedule Wed's lesson as I think I'll still be sore and sore=likely to fall off again if he does a big spook, and then try to ride on Friday - I think I may stay down at the "safe" half of the ring. My vest will be in by then, so hopefully that will boost my confidence. I think I'm willing to try riding him in a lesson if I can get the lesson at another time - I'm starting to really think it's the light/shadows freaking him out.

I'm calmer than I was last Thursday, but ugh - still just not pleased that my stress reliever is now a source of stress!

Sounds like everyone is doing well!!

I went with my trainer and another boarder to watch them compete in Va at th CDCTA event. It was a blast and both horses were awesome. They did both TIP numbers to compete under as well. I think I will get Jack one. Not all events support the programs but we may do some that do!!
    My trainers horse came in 8th overall in Novice and will be moved up to Training at his next event. He was very sassy and just ate up the XC course.
    The other boarders horse came in 4th overall in Beginner Novice. He is still very green and this was his first away event. He settled in great and rocked all 3 phases like a pro. He hated the long trailer ride home and was quiet grumpy when we stopped to give water and check on them. But was very happy to see his stall again!!!
    We decided that Jack just isn't fit enough to start competing this month. So we might take him to Plantation in May. His colic episode just took so much out of him. Our plans were to run him Beginner Novice at St Augustine then move him up to Novice at Plantation. Now we will just keep legging him up and see how he feels at the end of the month. Poor Jack.

Well I hope that everyone is having great weather. We are finally here so I am off to the barn to take Jack for a little hill work with my trainer and one of her horses!!

I apologize in advance if I miss anybody! Busy weekend looks like.

NJR, great picture! Sounds like you got a great ride in. Iris is a cutey.

Button, sorry to hear your older fella may be getting stiff. Do you know if they give him any supplements, or adequan or anything? I know with lesson horses sometimes they cannot afford to do that. I wonder if he would be better, though. Maybe he needs to be sold to an individual who can give him some extra special care. Maybe you need a new horse!

Stolen virtue, hope your horse got a well deserved rest! Next ride will be better.

Classy, I'm happy that you and your SS were able to spend some quality time with the horses. That's great. Sometimes I know it can be difficult to have good quality time with both biological AND step children! That's awesome that he enjoyed it. Gabriel is one special horse. And as I feel I'm getting to know you and your horses through your posting, I think you're definitely making a good move on selling Velvet. And maybe rose. I don't think there's a right or wrong, but I do think there can be a "good" decision. I am thinking if you did end up selling both girls that you will find a very nice horse for yourself that you will be a little more likely to enjoy riding. The horse is out there! (just like mine is out there, right?) I will say after reading about Gabrial, and about Buttons favorite horse, I am really lucky to have Chico. He turns 19 in June. He's is still going strong and is a joy to ride and jump. I know I'm on borrowed time, but fot now he is happy and healthy and sound. Oh, speaking of which, he just needed shoes! Put new shoes on and Sunday I rode him and he was very happy! Which made me very happy.

Event4Life, the POA sounds cute. But I've become partial to Appys. How much are they asking for the Hano?

zacdos, sounds like you find a great new "home". Very good.

soloud, LOVE LOVE LOVE your "pony"! Aww. He's lovely. How did the show go?

Finzean, take care of yourself. Spring stinks for those with allergies! I spent the weekend weeding my rode garden. Blech.

Tiger Horse, all-in-all sounds like a great lesson. And sometimes those crazy jumps teach us the most of all! Good job sticking like Velcro. Yeah, I'm with you if I'm worried about a few different things, I forget all about counting.

Tarheel. Thanks for the good luck wishes. I'm really thinking this is going to be a good horse for us. So much so that I actually put a small deposit on her to hold her till we come see her on Sunday. Fingers are crossed!! And the ankle...I'm sort of afraid it's not fixed. I'm getting some of those sharp pains once in a while like I did before the cast was put on in October. I hope I'm wrong. I have an appointment next week.

Hope you have a great show series. I cannot wait to get back to some shows this year. I think you should ride in a few classes. You'll have fun. I do understand wanting him to have a good experience. But like you said, if he's good, go for it.

RolyPolyPony, good thinking on holding off on the meds. Be safe. Sorry you're still hurting. Does your horse do better outside?

superD, sounds like a fun weekend. Congrats to your barnies! And I agree, take it slowly with Jack. He'll tell you when he's ready!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Paradox-- The show went well. He didn't pin, but I'm not surprised. He has been under saddle for about 60 days at this point and his parts are not all connected yet . There were horses who are way more experienced there. I am just happy that he jumped around with no spook and he hacked with a bunch of other horses without a care.

soloud, sounds like a complete success! That's awesome.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I know I'm goinf to miss someone, so I apologise.

Soloud - he's so cute! Love his face!

SuperD - what is a TIP number?

Paradox - if I thought there was any chance whatsoever of him being for sale or even for lease I'd be all over it (he's not ). He gets some kind of joint supplement, I'll try to find out at my lesson on Wed what it is.

Hi guys My lesson is at 11:30 today I cant wait.
    will try to get pics. my son has a digi camera, I still do film and am absoluty lost when it comes to digital. Maybe dh will get some as I make a fool of myself.. .

I will be in a western saddle.. To help me with balance. I haven't been in a western saddle for about 15 yrs so this should be interesting. Last time I sat in a western saddle is was so painful to my body in the nether region that I decided western was not for me. But it is probably the best concidering my balance on the ground has not been the best of the ground. I sometime ( well mostly) walk like a drunkin sailor down the hall. ( I see the dr an the 22nd so I will mention it to him).

It sounds like almost everyone has a good start to spring. And those who are having a difficult time Im so sorry. But if I can do it then I am sure that you will.
    Friend of bar .ka

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Paradox - $15k, which is more than fair, and I think it would be higher if there was more opportunity to show recognized around here, but there isn't, so horse hasn't had exposure to the A's. He's a super nice horse. The POA(?) mare is adorable, she's actually really nicely put together and will make some lucky kid a nice pony. All her gaits are steady & extremely comfortable. I was surprised how balanced her canter was despite that she didn't know leads! I hope it goes well with the TB for you!

Good luck with the lesson bumknees!

zacdos - YAY for finding a nice barn to lesson at! Here's hoping you finally get the opportunity to actually ride & improve.
    Last edited by Event4Life; Apr. 9, 2013 at 08:47 AM.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

NJR, Iris is beautiful and you look great on her

Soloud, congratulations! I follow the Mid-atlantic blog and thought Halfway House was gorgeous the first time I saw him.

I'm so sorry - there has been so much activity since my last post I'm never going to be able to keep up! I hope that we all have some good rides, find a way to calm our nerves and for those with injuries that you heal soon.

Finzean, remember the craigslist horse in SC? She's finally getting a butt! lol She was so skinny when she got here that she had nothing but now she's filling out and is getting cuter by the day. I'll have to post some pictures of her - she's a real lovebug. She loves her face rubs - she'll stand there and go to sleep while you're scratching.

I'm sticking with Leif for now. My forward Fjord. lol

Rode Saturday and Sunday and I'm pretty sure I got more of a workout than he did. It's a crying shame that a fat draftie can outlast me but he did.

Lessons on him are very challenging but I've had some good rides on him lately and have decided that for now, I'm going to work with what I have. I've started taking more lessons on him and I think that's helping but I'm hoping to get a ride from someone to take him out on a trail ride so we both don't get ring-sour. Me moreso than him.

I hope everyone has good rides this week.

Paradox - he's....different outside. He's less spooky, but more looky/distracted, if that makes sense! I AM hoping to ride outside for my practice ride on Friday because looky sounds less anxiety-inducing than spooky!

I'm actually talking to someone right now about the possibility of riding her horse a bit - the horse is literally down the street from me and sounds like a sweet girl. Going to meet them this weekend and I'm really excited!

Button- TIP numbers are for off the track TB that are starting their new careers. With this number you can show them in the new for Tb only shows/classes. I think it is called the Tb incentive program.

Bumknees- I hope your lesson went well and most of all you had fun!!

Rolypolypony- A lot of people wear the vests all the time!! I say wear what you feel most safe in! I hope your next ride goes better and you are feeling better!!!

Zacdos- I hope you are enjoying the new barn!! Keep us updated.

Paradox- any luck with the horse you were checking out after the fair weekend??? I also hope that your ankle isn't as bad as it was previously!!!! Sending healing thoughts.

I know I am missing people but I hope everyone is having good rides!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks superD, that sounds like a nice program, I assume it's for promoting the fact that they can do a lot more than run fast in circles? I think you should get Jack one!

Bumknees how did it go????????

Ruby girl thanks for the update!! I am so frustrated sometimes at not bein able to just ride off to the rescue. So good to know the mare is in good hands.

Well, I had a very good ride yesterday and even asked one of the barn girls to hop on SKy so I could watch her jump, which I had never done...that was fun.

On a sad note, I talked to the coach about my little QH buddy, and it is just a matter of time before he is sold. She has three people very interested. I'm so upset...trying to be resigned and not resentful. I shouldn't resent all the work I put into training and showing him because I loved every minute of it. The coach also needs the money, so I have to think of that. If she goes out of business, I and so many others will be worse off...I love him so much, though...
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Finzean, I know exactly what you mean. I see so many cats/dogs/horses in need and I can't do anything about them, except cry and want to beat some sense in some people.

Thankfully my boss had been looking for a project after putting her 29 yr old Fjord down and thought PJ would fit the bill. All I have to do is feed her and love on her, but that's the fun part, right?

Dewey, I'm so sorry about your QH buddy. You (general sense) get so attached to them, especially after all the work you put into him, and then they leave us.
    Big hugs to you!

Dewey - Crossing fingers he will end up somewhere great. The fact that he has a great set of job skills is like an insurance policy that will help keep him from getting dumped into unfortunate circumstances. YOU had a big role is creating that insurance policy for him. Give yourself a pat on the back and glass of good wine. Not all horses are so lucky as to have an insurance policy.

had to reschdual lesson.. car would/will not start. So lesson on hold for now...
    Friend of bar .ka

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Dewey - what Finzean said. The effort you put into this guy will stop him from ending up somewhere that won't treat him well. Letting go is really hard, but think of all the exciting things the horse will get to do with his new owners!

bumknees - bummer about the car and rescheduling the lesson. Fingers crossed its nothing serious w/ the car!

I had a great lesson today. I'm finally feeling like I'm getting somewhere with my riding after being back in the saddle for ~6 months. I feel like I've found my "place" in the horse world again which is really nice. I rode Derbe again (the 17hh 6 y/o WBXTB), who is SUCH A COOL HORSE. I still cannot really get over the fact I have the opportunity to ride such nice horses. We did grid work this time and the few times I "got it" it felt awesome...so I just need to remember that and recreate it every time, lol. Karen said my leg is looking better too, which is one of my biggest downfalls. I'm working on getting stronger/fitter by doing the couch potato to half marathon training, which involves a lot of "shuffling" which kills your calf muscles! Hopefully it will all pay off and by the time I can afford my own I'll be fit enough to ride/train it!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

First off, I want to say that I really, really enjoy this group. I want to thank you all for being POSITIVE and supportive. It means a lot. I wouldn't post half the stuff I do to the list "at large". So, thank you!

Heading out to Ohio tomorrow, so may not be able to post till I get back. You all be good!

Event4LIfe, so happy to hear of your progress. Sure is motivational! Keep up the good work.

Dewey, I agree with the others, you certainly did do a good thing by working with the QH. Maybe you can ask to meet the new owner or at least get an email address and see if they might be willing to keep in contact with you on occasion and maybe you can check up on him. I do that with certain horses. Some people don't mind.

Sorry about your car bumknees. That stinks.

superD, thanks for your kind thoughts on my ankle. Keeping my fingers crossed. Oh, and looking at the TB this weekend on our way hom from Equine Affaire. So Sunday the 14th. Hope it works out. She really seems to be a horse that will be a good fit.

rubygirl, good job on your lessons. Sometimes the best lessons are those that you have to work hard for! I agree, a nice trail ride sounds nice, though. Especially this time of year.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde