The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 160 of 511 FirstFirst ... 60110150158159160161162170210260 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,200 of 10211

Default catching up

Hi all- long time no post. Been working with Ollie a lot on getting his hind end engaged and being more responsive. It's been working! his jumping form has vastly improved, even if mine hasn't! This is from schooling the night before our show: http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ps43c77029.jpg

Show wasn't great though. We heard the dreaded phrase "rider, you are excused" because he kept dropping a shoulder to evade the first jump - out of pure laziness. Second course, once I got him going, was just beautiful though. I also had to teach him a lesson about rushing in the flat class by putting him on a canter circle in the middle. I wasn't going to place, so I thought I would try to teach him that slowing down is The Right Thing To Do. Good overall experience for him, even if we didn't place.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

My lesson was wonderful!! There were so many things I knew I was doing wrong but was having the hardest time correcting them on my own, and even identifying when/what I needed to change. Sounds ridiculous coming from someone who has been riding for 15+ years (now thats a scary thought) but true. I guess it just didn't "feel" right but I didn't know what to change! I really clicked with the trainer too which is such a nice feeling. I'm still coming to terms with what went down at the previous barn, but I know with time I'll get over it. Even though I know I did the right thing its still rough. I'm going back to the new place next Tuesday and then will be out the following weekend to help with with some kiddie stuff and hacking some of her sale horses.

CR - keep on chugging away at the cantering, I know you'll get it. I hope your home situation improves too, I'm sure thats rough.

Paradox - looking forward to your lesson update! I'm going to be taking weekly lessons at least to start which I need very badly & am excited for.

SuperD - have you tried putting a saltblock or lickit type thing in his stall? Maybe licking away at one of those will encourage him to drink more. Positive thoughts still coming your way!

PaintedHunter - well done at the show! Its all about the experience, everything else will come with time.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Thank you Paradox. I pretty much figured she is moving too slow. She is really stuck in her ways that is for sure! This would even be too slow for a beginner but I think that is what she considers me and she even called me that once or twice. I am going to have to get out of the lease cause this is really not working for me at all! I have some ideas I can use that may work and am planning to get out of this and the sooner the better! I will let you know what happens.

I had a little of the same experience and since went for evaluation rides at two other barns. I feel like after having had a few lessons I knew better what i wanted, and then could know what to look for in a trainer. Fingers crossed I chose wisely. I think you need to trust your trainer is doing right by you and bringing you along, and maybe you need to check out a few others (ask what their riding plan would be for you--that's what I did) and see what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by zacdos View Post
    I am re riding after about 40 years. I am half leasing a horse and taking lessons once week. I rode a lot and studied dressage. My problem is with my trainer who I clicked with at first and thought this was going to be a great experience but now I am not too sure. I started lessons on Feb 6 and all we have done until a couple weeks ago is practice liberty and if I mentioned riding the trainer got upset. Weekend before last my leg started hurting so she said I have to ride. Last week my lesson consisted of half hour tacking up the horse and having her work horse at liberty. Next half hour I rode around arena but she pulled me in the center to explain stuff to me. Total riding time about 20 minutes. She told me last week the saddle is too small and she wants me to buy some slimming underware like a girdle. She said everyone wants stuff to happen now!! I am frustrated cause I can't ride horse unless she supervises and I have nothing to practice. I don't want to fight with her cause I dont want to burn bridges. Is this kind of stuff normal for lessons nowdays?

I fell off today. Sky jumped a fence nicely and then spooked hard at a flower box sitting on the ground near the landing side. I stayed on for a few jumps but knew I was going to come off because she always panics when I start to come loose. I fell on my right arm and side and have a shiner on my forehead. The arm is sore. I took a hot bath and an Aleve about an hour ago. There is a bit of swelling on the arm. If it is still sore tomorrow, I may go for an x-ray.

I was able to get back on, go over the jump again (no spook this time) and then jump a little more. The arm was very sore, though. One of the girls blanketed Sky for me after our ride: I didn't want to throw it over her. Was able to groom, clean my tack, and drive home, shifting gears with my sore arm, so I don't think it's broken.

I adore Sky, but I hope she becomes less spooky with time.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Welcome, Zacdos! I am puzzled by what you mean by your trainer "working the horse at liberty" during your lesson. Does that mean the horse is cantering around loose? Do you mind telling me what goes on and what is being accomplished?
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Welcome back, PH! The picture is wonderful! Ollie looks great. Sorry your show wasn't everything you'd hoped; my last one wasn't either. Well, it's all learning. At least that's what I tell myself.

Hi Dewey: Thanks for your response. No I don't mind at all. FIrst the trainer is working any excess energy off the horse by cantering him around the arena loose. Then I hand hold him while grooming and he likes to move around so she shows me how to get him to stand and ground tie. The horse must stand perfectly square for grooming and if he doesn't I have to keep moving him until he is. Next comes the saddle and I have to put the saddle on and it has to be to her liking i.e. everything in the keepers, keep tightening the girth 3 seperate times. Keep in mind I already know how to tack up. Next comes bridle but I can do that well she says. Then I get on while she holds the saddle so it doesn't move. I ride around the arena while she tells me the difference between classical dressage and modern dressage. She asks me questions like which horses foot is moving forward
    by the movement of my leg. If I get it wrong she takes me i the center and gives me a lengthy explanation which takes about 10 minutes and I have to listen until the horse wants to walk then I walk him around a few times. I tried getting the horse on the rail by having him yield to my leg and she said that is not right. I coulden't get the horse to stop or turn and she was no help. What gets accomplished? In my opinion nothing!
    Last edited by zacdos; Mar. 26, 2013 at 09:53 PM.

zacdos - Sounds like trainer is using you to train the horse. You need to find somewhere you can actually ride, which is what you are paying to do. I am all for horsemanship, but what you described is excessive.
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Dewey are you okay? I'm sorry you came off but proud of you for getting back on. You should probably have the arm x-rayed even though you could use it some. Check back in tomorrow and let us know how you are feeling.

Dewey: I am so sorry about your fall. I came really close last Sunday but he actually let me put my arse back in the saddle.

Take care of your arm, and let us know how you are doing. I am planning to ride Wed. had a tough couple of days and I really need a release from the stress. My son was accosted by a man with a gun on Monday morning walking to a friends house. We live in a very safe neighborhood with a park/creek area. He is fine, he ran to his friends house and called his dad. Filed a report with the sheriffs office. I just need a bit of my happy place right now.

Quote Originally Posted by zacdos View Post
    I am re riding after about 40 years. I am half leasing a horse and taking lessons once week. I rode a lot and studied dressage. My problem is with my trainer who I clicked with at first and thought this was going to be a great experience but now I am not too sure. I started lessons on Feb 6 and all we have done until a couple weeks ago is practice liberty and if I mentioned riding the trainer got upset. Weekend before last my leg started hurting so she said I have to ride. Last week my lesson consisted of half hour tacking up the horse and having her work horse at liberty. Next half hour I rode around arena but she pulled me in the center to explain stuff to me. Total riding time about 20 minutes. She told me last week the saddle is too small and she wants me to buy some slimming underware like a girdle. She said everyone wants stuff to happen now!! I am frustrated cause I can't ride horse unless she supervises and I have nothing to practice. I don't want to fight with her cause I dont want to burn bridges. Is this kind of stuff normal for lessons nowdays?
    If you are half leasing, could you just ride the horse on your own without a lesson? When leased I was free to ride the horse on certain days as I pleased. Also, if my trainer told me to wear slimming underwear or a girdle I would be pissed off. Find a new trainer!

Painted Hunter: You guys look great! Sounds like the show was a success experience wise and that will pay off in the future.

Event4Life - congrats on the great lesson. It's amazing how much eyes on the ground help. Even pros have trainers.

zacdos - welcome! Sounds like a new trainer might be in order and although I agree that not everything happens overnight, you should have made some progress by now. I think twelvebelles is right on!

Dewey - sorry about your fall - hope you are better today. Silly horses!

stolen virtue - OMG, I don't know what to say. What an awful experience for your son - and all of you. Very frightening to say the least. So very glad he is OK. Enjoy your ride today.

Had a pretty good ride last night and was trying to apply some things from my lesson on Sunday. Canter work is great - I get him set up and he just rolls along. Trot work - not so much, probably because it's harder for him! Anyway, I was talking to "daughter trainer" after my ride, she suggested I give a pelham a try. Sounds like a good idea - and I understand the reasoning behind it - just not sure I can execute - I've never used one before. Tell me it's not as complicated as I think?!
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Dewey - keep an eye on that arm, sometimes there's some serious damage that you don't notice at first (especially up in the shoulder). If it's not feeling better today, or you're limited in range of motion it may be worth it to check in with an ortho.

Zacdos - I'm hoping there's some kind of profound master plan behind this, but if there is she should be sharing it with you. And a girdle! WTF!?

Virtue - Whoa! That's insane, I'm so glad he got away unscathed.

Tiger - they're really not that bad. I kind of like them actually, having the second set of reins gives my pinky something to hold so I don't get yelled at for sticking it out (I swear I has a mind of it's own). They're really awkward at first, but once you get used to them they're ok.

Thanks for the concern, everyone. I feel a bit stiff but think I am going to be OK. Arm is a bit sore still, but the swelling has gone down. This is the same arm that I experienced "frozen shoulder" with a couple of years ago, and the pain is nothing like that. (For those of you who've never experienced frozen shoulder, the pain is excruciating.) No limitation of movement, just a bit of soreness. My usual riding days are Tuesday and Thursday; since it's Holy Week, I won't be going this Thursday as my presence is required at church. (I am in the choir.) The time off will be good for my arm. I may go in for an x-ray but really, I think it is OK.

Zacdoes, I never heard of a lesson like that. I would find that very frustrating unless I was a real beginner. The tacking up in the ring seems like overkill to me. I am a former Pony Clubber, so I don't take horsemanship or stable management lightly, but really...it sounds as though she is something of a control freak. Is that too unkind to say? And as for the comment on the girdle, did that come as a response to a complaint from you, or was it out of the blue? There's a difference between your saying, "I hate the way I look in breeches," and her recommending a product, and her just coming up to you and saying that you really should buy the girdle. That I would find insulting.

Tiger, riding with a pelham bridle is a useful skill. I jump Sky in a pelham at shows. It's not hard although it may feel a little awkward at first. As long as you take the time to set up your reins properly (get someone to show you), it should be fine. Remember to keep the curb rein a little longer than the snaffle. When I show a beginner how to hold double reins, I always stand next to the child who is on the horse, take the reins into my hands as if I were the rider, and have the girl put her hands right over mine. I let go when I see that she is holding them correctly.

Event4Life, I'm so glad to hear about your lesson! Glad things are going well at the new place!

Stolen virtue, How is your son doing? And how are you? I can't imagine such a thing happening to one of my children. The idea is terrifying!

Painted Hunter, you and Ollie look great. Sorry about your refusal. But looks like you redeemed yourselves in your next class! Progress.

Event4Life, Awesome on your lesson! It really is hard to fix things on your own. I'm glad you enjoyed the lesson. How was your lesson yesterday? And have fun with the kids!

Dewey! Sorry about the fall. Have you had it checked out yet, or is it better? I give you props for getting back on and getting the job done! How old is Sky?

Stolen virtue, good luck with your ride today. Hope you have fun and it's a good stress reliever. Sorry to hear about your son. That's never fun. Hope they caught the jerk.

Tiger Horse, Did "daughter trainer" say why she felt a pelham would be beneficial? Glad you're canter work is cruisin'!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Update on me. Lesson still scheduled for Saturday morning. While I'm looking forward to it, I feel very unprepared.

Also, TENTATIVELY we will be looking at/trying the Appendix mare on Friday. I don't have a time yet, so it's not written in stone. But I'm crossing my fingers. In the meantime, my poor Chico is getting lonely out there alone. My friend had to take her horse home (she sold him) so Chico is on his own till I find a new horse. Hopefully we'll find the right one soon!
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post

Event4Life, Awesome on your lesson! It really is hard to fix things on your own. I'm glad you enjoyed the lesson. How was your lesson yesterday? And have fun with the kids!
    Thanks! - it was the same lesson lol, only had one so far. I am soooo sore right now - sitting trot and two point HURT. Getting back in shape, here I come! I'm going again next Tuesday for a lesson then next weekend to hack some of her sale horses :-D. Her kids programs sound awesome & she does a fun evening jumper series in the summer (too hot during the day!) so that'll be a blast too!

Sorry, Event4Life, jumped the gun! haa. It certainly sounds like you've found a nice place. We used to do a "jumper night" back when I lived in Michigan. Actually, that's where I met my husband, oh, 20 years ago!
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

1 members found this post helpful.

Paradox, Sky is 8, though I tell everyone she is more like a 5-year-old in terms of what she knows and how she acts. She was green broke (Western) and then sat in a pasture for several years till the guy I bought her from found her online and bought her for her bloodlines. He is smitten with Skys Blue Boy, her sire. He had dreams of breeding her, but that didn't happen. He asked me to make her into a riding horse in the meantime, and the rest is history. Wow..it's just about one year ago that I bought her. Time flies!

Am looking forward to hearing how the horse try-out goes Friday!