The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 159 of 401 FirstFirst ... 59109149157158159160161169209259 ... LastLast
Results 3,161 to 3,180 of 8007

Welcome BITSA!

Classy - those teen years are tough - on everyone. Hope things get better, sooner rather than later.

Stolen Virtue - good for you! I am so impressed with anyone who has the patience (and courage) to work with youngsters.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

I had an absolutely awesome lesson today, but it has presented me with one heck of a problem. My usual trainer was out of town, so I lessoned with the other trainer today. They are a mother-daughter team. My trainer is usually Mom. Daughter's approach is so much different - I feel like I learned so much more in just this one lesson than I have since starting up again with Mom. I would really like to continue lessoning with daughter, but have no idea how to do so without causing hard feelings . . .
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

CR--you have my sympathy. I know those teen years can be rough, and it sounds as though you're experiencing a lot of frustration. Hope the horses continue to provide therapy! It's what they do best, isn't it? (By the way, Paradox--my daughter dyed her hair bright pick when she went off to college. I bit my lip and said nothing. Now, a year later, she's tired of it and her hair is back to its natural color. )

Quietann--I love the pictures! Feronia looks exactly like the horse I dreamed about when I was about 6 years old! She is so lovely, and you two make a pretty picture. Hope she continues to heal. By the way, did you ever decide on a helmet?

Welcome, BITSA! Hope you find a good barn soon. I know you didn't ask for advice, but I would caution you about running into horse ownership. Take your time and find just the right situation.

TigerHorse--that's a tough one about the trainer. Maybe you could propose alternate lessons with the two of them or something.

SuperD--so, so sorry to hear about Jack! Hope he heals soon and doesn't require surgery! I live in dread of colic. That was what killed my first, beloved pony. Please keep us posted.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Dewey - that is not a bad idea - THANKS!

SuperD - any updates on Jack? Still jingling.

TigerHorse, I was thinking the same thing. Alternate. Tell original trainer that you enjoy learning from different styles. Good luck. Sounds like fun.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

SuperD, sorry to hear Jack is till not quite right. Keep us posted. Jingles your way.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Wowww. Hi guys! I need to get caught up with everyone's news, life has been crazy & I haven't ridden in a few weeks for a few reasons. Without going into the details, I had to make the decision to change barns. It sucks but I'm glad I've realized now before I got in any deeper. I'm lessoning at the hopeful new place tomorrow. I had a long conversation w/ the head trainer on the phone today and have researched it heavily - sounds like it will be a great fit. Fingers crossed!

Just some quick responses
    Tiger Horse - I agree, alternate. Just say you like getting different viewpoints . If I was a mother, I'd be thrilled that my daughter is doing so well. Make sure Mom knows how much you enjoyed the lesson!

Positive thoughts your way, SuperD. And I also fifth (?) suggestions to do something special for that barn kid when this is all over. We need more like her!!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Ok re-riders, I need some advice, not sure what to make of this offer.

Horse in question is a 10 yo OTTB, owned by my trainer. Basically a 17h black bay puppy dog, from everyone I ask I hear the same thing about him, that he's a mellow, relaxed guy that doesn't spook at anything and really takes care of his rider. He's a good mover, and jumps 3" with respectable/consistent form. He's not super fancy, but definitely not a nag either. Solid citizen.

Unfortunately the guy is also very much a hunter, he has no speed. When an attempt was made to try him as a jumper, he bowed a front tendon, was brought back too quickly, and bowed it again (mid bow). He's been on stall rest for many, many, months and is now being brought back very slowly and cautiously with good initial results. Even after all that time off, he was still very relaxed on his first u/s outing (a few minutes of walking).

Trainer was planning to offer him to me in a few months (assuming he's working well, no lameness etc) because he thought this would be a good horse to help me get some confidence on and I'm also on a tight budget.

Here's the rub. I don't think I'd mind doing hunters for a year or two, but jumpers is what excites me and what I want to do in the future. Do I buy him and develop a better seat/skillset for one day in the future when I can handle a hotter, younger horse with some speed (my budget will be limited to OTTB prospects, I don't/won't have the cash for a made jumper). DH (who has been on two rides ever) would like a trail horse one day, and I feel like this guy has the personality to take care of him.

So should I go for him (assuming he stays sound as he's re-starting)? There's absolutely no pressure to buy him from my trainer, it was literally "I think he'd be a good fit for you, but if you want to do jumpers you're going to outgrow him." I'm hesitant about buying a horse that will definitely not be suitable for what I eventually want to do, but quite frankly I can't afford something that is suitable for what I eventually want to do (and I don't know when I will be able to). Do I get him and build up experience in the mean time on a horse I feel like I can trust? Would the whole bow thing just totally put you off?

Sorry for the crazy rambling, just not sure what to think about this.

Button, first and foremost, make sure the horse is sound. I had an OTTB with a low, cold bow, and he never took a bad step. Definitely have a vet check it for you if you're interested in the horse. Things to consider....how old is the horse? If you outgrow him, is he young enough to sell. Bowed horses are harder to sell, though, even if sound. Something to consider. Also, if you are just newly getting into jumpers (or after lots of time off), you may still enjoy the horse. You can ride a slower pace and work on great turns and still do very well with this horse. That being said, if you want to do jumpers 3' and under you will be competing against the kids that just run their horses and ponies like crazy. Often times they win, but they are not learning how to ride nor could they ride that same horse at higher jumps. So, those are few things to consider. The price would have to be very good for me to consider the horse if my intention was to try to resell later. Too many sound OTTBs out there to compete with. Good luck!!
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Thanks guys for your jingles. Jack is happy and knocking the barn down trying to get some one to feed him!! He has had only a few BM and hasn't touched his water. The oil hasn't shown up yet. The vet said we could give him minimal food to try to get his gut moving a little quicker. she is not too worried because he is so darn happy and alert.
    Does anyone have any tricks to get him to drink?? We have given him electrolytes, warm water, flavored water the works. I even poured gatorade into my hand for him to drink- this he did lick but I suspect it was more due to the fact that I had just given my other horse an apple.
    I did give him an handful of alfalfa/timothy pellets mixed with about 1/2 of a small ( bathing size ) bucket of hot water, let it sit , then mixed it up and dumped into his feed bucket and he did drink that up. Ugh he is being so difficult!! I know he really isn't but I just wish he would drink.

Button- Jack has a old low bow in his front leg. I'm not sure he really got any attention and or care for it besides being chucked into a field for 3 yrs. He hasn't had any problems with it and he events. I just had the vet ultrasound it when I bought him, just to be sure. I say if he fits your want list and is a good guy I would just have the vet ultrasound it during your PPE and see what he thinks.

SuperD, can you soak his hay? He would get some water that way.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Paradox - I'm not sure about reselling, if DH likes him he would go on to being the DH's trail mount once I out grow him. If not, then he would probably be for sale in 2 years or so, by which point he would be 12 (according to the Jockey Club look-up he was born 29 Jan 2003). I have no interest in competing at the 3ft level with the crazy children, if I commit to jumpers then I want to go low A/O and higher (I'm not sure why, I just have this idea fixed in my head that that's how it's gonna be).

superD - there will definitely be an ultrasound, if it's not clear I'm not touching him. He fits my want list perfectly (size, price, jumping style, not a generic-looking bay that would blend in during an eq class, personality of a saint) except that he's a hunter not a jumper. The way hunters are judged seriously bugs me.

Okay, Button. After reading your posts, I think if he is sound and a good price, I would go for it! Keep us posted. And I will enjoy reading about your progress. I, too, am trying to get back to showing 3'6". I have my first lesson in 5 months scheduled for Saturday. (Broken ankle issue.). I have a feeling it will be tough starting over again.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    Okay, Button. After reading your posts, I think if he is sound and a good price, I would go for it! Keep us posted. And I will enjoy reading about your progress. I, too, am trying to get back to showing 3'6". I have my first lesson in 5 months scheduled for Saturday. (Broken ankle issue.). I have a feeling it will be tough starting over again.
    Thanks for the advice, I love his personality, he's such a lover. Hopefully he vets out sound in a few months when we're both ready to go. I bet it won't be so bad (your lesson) is the ankle pretty stiff?

Well, I finally had a good weekend, and I feel like I’m on the upswing with all the stuff that’s been going on recently. We’re nowhere near over the hump, but I feel a little better, anyway.

Saturday I met my friend at the barn and rode her little coming 3 year old filly Walk/Trot. She was quite happy with how I rode her and complimented how nicely I had her going. But really, she’s just a super little filly who’s going to rock it in the Hunter ring one day. Here is a photo from the ride. I was riding in my friend’s saddle – she’s a Dressage Queen, so she had the leathers at that length, and please excuse the bald spots on the filly. That poor girl had a raging case of rain rot when my friend got her. She’s healing slowly, but has patches of hair missing right now.

I also rode Velvet that day. She was a total superstar – I adore her. We did Walk/Trot/Canter, but I was only brave enough to Canter on the right lead (her better lead) that day. I sort of kicked myself later for not doing left lead, but I was almost freaking out at the time. It was all I could do to make myself do right lead. But now I’ve had another good experience with it – that can only help, right?

Erin got on little Rose on Saturday, too, but Rose was being a goober again. I hate to admit it, but I am pretty certain at this point she has hit the “teenage rebellion” stage. She didn’t do anything dangerous this weekend, but was making it known she *really* would prefer to be a pasture puff, TYVM. She wouldn’t stand for Erin to mount – kept swinging away from the mounting block when she’d step up on it. So, we eventually put her in a corner and Erin mounted. Then we walked around (I lead her via a hand on the bridle) and she was again obstinant. She’d walk a few yards, then stop and throw her head up. Then walk a few yards and stop and do the same thing. Ugh. Erin started putting a lot of leg on toward the end, which did keep her going fairly well.

Sunday I rode Gabriel Walk/Trot. I wanted to Canter him, but he was tired after 25 minutes of W/T, so I didn’t want to push it and have him get injured or something. He’s almost 20 and has been barely worked the last 3 years. He needs time to get strong before I even think about trying it.

Erin also got on Rose Sunday. This time, Erin wanted to lunge her with the tack on first. I let Erin do it, but going left Rose kept ducking in and stopping. So, I took over. She tried to do it with me, too, so I got a lunge whip and made her *go dammit* - (when I say forward, you go forward!). Once we got over that hurdle, Erin still wanted to ride her so we stuck her in the corner again and Erin got on. As green horses tend to do sometimes, Rose kind of lost her balance as Erin got on this time and knocked her leg into the mounting block, which scared her. Thankfully she isn’t a spooky horse. She just took a step over and stopped, giving it the hairy eyeball. Erin said Rose was *very* tense, so we just stood there until she finally, dropped her head, blew out, and relaxed. It took about 15 minutes. Then Erin got off and we called it a “win” because Rose stood there like a champ that whole time (she’s a very wiggly horse, so that was awesome of her).

Great weekend for riding, and I feel like Rose is making progress, even if we have to take one step backward for every two steps forward.

I’ll try to catch up with everyone else’s posts later on today. Thanks for letting me post all these huge long stories about my horsey adventures. Obviously, it’s my joy in life.

Button, the ankle is feeling much better, but we are both out of shape! I've been riding, but we ate not to the point I wish we were. We'll have to keep the lesson simple.

Classy, glad you were able to have some good rides. And half a canter is great. Next time you will get both sides. I think you are ready! I'm glad you are getting help with the baby.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Now to catch up with everyone else...

Thank you to everyone for the kind words about teenagers and getting through those years. I really, *really* appreciate it. I feel like the next few years are going to be an uphill battle, but I need to just take a deep breath and try not to let it get to me too much. :-P

Quietann – those photos are *gorgeous*!!! Thank you for sharing!

SuperD – I’ve been thinking of you and Jack. I’m glad to hear he’s so happy, even if he’s upset he isn’t getting fed. Ugh – colic is horrible. I am *so* glad Jack had a guardian angel looking over him that night in the form of that young girl. Kudos to her! As far as getting him to drink, I was going to suggest a very similar thing to what you’ve already done; put some good tasting stuff into hot water to create a “mash” of sorts, then feed that to him. He’ll have to slurp up the water along with the mash. At a Dressage barn I used to work at, they’d do a bran mash supper every Sunday, adding chopped apples and other “goodies” for extra flavor.

Stolen Virtue – Congrats on getting back to riding regularly! YAY! Your muscles will get back into it slowly but surely. What a superstar baby you have! I can’t fault him at all for getting scared by the branch falling – that’s usually a pretty loud noise.

BITSA – Welcome! We’re happy to have you here. I’m so glad you found your way back to horses! Take your time and find *the right* horse for you. You’ll so thank yourself later.

Tiger Horse – Congrats on the amazing lesson! I’m not sure how you could change instructors easily except to do something like Dewey and Event4Life mentioned.

Event4Life – I hope your lesson was awesome!!! Let us know how it went.

ParadoxFarm - Best of luck with your lesson! I know you'll have a great time. And thank you for the words of encouragement with cantering and all. It's my kryptonite, but every good experience I have will help me be less and less afraid of it next time.

Default I am frustrated

I am re riding after about 40 years. I am half leasing a horse and taking lessons once week. I rode a lot and studied dressage. My problem is with my trainer who I clicked with at first and thought this was going to be a great experience but now I am not too sure. I started lessons on Feb 6 and all we have done until a couple weeks ago is practice liberty and if I mentioned riding the trainer got upset. Weekend before last my leg started hurting so she said I have to ride. Last week my lesson consisted of half hour tacking up the horse and having her work horse at liberty. Next half hour I rode around arena but she pulled me in the center to explain stuff to me. Total riding time about 20 minutes. She told me last week the saddle is too small and she wants me to buy some slimming underware like a girdle. She said everyone wants stuff to happen now!! I am frustrated cause I can't ride horse unless she supervises and I have nothing to practice. I don't want to fight with her cause I dont want to burn bridges. Is this kind of stuff normal for lessons nowdays?

Welcome, zacdos. Personally, I think your trainer is moving way too slow. Yes, it takes time to learn the proper way to do things, but you are paying for riding lessons, not tack up and liberty lessons. I honestly would look for a new trainer if at all possible. I know it may be difficult with your lease situation. The other alternative is to sit down with your trainer and have a heart to heart with her. I have a feeling, though, that she is stuck in her ways from what you posted. Good luck and keep us posted.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Classy, I know you will get there when you feel right! . And I think it will come sooner than you think.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde