The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 158 of 360 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168208258 ... LastLast
Results 3,141 to 3,160 of 7195

Hey guys! Sorry I’ve been basically “off the grid” for like a week or more. There are a lot of issues going on at home (a very unhappy 13 year old boy who is acting out), so I’ve been stressed beyond belief and just really have my hands full. I have been popping on and reading, but haven’t had time to respond to everyone or give updates on myself.

Frankly, there hasn’t been a whole lot to update on my end. With the home-life being kind of turbulent right now, my stress level is off the charts so I haven’t done much with the horses until last night ‘cause it wouldn’t be fair to them.

Saturday the farrier came. I don’t know what it is, but Velvet is not a fan of my farrier. She does *not* like mani-pedi time and normally rears multiple times during the session. My friend came out to help hold horses, which I *really* appreciated because of my lack of patience during this stressful time. I held Velvet through the first bit, but I was starting to get annoyed, so I grabbed the chain shank and handed it, and Velvet, to Erin to hold. She did a great job with her. Gabriel practically fell asleep during his trim (as per usual – he’s totally cool with it) and then I had to leave, but Erin reported that Rose was a perfect citizen, too.

Sunday I went out just to visit them. I was feeling way too stressed to do much, so I just went into their pasture and hung out for a while. It was so soothing. They all came over to see me when I walked in. Gabriel just wanted to say, ‘Hi” and get a face scratch, then he went his own way. Rose wanted attention, but was being a little pushy, so I had to shoo her off a little. Velvet wanted attention, too, and it’s almost like she knew Rose was being impolite, so after I shooed Rose a couple of times, she chased Rose off and then Velvet just hung out with me for quite a while. Probably a good 20 or 25 minutes, she just stood with me and interacted (nuzzling, sniffing, nibbling the edge of my coat, whatever). It’s amazing how sometimes they just know you need a friend, and they’re there for you. That really relaxed me and I can’t thank her, or the rest of them enough for that.

I didn’t go back out again until last night when I *finally* felt de-stressed enough to work with them. Gabriel was craving some attention, so I pulled him out first. As I was grooming him, I noticed he’s starting to get white hairs in a streak on his flank through one of his chestnut patches. My boy is getting older. It sucks.

Anyway, I just hand-walked him around the property some, showed him some new things and let him sniff them, did a little groundwork, and by that point he was quite happy. So, I put him away.

Next I took out Rose. I don’t know if it’s Spring Sillies, if she’s going in heat, or if she’s getting to those teenage rebellion years already, but she was really being a little be-otch when I pulled her out of her stall last night. Wouldn’t stand still for the life of her, tried to kick me when I was picking her back foot, shouldered into me more than once – so, we had a Come To Jesus in the aisleway of the barn. It really didn’t take all that much before she realized I meant business. Once I got her brain right, I took her on a tour much like Gabriel, but with more groundwork and a strict *focus on me* attitude. I touched her all over, picked up feet, rubbed her udder, etc, then would walk on. By the end, I took her back inside and she stood in front of her stall ground tied, stock still, just looking at me and waiting. Good girl.

Finally, it was Velvet’s turn. I took her outside to the big ring for the first time, but only to walk around and take it in. I would’ve ridden her out there but it was by moonlight and I didn’t feel comfortable. So, I brought her back to the indoor and was going to hop on bareback with halter and lead ropes. However, the mounting block in there is rather short and I’m not spry, so I couldn’t make it up on her. She stood great for me to try, but I couldn’t lift my leg much past her near hip bone – it wasn’t even getting over her back. So, that was no dice. Oh, well. At least she was an awesome girl, she got lots of rubs and some peppermints, and was quite happy to be tucked in with a pile of hay for the night.

So, last night actually ended up being really great, despite the fact that I didn’t get to ride.

As a side note, I haven’t had any more problems with their turnout since my talk with the BO, so I think those just happened to be two isolated incidents that unfortunately occurred close together. Thank goodness.
    Last edited by ClassyRide; Mar. 22, 2013 at 09:54 AM. Reason: because I can't spell. :-P

Classy, sorry you are having to deal with teen issues. I know that isn't easy. I don't have kids of my own, but I am close to my niece and nephew. My newly teenaged niece is having issues, and just dyed her hair blue and her grades are dropping. I feel bad that I cannot help, but they live in another state. . So I wish you the best with your situation.

Horses can be therapeutic when they want to be, huh? Sounds like last night was just what the doctor ordered, so to speak.

I haven't ridden this week. I was being wimpy in the cold. Boo. And still haven't seen the Appendix. More on that later!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

superD -- I agree with everyone else; your old guy may be perfectly fine for walking and maybe even a little trotting. When I returned to riding, the horse I rode the most was this old TB mare who'd been mostly standing around in her owner's daughter's backyard for years. Minnie was SO happy to have a "person" of her very own again. We did a lot of trail riding, a little dressage, a few tiny jumps before she became too unsound to ride.

Meanwhile, Feronia's doing better but still on what my trainer calls "walkies" -- walk only rides without too much asked of her beyond staying steady in the contact. Here she is in all her hairy glory, in her Micklem bridle yesterday (as a dressage rider, I have more choice of bridles than the hunter people do, but less choice of bits. That's a plain old loose ring KK.)

Meanwhile, I got my local dressage GMO's yearbook and was happily surprised to find our picture in it: at a schooling show. This was last May, her first show off the farm in 2 1/2 years and she was a bit nutty. I couldn't braid her because she Would. Not. Stand. Still. So we got the "Fabio look"
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Aww..quietann, what nice pics. That yearbook picture is wonderful! Do you have that one on your wall, as well? .
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

ClassyRide - I'm sending you magic vibes, prayers, happy thoughts...whatever...for some peace in your house and your barn time. And a big hug as this, too, shall pass. Hopefully sooner, rather than later.

So tonight my young horse Jack colicked. I was at the barn from 4pm-7pm and he was fine. Normal Jack. I got the dreaded call from my trainer at 9pm telling me that one of the kids was still at the barn and thought Jack was colicking. Mostly because he was pawing and circling she also tried to give him a treat which he wouldn't take. She didn't think that was normal so she called my trainer. Can I say what a super star that kid is??? She pulled him out of his stall and preceded to walk him in the outdoor ring in this freezing cold weather till I could get there. ( I live 1/2 hr away). He was super lethargic when I got there with tacky gums elevated heart rate and a temp of 101. The vet came out and declared a right sided impaction with a ton of gas build up. His grain was just fermenting in his stomach. So we tubed him and gave him happy drugs. He was comfy and trying his best to find some scraps of hay in his stall when I finally left.

So now I am armed with the vets personal cell # and lots of instructions and meds.

Of course my trainer is heading to an event for the weekend in the morning so I will be hanging with my boy a lot this weekend. UGH what timing!!!

Can I say how much I love this kid??? What a superstar to notice his very slight behavior change. ( he never rolled or laid down or kicked at his belly)

So if you all could give him some jingles that this is it and all is well from now on that would be great!!

SuperD - wow, what an awesome, wonderful kid, she really is a super star! Sounds like he's feeling better, and I hope he stays that way.

Classy - sorry you're having troubles, I wish there was something I could say to help, but they just have to grow out of it. I'm glad you have your horses to look after you though (because sometimes they really do take care of us too).

Quietann - I love the scooling show pic! The fabio look is working for her, actually IMO it elevates the whole photo, you get a great sense of movement and energy from it that is often lacking in the standard dressage pic.

SuperD keep us posted!! Sending jingles and then some!! And big hugs to the kid - what a great eye on that youngin!

SuperD keep us posted!! Sending jingles and then some!! And big hugs to the kid - what a great eye on that youngin!

Thinking about you and your pony, superD. When this is all over, take that kid out to dinner or something! Keep us posted.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Eep, SuperD. Colic is so scary... Feronia had a not-very-bad gas colic after she got her Tildren last week, and that was bad enough. I hope Jack continues to improve.

ETA: I second, third, and fourth any suggestion to do something special for that barn kid. Maybe a trip to the local tack shop or a gift card?
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Jingles for you superD. Please post updates

Classy ride, I have a 12 year old son. We have had some behavior issues so sorry hope things resolve. It is so hard, my son who won't be 13 until end of May is about 5'7" and still growing, plays ice hockey. The sports help, but he has way more drama amoung his friends than my 15 year old daughter ever had/has. I don't understand it, he is still sweet though, cuddles with the cats and dogs and helps me when I ask.

SuperD=my older guy coliced last fall, the baby the year before sending healing thoughts your way. I hate colic and I seem to deal with it yearly.

I rode today, yah me. I did not ride for long-wow my back at the canter was sore-but the baby was perfect. Two years of training and he is now very much a solid citizen. That is my timeline and both trainers have been great. He is now my guy to ride. I have spring break this week and plan on taking a couple of days off.

My job is changing, I am off the main project I had been working on for the past 3 years. Had a client manager change who does not like California regulations. So an east coast office will take over.......won't change the regulations but he will figure it out someday. So I am back to traveling and working on my own projects, very different. Hope I can still ride....

Happy Spring !

Smile Re rider at 42 with 25 years off, college, law school, 2 kids...

Where did the time go and why do i feel so unfit (sore) in all the wrong places. ??? But i am so happy to be getting back into horses and bringing my daughter (7) with me. It feels great to ride again and i am so happy to find this forum !!! Now i just need to find a great trainer near portland and get a horse and porbably a pony.

Stolen virtue, sounds like you are doing quite well with your baby. Awesome! I bet it feels good to have a good ride like that. And good luck with your "change" in your job. I hope you have plenty of time to ride.

BITSA, welcome! Are you doing any riding now? If you post to the forum at large, or search the archives, I'm sure you will find lots of trainer suggestions in Portland. Take your time looking for the right horse! Taking lessons for a while may help you determine exactly what you want, and more importantly, exactly what you DON'T want.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    Stolen virtue, sounds like you are doing quite well with your baby. Awesome! I bet it feels good to have a good ride like that. And good luck with your "change" in your job. I hope you have plenty of time to ride.

BITSA, welcome! Are you doing any riding now? If you post to the forum at large, or search the archives, I'm sure you will find lots of trainer suggestions in Portland. Take your time looking for the right horse! Taking lessons for a while may help you determine exactly what you want, and more importantly, exactly what you DON'T want.
    Thanks so much, I have started lessons and am looking for a trainer. My 7 daughter is also taking lessons (we are both at a riding school right now). I've gone for lessons at two places and have 1 -2 more to go. I really like the trainer I met today (haven't lessoned with her yet, but I watched one of hers today and spent time talking with her).

I was really happy to find this re-rider group!

SuperD-Hope all is well with Jack.

I rode today also, not as good of a ride. He blew up at a branch coming off a tree and then was very spooky in that area. I did not come off, yah ! (almost did) I still had a nice time riding, he is really a fun easy horse to ride. I am happy to have a horse to ride again, whew, it was a two year wait.

The other thing that was not fun is having people tear your horse apart when they are having some issues be it training, physical or emotional. I learned alot about growth spurts, saddle fit, baby tantrums, and horse socialization. Nothing like a new young horse to make you feel stupid but learning is always a good thing. I think he is trusting me a bit I was able to get him through the scary area today.

Hope everyone had some horse time this weekend.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks everyone for your well wishes.

Jack had his second visit this weekend from the vet today. He is still not drinking and he finally had a smallish BM right before the vet arrived. No sign of any of the oil passing yet. Upon her exam he was still impacted slightly and very gassy. he was also dehydrated some. So he got a second dose of oil, fluids with electrolytes and some pain meds. If there is still no improvement by tomrrow night/ Tuesday then off to the clinic he goes. UGH this sucks.

On the other hand my old man was having the melt down of all melt downs during both of Jacks vet visits!! He had pulled all his blankets off his door and threw them all over the place. He brought one into his stall and proceeded to stomp on it. His halter was also flung down the isle and finally he got his name plate off his door. He is such a spoiled brat!!!

I hope everyone else had a better horsey weekend than I did!!!!

SuperD, sorry you are not quite out of the woods. It is hard to get them drinking with all of the hydration from the tubing. Sending more healing thoughts out to you and your boy.

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    Eep, SuperD. Colic is so scary. I hope Jack continues to improve.

ETA: I second, third, and fourth any suggestion to do something special for that barn kid. Maybe a trip to the local tack shop or a gift card?
    Ditto! Just say your update - jingles for Jack and you!
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy