The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 157 of 343 FirstFirst ... 57107147155156157158159167207257 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,140 of 6845

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    A few of you asked about my potential Appendix. Nothing yet. I just talked to my trainer today. He has been out of town. He will call me and the seller tomorrow to try to arrange a time that all three of us can make. Fingers crossed it is this week, but trainer is leaving town again Thursday. If not this week, it will be the 30th when I have my lesson. In the meantime, as of yesterday Chico is alone. Poor baby. But he's fine, really. My friend picked her horse up yesterday (to sell) so we're on our own. We spent a lot of time with him yesterday though. Probably more than he wanted -- DH body clipped him for me! He desperately needed it.
    Good luck Paradox - I sure do admire your patience!
    Last edited by Tiger Horse; Mar. 18, 2013 at 03:35 PM. Reason: spelling
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Thanks, Tiger Horse. I'm trying. . We sold our second horse over two months ago. I really thought I would have had a new one by now. I guess the right one will come my way when the time is right. Let's just hope this Appendix mare is the right one!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Gool luck Paradox, and when you get the timing worked out pics please!

Oh, for sure! Love sharing pics.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Dewey I'm sorry to hear about the little QH. When my lease horse was sold (not the same thing I know), I was so sad. I understand how you must feel at the very least, though it's not the same. I guess take heart in knowing your trainer is trying to show the horse off to get as many inquiries as possible, so there's a better chance of a good home?

Paradox, good luck! Keep us updated with the Appendix. How exciting, eeee!

Classyride, I hope the barn situation gets better for you soon. Hopefully it's just a fluke and things will be smoother from now on.

Hope the weather is getting better for everyone! I check in and read about everyone every week but it's hard to post so often.

Bug is doing so much better! The wound is almost closed -- maybe in a week?
    We had some good schooling. It will be better when the wound is closed and he can finally be turned out like a normal horse. He bucked 4 times in the roundpen today! Poor guy. He loves the pampering though.
    We had a long lesson today. Trot poles and haunches in to figure out better self-awareness, then when he's ready, some small jumps. He can figure it on his own about 1/3 of the time, but we're trying to go for that "click" where he gets it 2/3 or more. My biggest challenge is his greenness -- his attention span is shorter than the average horse, and trying to challenge him but not confuse him is hard. My trainer is amazing and is right there telling me when I should ask for more and when what I'm doing is appropriate, but sometimes I wish I knew intuitively...then hoping I can get the same out of him when I ride alone.

There's a big show coming up I wish I could do but I can't with my schedule, so my target is in mid-May. It's a USEF "C" rated show, however, so I have to register and pick a name! Eeeee. It's challenging!

Your reward for reading: Pics!
    Fancy Pony!
    Trot Poles
    Trying to control this hind end ain't easy
    Trot poles! (How come rising at the post is so unattractive?)

Finzean don't feel bad about weather whining. Misery loves company . More snow and freezing rain on the way.

Dewey, no words of wisdom but sending you lots of frozen hugs.

Pancakes the pics of Bug are lovely. And you need to do equitation classes when you start showing you look great!

6 weeks til show season starts and still a couple of feet of snow on the ground. Everyone is so sick of riding around in circles in the indoor. Going to buy my horse one of those lights for seasonal affective disorder. Maybe he will share it with me...

1 members found this post helpful.

Well the past few days or so have been riddled with snow/sleet/hail and rain. I have not ridden at all since last week. I really hate this month!!!! Come on spring!!!!

Anyway today I went over the plans for Jack as far as competitions go. My trainer competes him and I have a blast watching my boy rock!! We went over to the dark side from Hunters. He LOVES eventing. I think his favorite XC jump is the water, he is so funny. We are shooting for a starter trail at the end of April and going BN with a move up to Novice in May if all goes well.
    He is still so green but way too athletic. BN is too easy for him so he doesn't really try. I am so excited to get him back out there!!

As for my older guy. He has been retired for a year now and I just keep thinking he is too young still ( turning 19 next month) to just sit around. But everytime I try to bring him back he doesn't stay sound.. He doesn't owe me anything but on the other hand how can you tell if he is happy??? He seems so to me anyway, but will stand at the gate and watch me work with Jack instead of grazing with his buddies.

Anyway sorry about the lease horse Dewey, that's always hard!!

Good luck Paradox with checking out the appendix!!

Well, everyone, I feel very foolish. I didn't post last night because I was so embarrassed.

My little QH buddy is home again safe and sound. He went to the show as a temporary lease for a girl whose pony was lame--a possibility I never considered in my panic attack. He was a very good boy and was champion in his division one of the two days. (I think it was crossbars? Something I never showed him in.)

I had worked myself into a state on the way to the barn. Much to my relief, there he was, as cute as ever, his head hanging over the stall door, looking for a treat from me. I ran into a girl who had gone to the show, and she asked, "How are you?" I told her about my anxiety, and she said, "What were you worried about? He was a star at the show!" I said, "Then he's not for sale?" And she looked at me as if I had two heads.

I still haven't talked to the trainer about this as she was busy with lessons and always had other people around. But I will. I need to ask her to warn me if he does go on the market, so I don't get an ulcer not knowing. But the situation seems safe for now.

I am so sorry I worried everyone. And the next time I go to the barn, I am going to ride my little buddy.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

1 members found this post helpful.

Good news, Dewey!! Now you need to make it your mission to find some child to lease him on site so he won't go away...except to be a star at shows.

You're right, Finzean. I had thought his regular rider was leasing him, but now I am not so sure. I know the family is on a very tight budget.

Every time the trainer takes him somewhere without me (e.g. IEA show), I worry that he's not coming back. She told me early on that she had gotten offers for him at an IEA show. He really is adorable, and everyone loves riding him.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

SuperD, your horse sounds awesome. Be sure to take pics of him going XC this show year! Maybe your retiree would like to just be semi retired. Take him for walk rides! Trail rides, maybe? Chico is 19 this year, too. I've been blessed with a really sound horse, so I know I am lucky. I figure he will tell me when he is no longer enjoying his work.

Dewey, no need to apologize. . But you have an excellent idea in having the trainer tell you ahead of time if she is seriously marketing him. Maybe since everyone loves him she will just keep him around for her little riders. And by all means, ride him if you can! (Pics, of course!)

Still didn't get to see appendix. Waiting for trainer to call me back. Sigh. Probably will be the 30th.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

He is extremely useful to her, and that is my trump card. She coaches our college IHSA team and teaches PE classes for our local college as well, so he is used every day and is often shown by one of the college girls in our local circuit. His regular rider shows him in our 2'9" medal classes and usually wins, so he is really versatile. The trainer has often said that if he were just a few inches shorter or taller, he would be worth really big bucks.

This is from an early show:

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/z...nan_r_3613.jpg

This is with DD aboard, early in his training:

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/z...uniorandJD.jpg

Here's a jumping pic, not great:

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/z...scamera563.jpg

Here he is with his regular rider:

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/z...pscfe9a787.jpg

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/z...pscc240a68.jpg

Sorry, this is going to be a very quick reply. I just wanted to talk to SuperD about my own retiree.

Gabriel will be 20 in two weeks. He's been retired-ish since 16 or 17 because of on and off lameness issues. But I've found him (so far, at least) to be sound for Walk/Trot work. I don't know about your guy, but mine just *loves* to work, so it was detrimental to him when I tried to completely retire him. I've been keeping him in "work" by just putzing around on him once or twice a week. Sometimes I don't even ride him - I'll do creative groundwork stuff. Anything to keep his mind engaged and feeling like he has a job.

Your guy may be different and not need to have a job. But if he is one who likes to work, you can do all kinds of stuff to keep his mind engaged. Even stuff like trick training.

Either way, I'm sure he's quite happy and well taken care of with you as his "mom" so I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Dewey, I can see why you are attached. What a cutey!!! Thanks for sharing those pictures. Love him.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Pancakes - lovely photos!

HazelG - before heading to WDW for spring break, I splurged and hit the tanning booth - what a treat and it does do wonders for the gray days . . . shame on me, I am going to keep going once a week.

superD - How fun!

Dewey - what a cutie!!

On a sad note, my trainer has had a rough two weeks - lost her barn dog last week to some kind of intestinal issue and then Monday morning lost one of her horses (one of our beloved schoolies) in a paddock accident. He was every little girl's dream - a grey TB with a heart of gold. Playing with his turnout mate, either got kicked, or came down wrong, and shattered a leg. He was older (in his early twenties) and had just finished up a great show season this past fall. RIP Louie, you will be greatly missed.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Classyride, Thanks! I know he loved showing and does seem to miss it. He was the perfect hunter!!! Lately I have been free lunging him in the outdoor ring. I just let him do what he feels like for as long as he feels like it. He does seem happier.

It just kills me that he is starting to look old by means of his back is dropping. His coat is gleaming still and hopefully his dapples are somewhere under all that hair!!! But thanks for the advice. I may just take him for walks around.

Dewey so glad your little buddy is home and happily in his stall. He is adorable

Paradox, thanks he is a lot of fun and just so easy going!!

Tiger horse, I'm sorry for all the loss. It is 1 of the worst parts of having these wonderful fur babies. I lost both my cat and dog within weeks of each other and I miss them terribly.

One day I will figure out how to post pictures.......

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    I am sick over all this. I have no control over anything as he is not my horse.
    I live in fear of the mare I half-lease being sold. I love her more than any horse I have ever ridden, but I know I could not afford her asking price. Right now she is earning her keep, but that is only because of my lease, and 2 girls who take lessons on her once per week each. One of those girls is currently horse shopping (though Milly is not what she wants), so could be in trouble soon. I hate that she could go any time. Last summer at a schooling show at my barn a woman really liked her, but didn't like her after riding her twice I guess it's kind of good that Milly is a brat with new riders!

Millysgirl, you half leasing the horse probably makes selling her less attractive. She is earning an income already! Good luck.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Pancakes, I think your pics are lovely. You two look wonderful together. You'll be glad for all the pics someday after he turns white, because you won't believe how dark he was!

SuperD, I am following your progress with Jack with interest. (Every time I see the name, I feel a pang because DD and I lost our "Gentleman Jack" a short while ago. ) I used to event back in the day. I ride at an H/J barn now because that is what is near me, but I used to do Pony Club and horse trials when I was young. I don't understand the levels now. Back in the day, I remember Pre-Training, Training, Preliminary, Intermediate, and Advanced. It sounds as if there are a lot more now--maybe you can explain them to me.

I think you have gotten good advice for your older guy. Attention of any kind is probably what he craves; I like the idea of walking rides and teaching him tricks.

Tiger Horse, I am so sorry to hear what your coach is going through. It is really awful that she has lost two dear ones so close together. My coach confided to me the other day that she has made the decision to put down one of her beloved schoolies, and today is the day. He has been suffering from seizures, and they are getting more frequent, scary, and dangerous. No diagnosis was ever reached. She told me she was going to buy him a big bag of carrots that night. I sure hope he enjoyed them. I hope it is all over by the time I get there this afternoon.

Dewey, when I found out what his JC name was ( Jacks Full) I thought it was fate. My grandfather (who passed a few years ago) is Jack!! The people I bought him from were calling him Meathead. Terrible I know. So sorry about your horse, it's the worst part of owning them.

Now the levels of eventing are- elementary which is tiny around 18", then there is beginner novice which is 2', Novice which is I think 2'4" or 2'7", Training this is where I get messed up I think is 3' 2", going from Training to Prelim is the biggest jump 3'7" , intermediate is 3' 11" and Advanced 4' something.
    Not all events have the Elementary level.
    I may be wrong about the heights. but the order is
    Beginner novice- BN- they have BN horse or BN rider divisions at most events.
    Novice- N - same
    Training- TR- you have to qualify to move up to prelim
    Prelim
    Intermediate
    Advanced

So far we are having a blast and i think Jack is enjoying also. He is a huge 16.3 OTTB who really looks like a WB. I have had people argue with me that they don't think he is a OTTB. Even after they see his tattoo!!!!