The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 156 of 358 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156157158166206256 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,120 of 7141

Dewey your pictures are beautiful.

Tiger Horse glad you had a good break.

Still snowy and cold up here. I think we will have snow until August this year

Love that mare, Dewey! Those knees!!!

I feel like all I do is whine about weather when it really hasn't been too bad around here lately. Spring is fickle, that's for sure, though, and today we are back to blech! Cold and rainy outside. Did I mention I don't really do cold & rainy??? I'm going to spend a little more time looking at Dewey's photos (taken on a sunny day!) and see if I can't convince myself to quit being whiny over the weather. I swear I really do think I have the SAD disorder...

Paradox- news on new critter??

Button - welcome!! Back in the day when I was riding a Sherman tank who knew better than anyone that stadium jumps fell down, I got my jumping legs back over natural obstacles. My boy didn't care if he pulled rails when I first got him and hearing a hard rap or a rail come down did a number on me. I used to get worried about anything over a cross rail b/c I was sure something crash & burn was going to happen. Did nothing good for my psyche or riding. We were very fortunate to have access to 100s of acres of old hunt territory and farms built around it with TONS of natural obstacles of all sizes. Funny how big logs don't look that big next to big trees still standing up. And ditches aren't that scary either when they just look natural. I got to riding better, horse was much happier and when we headed back to the ring, the issue with being "lazy" o/f was just gone. It sounds stupid to take a horse that's pulling rails and jump them over things that don't fall down but I swear he never touched a thing out in the fields & woods. He knew....naughty little bugger!!

Tiger Horse - migraines are the worst & this weather seems to make them more common place for me. I've been having the several days won't go away, instead of severe/to the ER, then loose 3 days b/c of meds. But they still shut things down. feel better! So glad you & DD enjoyed some time together...need to do some bonding w/my own DD over something not horse related...

Tarheel - wrist update??

HazelG - just saw your post about snow. I now feel completely horrible about weather whining.

Prayers for spring to hurry on her way to you & yours in the great white north! Ugh - winter!!!

Dewey, she actually looks a lot bigger!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes, that's because I am only 5 feet tall! I think she is actually a little big for me. My ideal size is 15.1-15.2.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Ah...now it all makes sense! . FWIW, I think you make a nice pair.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Thanks, Paradox. Let us know you what happens with the appendix you are looking at.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    Dewey, she actually looks a lot bigger!
    Agreed!! I thought she was another Amazon from the photos!

Well, everyone, I was going to wait to post about this, but I am so worked up and anxious that I have to unload. Awhile ago, I posted this:

"I'm really bummed about a remark my trainer tossed out yesterday. She and I were watching one of her riders take a little QH around the course, practicing for the show, and as usual, he was being a very good boy, showing off his cute jump and perfect lead changes. This is a horse I trained and showed for three years and who was my regular mount before Sky. I take a lot of pride in him as he was an extremely green five-year-old when I started riding him. I taught him how to jump and do his changes, etc. He's smart and fun, and I love him dearly. My coach has told me many times what a beautiful job I did training him. Since then, he has been a very useful horse, doing lessons and IEA and IHSA shows.

Anyway, we were watching him go round, and the coach remarked, "Dang, I really need to sell him as he is worth some serious money." My heart fell into my boots. The little girl who was riding him is leasing him, and I know she, too, would be heartbroken. She is cleaning up on the local circuit, and I know she adores him.

I can't decide if that was a throw-away remark or not. Frankly, I need to ask her, so I can start preparing myself emotionally.
    "

Well, I never could bring myself to ask, and now I am kicking myself. The trainer took a bunch of horses and riders to Charleston this weekend--no big deal--that happens all the time. However, when I was at the barn yesterday tacking up, one of the barn workers remarked to me casually if I knew why the little QH had gone to Charleston, as his regular rider does not show that circuit (too expensive). I was very puzzled but soon began to fear that the trainer had taken him to try to sell. I began to put things together. I knew she had taken one of her regular riders sans mount "to try to get some catch rides"--what if she went along to show the little QH? Also, I have noticed to my puzzlement that the trainer has been putting the QH's regular rider on another horse frequently during lessons--what if that is in preparation to selling him?

I am sick over all this. I have no control over anything as he is not my horse. I am just venting, and it may be a tempest in a teapot: I may go to the barn tomorrow and find him in his stall just as usual.

Aww..I know this must be difficult! Stinks when you have no control. Does the girl currently riding him have a written lease agreement on him? Any way you can buy him back? Then you can lease him out? Just trying to think of something. No easy ansers. I am sorry.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I don't know what the details of the lease are. I'm afraid the asking price may be beyond my ability to pay...and DH would have a fit. I think the trainer would love to keep him, but she may be selling because he's worth a good bit and she probably needs the money. I know a few months ago she tried to sell a nice warmblood mare she has but got no takers. She did the same thing--took her to some of the bigger shows she regularly takes riders to (not A shows--maybe B or C?) and hired a pro to show her.

I could inquire about the lease. I am afraid my emotions are getting the better of me. I appreciate your concern, Paradox.

Tough situation Dewey - ((hugs)).
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post

Tiger Horse - migraines are the worst & this weather seems to make them more common place for me. I've been having the several days won't go away, instead of severe/to the ER, then loose 3 days b/c of meds. But they still shut things down. feel better! So glad you & DD enjoyed some time together...need to do some bonding w/my own DD over something not horse related...
    Sorry to hear you also suffer from migraines. My boss saw me taking some meds on Friday and asked if I was OK - I said, "as long as I can stand up and not throw up - I'll be here!" He was shocked - folks who don't get them have no idea and it's amazing what you can learn to live with headache wise. Hope you and DD get some time together.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Button welcome!! I know all about fear issues!!!!! I have finally decided that I am no longer going to suffer from the fear of jumping. My trainer is going to compete my big guy and I will just keep schooling him on the flat and take him for his conditioning rides. ( I am a hunter now posing as an eventer .) Problem is now solved and I have no more anxiety.

Dewey- Sky is gorgeous!! Good luck with future shows with her!!!!

Tiger Horse- Glad you had a nice spring break with your kiddo and welcome back to the grind.

Dewey - Sorry to say it but it does appear that she's trying to sell him. IMO there's no other reason to take him out to a big show and hire a pro other than to get him better exposure to a wider market. If I was a trainer, I wouldn't be reaching into my own pocket just to get him more mileage unless I thought that investment was going to be paid back (and soon). And if I was just getting him mileage I would be trying to get the same for my student, not hiring an already experienced pro. You have every right to be proud of your work with him, it takes a lot of skill to bring along a youngster correctly. Just remember she's got to make a living too, and I suspect at the price she'll ask for him he'll be going to a home where he's appreciated an well cared for. That said, it never hurts to ask, and I bet you'd be able to negotiate his price a lot lower than anyone else could.

Finzean - I swear it's like they know when they can get away with being lazy! I think any animal smart enough to hold it's breath when its girth is being tightened is also smart enough to screw with us at will.

A few of you asked about my potential Appendix. Nothing yet. I just talked to my trainer today. He has been out of town. He will call me and the seller tomorrow to try to arrange a time that all three of us can make. Fingers crossed it is this week, but trainer is leaving town again Thursday. If not this week, it will be the 30th when I have my lesson. In the meantime, as of yesterday Chico is alone. Poor baby. But he's fine, really. My friend picked her horse up yesterday (to sell) so we're on our own. We spent a lot of time with him yesterday though. Probably more than he wanted -- DH body clipped him for me! He desperately needed it.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Button, that is what I am telling myself. If he is going to be sold at a good price, he will undoubtedly be well cared for. I have been mulling over possible plans to make buying him feasible for me, but I just think it would be an emotional decision and not really that smart. You're right: I could probably negotiate the price down because the trainer would still get to use him (and he gets used all the time in lessons and shows), but would that be smart? How many people buy an expensive animal that they themselves don't have time to ride? And in ten years or so when he's ready to retire, what do I do then? I don't own property with pasture.

I haven't totally given up hope, but...

Dewey, you're probably right. If your gut is saying let him go, then you probably need to listen. Our hearts are the tricky ones. When I sell a horse, I usually prefer it to be out of state. I don't like to see them around. It makes me sad.

And who knows, maybe your trainer will not get what she wants for him, and he'll be around for a long time. That's what I'm hoping for. Fingers are crossed.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I will keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Button View Post
    Finzean - I swear it's like they know when they can get away with being lazy! I think any animal smart enough to hold it's breath when its girth is being tightened is also smart enough to screw with us at will.
    Thanks for the much needed chuckle!

1 members found this post helpful.