The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 155 of 401 FirstFirst ... 55105145153154155156157165205255 ... LastLast
Results 3,081 to 3,100 of 8006

Quick check in: 50 with wind today. Amazon WOUND up! Amazon did a little impression of a rodeo horse and this old lady sat up & back and kicked her out in front of her leg! A win for Age & Treachery - LOL. Then we trotted 20m circles (to the left - I know wrong way if one is trying to fix track right but I was basking in the aftermath of the rodeo display and just thrilled to be on the horse! Hahaha

Then we went on a short hack with Pig Pen and the Bumper Car mare. Bumper Car settles the Amazon down but Pig Pen the medium pony says its not fair he's expected to keep up with the Amazon and not trot. His Kid did not agree and reports that her teeth might all be loose from his trotting and her discouraging it. Haha.

A good day; a very good day.

Jaslyn mucho congrats on the job! And well wishes for your dad.

Solid - I'm excited for pictures too!

Will go back and re-read tmrw when I'm more awake.

ParadoxFarm – Good luck with your new horsey lead! I hope it works out and you get a honey! :-D I’ve known some absolutely awesome Appendix horses. I can’t wait to hear how this turns out!

Soloudinhere – EEEEEEE!!!! Pictures, pictures!!!! I am SO happy for you!!! I’ll bet she’s going to fatten up to be a real beauty. <3

Button – Welcome! And congratulations on finding your way back to the world of equines and the crazy people who love them. ;-) Please try never to get down on yourself for any fears you may have – I think all of us “mature” individuals have them. I *know* I do. One of my major fears is falling off at the canter depart. Once I’m in the canter, I’m usually (but not always) fine. I’m learning to conquer it one day at a time. I never expect it to completely go away, but it gets less and less each time I have a good experience. And that’s a good thing.

Finzean – How tall is the Amazon again? Isn’t she something near 17 hands? Wow – I give you some *major* props for sitting tall and riding out her Rodeo Horse Try-Outs! Way to cowgirl up. Ride it like you stole it, girl! LOL

…..I have a vent today. Now that I have my horses close, I try to get out to see them twice during the work week, then at least 1 weekend day. So, 3 or 4 times a week. I’d prefer to see them everyday, but can’t, so when I do get out there I want to be able to spend time with them and work with them.

So, I just moved to this barn, what, 3 or 4 weeks ago? I went out this past Sunday; got there about noon; and my horses were still in their stalls??? It was a *beautiful* day out – there was no reason for them to be in. So, I stuck them out myself and then questioned BO when I saw him Tuesday evening. He apologized – he was out of town that day and he texted his friend to go out and turn everyone out. Apparently, his friend never got the text. So, all the full-care boarders’ horses didn’t get turned out. I let that one go – hey, I’ve had text messages disappear into thin air before. Whatever.

But then last night I get there at 5pm and my horses were in their stalls again – wtf???? And I could tell they hadn’t been out – all 3 were amped up and whinnying and wanting out. I called BO and got his voicemail. Asked if anything was wrong and why my horses were inside *again* (I think I was polite about it, but was very PO’d so I made a point of saying “again”). I got a text back. He’s at a wedding; he’s SO sorry; his brother must’ve forgotten to put them out; it’ll never happen again.

So, 2 out of the last 5 days my horses were not turned out by the barn staff. Last night it was so late that it wouldn’t have done any good to turn them out. I hayed and watered them (more fuel to my fire – baby Rose’s water was all but dry and nobody had hay, so they probably didn’t have any most of the day), fed them supper, and kindly but firmly texted BO back to tell him I’d fed them and that I’d appreciate it if it’ll never happen again because one of the big reasons I brought them there was for the ample turn-out.

So, yeah – I didn’t get to do anything really last night. Little Rose was probably the most amped of the 3, so I took her on a short hand-walk (probably only 4 minutes) into the outdoor arena and back to try to get out some of her energy. Though she wanted to blast off, she surprised me at how polite she was. I still felt like I was flying a kite, though, with her jigging beside me as we walked, so I put her back before something bad happened.

Ugh!!!! I was so livid!!! And I’m still upset. I just hope it really doesn’t happen again. This is 2 strikes now. If it happens a 3rd time, I’m out.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassyRide View Post
    ParadoxFarm – Good luck with your new horsey lead! I hope it works out and you get a honey! :-D I’ve known some absolutely awesome Appendix horses. I can’t wait to hear how this turns out!

Soloudinhere – EEEEEEE!!!! Pictures, pictures!!!! I am SO happy for you!!! I’ll bet she’s going to fatten up to be a real beauty. <3

Button – Welcome! And congratulations on finding your way back to the world of equines and the crazy people who love them. ;-) Please try never to get down on yourself for any fears you may have – I think all of us “mature” individuals have them. I *know* I do. One of my major fears is falling off at the canter depart. Once I’m in the canter, I’m usually (but not always) fine. I’m learning to conquer it one day at a time. I never expect it to completely go away, but it gets less and less each time I have a good experience. And that’s a good thing.

Finzean – How tall is the Amazon again? Isn’t she something near 17 hands? Wow – I give you some *major* props for sitting tall and riding out her Rodeo Horse Try-Outs! Way to cowgirl up. Ride it like you stole it, girl! LOL

…..I have a vent today. Now that I have my horses close, I try to get out to see them twice during the work week, then at least 1 weekend day. So, 3 or 4 times a week. I’d prefer to see them everyday, but can’t, so when I do get out there I want to be able to spend time with them and work with them.

So, I just moved to this barn, what, 3 or 4 weeks ago? I went out this past Sunday; got there about noon; and my horses were still in their stalls??? It was a *beautiful* day out – there was no reason for them to be in. So, I stuck them out myself and then questioned BO when I saw him Tuesday evening. He apologized – he was out of town that day and he texted his friend to go out and turn everyone out. Apparently, his friend never got the text. So, all the full-care boarders’ horses didn’t get turned out. I let that one go – hey, I’ve had text messages disappear into thin air before. Whatever.

But then last night I get there at 5pm and my horses were in their stalls again – wtf???? And I could tell they hadn’t been out – all 3 were amped up and whinnying and wanting out. I called BO and got his voicemail. Asked if anything was wrong and why my horses were inside *again* (I think I was polite about it, but was very PO’d so I made a point of saying “again”). I got a text back. He’s at a wedding; he’s SO sorry; his brother must’ve forgotten to put them out; it’ll never happen again.

So, 2 out of the last 5 days my horses were not turned out by the barn staff. Last night it was so late that it wouldn’t have done any good to turn them out. I hayed and watered them (more fuel to my fire – baby Rose’s water was all but dry and nobody had hay, so they probably didn’t have any most of the day), fed them supper, and kindly but firmly texted BO back to tell him I’d fed them and that I’d appreciate it if it’ll never happen again because one of the big reasons I brought them there was for the ample turn-out.

So, yeah – I didn’t get to do anything really last night. Little Rose was probably the most amped of the 3, so I took her on a short hand-walk (probably only 4 minutes) into the outdoor arena and back to try to get out some of her energy. Though she wanted to blast off, she surprised me at how polite she was. I still felt like I was flying a kite, though, with her jigging beside me as we walked, so I put her back before something bad happened.

Ugh!!!! I was so livid!!! And I’m still upset. I just hope it really doesn’t happen again. This is 2 strikes now. If it happens a 3rd time, I’m out.
    This is why I'm glad to have mine at home and have a number I can handle on my own for the most part. We had a "boarder" one time who rode with an Olympian - she came w/GREAT references and the deal was she would work off her board. Too bad the work part of the transaction seemed to elude her. I never asked her to do much as she was a college student and made it super easy for her when she was supposed to do something. BUT whenever she was supposed to turn out or whatever, I'd get a call from a boarder telling me horses were still in and unfed at 1pm, etc. THIS CRAP is why I think so many folks have medical issues w/their critters - bad management. OK - now MY rant is over!

The Amazon is 17hh and wears an 84". And she has a very, very busy brain!! LOL

Paradox - There's a 16.3 TB gelding near me - currently cruising around 2'6" courses but a good jumper and could do more, cute mover - looks uncomplicated, pretty but plain bay. I think he's 6 or 9 (yay dyslexia w/numbers) and they are asking $4800. IDK the folks who have him - I'll send you the info if I can find it again. It's a haul from here to there and IDK how hard core you are in your search but when I read that I thought of the bay gelding.

Event4Life - are you around? With this weather, I'm imagining you cantering along the banks of the Cape Fear as the salt air gently lifts the horse's mane and sea birds wheel and turn overhead!! LOL

Wow, I would be livid. I mean I get that people have lives to live, but the BO has an obligation to make sure everything is covered if he's going to be away. Hopefully it's just a fluke and not a pattern.

Thanks for the pep talk too. I'm getting better every day, I've come off a few times since starting there and it's almost like I'm surprised that I'm not hurt each time. I think it's starting to dawn on me that falling off is not the end of the world, especially when I land on my feet half the time.

Great updates, ClassyRide! Very exciting developments. I would be super PO'd about the turn out screw ups, but they do happen occasionally. Hopefully this isn't going to be the norm at this new place, otherwise you'll have a problem on your hands.

And soloudinhere - can't wait to see pictures of your new equine child!

I am at the orthopedist right now, because I think I sprained my wrist moving a big bag of mulch in my yard on Tuesday. But it feels OK with the compression bandage from CVS on it, so planning to ride this weekend regardless of what the doctor says. It is going to be in the 70s both days, and my trainer says he has been very good all week, so we should have great rides Saturday and Sunday.

Has anyone ever used the SmartPak supplement that provides support for your horse when traveling to shows? I am wondering if it is worth giving it a shot. Some of the reviews indicate it helped their horses settle in quicker after the trip to the show grounds.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Tarheel--sorry to hear about the wrist. Hope it's nothing serious. I guess we both had wild show experiences, didn't we? I know nothing about the supplement you're talking about. What's in it? After reading all the threads about drugging and calming agents on the forums, I'd be very cautious about anything like that. But I'd like to know more.

Finzean, good luck with the new business. I love hearing about the Amazon. What a character!

bumknees--hang in there. I can't imagine what it is like to have a loved one in the military. Any news about Toby?

Jaslyn--CONGRATS on the new job! What a relief that must be. I'm sorry you had to give up Finn, but at least you know he'll be in good hands. Even though you were prepared, I'm sure that is not easy.

Paradox--hope the Appendix works out. I don't know if you remember, but Sky is an Appendix.

SuperD--glad you got to ride! So, your horse is named Jack? My DD's heart horse was named Jack. We lost him recently. I'm very partial to the name.

CR--CONGRATS on Rose's progress and on your cantering! How exciting!!! So sorry your new place has let you down. I really hope that's an anomaly and not what you can expect. Do you have a good alternative if you end up moving again?

CONGRATS, soloudinhere, on your new horse! Can't wait to see a picture and hear all about her!

Welcome, Button! Several reriders here are the victims of bad falls, so you are not alone. You'll find that this is a great confidence-building support group. I'm glad you found your way here.

Any news on Feronia, quietann?

Pancakes, how is Bug doing?

I am in the process of purchasing a few pics from the last show--will post them when I get them.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Sounds like most people are doing well. Every ride I have, which this winter has not been a lot, seem to get better but every once in a while I feel very nervous when I am riding. He has never given me reason to believe that he will do anything but it is me.
    What is so nice is when I get it right he responds with a huge answer. either he frames up and rounds underneath me or I get the turns more like a train and not a motorcycle. YEAH me! I know these are simple things but they mean so much to me...
    He also has been wonderful with my daughter. He goes around like a little lesson pony with her.. I swear he knows there is a novice up there.
    When I think back many years to all the things we did as kids and were fearless I wish I had that nerve all over again...
    We will get there and I only have to be able to ride MY horse not anyone else's... Some people say you should ride lots of horses well I do not have the time or the desire.
    Will let you know how things progress as I have hope that our weather will get better sometime soon... Is it spring yet? I am so tired of winter.....
    Hope everyone is well and riding their ponies...
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Dewey: this is what I was referencing this morning:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/smarts...martPak-_-8911

I would not consider giving him anything with a sedative effect, but this seems as if it focuses on gastric health, electrolytes, etc.

The wrist is just a sprain. I pulled the ligament that controls rotating it. It should take about 4 weeks to heal. But with the brace thing on, I don't see why I can't ride. Of course, I did not ask about riding. This way, I am not ignoring the doctor's advice!
    Last edited by TarheelJD; Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Add info
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Oh man, got a great reality check today at my lesson. I'm riding with the eq trainer for the next few weeks while the jumper crew is off at a show. She's very nice about my past so she leaves the rails at basically x-rail height while we're working on form. When we went out today some of the jumps were set higher from whoever was out last, but I was feeling brave so we left them up (jumps with TWO rails! ). I had a nice lesson, did some scary lines with my eyes closed, good day. At the end, feeling all proud of myself, I asked how high they were thinking they were 2'3", but no, 18" with tape measure. This was 45 minutes after our talk of "what is my goal?" Which I answered with low a/o jumpers I think I've got a LONG way to go lol

1 members found this post helpful.

Welcome aboard, Button! Yep it amazing what a stupid little tape measure can do to one's ego. I've had it happen enough times that I keep a tape measure in my tack box. Even so, congratulations on moving up! If you mentally jumped 2'3" and were just fine with it, you can do it for real.

My horse is currently (for the split second) doing great. Breathing fine, and not lame. In our Tuesday lesson we did our first jumps on a circle in 18 months. Circle of Death to the left and to the right. We nailed everything to the left (his good direction) and we have to work on the right. Needs strengthening an bending exercises. Trainer rode him Thursday and did a 2'6" course with him and we have good lead changes both ways. That means the lame right foot is all better for sure and totally off his radar screen. I don't think he remembers his right foot used to hurt. Anyway, he's acting like nothing ever happened. Very happy to be jumping again. Have a lesson tomorrow morning, and hope we can dodge the rain that's in the forecast.

Dewey and Tarheel...sorry you both had less than stellar horse show experiences. I'm surprised no one on COTH has started a "The Show Was Going Just Fine, and THEN..." thread. I'm sure people have all sorts of interesting stories.

Today is the first Brownland Farm No Frills show, and my barn has lots of people going. I'm going to go over there to hang out and watch. Wish I were competing, but not going to spend my money on an off-site show until I'm sure he's ok. If you ever want to see a nice farm, go to www.brownlandfarm.com. I am so fortunate to live close to this place. Have a great day, everyone!
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Pony4me, awesome that your horse is feeling well! That is so cool. I LOVE Brownland. Brownland is also where I broke my ankle last year. . It's a love/hate thing. Haha. Have fun watching the no frills!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Finzean, thanks for the thought on the horse. If the appendix doesn't come through, I don't mind a little bit of travel.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

1 members found this post helpful.

Tarheel, of course you wouldn't ignore your doctor's advice!
    I looked at the link you provided, and I am intrigued. I read a lot of the reviews, and it sounds as though it might help and certainly wouldn't do harm. I noted that several people said the stuff was difficult to get out of the tube, but that running it under hot water seems to help.

I bought several tubes of omeprezole (I found a cheaper source) to keep on hand for future away shows as Sky has shown she is susceptible to ulcers. Right now she is still on the "pop rocks," so I haven't used any. But this supplement might be a good alternative for the future. Are you going to try it, Tarheel?

Button, don't be too hard on yourself. Last year I wondered if Sky and I would ever make it over anything more than crossrails. And Pony4me, that is terrific news about Mr. All-Better!
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Tarheel, how did the wrist hold up riding today's? Hope you're doing well.

Dewey, I didn't realize Sky was an appendix. Any pics handy?

Button, I think you're doing great! Don't worry too much about the height. You will get there. But at least you had a great ride, and felt good about it. . Like many here, I used to ride a lot better and jump a lot higher when I was younger. I remember doing the mini-Prix back in the day at 4'. Those days are long gone! After some bad falls on one of my green horses, I lost all my nerve. I mean all! I ended up selling that horse and then started taking lessons twice a week at my local university (alumni can take lessons with their IHSA program). I rode different horses twice a week. One day flat and one day jumping (starter jumping, so maybe 2'. Then I went out and bought a quarter horse. When I went to try him out, I'm embarrassed to say I was afraid to canter in the round pen. Really was afraid. But I cantered half a revolution and called it good and bought the horse. Loved that horse! He ended up having laminitis, though, and he went back to the original owner. Miss that horse. But before that happened, Chico fell into my hands. When I got him I stopped taking lessons at school and took Chico to my trainer (who taught at the university), and we progressed nicely. Before I broke my ankle, we were jumping 3'6" and I was happy as can be. I finally found my heart horse after riding for 30 years! Now that I am just getting back to riding after four months off, I again am starting over. Today we jumped 2'3 and one 2'6 and it felt big. . But it was beautiful out and it was fun.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Ooh very nice! And such a tidy front end in the last pic!

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    Tarheel, how did the wrist hold up riding today's? Hope you're doing well.

Dewey, I didn't realize Sky was an appendix. Any pics handy?

Button, I think you're doing great! Don't worry too much about the height. You will get there. But at least you had a great ride, and felt good about it. . Like many here, I used to ride a lot better and jump a lot higher when I was younger. I remember doing the mini-Prix back in the day at 4'. Those days are long gone! After some bad falls on one of my green horses, I lost all my nerve. I mean all! I ended up selling that horse and then started taking lessons twice a week at my local university (alumni can take lessons with their IHSA program). I rode different horses twice a week. One day flat and one day jumping (starter jumping, so maybe 2'. Then I went out and bought a quarter horse. When I went to try him out, I'm embarrassed to say I was afraid to canter in the round pen. Really was afraid. But I cantered half a revolution and called it good and bought the horse. Loved that horse! He ended up having laminitis, though, and he went back to the original owner. Miss that horse. But before that happened, Chico fell into my hands. When I got him I stopped taking lessons at school and took Chico to my trainer (who taught at the university), and we progressed nicely. Before I broke my ankle, we were jumping 3'6" and I was happy as can be. I finally found my heart horse after riding for 30 years! Now that I am just getting back to riding after four months off, I again am starting over. Today we jumped 2'3 and one 2'6 and it felt big. . But it was beautiful out and it was fun.
    He sounds like a special guy, and 2'6" is certainly respectable, especially after 4 months off

I'm hoping I'll find a special guy too soon. One of the girls at the barn was riding in a GP last night, so we all went to watch. I have to give her credit, poor thing was one of only two ametuers (I think) in a field of 16, and I think the youngest by about 8 years, and had a pretty rough trip. Anyway, they let people walk the course afterward, and I mentioned that I thought it was motivating to see the jumps up close to my trainer. I think it surprised him, (said he had me pegged as a hunter) but he said he'll keep an eye out for the right horse for me next time he's out in CA (will be an OTTB, I don't make enough to get something super-fancy, but I've got plenty of time and good supervision to bring along a talented greenie).

For whatever reason my sense of scale is so off that 18" looks like 2'3"-2'6", but GP jumps are only "intimidating because ofthe spread." I think I'm just going to stop worrying about the height and have some fun. The fear is starting to wear off, and I'm beginning to remember how much I love this sport!

Hey folks! Back after a bit of a break - spring break with DD at WDW. Had a great time, lots of happy family memories there.

Welcome Button! Sounds like everyone else is A OK. Classyride - hope you can get the turnout situation worked out, that sucks.

Only rode Tues this week - terrible headache the rest of the week, so groomed, turned out, etc. but didn't feel up to riding or doing much of anything, quite honestly. Was supposed to have a dressage lesson today, but ended up jumping instead. Considering I'd only ridden once in two weeks - we did well and had a blast. Happy St. Patrick's Day to all!

PS. DD and I had a few heart-to-hearts during sb and she does understand about me riding, she's OK for now.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Welcome back Tiger Horse. Love WDW. . And glad to hear you and DD doing well.

Dewey. Sky is gorgeous. Love her. How tall is she? Thanks for posting pics.

Button....the width still scares me! Verticals to me are easy. I shouldn't say easy, but they don't scare me like a good oxer even when the vertical is a foot bigger!
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Paradox. Sky is just short of 16 hands. Sometimes she measures 15.3 and sometimes 16. Thanks to you and Button for the compliments to my girl.