The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 154 of 380 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156164204254 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,080 of 7598

Quote Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
    Alterageous, don't get discouraged. These animals have minds of their owns and there are always going to be horses that won't listen to what you're saying. I know how upsetting it is to feel like you're being disrespected and not in control, especially when you think it could become dangerous. So, in your horse search, don't get a green horse, and don't get something that's hot. So you want a packer, or something bombproof, or something very responsive/patient. Look for that instead. You won't click with every horse but that doesn't necessarily reflect on you as a rider. Keep on looking if it's what you really want.
    That's the thing though. I can ride horses who aren't broke to death just fine. There's just a difference between a horse who is green but not really misbehaving, and a horse who is intentionally misbehaving who should know better. No, I would not buy a horse who does the latter. But I don't think that excludes "green but sane" as opposed to "trained but not".

My lesson was bad because I was riding a pony who just would.not.go despite spurs and a stick, and by 20 minutes it I was so tired just from trying to keep him moving that my position started to get sloppy because I'm just not strong enough in the "riding muscles" yet. The trainer kept me riding for 40 minutes after my "tired" point and by the end it was just really rough.

I have ridden my boy all weekend!!!! He has been in training since July 2012. He had off Dec-This weekend and can I say that I still have the same horse that I had last fall??!! He just has the best brain ever.

A little background:
    He raced briefly and horribly. Trainer left him for the killers after he bowed his tendon during his last race. He was rescued by a girl I know and turned out at her Moms farm for 3 years. She put basic, basic foundation on him. I came along and after hearing that she was sending him back to the auction aka killers. I bought him on the spot in June of 2011. I hadn't even ridden him nor did I do a PPE. I moved my horses shortly after that. I started him myself and after a few months he tore his SDFT. He was then off till June of 2012. Thus starting his career as an event prospect in July. He has been awesome and so easy right from the start. I today I realized just how lucky I am.

Well Dewey -- you aren't the only one who had a challenging show weekend! When we arrived at the show venue Friday to settle in and school, Tajar was super amped up. This is the largest show environment he has ever been in -- the barns are very large, and metal. They are really loud, with lots of activity. And there were many, many more horses than he is accustomed to.

My trainer rode him Friday -- I did not school him at all because we ran out of time.

Saturday morning he was pretty antsy again, but after lunging and my trainer riding him, we made it through our classes. We won the hunter under saddle class, and got 2 fourth places in our others. He was anticipating a lot, and broke into a canter during the EQ class, and we had a couple of jigs when we were supposed to be walking in the Pleasure class. While he was "up" he was still going well and doing his job - he did not feel like he was crazed or was going to take off or anything.

On Sunday - he lunged again, and the first half of my trainer's warm up on him was fine. Then, we don't know why, something just snapped and he had a mental melt down. When I got up n him, he was spinning and cranking his tail. He was seriously unhappy! So, we scratched our classes.

I am hoping the Sunday melt down was just a function of the new, much bigger show environment. And I am praying he gets used to it, because that is his intended job!!

pony4me -- sorry you are still dealing with a mystery. I can't imagine how frustrated you are.

Pancakes -- you too have been through it recently. Glad Bugatti is getting better.

For everyone else having some challenges, let's all hope things settle as the weather gets better and we get some of the show season under our belts.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Haven't checked in in forever....really busy getting new biz venture started & b/c of the weather/footing haven't been able to do much more with the horses than feed, clean, muck...feed, clean, muck... So this afternoon I got on the Amazon for a bit. She is such a goof!

DD & I were headed to the ring to ride a little so DD brought in the grey mare, I brought in the Amazon. The grey mare is easy and perfect, stood quietly...none of her sanity was rubbing off on the Amazon who was frantically looking for her turn out buddy (who incidentally couldn't have cared less that the Amazon was MIA). So I took the Amazon outside, tying her to Pig Pen's "time out tree." She immediately settled down and was perfect. Groomed, tacked up and then spent an excessive amount of time fretting over my new schooling helmet as I have now decided I hate the way it (doesn't) fit. The Amazon is out of sight just outside the barn door and DD hears something suspicious. We walk over to see the Amazon who has untied herself (no biggie as she's tied to a twine loop & the lead is still in the loop) and managed to remove all sorts of brushes, curries, etc. and is tossing them all over the place. We had a good laugh over it.

Oh - and we had a good ride, too, except for the fact that I am so one sided it's ridiculous. Poor horse having to haul me around when we're tracking right...to the left, beautiful...why can't I go right?? So off to the dressage guru we go - hopefully sooner rather than later, just gotta get a break in the schedule.

Otherwise, we were SO HAPPY to have good weather the past 3-4 days! It's raining right now but should clear up for some more riding time the rest of the week. Glad Spring is finally beating back winter!

TarheelJD congrats on the win.

Alterageous...I feel ya on the tired thing. I'm trying to practice my tracking right off sides issue but while the muscle memory is there, the athletic ability is not. My hiatus from legit, actual riding was about 7 years and change; while I hunted in 2004, the last time I jumped around an actual course of any substance was before that. I wish I had the time to just practice, practice, practice but practicing is no good if I can't hold position. So I need to make sure I ride every day - which is sometimes wishful thinking.

Sounds like most of you had a wonderful weekend. Wish I could've been right there with you but this weekend sucked weather wise rain no indoor....
    My biggest fear is that something will happen and for what ever reason I can not ride...

I'm in bit if a funk today so bear with me please..
    I spent all weekend washing DHs' uniforms as he was put on some sort of alert( a special alert because of his job in the military) because of Korea so all of his uniforms have to be ready on a moments notice. I hate this part of military life but I would not take that away from DH for it was his life before I married him. It is the life I signed up for when I said" I do".
    Because of the way he set it up I also get a call also. When I asked him why I got a call he said well 1) so you know what is going on 2) incase my phone is down they can still get intouch with me. He knows what number t call. The calls are computer ones so they say something like "attention attention you are being informed of.... then it puts out the alert. And what number to call for further instructions ect. I normally hang up as soon as I hear attention.
    I can not tell DH that every time my phone rings with the ring tone for that number I want to jump out of my skin. Or that I want to scream into my phone no you cant have him I need him. (even though it will do no good its a computer damn it), or that I want to take him away someplace where there are no phones or internet and hide him.
    No I have to put on a hard face and pretend that all's well and it will be ok even if I have to send my DH somewhere because some idiot it a country that we have been at a state of war (though war was never actually declared and it refuses to sing any peace treaty it and others have worked on) with for what is it now 50yrs+/- decides to be an idiot.
    If I have to do that again I may have a melt down. And you may see a side of me you have never seen even on OT days.. and it is not a nice side. As dh put "it is a face along with a voice that makes generals/ admerals(sp) what to hide because it will stop at nothing to get what it wants, needs etc.It is abrasive, harsh, mean, and noting is out of limits at all.. " The scary thing is he is not exaggerating and I almost (99% of the time) get what I want/need.
    So I apologize in advance if that happens..
    thanks for this I had to get it off my chest someplace I know dh dosent go...
    Friend of bar .ka

bumknees - my sister is an Air Force wife...I know of what you speak. And, yes, it's the life y'all signed up for but it doesn't make it any easier when the one you love is headed into harm's way. My BIL flies C-17s and did lots of middle east drops in pretty sketchy places...who can't help but worry??

Peace to you!

bumknees, I can see how that would be so nerve-wracking. I personally couldn't deal with it. I grew up with Navy kids during the Vietnam war, and my mother taught them. She said you could always tell when the dads were about to be deployed; misbehavior went WAY up. As a kid, I didn't notice it really but I do remember kids being yanked out of school suddenly, and kids whose fathers were killed. And years later I dated a Navy guy whose father had PTSD from Vietnam, and the whole family was so messed up by that.

In any case, I will cross my fingers that the Korea situation doesn't suddenly go awful... but it sounds like it may.

Feronia's doing OK. She has been trimmed and has her shoes back on and I can ride her at the walk. The barn is a mud-pit, which she and I both hate. It was muddy before Friday's "surprise!" snowstorm dumped 15 inches, and will be worse if we get an inch of rain today as predicted. Vet comes to recheck her on Thursday and possibly do the Tildren injection then.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Hi All. Have not checked in for a while - lots going on.
    My dad is in the hospital, but got moved to a rehab facility today.
    I am signing Finn over to my trainer as I can't afford to keep him.

But, the good news is that I (finally) got a job an start on Friday!!!
    And nothing bad happened!

jaslyn - congrats on the job!

Hopefully your dad will do well in his rehab facility, and be on the mend quickly! It must be hard on you, with everything going on, to sign Finn over to your trainer, but it sounds like you can rest assured he will be we'll cared for. Will you still get to ride him?
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Sorry to hear about your dad, Jaslyn. Hope he does well at the rehab facility. Also sorry to hear about Finn. Have you considered doing a free lease and getting him back when you are able? I'm in the opposite predicament. I'm LOOKING for another horse. I have been down to one horse, and I've been I borrowing a friend's horse to keep him company. Hopefully the right one will come along soon. . Congrats on the job!

Bumknees, my thoughts are with you.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Jaslyn- I hope all goes well with your Dad and so sorry about your horse, but congrats on the job!!

Bumknees- I come from a long line of military and the life can suck a lot of the time.

After getting all into riding Jack again and having a plan to get him back into shape, today it was raining and not just raining but pouring!!! Sucks to not have an indoor .

Wow – lots going on in this thread and I’ve been so busy with work and home life I’m just now catching up! Sorry if I miss anyone:

Pancakes – I’m so glad that Bugatti is on the mend. Poor kid – but thank goodness he has such a doting “Mommy” to help him through.

Pony4Me – I sure hope you’re able to figure out what’s going on. At least it sounds like things are getting better.

Dewey & Tarheel – Congrats on getting through your shows! I’ll be lucky if I make it to a show or two this year (that’s the goal). Sounds like neither of your did badly – it’s just one of those things where the horses have to get back into the groove and/or get used to different situations. No worries – things’ll get better with every show.

Finzean – I love your stories about the Amazon. She sounds like such a character!

SuperD – YAY for getting to ride your boy!!! Sounds like he’s definitely a keeper if you can pull him out of the pasture after *that* much time off and he’s still the same horse. You did a wonderful thing saving him from the auction. But BOO with the rain – blech!

Bumknees – I’m so sorry. I hope things sort themselves out so you don’t have to worry about all this.

Quietann – Thank goodness Feronia is doing alright for now. Good luck with the vet checkup.

Jaslyn – I was just getting ready to PM you to ask how you were; I was thinking of you. I’m so sorry to hear your Dad is in the hospital, but at least it sounds like he’s on the mend. Congrats on the job!!! But sorry to hear about Finn. I know you were thinking of selling or leasing him, but it still stinks.

As for me:

I had stuff going on most of the day on Saturday, which SUCKED because it was beautiful out *finally* - but I did meet my friend in the evening for supper and then we went to the barn together. She’d already ridden her little filly, so we just focused on my beasts.

She wanted to see how I am long-lining Rose. So, she watched long-lining session number 3 and said, “This filly is ready to ride. If you don’t get on her tonight, I will. But it’s time and she’s ready.” And my friend has started a ton of babies, so she knows.

So, long story short, Erin rode her Saturday night. We took it slow, doing the progressive stuff (reach over and touch her, now belly over on her, now stick a leg over and just hang it there, etc.). Rose took it all in stride and she was SO GOOD! She was totally confused and thought aliens had abducted her, but she was SO GOOD! LOL When Erin got off, she even stood like a rock. This coming weekend, *I* want to get on. I can’t believe my baby is growing up!

After all that excitement, I rode Velvet. In some ways, I feel like I learned a lot and made progress, but in other ways I feel like I went backward – if that makes any sense. Velvet had no Go button, was being somewhat non-responsive to leg aids, and was acting like a bit of a brat. The good: I got her into a great working walk and I learned how to get her to bring her head down – almost but not quite into a frame – by jiggling the inside rein. We did some great W/T/W transitions. The bad: Going to the right, she *would not bend right* and kept cutting the corners. She was counter-bent the entire time. I tried so many things, killed my inside leg trying to put her out to the rail – finally my friend told me to come into a small circle and spiral out. That got her bending nicely, but it fell apart again when we got all the way out to the rail. Ugh! Erin cantered her and I’m not sure what was bothering Velvet, but she wouldn’t quit flinging her head around. Erin rode her like 10 laps each direction, and the *entire time* Velvet was flinging her head. I have to admit, I was kind of embarrassed at her antics, but at least Erin's a good rider and wasn't worried by it.

Then Tuesday I went out to see them again. I won’t have Erin there to help me get on Rose until this weekend, so Tuesday I just focused on the other two. I rode Gabriel in the indoor W/T – he was awesome! He had only 1 spook in place when the wind blew pretty hard and it made a loud noise, but that isn’t bad at all. I got him bending nicely and we even did some side-passing at the walk. Then I brought Velvet in and rode her. After the great experience on Gabe, I had confidence. So, I rode Velvet W/T/… and CANTER! Velvet was super good for me, too! Not 1 head toss during any transition, she had a little trouble bending right but did listen when I put on the inside leg, she had a little Go and was nice and forward for me. Yay!!!! I was SO happy – especially after cantering on her. What a doll!

I'm planning to go out again tonight. I can't wait to see them again!

ClassyRide, I'm so proud of you!!! You have had some awesome experiences with you and your horses! YOU cantered, and ROSE was ridden. How awesome is that!!! Great job. I'm so glad your critters are closer to you and you get to go work with them more. That's great. And don't feel too bad, Chico is stiff to the right ALL THE TIME. I had him doing fairly well before I had the ankle issue. Now he's bad to not bending in one corner. Usually it's one particular corner that is the hardest for me to get him around. He eventually does, but not easily and not happily! Silly boy. The spiraling in and out is a good exercise for it though. I like that one.

Well, I have scheduled a lesson! It's not until March 30th, which gives me and Chico a little more time to get in shape. The ankle has felt really good, though, with my new stirrups. And Chico is doing better and going a little longer. So I'm excited.

AND I have a lead on a new horse (we need one more since I sold my "second" horse a while back. Fingers crossed. It's a nice looking Appendex. I am waiting for my trainer to get back in town so we can schedule the owner to come out with the horse. I hate the wait!!
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

For better or for worse, and because I must be nuts-- I just bought a mare at Camelot. Seven year old TB mare, approved ISR/Old.

I have no idea what she's like beyond that she needs a lot of groceries. I am hoping that she will be ammy friendly and a nice ride for me.

Hi Everyone! I'm new to the forum (and therefore this thread) so I wanted to introduce myself properly. I am also a re-rider.

I had a horse as a kid, and we mostly did trail riding, some (shorter) endurance, and lots of bareback-screwing-around time. Then I grew up and had to pay bills, so I stopped riding. While I was in the Air Force I tried to start again, and because I'd always wanted to jump, I thought that's what I should do. Because I had a good seat (from all those bareback rides as a kid) I was over faced (jumping 2'3" from the first lesson back wtf?) and had a serious crash within a few months (broken collar bone, concussion, torn rotator cuff, torn A/C joint, 2 surgeries to repair the shoulder and 4 months of PT) and quit riding again for 6 years because of the fear. I've started again, but had to try a couple places before I found the right one.

Now I'm at the best barn ever and I'm so happy! I actually get taken seriously even though I'm an adult. They're understanding of how I get nervous about crashing again, but I'm also expected to progress like everyone else. The students are top-notch (one won the zone, another is top in the state, and a few are jumping GP), and so are the lesson horses (I've never been somewhere where the lesson horses happily jump 4'), but I'm not treated any differently for being on the poor side.

I'm hoping to get an OTTB perhaps this summer, and really get going seriously. Currently I'm doing lessons twice a week. Sorry to ramble on, I'm just do happy and excited to be finally doing this instead of just thinking about it. I figure since all this time has passed, but I kept wishing I was riding, that I'd better do it because that desire never seems to fade away.

Also I joined the MFP group, I'm Badgemash on there. MFP has been good for me, but I think I have another 15 lbs to go.

Button, welcome!! Sounds like you will fit right in. I am happy you found a good riding lesson barn. Sounds like a really great place. Nothing like some very good lessons to help overcome some of our well-founded fears. Keep us posted!

Soloudinhere, AWESOME! That is very exciting. . Any pics yet? I will enjoy following your progress.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Reminder: for anyone that wishes to check in regarding fitness, weight loss or gain, motivation, tomorrow, Friday, will be check-in day! Hope I did well. You don't have to weigh in or anything, but just stop by to tell us how you as doing! Thanks.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    Button, welcome!! Sounds like you will fit right in. I am happy you found a good riding lesson barn. Sounds like a really great place. Nothing like some very good lessons to help overcome some of our well-founded fears. Keep us posted!

Soloudinhere, AWESOME! That is very exciting. . Any pics yet? I will enjoy following your progress.
    I only have her pics in the pen, which are seriously, seriously unflattering. Probably why I was able to buy her. I will post one once the sale has closed, I don't really want to start something with the FB group, who can be a little zany.

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post

Aww thanks, it's a bit weird for me sometimes to be motivated by teenagers at the barn, but when their horse misbehaves by going crooked and jumping OVER the standards, it's pretty awesome. This thread is really great though, it's good to know that A) I'm not alone in starting again and B) I'm not the only one who gets the nerves (which those young girls just don't understand).