The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 149 of 324 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159199249 ... LastLast
Results 2,961 to 2,980 of 6476

I FOUND MY BRIDLE!!! In a box of things that goes into my breakfront??? How it got there I will never know. It seems though my breast plate got left behind...Which really sucks as I've had it since mmm 198something...
    81 maybe 79. And the chances of retreving it are slim to none as the house we were living is now in rubble. So I have to get another one hope I can find one.

I cant wait for winter to be gone as this weather is really getting to me. One day snow the next 40's or higher then the next 20's and more snow.. Today haven't figured it out yet but low 30's and rain??? Normally when it is that cold it is the white stuff.
    But mostly because I want to ride. I want ot so bad I can taste it. But I don't want to ride outside in this weather or risk Toby's legs as right now they has no marks on them no splint's, to windpuffs, etc. and I want to keep that way them as long as possible.
    I think that this unplanned time off has helped Toby as according to the BO he has grown up a lot in the last year ( that 4-5 year). And while he still has his moments ( like removing his stall door) he "is such a gentleman now" ( quote the BO) the last year has been good for him. So I think the chances of him launching me have been reduced.

I will def. be in Louisville Ky. the end of July. (the 19th-24(25)th) for the VFW National Convention. Anyone in the area? Perhaps we can meet up. There is a lot of down time at these things during which time they encourage us to see the local attractions. And I figure if anyone wants....

Tarheal I love dressage even though my heart belong to the hunter ring. I rode with a dressage trainer who was also my hunter trainer
    when dressage was a "dirty word" in hunters. It helped so much with my almost out of control QH mare( when TB where the horse to have on the hunter circuit) who actually won. She was the most filexable horse on the circuit before they counted strides..

Super D Belated welcome. A many said we for the most part all have taken breaks from riding. some for school, some for family, some for illness. For the most part many of us found something to fill the void. I "found" photography. I still use film. I have many photos of places I have been and many more of riders both well known then, and some who may have become know since I took their photo like the one member(as in she was the only one on it) of the Bahamas equestrian team of the early 90's. I got called back to horses and got slid lined many times since then but always came/come back. so welcome back.
    Friend of bar .ka

bumknees - congrats on finding your bridle! Maybe your breast plate will turn up yet.

Also a very belated welcome to Super D - you will love this group!
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

I found a pony on equinenow that I am dying to buy. She's only 13.2, a solid medium. I think it would probably not fly for me to show this pony in the adults.

But I WANT her, and she's super, super cheap. Like, cheap enough that I would consider not having her vetted. Just go with the trailer and a check, watch her jog, and come back with a pony.

Someone tell me I am completely insane.

Event4Life...at least you've got some sand! I follow Denny Emerson's FB page and I'm not sure whether I'm enjoying all his photo posts of riders these days. He's in So. Pines this time of the year and the sand drains just beautifully. I'm more jealous of his riders as they are out almost every day. The mud here is just unreal and it's NOT drying up. So frustrating!! I've got access to a wonderful covered - 20 minute haul - but it's $25 per use...adds up fast. OK - bitchfest over. Being grateful for my barn & horses

Paradox!!! LOVE! At this point I think I could do the first few jumps (so unfit) but would likely get into the 2nd & 3rd at a bad spot and have to throw the reins away and myself upon the mercy of a horse with a better eye than me!! You rock!

Quote Originally Posted by Alterageous View Post
    I found a pony on equinenow that I am dying to buy. She's only 13.2, a solid medium. I think it would probably not fly for me to show this pony in the adults.

But I WANT her, and she's super, super cheap. Like, cheap enough that I would consider not having her vetted. Just go with the trailer and a check, watch her jog, and come back with a pony.

Someone tell me I am completely insane.
    Wait - this is COTH - we are enablers - go get her!!
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Alterageous, post the link! We can enable much more effectively with pictures!
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post
    Paradox!!! LOVE! At this point I think I could do the first few jumps (so unfit) but would likely get into the 2nd & 3rd at a bad spot and have to throw the reins away and myself upon the mercy of a horse with a better eye than me!! You rock!
    Aww. thanks, Finzean. Some days are better than others!! haha. I jumped the other day (nothing over 2'6") and I felt my timing was off bit since it's been almost 4 months. But the ankle felt good, and it was FUN. I'm on my way. NOw I have to lose the extra pounds I gained on my "immobility" vacation!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    Alterageous, post the link! We can enable much more effectively with pictures!
    Nobody better steal her if I do!
    http://img.equinenow.com/equine/data...s/683032_4.jpg

Oh, Alterageous, need you even ask our opinion?? YES GET HER. She is adorable! In seriousness, keep us posted! I do think she's a cutey.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I think I am going to go see her this weekend. I asked hubby-to-be his opinion and he said "you know you could buy a BMW for what board costs?" and I tried to explain that I could dress the pony in pink and she'd give slobbery kisses, but I think it was lost on him. The only horsepower he's interested in is an engine bay.

I think she is super cute and I am just looking for something to have fun on. And her price is less than my first quarter bonus that is coming in 2 weeks...and it's getting warmer outside...

She is adorable!! What else do you know about her?
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    She is adorable!! What else do you know about her?
    Only a little bit from the sellers. She is 6, been used as a kids trail pony. Just starting arena work and doesn't know much, which combined with the color/spots and not being kid safe (since she basically only has steering and brakes), adds up to her (very low) price tag.

I need to go see her in person but if her canter is good and her walk is good I want to take her home. If nothing else, she'd be a good resale project.

I think you NEED this pony!!!

Thanks everyone for the welcome!!! I will be going to give the boys some much needed bathes if the weather predicted for tomorrow is true! I might even ride the monster as well

Go see her ASAP! She sounds like fun...and she is sooooo cute!

Quote Originally Posted by Alterageous View Post
    I tried to explain that I could dress the pony in pink and she'd give slobbery kisses...

Best. Argument. EVER! What more need you say?? Besides, she's completely adorable and has a very sweet expression.

Go get her. Now. You need her.

Well, it sounds like many of us are in the Soggy Season (and have been for far too long). You know how motorcycles are sometimes referred to as “steel horses?” I tell people my horses are my “dirt bikes with fur.” It’s just too bad they aren’t submarines with fur – then we’d be able to ride them in the waterlogged arenas and trails.

Tarheel – Sounds like all in all the clinic was a success. The weather making the footing bad is a total bummer, though. And I’m so sorry your boy got into a fight – my word! Isn’t that so scary??? Gabriel is usually a very friendly horse, but every once in a while he meets a horse he just *hates* for no apparent reason. I’ve only witnessed him go toe-to-toe twice, and it was REALLY scary! Thank god everyone was alright!

Tiger Horse – Congrats on the good lesson! I can’t wait to get jumping again – I’m living vicariously through you and some of the others in this thread for my jumping fix. So, keep posting!

Bumknees – Yay; you found your bridle!!! That must be a load off. Sorry about the breast plate. But just think – this is the perfect excuse to go shopping in a tack store!!! I don’t know about you, but I’m always like a kid in a candy store when I go. Also, that’s so awesome that Toby has become a young man. I’m learning with my little one that it’s amazing to watch the transformations as they grow up.

ParadoxFarm – I’m SO happy you’re jumping again and the ankle is doing well! Hooray!!

SuperD – I hope you get to ride!!! I’m keeping my fingers crossed!

…….
    I went to see my three again last night. I am LOVING them being so close! We had to use the indoor because everything was soggy and muddy outside. The indoor is small (only room for W/T), but at least we have a place that’s dry. Only crappy thing is that the rain coming down sounds like hail on the tin roof and the wind makes things creak and bang. Thank god I have some really sensible critters.

I did my first long lining session with Rose last night. I just continue to be more and more impressed with this little filly! We worked for about 15 minutes. In that time, I got her to flex her neck both directions, steering at the walk (if a little drunkenly, but what can you expect – this is the first lesson), and halting, all with just the bit. We had almost no antics. The only thing she did was turns circles when I first asked her to flex, then the first time I asked her to Whoa she reared up some. But it lasted all of a second. Then she came back down and put her thinking cap on and quickly realized that meant Stop. She was fine with it after that.

I hopped on Velvet next. She was awesome. I did W/T and some bending with her. I have to admit, I had the creeping Scaredy Cat monster in my head when I started tacking her up. She is a *very* sensible horse, but of my three she is the easiest to come unglued just because she's a sensitive lady. And with all the wind and rain, I started worrying that something would spook her. But, I squished those worries down and just did it. And nothing bad happened! (<-- Jaslyn’s signature, and my new motto) She was awesome and couldn’t have cared less with the noises. I think it helped my psyche that I’d just had the baby horse in there and *she* didn’t have a problem with it. So, if my not even 3 year old can handle it, my 10 year old can, too.

Lastly, I took Gabriel in there and just free lunged him. He appreciated the attention, did awesome with following my cues, and then snuggled with me when I took him back to his stall. <3 I adore that gelding.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassyRide View Post

Best. Argument. EVER! What more need you say?? Besides, she's completely adorable and has a very sweet expression.

Go get her. Now. You need her.
    I think this one speaks to me. I really don't know why as I really don't like palominos and I said I didn't want a paint and she's short (even for 5' tall me...)

But for some reason she does and I am calling on her today. I'll figure out a way to make the cost work out.

She's adorable. She reminds me of the palomino paint mare we had when I was very young..... These days I'm drawn to horses that remind me of my childhood ponies! let us know how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by NRB View Post
    She's adorable. She reminds me of the palomino paint mare we had when I was very young..... These days I'm drawn to horses that remind me of my childhood ponies! let us know how it goes
    Seller has not returned my phone call asking for an appointment to come see the pony. So we'll see if she actually would like to sell a horse or not.

Default Oh wise COTHers, I need some advice please!

Just wondering if anyone has any tips/ideas on how to ease my DDs fear about me riding - esp jumping.

Back story: We lost my DH very unexpectedly mid July last year (he died in his sleep - 55 years old). DD went back to college in August, she's a Sophomore, school is approx 5 hours from home. We talk several times a day. She comes home when her schedule allows - maybe once a mo or so. She knows my barn schedule and I always text her when I get home.

We talked about me starting jump lessons and I thought she was OK with it, but lately she seems very fearful about me getting hurt while riding/jumping. I have ridden since my teens (I am soon to be 55 ), the only break I have ever had was when I was pregnant with her. I can't imagine not having a horse to care for, not riding. She knows I wear a helmet, and now a vest, every ride. I don't take chances. My horse can be silly, but overall he really tries very hard to take care of me.

My DH always supported and encouraged my "horsie" passion - even though he never quite understood it. So, I'm kind of at a loss here . . . any words of wisdom?