The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 146 of 420 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156196246 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,920 of 8395

I hear you, Tiger Horse. Not thinking is really hard! Sounds silly, huh?
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    I hear you, Tiger Horse. Not thinking is really hard! Sounds silly, huh?
    It sure does. In that regard, riding is a lot like baseball - the harder you try, the worse it gets!!
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Guys, I don't know how I stayed away from horses & riding for as long as I did. On days like today (clear skies and 60-ish) there's nowhere I'd rather be than at the barn. After a nearly week of being indoors (apart from quick walks on the beach!) I really, really needed a day outside, and I got it! I rode River, who was a champ as per usual. He spooked at something (either a gunshot or a car backfiring, not sure which - a bit disconcerting but welcome to backcountry NC I guess!) and jumped forward but then settled right back into work. What a good boy. I had someone take some pics and a short video, and I have soooo much to work on. I really, really need some dressage lessons. Its just been so long since I've ridden a horse that allows me to focus on me, so I need to take advantage of it in a major way.

Then the farrier was out, so dealt w/ that for awhile & then helped lead a trail ride & rode Gold Rush, a horse who hasn't been out in awhile and proved it. He could have been a lot worse though. People on trail ride were lovely which was fun and the girl wants to come back for lessons so thats cool . She was really into helping put the horses away - I've forgotten how much I love introducing people to horses and horse care too!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Gorgeous day here today too.

Breaking news: I jumped jumps and not only did I NOT fall off, I did awesome!

That is all.

1 members found this post helpful.

Woohoo, Alterageous! Awesome. I hope to follow in your footsteps soon!

Event4life, sounds like a really nice day! Glad you had a good ride. I know what you mean about backcountry. Living on TN, I get shooting every couple of days. Weekends are especially fun. But at least my horses are used to it now.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Event4Life - I live in envy of you and what would be my dream job!! At the coast, no less, so I could also put the yaks in and paddle my way around the marsh and edges of the ICW!!

Haven't checked in for awhile, folks, but I have been reading.

Quietann, I wish I had some advice for you. I'm sorry your horse has been so uncomfortable, and that you have been so upset about it. Wish there was a way to ship her here for the winter! She would certainly enjoy the weather. If she wouldn't mind being a lesson horse, I would be happy to keep an eye on her for you!

Bumknees, sorry about your misadventures with moving. Hang in there. I am a pack rat myself, so I would have trouble moving to a smaller place. That's good news about Toby, though.

Tiger Horse, I am sure your new bridle will be lovely. It's probably on clearance because Newmarket isn't a fashionable color now, though I really like it, especially on a chestnut. Leather always darkens up anyway, so I don't understand these color trends. In my day, no one ever talked about matching saddles, bridles, girths, etc. With use, everything always ends up being the same color!

Pancakes, hang in there. You two are still getting used to one another. He's a youngster, and maybe his infection is making him sore. Things will get better. I predict that before the year is up, you two will be a fine team.

Alterageous, congrats on the jumping! Great news!

Paradox, the video was adorable, and I am so glad you're making good progress with your ankle.

Classyride, tomorrow is the big day, right? Hope everything goes swimmingly!

Event4Life, may you have many more days at the barn as delightful as those you have had lately!

As for me, Sky is doing so much better. She doesn't seem sick at all now, though I have been monitoring everything she eats very carefully--well as much as I can since I am not there every day. She is getting the "pop rocks" now, which she will eat though she doesn't always want to finish them. I just bought some unsweetened applesauce to add to her feed to see if that will help. I also bought some sugar-free pancake syrup to try if the applesauce doesn't work.

We had our first little show of the season last Saturday. It was a small show...there were only 3 in Sky's division, and both of the others were greener than she was. She was a very good girl especially considering how little we have been able to jump lately because of her illness. She did not buck or take off--yay! Her warm-up round was the best of the three rounds. With the other two rounds we had a blown lead change and some missed distances, and in the last round, we ended up way in the corner, crooked, with no way to get to the last line properly. I just halted her and then asked her to trot over the fence from where we were, which she did with no hesitation, and then cantered down to the second fence in the line and jumped it nicely. It wasn't real pretty, but I was satisfied. She ended her day by winning Pleasure Horse, which was very pleasant.

We jumped a little in our lesson Thursday, and she was really good. She jumped a 2'6" oxer for the first time, and didn't even look at it--a big step for her. She almost jumped me out of the tack though.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Nice job at the show Dewey! Good for you and Sky. Good choice on the halt and trot into the last line. I'm so glad she's feeling better!

Yay, Dewey!!! How cool is that? Congrats!

I am considering a new entrepreneurial venture...I'm wondering if I can find a way to package and market all of this mud for use as at-home spa mud treatments? If I had a nickel for every application.....boy I'd be in high cotton instead of calf deep mud...

If wishes were horses. I'm considering legging up the Amazon Sea Monster the British way...road work. It's about what I'm left with at this point. The ring is a swamp and walking to it is even more dangerous....

WTG Alterageous and Dewey!!!

No riding yesterday - but full of ponies nonetheless. My trainer ended up as a ring steward at a local show, so I did the morning feed/turn out. Gotta love weather changes - all of the ponies in the barn have excellent ground manners - that is a must. But, since the weather was changing, there were a few that seemed to have lost a brain cell or two - LOL. Had to do the halt, step back, step up, step back with the 17.1 mare and a couple of others. Hello - engage brain please!!! What's cool about that is that before I got to know and pay attention to my trainer and learn from her, I would have no more attempted that than the man in the moon. She is a wonderful teacher!

Then I headed to the show to learn how to be the jumper ring announcer for the March show. Then it was back to the barn to do stalls with one of the other ladies. Bless the boarder who came to ride and cleaned all the stalls and put down shavings!! All we had to do was dump and refill the water buckets and throw hay for night.
    And nothing bad happened!

^Sounds like an awesome horsey day, Jaslyn, some of my favourite barn memories are days when I didn't ride at all!

Good job at the horse show Dewey & good decision making - IMO its most important that green horses to have a good experience, and any ribbons are icing on the cake.

I had a brilliant day in the saddle yesterday though. I went on 2 trail rides. Rode Jet @ walk but sadly he is a bit off & we don't know why. Farrier is coming to finish up tomorrow so we're going to get him to take a look since Jet just got new shoes on Friday.

THEN I took River out on a real trail ride, actually off property - we rode down to the Cape Fear River, with Sam & her horse Black Rio. River was such a good boy, he saw tons and didn't blink an eye. He wasn't quite sure about the River so had to follow Black Rio in. We only paddled at the very shallow section because there was a sign informing us alligators had been seen in the area! He did WTC on trail though - honestly a monkey could have ridden him and he wouldn't have minded, until he got to the river. Its still so strange for me to ride such a nice horse I almost feel guilty. We then stumbled over a few of the small logs on the property and re-established that jumping is not his forte, lol.

We had to put blankets on everyone because the weather turned crappy yesterday afternoon - it actually even snowed!! For about 5 minutes, lol.
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Where do all of you guys live that you get to trail ride?! I'm so jealous. It was like 20 degrees here yesterday - inside the barn! I think I probably won't be able to trail ride until April, if that.

I've at least finally had a good ride. I got so frustrated at my lack of progress that I finally decided I don't give crap if I ever get better - and voila! It was like a miracle. Suddenly my troubles went away!

Awesome, twelvebelles. Sometimes it is good to let go! We put too much pressure on ourselves. (I'm in mid Tennessee.)

Dewey, sounds like a great show! Great start to the show year!

Event4life..are there really alligators in NC?? Hope it is nothing serious with Jet. That's frustrating. Sounds like a great trail ride, though!

Jaslyn, sounds like you have a really good group of people at your barn. That's cool!

Finzean, hope you get a break soon with your weather and mud!

Getting ready to ride! Have a good one, you all!
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post

Event4life..are there really alligators in NC?? Hope it is nothing serious with Jet. That's frustrating. Sounds like a great trail ride, though!
    Yeah there are! Next time I'll take a picture of the sign. River by the sign by the river with hopefully no alligators present! LOL.

So do I . He was fine @ walk but then trotted a bit @ the end in the arena- one of the kiddos wanted to trot and needed a lead, and he was very definitely off. Not much, but enough to be beyond the stiffness you'd maybe expect from recent cold weather . Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

Why we wear good shoes at the barn, even when not riding.

The barn rule of closed toed shoes came in really hand today. We had finished chores, and I brought Finn in to de-hair, de-dirt his body. I just had him outside his stall, holding his lead. Well, he spooked at one of the barn cats - a cat he sees every single day. In the process of jumping, he landed on my foot. Thank goodness I had on my Terrains. Yes it hurt, but did not break my foot! LOL - the funny part was the split second Finn realized he had landed on my foot (uneven surface??) he moved off it. And then came back in to me as if to say, "Um, sorry, I had a TB moment there, but it's over."

Goodish news on the job front too - way back in late September, I applied for a trial clerk position with the city. Didn't hear anything and, frankly, forgot about it. Well, about a week ago, I got an email notifying me of the date and time of a written test. So, I went and took it. Got an email on Friday asking me to schedule an oral exam, which is on Tuesday. Their form emails all start out with, "We are pleased to inform you that you have met the minimum requirements......"
    And nothing bad happened!

1 members found this post helpful.

Good luck, Jaslyn!

Quote Originally Posted by twelvebelles View Post
    Where do all of you guys live that you get to trail ride?! I'm so jealous. It was like 20 degrees here yesterday - inside the barn! I think I probably won't be able to trail ride until April, if that. !
    Think layers. Lots of layers for you, and a quarter sheet for the horse. 20 degrees is about as low as I'd go though, and not if it's windy.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Thank you everyone for the kind replies Friday night I was trying a saddle (yes, I know, on a horse I am iffy about!) and took the bareback pad out so I could use it if the saddle didn't work. It didn't, so I switched to bareback and mostly walked around, and Feronia was just a joy. She is very comfortable!

Saturday we had a good lesson, though the trainer yelled at me for not getting after Feronia more quickly when she's disobedient. In his opinion we're having a dominance battle right now; I have the skills to get her to behave, and she isn't happy about it so she's constantly testing me. It's sort of like being nagged, ugh. She had only had 2 doses of Robaxin but did seem a bit looser.

Didn't ride today as she'd cut the fronts of her pasterns in turnout... I have no idea how, but apparently she was really PO'd about being out in the snow and wind and cold so she might have banged them on something. Here is how she looked, telling me to bring her in RIGHT THIS MINUTE.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

YEAH I found my other paddock boot to my black (older pair) of boots but have yet to find the second boot of my newer paddock boots, and my found the other tall boot. But have yet to find my bridle... But found half ( wonder how that happened don't remember dismanteling them) of my old really old draw reins..
    DH bless his heart, came to me with a "find" and saying oh you don't have to buy new britches I found a pair of yours... Yea he "found a pair" all right.. a pair that I haven't worn since I was mmmm lets see my youngest is 20 and the last time I wore then was shortly after he was born at a last minute show. But I wore them consinetly during the 80's... I swear they must made of cast iron...because they did not degrade any in the 30ish yrs... And they fit but they adhere themselves to legs.. I wonder if the "they" will be fashionable again in the ring. Who would have thunk it, Equestrian brand britches would last this long.. I wonder if they would last a nuke war like a roach. To bad they aren't Rust then they might be worth riding in the ring.
    Friend of bar .ka

Bumknees, I had a couple of pairs of Equestrian breeches left over from the 80s...I am impressed that yours still fit as I couldn't get into mine. I gave them to my daughter. She wore them some, but never really liked them--she said they were "slippery."

I still have my "Brittany" dressage coat and my white Harry Hall breeches from back in the day. Can't wear them, though. DD wore both when she did dressage at 4-H state. I wish I could wear the Harry Halls. They were the "it" brand back in the day. I remember getting my first pair after years of begging my mother. So nice!
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne