The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 145 of 321 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155195245 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,900 of 6414

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    I really hate how hard it is to get ahold of horse people. It's 2013. I operate almost solely by email and I would think it wouldn't be complicated and it would be EASIER for them to read a quick email versus answering the phone all the time.

Alas.
    Agreed! While I hate that folks assume I'm on call for my job 24/7 b/c I have a personal smart phone that gives me access to email, voice, etc. - the fact that some folks seem to MAKE themselves perpetually unavailable is irritating. if I can figure out the technology, anyone can!! LOL NOT my forte!

Alterageous - call them again. I agree...you're def not at stalker/creeper stage, yet.

Thanks, all, for your kind words and encouragement. It means a lot.

Rain here today so no riding. Plus I caught my husband cold, so probably lying low for a few days feeling somewhat sorry for myself. Just kidding. . Maybe I'll just snuggle up with a good book and my two dogs.

Cheers!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by ClassyRide View Post

You’re lucky that River is good about water! I’ve never had a problem with mine, but I had a good friend whose TB would do everything in his power not to dip his hoof in water of any kind. She evented him prior to my knowing them, and apparently water jumps were very interesting for them. I think it’s wonderful that you rode him out there, if nothing more than to let him experience the flooded arena and be sure he’s ok with it. Besides, a ride every now and then that focuses on perfecting the basics is a wonderful thing!
    He really is the most laid back, chilled out Thoroughbred I've ever worked with. If his owner didn't know his breeders personally I'd wonder if they got the breed wrong, lol. Funnily enough the barn kids all think he's some kind of insane monster horse. He started hogging the gate and therefore making it impossible to get other horses out of the field. Poor guy, all he wanted was some attention! Owner has had a lot of difficulties since moving here so as far as I can tell has only made it to the barn a few times in the 3 months River's been there. He's been treated a bit too much like a pet so some of his ground manners are "interesting" but I love his personality and overall laid back manner, so I'm not complaining. He definitely proved that he had a good brain yesterday & I think he actually enjoyed splashing through the water!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Tiger Horse – I’m glad you’re alright! So sorry the ground broke your fall again. I’ve had my fair share of falls, but especially when I was first getting started. It seems like that’s the toughest, because your muscles and balance just aren’t there yet. As time goes by, you’ll be able to sit the spooks no problem. Or, even better, maybe you’ll figure out the key to the spooking and be able to get your horse over it.
    I so wish I could attribute it to just getting started - hunt seat, yes - but, I've been riding over 40 years! Dressage the last 3 years. I suppose it is a bit different - but still . . .

The more I think about it - it was so my fault. He was pretty fresh and I should have lunged him first - just to get his mind in the game. I was tired and cold, and just wanted to ride while I had the indoor to myself. That will teach me about taking shortcuts! Oh well, no worse for the wear and surprisingly enough after I hopped back on, I never gave it a second thought. We just went on about our business.

I keep chanting . . . spring is right around the corner . . .
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

So at lunch time, I took the plunge and purchased a new show bridle and some khaki breeches . . . oh lordy, what am I getting myself into! I hope the bridle is as nice as it sounds - it's on clearance (1/2 off) at VTO (a Courbette show bridle in Newmarket). The breeches were on sale too.

Sorry, one (what might be) a very silly question - are schooling shows considered recognized competition? There is a nearby venue having an "event within an event" but it is "open only to horses who have never competed in a recognized competition".
    Last edited by Tiger Horse; Feb. 13, 2013 at 05:17 PM. Reason: question added
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

You go, TigerHorse! I have a Courbetter bridle that I like.

To me, schooling shows are not "recognized". I think of recognized as A-rated (AA) shows. I call the schooling shows either schooling or local shows. I think the show you are looking at would be for those who have not shown their horses in A shows. Maybe even B shows, but we don't have any of those around here anymore! If you've only done schooling with your horse, you would be fine! Good luck if you enter!
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    You go, TigerHorse! I have a Courbetter bridle that I like.

To me, schooling shows are not "recognized". I think of recognized as A-rated (AA) shows. I call the schooling shows either schooling or local shows. I think the show you are looking at would be for those who have not shown their horses in A shows. Maybe even B shows, but we don't have any of those around here anymore! If you've only done schooling with your horse, you would be fine! Good luck if you enter!
    I'm hoping the Courbette is nice - regular price is similiar to some of the nicer bridles I've seen, if that's any indication.

We've just done some schooling shows, so I guess we'll be OK. Not sure what I am going to do yet - there is a hunt/jump show at the end of March at a really nice facility - but it's about an hour away and would require going up on Friday and staying most of the weekend. The other "event within an event" is only about 20 min away and we could go late afternoon Sat and return early evening Sunday - not to mention it's really cheap. It would entail a simple dressage test and a simple jump course. I'm leaning towards the later, but we'll see.

Tiger horse: It sounds like it will be a schooling show for horses who have as the prize list says for horses who have not shown is a reconized show. A show which is rated AA, A, B, C etc. So I would say go for it and have fun. .

Paradox farm nice video nice horsie..

Well all moved in...kinda sorta. UUUGGGG can I craw in a cave and not come back out or about a month? Just me and my BCX? Pretty please... I can quarentee you it is impossible to fit a 2800sqft 6bdrm house into a maybe a 1000sqft 2bdrm apt. While playing ringmaster to 4dogs 1 of which is a female in heat .... And one of the other is on 'roids" for a health problem and unusally aggressive( he has another half month on them then I hope he returns to normal).Which turned into an unplanned Vet run which almost emptied the Vet fund after a reset of a hind foot of another dog after a pile of dog.
    The female has had apts to be fixed but stuff keeps coming up.. kike oh what was the name of that hurricane not Katrina but the one that hit about a year or so after Gustav is that it? And another was last May.. And several other things such is my life.

The weather here is not condusive to riding without an indoor. I am hoping for next month that should give me time to locate my bridle and breast plate and one paddock of two different pairs ( don't ask I don't know how).
    I had an interesting conversation with DH...Which ended in a win win for me. He " Made me a deal" I guess because he is afraid I will take a header off and get hurt ( and it turns out my youngest DH is also). My plan is to get Toby ready for the show ring by late June early July. Figure a month to get my body back in the swing of things I have already contacted a trainer in my area when the weather breaks I will haul in for lesson etc. But any way Dh said if I am hurt in any way a Pro will ride Toby in the shows if not I will. So it's win either way Toby get in the ring.
    Friend of bar .ka

Folks I am in a rough spot. The winters are hard on Feronia because of her arthritis, and this winter has been brutal. She's been stiff, hard to warm up, very cranky. I don't like how much I have to push her (pony-club kick or whip) to get her moving and keep her there. She's not "tying up" BTW.

She is on a good joint supplement, monthly IV polyglycan (please don't start on me about how it's "off label"; it works, or has worked until recently anyway), chiro about every 6-8 weeks (and she is overdue at this point), joint injections as needed (which is about twice a year for hocks, occasional stifles or SI), etc. Vet is starting her on Robaxin to see if there's a muscle issue as she is SO tight. Back-on-Track products help a little.

Needless to say this is very expensive and I hate having her be so unhappy in work. I am at my wits' end.

I am considering starting to look for another horse -- definitely another Morgan, I can't help myself and we're never gonna be in the hunter/jumper ring because I'm mostly not allowed to jump. One of my saddle fitter's clients actually left New England when her horse got like this and moved to South Carolina, and it "cured" the horse's problems. But that's not an option for me.

I'm so upset I can't do anything. I keep crying, can't distract myself with anything.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

quietann, I wish I had some words of wisdom for you, but I don't. Just know that I, and all of us here, send you hugs and all the support you need.
    And nothing bad happened!

Quietann, I was going to suggest robaxin and physical therapy, such as the back-on-track products. I hope the robaxin does the trick. The winter can be hard on arthritics. Are you opposed to using an NSAID at all? Like Equioxx or something else? Just to get through the "ouchy" parts... usually once arthritics have gotten past the painful part and get going, they're more comfortable.

Paradox, nice video!! So glad you're back in the saddle

Classyride, how is the move going? I can't believe your horses are in that situation, how horrible. It's like a vicious cycle that needs to be broken.

Alterageous, have you heard from the barn yet? I can't believe that a business wouldn't be on top of returning emails/calls in this day as you're right, they're losing business AND your confidence. Maybe there was some extenuating circumstances? Just giving them the benefit of the doubt...strike 1.

Well, things are going pretty well with being a new horse owner. It's nerve wracking!! Can anyone commiserate and listen to my whining? And tell me this is normal? LOL

There are days when he's simply brilliant and he understands things like bending and flexing and what I want, and there are times when he lets me know he's only turning 5 and recently gelded and gets distracted. The thing I have to be thankful for is that he hasn't done anything stupid under saddle.
    I'm kind of frustrated in myself since he goes better for my trainer than me (which I do expect of course) and while I have really good rides during our lessons, the times that I take him out on my own can be frustrating. I struggle with knowing how to push him to work enough and respect my requests, but not overwhelming him or frustrating him. I try my HARDEST to just be consistent and repetitive but I feel like he's getting anxious when I ride him instead of relaxed because he doesn't know what I want. We tried doing flatwork exercises which he likes, like trot poles, serpentines, and figure eights, but I am not sure what else I should work on with him. He needs to learn to lunge (especially how to whoa!) which is an entirely new concept to him admittedly from his previous owner. He HAS the mind to learn the new ideas and understand but sometimes he gets anxious or confused and it makes me upset, and he senses that in me. We did have some great times in our lessons, though, including jumping a few jumps/crossrails (god he's cute). He takes care of me and really will try to find the right distance, whether it's an add or a long one (though we're going for adds now). Such a good boy.

I should be more forgiving of him in general since he has been through a lot lately. In the last 2 weeks:
    -Got hauled into the equine clinic for a dental float, radiographs of the mouth, pulling wolf teeth and retained baby teeth
    -right side of castration site got infected and we're doing an ongoing battle with the pus... got 2 shots of Exceed after 1 week of SMZs did nothing. Culture of the wound is pending. He's not really sore anymore there or swollen but it's still infected, ya know? His neck was sore the other day from the shot in the neck and he definitely had a harder time going around.
    -Changed feed from Nutrena Compete (28% NSC) to Seminole SafeCompete (9% NSC) which will hopefully help with some of the nervous energy.
    -Inadvertently made his mouth sore by trying a new bit, a loose-ring snaffle which ended up just being too big. His poor mouth was sore afterwards The next day when we went back to the rubber mouth snaffle he was soft but sore.

The other day he broke the crossties. I was clipping his legs by myself and he wasn't reactive or antsy or anything. I guess I got too close to the skin and he was twitchy and I raised my voice to yell "QUIT" and he threw his head up, leaned on the cross ties, broke the one crosstie, and then broke the breakaway on his halter. Then he turned, skittered down the aisle (with the other horses whinnying and egging him on!) and ran into his stall. SIGH. Tried it again, and same result. I gave up. My trainer and I finished clipping yesterday. He really wasn't bad or anxious at all. She did it perfectly. I felt bad that I didn't know how to do it. The spot where I got him yesterday had razor burn and was oozy too. My poor boy.

Has anyone ever felt like this before? I love my new horse to death and I am SO excited about the prospect he brings, and I know it's going to be a slow road. But I feel like I should be able to do more and accomplish more on my own, and I feel stupid not knowing how to do things properly that doesn't result in either hurting him physically or mentally. I am scared of ruining him, even though my trainer has scoffed at the idea. I can't afford to keep him in constant training for months and months and need to do the footwork by myself to a large extent. But I feel like when I try sometimes I fail. Now I feel like he doesn't respect me or love me. I know it's irrational but that's how I feel.

EDIT: I really do love him. Looking back my post is all negative...but I really do love riding him, and I know he's right for me. He's a dream to ride and has SO much ability. He's forgiving and intelligent if not a little sensitive emotionally. I just have days when my confidence isn't what it should be, and it affects him. Last week I had a rough day though and I spent probably 20 minutes ranting to my trainer and barn friends, and he must have been listening...he was incredible when I rode him!
    Last edited by Pancakes; Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:10 AM.

{{{quietann}}}

I so feel for you, and I'm very sorry you're going through this. I've been in a very similar situation as you, and it felt like a lesson in futility trying to get my gelding right again. His issues were a little different, but he was consistently NQR for 6+ months - trainer and I would think he was getting better, I'd get on him and putz (not even real work!) and then he'd go NQR again. We tried so many things...

Only you know what the right solution is for you, but I can tell you that in my own situation, that is when I solidly decided to get a second horse. I'd been thinking about doing it and window-shopping anyway because I had riding goals my gelding didn't find enjoyable (I wanted to jump, he hates it), but this was the thing that made me start calling people and *really* looking.

I'm so glad I did it - my gelding continued to have on and off NQR problems for about a year after I got my mare. Since I had her to ride, I mostly retired him and would just get on him to putz around the yard about once a month. The rest seemed to do him good, because he pretty much worked out of it and hasn't taken a lame step in over a year now.

Like I said, that's just my experience, but I wanted you to know it's ok to look for a second horse if you want and if it's a financially viable option. Feronia won't mind being a pet - be sure to give her attention, but I'm sure she won't mind not having to work. It may go a long way with her, but even if it doesn't help her stiffness and other issues, at least it keeps her from having to work when she's sore/stiff and gives you another way to ride.

There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here who could maybe give you other, better options. But there's absolutely no shame in looking for a second beast - they are like potato chips, you know.

Pancakes, you're not crazy. I've been there! More times than I'd like to admit...

Being a horse owner is a learning process - and it's one of those things where the really knowledgeable people just never stop learning. Every horse is different, every situation is different, and there's no way to learn everything there is to know.

Please be easy on yourself. Your boy adores you in spite of the little mistakes. I may not know your boy personally, but I can confidently say that because all three of my horses have all continued to love me in spite of the mistakes I've made with them. And I haven't ruined any of them. As long as your intentions are good and you learn what you can from the mistakes, that's what really seems to count in my mind.

The riding will get better with time as you two get to know each other. And as far as the clipping experience, don't sweat it. Like I said, I've messed up with stuff, too...

Velvet, despite being very level-headed, is quite sensitive to aids. When I was first teaching her how to lunge, I had a couple of sessions with her that I now pretend never happened. I'd push her a little too hard or move the whip too fast, and she'd bolt - running like a bat out of he** back to her stall from the indoor arena, kind of like what you described. I just had to learn to listen to her and read her body language better. My gelding is a lazy bum when lunging, but God forbid I actually crack the whip at Velvet! All she needs is for me to raise it 2 feet off the ground, thank you very much. That's all she needs, and she lets me know when I've been too loud about it.

Please don't worry yourself about any of this. These are the mistakes we *all* make when we get a new animal. Remember - they're all different, and we have to learn about each horse just like they have to learn about us.

Btw, thank you for asking about the move, Pancakes. The stage is set, I just have to do it. Tomorrow will be spent seeing my "kids" in the morning and cleaning out the tack box at the current barn; then in the afternoon I'll head to the new place to sign paperwork, cut a check, and give them a copy of the coggins. And then Sunday will be moving day for the kids! I'm so excited - I can't wait!

quietann - I am so sorry, I wish I could make it all better {{hugs}}

Pancakes - welcome to the wonderful world of horse ownership! As ClassyRide said "you're not crazy" and yes, we've all been there. It is a learning process - for both of you. We all make mistakes, the key is to learn from them. You are just starting to figure each other out - it will get better - promise. That's not to say you won't still have some "moments" because you are working with a living, breathing, thing that does occassionally have opinions of its own!

Btw, thank you for asking about the move, Pancakes. The stage is set, I just have to do it. Tomorrow will be spent seeing my "kids" in the morning and cleaning out the tack box at the current barn; then in the afternoon I'll head to the new place to sign paperwork, cut a check, and give them a copy of the coggins. And then Sunday will be moving day for the kids! I'm so excited - I can't wait!
    Excited for you - hope the move goes smoothly!

Managed to have a decent ride last night with no unauthorized dismount! Mentioned my puzzlement to trainer (I've been bounced off more in the past month, than I have been in years) - her thought was that I am concentrating so hard on my position, etc. - I'm not recognizing the "warning" signs. I'll bet she's right. Oh, the joys of a new discipline on my "winter" horse - I should have done this in August. On the other hand - I will learn to stick!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Horse View Post
    Managed to have a decent ride last night with no unauthorized dismount! Mentioned my puzzlement to trainer (I've been bounced off more in the past month, than I have been in years) - her thought was that I am concentrating so hard on my position, etc. - I'm not recognizing the "warning" signs. I'll bet she's right. Oh, the joys of a new discipline on my "winter" horse - I should have done this in August. On the other hand - I will learn to stick!
    Oh, man! I'm one of those people who thinks too hard about one thing and ends up forgetting about the other stuff. I totally feel for you - I bet that's what happened, too! Yes, you'll learn to stick. Here's hoping you grow velcro in that saddle sooner rather than later. Sounds like you're going in the right direction, though - congrats on the good ride!

bumknees, sounds like a win/win for you and Toby. Keep us posted. Glad the move is about done for you. Have fun settling in.

quietann, sorry for your having to deal with arthritis in your baby. That's tough. Maybe he just needs the winters off? Maybe you can find a lease or free lease for winter riding for yourself? Good luck. I know it's not easy.

Pancakes, you and your pony are just having growing pains. It's normal. We all go through that. Especially with a young horse. He will do something perfectly, and then maybe the next day he'll act like he's never done it before. It's okay. Just be patient as much as you can. He's green, and does green things. I think you will be fine! And don't stress over your trainer being able to get more out of your horse. Someone is always more talented than we are and can ride better. The best riders probably have even BETTER riders that can get more out of a horse. That's okay! We can only strive to learn to be our own best rider. I think you are doing fine. This relationship will take months to gel, so to speak.

Classyride, I CANNOT wait till you get your babies moved. I'm excited for you. Keep us posted!! Hope everything goes smoothly.

Tigerhorse, I can understand what you're going through. Sometimes I worry so much about one thing, say, heels down over a fence, that I forget to get my distance. It's okay. It'll come together. Don't think too hard! Glad you had a nice ride and stayed put.

I had my fourth ride yesterday. It was a beautiful sunny 58º out. I had my longest ride yet, maybe 30 minutes. The ankle was fine. I even felt good enough to hop a crossrail two times. It was great. No pain! Yay! It actually bothers me more walking than it does in the saddle now. So I'm happy about that. I will ride again this weekend. I've been striving for every other day. Not quite there yet, but it's a start. Maybe I can show this spring after all. We'll see.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!!!

-d.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Congrats Paradox - sounds like you are making good progress and are smart enough not to push it!

"Don't think too hard!" - exactly right and something I struggle with!
    Last edited by Tiger Horse; Feb. 15, 2013 at 03:16 PM. Reason: addition