The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 144 of 345 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146154194244 ... LastLast
Results 2,861 to 2,880 of 6892

Sounds like we are ALL ready for warmer weather and better footing!!

Rode Sat & Sun - lots of trotting and bending in the ring. The footing is too sketchy elsewhere to risk it, I feel. Started pouring rain here about 2 hours ago...3 more days of rain forecasted within this week. Suckfest. REALLY ready for things to dry out. We don't have an indoor and I'd love to be able to pop the new mare over a few fences... Patience, Grasshopper... blech.

Cheers to a great week for everyone, where ever you are!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Raining here so no riding today . I went to stay w/ my mom last weekend as she was home alone so haven't ridden since Thursday. I'm going to be in desperate need of fresh air and horses by the time I get to the barn tomorrow morning!

Hope all of you in the north east are staying safe, warm & dry!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Hey everyone. Sorry I’ve been absent for a couple of weeks – life gets so busy sometimes. I’m glad to hear that a few of you who weren’t able to ride for one reason or another are back in the saddle and kickin’ some butt! Great job!!! I’m so happy for you!

Can I just rant a little??? Well, actually, a lot. Hahaha.

I think everyone who has a horse they love can understand the protectiveness we feel toward them – right? And I know that not everyone loves my horses like I love them. I totally get that. But, I get upset sometimes with the BO where I have my horses. If you haven’t read other posts by me, I will be leaving there soon (scheduled to move them on Sunday – thank goodness the long wait is over) for a few reasons. Nothing terrible, but not the optimal situation. One issue is that over the last 9ish months turn-out time has been cut significantly. The horses used to go out in at least 8 hour shifts (sometimes more like 10 hours). That was excellent for my horses – especially Gabriel (coming 20 years old and just mentally hates being cooped up). Unfortunately, my horses are lucky to get out 3 or 4 hours anymore. This isn’t good for my baby horse, because she needs to stretch her legs and get her energy out. This isn’t good for my 10 yr old mare because she has a tendency toward colic, so she needs to move about. This isn’t good for my old guy because he simply gets grumpy and sour when kept inside that much.

This issue has been snowballing, which is probably the biggest reason I'm moving them. I’ve tried multiple times to request they go out more. First, I was told my 10 yr old mare looks longingly at the BO if she walks past the gate. So, she must hate being outside and BO feels horrible keeping them out longer. ??? As they were inside more, the baby horse was understandably getting a little hyper. I pointed this out and asked again to let them go out more. She said the baby horse runs around like a nut job, so she has stopped turning them out in footing that is even slightly wet or slippery for fear she'll break a leg (in other words, they’ve barely been outside the last couple of months AT ALL). If she’d let the horses out, the baby wouldn’t run around like a dork ‘cause she wouldn’t have so much pent up energy. This has escalated even more – when I went out there Saturday they weren’t turned out because it was windy. The footing was perfect, but BO was afraid they’d all run around like nuts and hurt themselves because the wind would spook them.

All along, I've been telling her this is not good mentally for Gabriel (the old guy). He is my heart horse, I got him from a rescue (he was nearly starved to death when they got him), he was the angel that put up with re-teaching me how to ride - I'm pretty protective of him and plan to give him the best life he can have for the rest of his days. Well, she complained to me a couple of weeks ago that Gabriel was trying to herd the other horses away from the gate, getting in their way and trotting around them when she's trying to bring them inside from turn-out. I explained this is because *he* doesn’t want to come in, but he also doesn’t want to be apart from his herd. She was worried it was kind of dangerous. I took the opportunity to say that if they were outside longer, he wouldn’t have a problem coming in. I’ve owned this horse for 8 years. I know how he thinks and how sour he can get if he’s kept inside too much. But he mellows right out when he gets outside for a good length of time. This explanation did nothing to change her opinion. She wanted to turn him out by himself, but I refused – he’s the type that would just work himself into a dripping sweat running the fence line if he was alone. Again, I said it’d be best for everyone if they were out more. She refused.

The other day, my fiancé was talking to BO over the phone because they are a family member of his, just chatting about various things. BO said to him during the convo that she’s concerned about me moving the horses. She said that Gabriel is becoming a very grumpy, sour, old man of a horse and she’s worried he’s going to hurt one of the other two. She doesn’t think they should be turned out together and he’s just going to continue to get more sour and dangerous (to the other horses) with age. …Uuumm – excuse me??? I don’t even know how many times I’ve explained to her that Gabriel needs turn-out. He hates to stay inside. How many times have I requested her to turn them out more, but in return, they’ve been turned out less and less. I hit the roof about this because my non-horsey fiancé then came to me, genuinely concerned that Gabriel was becoming dangerous and asking me not to turn him out with the other horses. OH MY GOD!!! This horse is a freakin’ SAINT! Yes, he needs turn-out. Yes, he’s king of the herd (alpha, but NOT AGGRESSIVE). But he is not, has never been, and will never be a dangerous horse.

I’m sorry – this rant is probably ridiculous, but this just struck the wrong nerve. I’m pretty livid, ‘cause this is my heart horse and she’s now telling other people; people who don’t know any better; that he’s a dangerous animal. If she wants to think that, that’s fine. But to me, this crossed a line. I am SO happy that I’m leaving there and that I’ll have my horses much closer to home, in a barn where they'll be turned out 10+ hours a day, in less than a week. I’m counting the minutes…

ClassyRide, your rant is not ridiculous. I can totally understand where you're coming from. Then to have someone tell another that your horse is dangerous because of something they're actually doing...poo. Sorry you're going through that. And I am SO happy you are moving next weekend. Good for you and good for your horses. They need their turnout. It fixes so many ills. Good luck.

Is anyone totally snowed in???
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Okay, I had my third ride on Saturday. It was so nice out, I just enjoyed being out there and being able to get on my horse. My ankle feels a little better each ride. As a matter of fact, when I got off Saturday, it actually felt like my ankle had loosened up from riding! My husband took a short video of me (I was out videoing him riding, so had the camera there). I wanted to see what the ankle looked like. I had dropped my stirrups two holes, so actually my right foot was reaching for my stirrups a lot. So much so that my husband focused on the right ankle, which is my good ankle, and not as much on the left, or bad ankle. Anyway, I'll post it here because I feel safe. I wouldn't post this to the forum at large. I know it's not pretty. But I was just happy to ride! I do see, though, that I have gotten out of shape, big time. I think I gained 15 pounds since the whole ankle thing. Too much being imobile, and then I used that as an excuse to eat junk. Need to get back on track. Anyway, here is me and Chico: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU3BB-FzTsA He was so good just plodding along for me.

Have a great week, all!
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

ClassyRide, I am glad to hear you're getting your horses out of that situation. I rather suspect your current BO will be just as happy to have you gone, but OTOH she's losing some $$$ by you taking your 3 horses away.

I've seen a couple of BOs get really weird about turnout. I think it's mostly because turning horses out and bringing them in is a chore. Current BO, luckily, is not one of those, although turn-out time is limited to 6 hours at most because of how the staff are scheduled... She even got most of the horses out on Saturday at the end of the blizzard for a couple of hours. The only time they aren't turned out is Thanksgiving and Christmas Day (though owners may come and T/O as long as they stick around to bring them back in), or if everything's a sheet of ice.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

ParadoxFarm, what an adorable horse, and he's clearly taking care of you (mine is the same, and for all that I complain, just that one characteristic is enough for me to keep her.) You look fine -- just like you haven't been riding much, which is obviously the case.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Horse View Post
    Quietann glad to hear you are a-ok! That was some storm.

Welcome to my world - I bought my guy because I wanted to pursue dressage. But, he so wants to be a hunter. He tries hard to do the dresage work, but there is no joy in it. Since I have made the switch - we are both having a blast! So, get your vest - I have one - and have fun.
    With mine, it's even worse... She used to be a low-level eventer, and she absolutely LOVED every minute of it. Dressage was much more tolerable for her when she knew the jumps would come soon. I never got to do eventing with her; we would have needed a lot more training, and then I had my accident a few months after I bought her.

But yes, time to get a vest already and get back to it, even if "it" is trotting 12 inch crossrails for the rest of our lives together. Pure dressage isn't where we belong; she is a true Morgan in her versatility.

Thanks, quietann. Yeah, he's a good boy.

Hey, if 12" crossrails are good, they're good! Like we all say, riding is supposed to be fun. So whatever it takes. All of our horses are different and excel or enjoy different things. Right now I would love to do 12" crossrails. I was so tempted to trot that crossrail (in the video) but I didn't. I really don't think the ankle is ready for that yet! Hopefully soon.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Lookin' good Paradox!

quietann - there's nothing wrong with 12" crossrails - just go out and enjoy!

ClassyRide - at least you're almost out of there, thank goodness. No one knows your horse(s) like you do.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Moved my ottb to a boarding barn and put her into training almost a month ago. After keeping my horses at home for 16 years I am LOVING this!

I love having company to ride with and because I look forward to it more I'm riding more. Plus my non supportive husband has had a change of heart after seeing how happy I've been lately! He's actually encouraging me to make time to ride and has even gone out to the barn with me twice!!

Yay, Paradox!

quietann - ditto on the nothing wrong with 12" crossrails.

Yesterday was a win/win! I rode the qh mare and a brave, quiet, confident young lady rode Finn. She rode him in the jump field, all three gaits. I got to watch a lot of it, he was forward, but good for her. Why, because she, unlike me, does not suck wind and freeze when he gets forward. That's what HE needs. She is going to ride him about 3x a week - gets him worked, she gets to ride, win/win all around!

Meanwhile, the qh mare was very good for me. Had two of the nicest canter departs (one each way) I have had on a horse in a long time. And, quietann, speaking of cross rails, there just happened to be one set up in the ring. So, I asked She Who Shall Not be Banged in the Mouth Lest Ye Suffer the Consequences if she would like to go over it. Would she! You bet! It's the first time I have jumped in forever. I squeezed too tight with my leg which caused us to canter away (oh well) but did not whack her in the face!

Classyride - every time I read something from someone about a barn that limits turnout I cringe. I know some barns are not set up (space) for all day turnout, but geez. At my barn, the horses get fed at 8 and 8, in between they are out. If there is any running or dork behavior, it comes from three reasons - it may be chilly/windy when they first go, but then everybody heads to the hay bale and/or grazes. Or, the class clown decides there is a monster in the woods and they all play "OMG We Run Now". The third is the race to the water tank - don't know why, but they will all run like crazy to get to the water when they decide, as a group, that it's time to drink.
    And nothing bad happened!

ParadoxFarm, that video is *awesome*!!! I smiled the entire time I watched it because I was so happy for you to be back up on Chico. Don’t worry a bit about your equitation or strength right now – it’ll all come back. Right now, just putz around and enjoy it! You look fabulously happy up there, and that’s all that matters. It’s wonderful to have a mount you can trust when you’re coming back from injury – Chico is definitely one of those! What a good boy.

Quietann, you rock those 12” crossrails like they’re Grand Prix fences! You and your Morgan just go out there and have fun with it. I wish I was there – I’d make a feeble attempt at playing the part of the announcer as you sail over 6’ oxers.

Rebels_Princess, how awesome is that??? I’m so glad you’re getting to ride with other people! It really is a wonderful thing. I have a friend at the barn I’m moving my horses to and I can’t wait to be able to ride with her – it really does worlds for your motivation. And way to go to your hubby for joining you at the barn!

Jaslyn, sounds like yesterday was fantastic – I’m so glad! Finn will enjoy his rides with the young lady, and you enjoy your rides on SWSNBBITM. Fantastic that she went right over the crossrail – what a good girl! And kudos on getting the nice canter departs. Fantastic, I say! Fantastic!

Thanks so much Paradox, Quietann, Tiger Horse, and Jaslyn for making me feel a little bit better about the situation. It’s sad, because when I first came there she and I were of the same mind on things. I really don’t know what has changed, but we are now on two completely different pages here. There are always times when a group of horses will play "OMG We Run Now" (ROFL), and that's just normal. No need to coop them up because of it (which only compounds the need to fart, buck, and run).

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

ClassyRide - so sorry you're going through so much barn drama, and bet you'll be relieved to be out of there! Limited turnout SUCKS, I think we can all agree there!

PF - YAY! Glad the ankles are improving every time.

Jaslyn - glad you have such a great situation worked out, sometimes it can be a relief to have some help with riding time & takes so much pressure off.

As for me, I rode River-the-TB in a river today. Literally. The arena was soooo wet, apparently it has no drainage whatsoever. But I was itching to be in the saddle & for some fresh air, so we just did some walk-halt-walk stuff & worked on bending/stretching. It was a very relaxing ride, and River is SUCH a good boy, I cannot wait to get him on a proper trail ride and hopefully a beach ride. His owner wants him ridden out as much as possible so he is good for her when she takes him on organized trails. Tried him in a french link and he went way more nicely than in the eggbut, which is what I was hoping for - YAY!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Very frustrated right now. I took an evaluation lesson that I really liked, and the next week I had to cancel due to the blizzard. Despite an email and a call, the farm will not return any of my contacts to tell me when I can return for another lesson. I'm pretty peeved off at them since they're losing lesson money AND board money AND a possible commission, but also because they are one of the only games in town for having lesson horses to ride.

A friend has graciously offered me a horse to ride whenever I want, but she is a lot braver than I am and her horses can be VERY fresh. It makes me a little nervous especially since I have not ridden seriously in so long.

I'm beginning to feel like buying my own is going to be the only way to get good saddle time consistently, which is making me feel rushed. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Alterageous View Post
    Very frustrated right now. I took an evaluation lesson that I really liked, and the next week I had to cancel due to the blizzard. Despite an email and a call, the farm will not return any of my contacts to tell me when I can return for another lesson. I'm pretty peeved off at them since they're losing lesson money AND board money AND a possible commission, but also because they are one of the only games in town for having lesson horses to ride.

A friend has graciously offered me a horse to ride whenever I want, but she is a lot braver than I am and her horses can be VERY fresh. It makes me a little nervous especially since I have not ridden seriously in so long.

I'm beginning to feel like buying my own is going to be the only way to get good saddle time consistently, which is making me feel rushed. Sigh.
    How long has it been since you contacted the new barn? I had to leave a message to get into the place I ride now and I think it took like a week for a callback. It was a little awkward getting started.

I understand how you feel about buying a horse. I don't want to buy one until I've got a little more experience. I'm afraid at this point I could easily be over horsed!

Event4life - sounds like a very productive ride.

Alterageous - I can certainly understand your frustration - can you just swing by the barn and chat in person?

Ended up hitting the ground again tonight. Not too hard and didn't hit my head/helmet - thank goodness. Gosh, I hope this trend stops pretty soon, I'm getting too old for this! I sure wish I could figure out what is prompting these huge spooks - seems to be in about the same place every time - but we can go weeks at a time between them - maybe we just need to work harder!
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Tiger Horse - sorry to hear about the unauthorized dismount. The Amazon came to me w/a history of hard spooks w/her most recent owner. IDK all the circumstances but the more I've fooled with her, something's got HER confidence shaken. Ring work is no big deal for the most part as far as looking hard at stuff, but anywhere else, we take a pal. Denny Emerson used the term "bumper car" on his FB page in reference to the steady eddies used to accompany the OTTBs or nervous/tightly wound horses. I like that term and I love the idea of traveling w/a bumper car around until I have more miles on the Amazon!

Paradox - LOVE the video!!

We are in full blown mud season with what seems like rain/precip with infrequent bouts of sunshine. Never any time for the footing to dry out. FRUSTRATED! Rode today and slip, slided away. Realized just how out of shape I am having to hold it all together...the Amazon doesn't like large equipment trailers or the tall houses for the purple martins. Oh - and we jumped a big ditch today...NOT. Silly mare jumped over a narrow trickle of run off. Was I ready for it? no. Caught the poor girl in the mouth. Tmrw = rain. Thurs & Fri sunny and beautiful to tease & trick us since the weekend is wintry mix Saturday and a high of 38 on Sunday. I should really shut up and quit whining though as I could be folk who dreams of owning a critter, but doesn't even get a chance to be around them.

Quote Originally Posted by twelvebelles View Post
    How long has it been since you contacted the new barn? I had to leave a message to get into the place I ride now and I think it took like a week for a callback. It was a little awkward getting started.

I understand how you feel about buying a horse. I don't want to buy one until I've got a little more experience. I'm afraid at this point I could easily be over horsed!
    I really hate how hard it is to get ahold of horse people. It's 2013. I operate almost solely by email and I would think it wouldn't be complicated and it would be EASIER for them to read a quick email versus answering the phone all the time.

Alas.
    Last edited by soloudinhere; Feb. 13, 2013 at 08:11 AM.

Event4Life – Thanks for the kind words. I’m literally counting the hours until I can move my kids, and I’m just hoping and praying that the Colic Queen (aka Velvet) stays healthy, Gabriel holds it together mentally, and baby Rose keeps herself out of trouble for just a few more days until I come pick them up.

You’re lucky that River is good about water! I’ve never had a problem with mine, but I had a good friend whose TB would do everything in his power not to dip his hoof in water of any kind. She evented him prior to my knowing them, and apparently water jumps were very interesting for them. I think it’s wonderful that you rode him out there, if nothing more than to let him experience the flooded arena and be sure he’s ok with it. Besides, a ride every now and then that focuses on perfecting the basics is a wonderful thing!

Alterageous – So sorry you haven’t heard back from the lesson barn yet. I suppose it’s possible they don’t check their e-mails/voicemail every day. I tend to reach out to people every 2 or 3 days as a general rule; that’s not enough to be a “stalker” but it is enough to get the point across that you want to hear from them. I hope you hear from somebody today and are able to get lessons set up.

Tiger Horse – I’m glad you’re alright! So sorry the ground broke your fall again. I’ve had my fair share of falls, but especially when I was first getting started. It seems like that’s the toughest, because your muscles and balance just aren’t there yet. As time goes by, you’ll be able to sit the spooks no problem. Or, even better, maybe you’ll figure out the key to the spooking and be able to get your horse over it.

Finzean – Ugh, what crappy weather! We’ve been getting “teaser” days here, too. I completely understand your frustration!!! Just think, though – it won’t be all that long until Spring comes around and we can ride our beasts through their Spring Sillies. :P