The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 139 of 324 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149189239 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,780 of 6478

Pancakes, I agree, I love Boo's canter. I really like your horse! Sending good thoughts that his little "ailments" heal quickly.

Finzean, I'll be careful. May be a few days still, since we had major storms overnight (tornado warnings since 3:00 a.m., and now still all the rain). But I look forward to hopping in the saddle. I may even toss my western saddle on just so I don't think I need to post. And I'll only ride for a short while as both me and my pony need to get in shape! Also, aweseome on DD's wonderful ride. That'll give her even more confidence!

Dewey, hope your baby is feeling good. I did some recent ulcer research. I know Ulcergard is very expensive. If you do a search on the forum, a LOT of folks have other ideas if you want to read up on them. Lots of listers use "blue pop rocks" which is slang for the drug used on ulcers. Cheaper alternative if you wanted to look into it. I cannot remember the technical drug name, but it starts with an "O". Good luck!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Blue pop rocks = enteric coated Omeprazole. You can get it generic! It is OTC most of the time. I'm not sure where it's cheapest, but I'll be looking into it too for the new horse who also has ulcers. Ulcergard/Gastrogard are expensive, yes, though they work. Omeprazole is the only thing that will heal an ulcer, in my opinion.

Thank you guys! Bug appreciates the compliments He's such a love.

Quote Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
    Blue pop rocks = enteric coated Omeprazole. You can get it generic! It is OTC most of the time. I'm not sure where it's cheapest, but I'll be looking into it too for the new horse who also has ulcers. Ulcergard/Gastrogard are expensive, yes, though they work. Omeprazole is the only thing that will heal an ulcer, in my opinion.

Thank you guys! Bug appreciates the compliments He's such a love.
    I get this relatively inexpensively at costco, though it's still pretty expensive.

"Bug appreciates the compliments He's such a love."

Aw...a Love Bug.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Dewey - how gorgeous is your new guy?! Awww! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with him .

Finzean - good for your DD; rides like that are the best for increasing confidence levels! It is amazing how much even a walk around means to a kid. Hope the amazon continues to improve! PS....we should meet for a trail ride sometimes. I think I'm closer to you now!

Paradox - good luck with your first ride. Riding western is probably a good idea; I usually feel more secure in a western saddle.

I rode DustytheApp today. Tried a new bit (full cheek snaffle rather than happy mouth straight bar loose ring thing) & he was much better. A running martingale helped too.

I then rode River; who is such a champ & sooo much fun but very very out of shape. As in could barely canter round half of the arena. It was really windy today though and things were banging left and right but he didn't blink an eye. I finally got a chance to speak to his owner (don't worry, trainer had gotten her permission for me to ride him), and found out he's done through 2nd level Dressage. I even said to the trainer the first time I rode him that it felt like he knew a lot but had forgotten everything. Owner is happy for me to get him in shape so I can show him later in the year & we're going to sit down and get everything in writing on Sunday, so I'm very very excited for that.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

The vet said something about Omeprezol powder. I will have to price this and the "pop rocks." I know there are a hundred CoTH threads on equine ulcers, so I will have to get busy and do my research. If I find any great bargains, I will share.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Pancakes Bug looks lovely. And i LOVE the name Bug. Do you have a show name for him yet?

Dewey have you tried probiotics? I have both my horse and my son's horse on them and it seems to make a difference, especially for my son's horse. I just started him on it a few months ago and he's downright cheery, which is quite unusual for him. It only runs me about $40 a month.

Hazel, is your horse prone to ulcers?

I have been reading, and I am not quite sure what do to. Apparently having a horse on Omeprezol long term can have some side effects. Sky had only one ulcer incident, so maybe I should not plan on having her on the stuff forever but should save it for shows, etc. Thanks for the tip on probiotics. I will read up on this.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    Hazel, is your horse prone to ulcers?

I have been reading, and I am not quite sure what do to. Apparently having a horse on Omeprezol long term can have some side effects. Sky had only one ulcer incident, so maybe I should not plan on having her on the stuff forever but should save it for shows, etc. Thanks for the tip on probiotics. I will read up on this.
    I am a big fan of the probios, especially for horses who seem, er, digestively sensitive. I get it in smartpaks and it's $20 a month for 2 scoops a day. It is way cheaper if you buy a 5lb bucket but I am not convinced that this stuff doesn't go bad fairly quickly.

I haven't read the gazillion posts...just the first page. I am .47 and also have a green horse. She bucked me off last June and I broke my hip...so as you can imagine, I feel completely nervous for next time. I should just sell her and get a mature horse to enjoy, but I just can't sell her until she is trained correctly. Sh is young as well....so...sure wish I was at a boarding stable where I could ride all winter here in mi, but enjoy looking out my back window and seein them there
    I'm not high maintenance, I AM maintenance! EfS

Quote Originally Posted by Alterageous View Post
    I am a big fan of the probios, especially for horses who seem, er, digestively sensitive. I get it in smartpaks and it's $20 a month for 2 scoops a day. It is way cheaper if you buy a 5lb bucket but I am not convinced that this stuff doesn't go bad fairly quickly.
    Is that the Probios powder?

Welcome Palgal. We all go through what you are going through. This is a pretty supportive group!

I am originally from Michigan, so I can relate. That's why I moved south.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Is that the Probios powder?
    Yes. Sometimes before a show I might use the paste but the powder is way more cost-effective.

Hi everyone! Thanks for the sweet comments about Skye. I am having a blast getting to know her. We are at day 5...

I got her from a family ranch and as I have been introducing her to my barn I realized that she has never worked in an arena with more than 1 other horse... and that horse was probably related to her.

She came home Saturday - walked right in the barn, settled in like a trooper. I took her in the area for a quick lunge and a 10 minute ride later in the evening. Her old family said she was never ridden in the dark, so another new experience.

Saturday I rode her with about 7 other horses all working in the area. She kind of got a little twitchy and started sticking her butt out at people passing. I took her out of the area for about 15 minute break. She watched everyone and settled right back down. The barn manager has this huge dressage horse and I swear she was thundering up on my mare's butt just to see what would happen. She does things like that... but not one twitch after her break.

Great first lesson with her Monday. Our barn has deer that like to pop up at dusk. After my lesson I re-tacked and went back out to try a Western Saddle I have on trial. Thank goodness I had the western saddle on because we had quite the rodeo when the deer popped up. I can add that to the new experiences for Skye. I rode through it - did not get tossed and everything ended well. I think though that I may avoid the deer for a bit until she gets more settled over the next few weeks.

My big challenge right now is finding a bit I like. We started with a myler snaffle with a chain, but way too much fussy head tossing. I like the stop on it, but, never at the expense of her comfort. I am trying another snaffle with longer shanks. She seemed to do better last night.

The girl who rode her had the most amazing seat and lighest hands I have ever seen. My trainer admitted that even she has heavier hands than that girl. So, I am just trying to get used to her and find the right equipment that works. My trainer and I think she has a much softer mouth than may have been protrayed. She was using a really big curb piece, but I just don't have the hands to pull that off... so hopefully we will find the right thing soon.

I am having a blast, but I really need to figure out how to get home after work before 8 for my hubby... he's been pretty good this week too!!!!

Looking forward to an earlier ride tonight while it is light & with no deer!!!

Welcome, Palgal. There was a section of the thread in which people talked about their accidents. After reading it, I researched and bought a safety vest, which I use all the time now. You may want to consider one.

The vet said something about Omeprezol powder. I will have to price this and the "pop rocks." I know there are a hundred CoTH threads on equine ulcers, so I will have to get busy and do my research. If I find any great bargains, I will share.
    I really like Precision Pharmacy buffered omeprazole powder. Great price

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    Dewey - how gorgeous is your new guy?! Awww! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with him .
    I think you meant Pancakes...although I wouldn't mind pretending her horse is mine!

Dewey the stuff I use is called Bio8. Not sure if you have it in the States too. I took my horse to a show in the States a few years ago, which turned out to be a very long trailer ride due to no less than 6 accidents. I gave him a whole tube of probiotic paste just before he stepped on the trailer and no problems at all. My trainer swears by the stuff.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I think you meant Pancakes...although I wouldn't mind pretending her horse is mine!
    LOL I definitely meant Pancakes, WHOOPS. And yes, I wouldn't mind pretending her horse is mine either!

I hope your mare is getting better, and am glad you got to talk to your DD.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Okay, have any of you felt stalled out periodically in your re-riding? How do you get out of a riding funk?

Granted, I only ride once or twice a week, but lately I have just been feeling like I am improving at a snails pace. I started from scratch at dressage this fall and can get my equine partners in a frame and keep them there much more easily now, which is of course key, but when I try to step up horses I feel like there are all these little things that I'm still not getting and some rides lately have not been great. I know I will likely get over it at some point, but man it's frustrating. For the first time I actually want to skip a lesson this week!