The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 138 of 298 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148188238 ... LastLast
Results 2,741 to 2,760 of 5956

Thanks for asking... here are her pics. Hopefully the link will work. It is a link to my Flickr account. These were taken from the family and breeder I got her from.

WR Aint She Something - aka Skye

sfbayequine - Welcome to you and Skye! I'm laughing over your husband being along for the ride comment! DD & I made a quick run to Southern Pines yesterday for some tack shopping. Someone on COTH has a sig line that goes something like: I hope I don't die before my husband in case he tries to sell my tack for what I told him I paid for it. Or something like that My non-horsey husband refuses to acknowledge that what we do is an actual sport requiring physical & mental skill. he doesn't understand why MY horses can't be kept like cattle...oh the list goes on and on... Anyway - welcome to the group!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jaslyn1701 View Post

Tiger, as to the 27 yo schoolie being hand galloped - I am afraid I would have had to ask the teen if the BO/Owner knew that's how the horse was being ridden? I used to ride a 17ish yo TB that got dumped at my trainer/bo's barn - on the flat he was an absolute dream. But, due to arthritis, he didn't jump well and risked injury. Spoke right up when I saw somebody else on him and heading for jumps.

Then there's the oblivious teen - if I was working a horse on the rail and noticed the other riders having to hang out in the center - I would make sure they got equal riding time. We sometimes have as many as 5 in our arena - between the parking tree and the jumps, it gets a bit tight. But we all make sure to clear areas for each to ride in. When the jumpers jump, they do a course or two and retire for a bit for us flatters to do our thing.
    Jaslyn - trainer was in the barn, but I'm not sure she saw what was going on. I rode late on Friday night and I guess she did the same thing earlier, a fellow boarder mentioned that she ended up in the middle too waiting out the hand gallop.
    So, we'll see what happens.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Sfbay - she's lovely!
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Default Finally found some field boots

I scored a pair of used Konigs today for $150 - they fit me like they were made for me. So glad I kept looking!

Tiger Horse - we happened upon a pair of boots at a shop in KY that fit DD like that! And they were $50. She had no need for them but I bought them right up, of course!! LOL And she has used them worth a lot more than $50 at this point.

Pancakes how are things going with your new horse? Can you post some pics of you riding him for us?

Sfbayequine, Skye is very beautiful! Thanks for posting pics.

Sounds like some of you have found some super deals! We have a few annual consignment sales here that I always go to. Last year I scored with a new Mattes half pad for $20 and a pair of Vogels for my husband for $100. Love a good deal!n
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Finzean & ParadoxFarm, You have to love those bargains!

On another note, had a lesson today. It was really fun and we did pretty well. My one trouble spot today was coming off an outside line and making a left turn to a vertical. I was so "over steering". Had three non-jumpers in the indoor with us, so that made it pretty challenging, but all in all good lesson.

Hi everyone!!! I’ve been very busy, so I’m going to have to catch up with everyone a little later. I just wanted to post about my weekend …

On Saturday I made the 2 hour jaunt to see my kids. It was snowing pretty hard and the footing at the barn was way too bad to take them outside (they were snuggled in their stalls), so I really couldn’t do much. But I did brush them and love on them.

Gabriel nuzzled on me while I was grooming him (aaawww!!). Since Rose is coming 3, I didn’t want to do *nothing* so I stuck a surcincle and bridle on her, then ran long lines through the surcingle and bit – hooked her up as if I were going to long line her. She’s lunged before, but never long lined. So, I introduced her to the feel of it. She flexed her neck very easily both directions, gave to pressure as I asked her to set her head just a bit, then reached out and sought the contact when I let the lines out - all the way down to a "long and low" type stretch. What a good girl!!! Even though we didn’t do much, I still feel like that was a “win.”

Velvet wasn’t terribly interactive while I was grooming her, but when I was standing in the aisle wrapping my lines back up, she poked her head out, all curious about what I was doing. Velvet is a super sweet girl, but I’ve been trying to nurture her in the personality department over the few years I’ve owned her. It isn’t that she doesn’t have personality, but more like she always saw people as “strictly business” and never learned she’s allowed to be herself. So, I held the wrapped line up to her and let her sniff it. She lipped on it, then took it in her mouth. I started laughing and it’s so funny – almost like she realized, “Oh! This is ok? Sweet!” and she started tossing her head up and down to flop the line around, all the while with a cute little, “Hehe! Look what I can do!” expression. So, yeah – kinda silly for me to be proud of that, but I think it’s awesome. And when she was finished playing and dropped the line, she came over and nuzzled on me a little. Aaawww!

Later that same day I went to see my friend’s coming 3 OTTB. She asked me to teach the filly to lunge, and her little girl (Trixie) is a SUPERSTAR!! Granted, she may’ve already been through this rodeo because, even though she never raced, she was training at the track. So, assumably she’s been tacked and ridden and everything that goes along with that. But, she really wants to please and is such a good egg. She didn’t seem like she really understood what I was doing at first, but caught on VERY quickly, and was lunging like a champ by the time we ended our 20ish minute session. During that time, I tested to see if she’d react to the lunge whip – she could’ve cared less. She did W/T/Whoa both ways multiple times, did a little backing, and then my friend got on the line and did W/T/Whoa with her both ways.

So, it was an awesome horse-filled day. I can’t wait to get my “kids” closer to me. They’ll be at the same barn as my friend’s filly, so we can work our little fillies together.

I'M CLEARED TO RIDE, I'M CLEARED TO RIDE! Okay, yeah, a little excited. Had a doctor's appointment and I get to start getting out of my air cast for several hours a day, and he's cleared me to ride. It's wonderful having a doctor who was as rider and whose daughter is a big dressage rider! It has its perks. But of course it's starting to rain now, and rain tomorrow. But at least it's coming. I'm so darn excited.

ClassyRide, sounds like you had a really nice day. And sometimes it's the little things (like with Velvet) that really make your day. That's awesome! I bet you're excited to get the "ponies" closer soon! Hope it comes soon.

TigerHorse, dodging the non jumpers is ALWAYS a challenge! Good job not running into anybody.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

ClassyRide - good for you! I bet you're so excited to get them closer, especially with such a young filly. Velvet sounds a lot like one of the geldings I'm working with right now, Dusty. He's the sweetest horse ever but he's almost too mild mannered on the ground. He's been in one trail program or another most of his 11 year old life, and it definitely shows. He was also clearly neglected in the past - had bad thrush and was very skinny apparently when he first arrived. I'd love for him to show more personality & try to spend more time with him grooming etc than I do with the others.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Sfbayequine, your Skye is very flashy! My mare is named Sky also...but without the "e."
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Welcome to all new members!

Time for me to report. I am doing much better since Jack's death. DD and I had a good talk over the weekend, and we are both starting to accept it.

Sky is feeling much better. She is still on UlcerGard (OMG--that stuff is so expensive!! ) and swallows it right down. She is also on some pill the vet prescribed--can't remember what it is. I have to figure out an affordable long-term maintenance plan for her. BO says we should get some UlcerGard to keep on hand for occasional away shows and experiences likely to make her nervous. That sounds smart to me.

I've been riding her some. She has been full of herself and has been bucking and carrying on. I wasn't sure if that was due to her feeling good or feeling bad. Today she was especially wild. She was bucking every time I asked her to canter. I finally got off and lunged her in the round ring--she did about five laps in each direction at top speed interspersed with airs above the ground. After she blew off some steam, I got back on, and she was much better. She cantered quietly and even went over a couple of small jumps without exploding.

She has been cooped up a lot because of her illness last week, and then her turnout schedule changed when they changed the stalls around. BO and I agreed she needs more turnout. She is going to be out all night and then all day tomorrow. We'll see if that helps. I think it will.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Paradox - YEEHAW!! Such great news - sending great weather vibes your way. Just be careful lest you end up back in a stinky cast!

ClassyRide - you get the productivity award. I have a hard time wanting to leave the warmth of the house when it gets really cold...horses are about the only thing compelling enough!

Event4Life, I think your arrival at this barn is serendipitous for the critters. It just sounds like such a mutually beneficial situation.

Dewey - jingling healing vibes & glad it sounds like there's more peace of the Jack situation. I was our back pasture today at the equine graveyard...funny how large segments of my life are tied to various horses. My relationship with those horses...well, what words can begin to describe it. Fortunately amongst horse folk, we all just know what we're talking about.

As for me...well, today was pretty darn warm - we were in t-shirts. Wonderful time in the barn and in the saddle. Got horses worked and 12 yo DD even got brave and hopped onto the Amazon even though she was very nervous...she's seen her get bullish on the ground and isn't the bravest when it comes to equine shenanigans. All she did was walk around the ring but the Amazon is a giant with an enormous over track so I can only imagine it felt overwhelming compared to what she usually rides (the medium pony, the 15h Connie x). When we were untacking, DD said, "That was the BEST ride of my life!" Me: "The best?!?" "Yes! I was so nervous but I did it anyway!" In that moment I remembered so many times in my youth (and last week!!) when I experienced that rush of being on a horse... We are so blessed!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Finzean, I hope so! Most of the lesson kids are fairly beginner so horses like Dusty (who is not yet a lesson horse, but hopefully will be good for the more advanced/confident kiddos in the not-so-distant future) get stuck on nose to tail type trails and get sour because of it.

TB Project horse, River, was a CHAMP today. He's gone from running me over while leading to leading nicely, standing quietly in cross ties, and light flatwork in a week. I'm going to take it slowly with him as we're not 100% sure what he's done in the past, but he's definitely done something and doesn't come across as totally green under saddle. We know he at least had basic racehorse training but never actually raced. He doesn't have a tattoo that I can decipher unfortunately - how quickly do they fade?
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Anyone heard from DreaminOTTB? She hasn't put in an appearance in awhile.

.To everyone above wonderful news! Sorry I can't remember all your names and I an using my phone and haven't learned all the bells and listlese yet.

Yesterday would have been a perfecto day for me to ride but... Instead I spent it a the er with ds as his are went numb and they did tests then we had to make an apoitment. Still waiting for that. I wonder if I am ever going to ride. Today would ride but it's going to rain then the temps are going to drop life a rock into the teens. Aaaggg
    Friend of bar .ka

Hey everyone! Wow, I need to catch up badly...I was out of town for a vet conference, then a friend was visiting, and I was working, and before you know it 2 weeks flew by!

Bug/Boog/Boo is doing soooo well! I am thrilled. He's got a GREAT mind. He is settling in quite nicely even though I am always on alert because he's a huge baby ex-stallion... He is generally overwhelmed by the riding situation at first when we are out with 10 other horses in the area in other rings doing things like jumping, dressage, schooling. He wants to say hi to everyone or check things out. So my trainer and I have been trying to work on asking him to soften and listen (which he does fantastically) and then move off my leg. He's doing amazingly well. His canter is to DIE for, a big, ground-eating stride. Ugh I love him. My trainer loves him too but she hasn't ridden him yet! I'm pretty sure she'll love him 10x more when she does.

We're dealing with health issues though. The castration site got swollen and then infected, so now he's on antibiotics and we're cold hosing 2x daily. He doesn't have a fever though, and it's only one side that's infected, so we're dealing with that. And then he has to get his teeth floated since he has an overbite, get his wolf teeth removed, and he has a few baby incisors that might need to get pulled too that haven't fallen out yet. All said, they are minor issues that can be fixed, so I'm OK to deal with them.

Pictures! I have video my trainer took yesterday but it's on her phone. Here's a short, low-quality video of us cantering last week.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzRzpRV7C_o

My trainer got a new horse too! He's very sweet and gentle, though he needs to get back into shape and most likely has ulcers. We can fix that with some TLC though He's an 8 year old 15.2 chestnut TB cross. He needs a name!

OK guys, I'm off to the barn! I'll try to take pictures and video of Bug in the round pen. He's a GORGEOUS mover. I'll try to get my trainer to upload the video from yesterday to youtube too. Dare I say I might even be hot today? It'll be in the low 80s. Wahhh I know! I'll catch up when I get back later...I can't wait to see what you've all been up to.

Pancakes, you're right: Bug's canter is beautiful! I am so thrilled for you. Keeping my fingers crossed that he heals quickly--