The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 137 of 342 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139147187237 ... LastLast
Results 2,721 to 2,740 of 6829

Tiger, did the teenager ask before doing that? If not, then rightly or wrongly, I would've been upset about that, too. I haven't often had to share a riding ring (despite boarding for years, I'm usually there pretty much by myself), but every time I have, myself and the other rider(s) always communicate about what we're doing. And we ask before doing anything that may upset another horse. That way, *everyone* is prepared.

I also hope this will not be the norm. Maybe next time she comes into the arena with you, you can politely ask her, "Hi, [teenager]! My, it's cold out tonight! Kudos to you for coming out to ride. Are you planning on hand galloping [schoolie]?" If yes, "Ok. Can you please let me know right before you do? Dodger can get a little upset/bothered by it, so I want to be ready. Thank you!"

Best case scenario, she gets the hint that it bothers Dodger and either doesn't do it at all, or cuts it short. Worst case scenario, you're prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassyRide View Post
    Tiger, did the teenager ask before doing that? If not, then rightly or wrongly, I would've been upset about that, too. I haven't often had to share a riding ring (despite boarding for years, I'm usually there pretty much by myself), but every time I have, myself and the other rider(s) always communicate about what we're doing. And we ask before doing anything that may upset another horse. That way, *everyone* is prepared.

I also hope this will not be the norm. Maybe next time she comes into the arena with you, you can politely ask her, "Hi, [teenager]! My, it's cold out tonight! Kudos to you for coming out to ride. Are you planning on hand galloping [schoolie]?" If yes, "Ok. Can you please let me know right before you do? Dodger can get a little upset/bothered by it, so I want to be ready. Thank you!"

Best case scenario, she gets the hint that it bothers Dodger and either doesn't do it at all, or cuts it short. Worst case scenario, you're prepared.
    No, she didn't ask. I like your idea though - it's a way of making a point, without making anyone uncomfortable and without it seeming like I'm stepping on our trainer's toes.

The other thing that bothered me, and maybe I'm just too over cautious, is that it was pretty darn cold to have a 27 year-old TB galloping around for more than several minutes, in both directions. Whether they are feeling good or not, a little common sense in this cold, goes a long way.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Funny, ClassyRide, as I'm looking for a possible second Appy Sport Horse. I'll look at his papers here when I get a moment, as I don't know it offhand! He is the best horse I've ever had. And that's saying something as I've been riding for, oh, 34 years now! I never believe in having a "heart horse". Don't get me wrong, I've really enjoyed some of my horses. I've not enjoyed others so much. But never had one that I trusted so well. Chico is a keeper. I love this horse. He tries his heart out for me. He's not perfect, but he's definitely perfect for me! I don't doubt I could tack him up today and get on and he'd take care of me. And he has such a good attitude and kind eye. Speaking of which....

This is one of my favorite pictures of him: http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps5d369942.jpg
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

TigerHorse, I agree with ClassyRide's approach. And even moreso, I agree with you that galloping around an aged horse in an indoor for more than one lap is totally inappropriate. Hope she doesn't accidently injure the poor guy!
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    Hope she doesn't accidently injure the poor guy!
    Me too! He's a total sweetheart and a fun ride.

Trainer thought maybe she could borrow Dodger for a lesson or two with said teenager - after seeing what I saw yesterday - thanks, but no thanks.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Amen. I wouldn't want her riding mine either. Bad judgment.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Amen. I wouldn't want her riding mine either. Bad judgment.
    I don't know, I would maybe be OK with a lesson (ie supervised) if the kid is otherwise a good rider. I like to have my horses ridden by others because I like to watch them go from the ground and I think it helps keep up their ability to "take a joke" since I'm a wimpy amateur.

I agree, Alterageous. If it's supervised, that might be okay. But not free riding.

Can you tell I don't feel like working today? I'm sitting in my home office, and it's raining, and I'm getting sleepy....
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Like everyone, I wouldn't be ok with hand galloping a 27 y/o schoolie around the arena, especially in the winter, but really no matter what the weather. And also especially with other horses/riders around! If this happens frequently I'd hope it got back to the trainer, because really, a 27 y/o schoolie has probably more than paid his dues already.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I agree, Alterageous. If it's supervised, that might be okay. But not free riding.

Can you tell I don't feel like working today? I'm sitting in my home office, and it's raining, and I'm getting sleepy....
    I'm at home today too (usually home more, but have been traveling 4 days a week since last march) and it is so bitter cold that all I want to do pack it up and go back to bed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alterageous View Post
    I don't know, I would maybe be OK with a lesson (ie supervised) if the kid is otherwise a good rider.
    As long as she will follow directions. (And warm-up is usually unsupervised.)

I like to have my horses ridden by others because I like to watch them go from the ground and I think it helps keep up their ability to "take a joke" since I'm a wimpy amateur.
    I agree! My shareboarder (rides 3x per week - that incl 1 jump lesson) is a teenager and is a very kind, considerate, quiet rider. My guy does not need someone to get him all worked up - he does that well enough on his own!

I love my old-folks schoolies so I hope this doesn't come across as really hateful but wth was teenager trying to accomplish? I know there's a time & place but it just doesn't seem that this was either the time or the place.

I just wonder...what's trainer's take on the galloping...

Aside from me being over protective about an older schoolie...what she did was rude & tacky. Maybe she just doesn't know any better - which opens the door for you and/or the other adult present to kindly redirect her or do what ClassyRide suggested.

BT dubs...we are enjoying an afternoon of freezing rain. Boo. We did a little grooming but I almost felt guilty brushing the "insulating" dirt off of Pig Pen and Gigi.

How many days til spring???

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post
    I love my old-folks schoolies so I hope this doesn't come across as really hateful but wth was teenager trying to accomplish? I know there's a time & place but it just doesn't seem that this was either the time or the place.

Aside from me being over protective about an older schoolie...what she did was rude & tacky. Maybe she just doesn't know any better - which opens the door for you and/or the other adult present to kindly redirect her or do what ClassyRide suggested.

BT dubs...we are enjoying an afternoon of freezing rain. Boo. We did a little grooming but I almost felt guilty brushing the "insulating" dirt off of Pig Pen and Gigi.

I know when I was a teenager, I did stupid stuff just because it was fun for me. I didn't have the thought process to consider all angles of the situation-- going for a gallop was fun. I remember once I got yelled at (really, screamed at) for jumping cavaletti in the indoor when it was raining and the roof was making noise. To this day I have no idea why that was a big deal (my horse didn't care) but as a teenager, you just don't think about some stuff sometimes.

My 4pm call was cancelled due to impending weather conditions" so I am checking out early and going to try to make it to the tack shop to find some breeches today.

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post

He hadn't been ridden in a couple of days so he was feeling pretty good, I think she was trying to "burn off" some of the excess energy. I have found though, esp with my TB (who could canter/gallop all day and still be ready for more) that trot work takes the edge off much quicker - canter/gallop is just too easy for them.

We are looking forward to freezing rain on Sunday afternoon - had a light dusting of snow this morning - just enough to snarl traffic, then it stopped.

Spring training is 29 days away . . .

I know when I was a teenager, I did stupid stuff just because it was fun for me. I didn't have the thought process to consider all angles of the situation-- going for a gallop was fun. I remember once I got yelled at (really, screamed at) for jumping cavaletti in the indoor when it was raining and the roof was making noise. To this day I have no idea why that was a big deal (my horse didn't care) but as a teenager, you just don't think about some stuff sometimes.

My 4pm call was cancelled due to impending weather conditions" so I am checking out early and going to try to make it to the tack shop to find some breeches today.
    I guess I was lucky as a teenager - my first horse was older (25) and the woman I boarded with made sure I understood what a treasure she was and how lucky I was to have her.

Happy shopping! My search for some nice used field boots starts tomorrow.

You all stay warm and dry! Rain here, but not super cold. Have a great weekend.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Hello everyone! I think I have the credentials to join this group :-)

I am 42, returning to riding. I had three horses in high school. Western, english and hunter/jumper. Took a 23 year break (other than trail rides) and got back to it about 6 months ago.

Absolutely jumped back in and my new girl, Skye, comes home to me tomorrow. I am so excited and just a little bit nervous, becuase this time around my husband is along for the ride.

I am extatic to find this group. I think I will be chiming in with questions along the way. Some days I think I have forgotten more than I ever knew about riding and other days, I remember that I really do know what I am doing.

Great stories and this seems like a great group.

Welcome Sfbayequine!! I am also relatively new - this is a great group!

Welcome sfbayequine. Send us some pics is Skye when she gets home. Have fun.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Welcome sfbayequine!

Tiger, as to the 27 yo schoolie being hand galloped - I am afraid I would have had to ask the teen if the BO/Owner knew that's how the horse was being ridden? I used to ride a 17ish yo TB that got dumped at my trainer/bo's barn - on the flat he was an absolute dream. But, due to arthritis, he didn't jump well and risked injury. Spoke right up when I saw somebody else on him and heading for jumps.

Then there's the oblivious teen - if I was working a horse on the rail and noticed the other riders having to hang out in the center - I would make sure they got equal riding time. We sometimes have as many as 5 in our arena - between the parking tree and the jumps, it gets a bit tight. But we all make sure to clear areas for each to ride in. When the jumpers jump, they do a course or two and retire for a bit for us flatters to do our thing.
    And nothing bad happened!