The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 136 of 322 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146186236 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,720 of 6422

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post

Everyone (who boards) - If you wouldn't mind weighing in, how much a month do you spend on your horse? This is including EVERYTHING - board, lessons, insurance, extra cash aside for vet instances, shots, dental stuff, farrier, etc. I'm planning on saving up and while I do obviously have a vague idea some real life experience would be helpful! I'd say horse cost here is probably "average" - not way overpriced but not exceedingly cheap either. I know that caring is often way more than purchase price, so want to know realistically how much extra I'd need/month after buying.

All told if you divide it all out it comes to about $980 per month. I really wish I hadn't calculated that. I am going to start half leasing out my horse to cut the costs.

Completely unrelated: I finally got realistic with myself and pointed out that I don't have a need for fancy tall boots for the 4x a year local shows that I do. As a compromise, I treated myself to new paddock boots and Tucci half chaps. With spurs on, you can't tell, and this way I can change out (for much less $$) the calf when my weight changes, which I am hoping it does this year by a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassyRide View Post

PaintedHunter – omg, how ADORABLE is that high-fiving video!!! Now I’m going to *have* to teach my coming 3 year old to do that (I think she’s the only one of my 3 that could pick it up easily ‘cause she’s as much of a ham as it sounds like Ollie is). Thank you SO MUCH for sharing that!
    Glad you liked it The hard part has been teaching him to not WHACK me - we needed more finesse so he doesn't take my arm off - he's a big guy! We're now at the point where he responds to every verbal command to high-five, with gusto...it took a lot of me smacking him on the shoulder with a crop every time he either offered without me asking (could get dangerous), or him aggressively pawing instead of a gentle high-five. He's caught onto it all very quickly- much more quickly than I would have thought. He LOVES food, and loves attention- I am sure you can see his ears happily flop when I tell him "good boy."

Default I KNOW this is silly....BUT...

I had the BEST time last night doing....what? Grooming my horse. I know that sounds really goofy, but I've been on crutches for three months and just recently got the aircast and slowly started to put weight on the ankle. I'm now walking in the boot. Last night was the first time I was able to get my horse out (with hubby's help), put him in cross ties, and just groom him. Awww. He was such a good boy. But it is weird how that can be enjoyable. I picked his hooves, groomed, picked through his tail to get all the sticks out, etc. It was therapeutic.

I may have posted the pic before, but here is my boy. LOVE this horse. He's such a good "pony". I can't wait to ride. http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...ump/photo6.jpg

A few more: http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...p/DSCF0152.jpg

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...hicoFlat-1.jpg
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

1 members found this post helpful.

Super cute, ParadoxFarm.

Event4Life - I'll have to pick some of that up. Hope to hit a "new to me" tack/consignment store this weekend (still looking for field boots that fit), hopefully they will have some.

I really, really don't want to do a monthly breakdown - so, here are costs (roughly):

Board - $125 (Board: $425 - $300(shareboarder))
    Extra hay - $40 (I buy my own extra - long story)
    Ultimate Finsh (50 lbs): $40? (can't remember - lasts about 100 days, as a half pound a day seems to keep his weight just right)

Supplements - approx every 60 days or so:

MSM: $15.00
    Hoof: $35.00

Shoes (every 6 wks) - $150
    Chiro (every 6-8 wks) - $120 (this will be tapering off)
    Dentist (checked 2 times per year) - $55

Insurance: $500/year
    Lessons: pack of five (1/2 hour, private) $130

ParadoxFarm - he's lovely and no, you are not goofy. I love to groom.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

My costs:

$300 pasture board
    $20 a month own special feed (Triple Crown Lite...only gets a bit a day)
    $40 every six weeks for farrier- just a trim, as he's barefoot
    about $45 a month in supplements - electrolyte, hoof and Probios for his "juicy butt"
    $20 in treats (both packaged and apples/carrots)
    about $70 for two group lessons per month right now (probably to increase)
    averages out to about $100 monthly for all yearly vet expenses

so, that totals about $600 a month. But do I spend more? YES! Organized rail rides we have to trailer to, local showing, new tack, clothes and equipment for me, etc. comes out to at least $100 more a month, and up to $400 or so more. But those are tame-able expenses, if I reaaaaally wanted to. But I don't.

Dewey - I do believe horses have souls, dogs and cats too. Otherwise, how could animals that give so much and expect nothing much in return exist?

On a side note - I wrote after Thanksgiving about the loss of our barn pony, ahem gigantic horse, Mojo. The oddest thing happened - the day after Thanksgiving, a dog showed up at the farm, some sort of American Bulldog thing. Had a collar, no tags. Happy, happy dog - just moved right in. He has been named Hedley, as in Hedley Lamar, "That's Hedley, you fool". The discussion at the barn is: Did Mojo send him to help mitigate the loss of him?

Paradox - you are not silly. Some of the best times I have had were just grooming Finn. We have some serious discussions during those times!

I hate riding in the cold too - at my age, my limit is more in the 50's.

Event4life: Here's my info:
    Board: $350 (It's full board, 2x day feed, all the hay he can eat mostly, turn out in the am/brought in in the pm, blanket on/off as needed).
    Feet: $35 every six weeks (no shoes thank goodness)
    Vet: Shots 2x per year @ approx. $100 each
    Supplements: Not on any at present. But if needed, I provide.
    Lessons: $140 for 4 privates (but not doing any right now. Explanation to follow)
    Dentist: Checked 2x per year - not sure of cost, call it $85x2
    Chiro: $85 every four months or so
    And nothing bad happened!

My costs are similar to what PaintedHunter posted above. I spend more on the farrier and a little less on board.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Why I am not in lessons:

I lost my job in September, well, I didn't lose it, I know where it is, it just doesn't belong to me anymore. I, of course, applied for unemployment. My former employer contested my claim, after Emp. specifically told me there would be no contest. So, I had to appeal it and the hearing was yesterday. Employer did not appear, so, by default, I "win". So, when that is finalized and I get the back pay, plus going forward, will see about lessons. I need them!!!
    And nothing bad happened!

jaslyn, sorry to hear of your unemployment troubles. A couple of friends have been bitten like that, too.

Paradox, your horse is quite the handsome one. And yes, grooming time is so "worth it."

Currently contemplating whether I am *really* going to go to the barn tonight... It will be around 10 degrees F by the time I get there, wind chill of -4.

ETA: you really don't want to know what I spend on Miss Horse. Start with $750/month board, and just go up from there.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Thanks for everyone's kind comments.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Paradox - what a lovely boy! Appaloosas are the best :-D!

Everyone - thanks very much for the info, I'm glad I wasn't THAT unrealistic when I worked out costs! I'm also very, very glad I chose this area vs. some of the others I was considering (Boston [sorry quietann!] and Washington, DC - LOL).

I had another awesome barn day today. It started out having lunch w/ the trainer, which was a good time! I then headed out to the stables and rode Dustytheapp, who was a very good boy but has a long way to go. I also got to ride one of the awesome "lesson horses" (really far too good for it!), did w/t/c/j & had the most fun I've had on a horse in a looooong time. Everyone should have such cool school horses to ride. He's turned out with Dusty, and I told him to go and tell Dusty how to be a #1 lesson horse, lol. I ended with groundwork & lunging with future potential TB project horse, as by the time I got to him the BM had left & I didn't want to ride with no one else there. He's such a cutie though, he saw me coming down the lane and headed straight for the gate. The trainer calls him pathetic haha, poor guy.

In other news, during lunch the trainer offered me an actual paying JOB. WHOOP!!!!! Trail guide extraordinaire at your service :-D. Have I mentioned how glad I am I moved here & how much I love my new home????

Writing all this out is making me realize I need to start a blog!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Awesome, Event4life! Did you accept the job? If so, congrats!!

Sounds like an awesome day riding. Good for you.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    Awesome, Event4life! Did you accept the job? If so, congrats!!

Sounds like an awesome day riding. Good for you.

Yep I accepted it, & am taking a group out on Sunday!!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Great! Have fun with it.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Event4Life - How COOL is that?!?! Congrats!!

Paradox - what an awesome critter!! And I love having Day to Beauy-Tay at the barn! Everyone gets super groomed. The only 2 that ever fail to impress if they're super filthy and/or shaggy are the octoroons. Now that they've greyed out to white, their skill at grinding crap (sometimes literal crap) into their coats has evolved to a whole 'nutha level. If they were showing, I'd have to find some sort of Ronco white/grey hair bald spot spray and cover them head to toe!! LOL

Wonderful news event4life
    To answer the boarding question..
    Board: 250 month includes feeding 2xs day hay , stall cleaning, BO F/farrier who chec and trims as/if needed. Will add supplements if necessary unless i want to add something special then it is on me.
    Vet: I do as needed for teeth and Coggins. I do shots except the one required by law by vet.
    Blanketing and misc: she does it and has them. Haven't had to purchase them BO supplies them to all the boarders.
    Show blankets and stuff: all on me.
    Transport to shows: local free more than,20 miles 50$ .
    Friend of bar .ka

Congrats Event4Life!!
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Default I think I'm getting "old & cranky" . . . a vent

All lessons were cancelled last night - which is OK, because it was really cold and I can understand why my trainer didn't want to stand around for hours. However, I've been itching to get back into my new saddle - so, I rode.

Dodger was VERY forward, but for the most part managable - bless his heart, he tries so hard to be a good boy. At one point we had two horses lunging - both let loose a couple of times, luckily at separate times and we handled that OK.

Finally, one horse being lunged was done and left indoor. Second horse (Louie) finished up and rider mounted. In the meantime another rider entered the indoor - a new shareboarder, a very capable teenaged rider, on one of the school horses. So that made three of us - a very doable number - usually. All three horses are thoroughbreds, all pretty forward. Situation was great - until - teenager started hand galloping. It wouldn't have been so bad if it had just been a circuit or two, but she just kept going and going. Needless to say, Dodger and Louie got pretty worked up. We eventually ended up just chilling out in the middle of the indoor until she was done. I hope this is not going to become the norm. Maybe I'm over reacting or maybe I'm just getting old and cranky, but I thought it was bit inconsiderate. Sorry, just had to get that out.

Oh my goodness, Paradox! Your boy is GORGEOUS!!! And there’s no need at all to feel silly about that – I feel like sometimes my horses and I bond more during grooming sessions than any other time.

You know, even though I’ve never owned one, I’ve had a thing for Appaloosas for years. Seeing your boy’s photos brought back memories of my friend Ashley’s horse. His name was Buddy, and he looked *very* similar to your boy except his base color was chestnut, not bay. But he roaned in a similar way and had those awesome big spots on his butt. Anyway, Buddy made me fall in love with the breed. When he was young, Ashley had barrel raced and done other gaming things with him. By the time I started re-riding, though, he was old and mostly blind. But Ashley would stick me on him for trail rides and he took great care of my beginner-butt. Blind or not, he was a spectacular horse and so kind. A little stubborn or opinionated at times, but always safe. I would *love* to have an Appy just like Buddy someday.

If you don’t mind me asking – what is your boy’s breeding? Because the next time I’m in the market for a new horse, I’d like to try to find an Appy sporthorse.