The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 135 of 334 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137145185235 ... LastLast
Results 2,681 to 2,700 of 6674

Default Saddle update

Seller accepted my offer

It is kind of a funky color - Ideal calls it "Ranch". (BTW, I was able to confirm that it is an Impala 1450 with "flat pads". Made in 2007.) Any ideas on how to darken it? For reference, here's the link to the pics again:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...Dodger/Saddle/
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Thanks, Tiger Horse. We have exchanged several emails, and she understands why I did it that way. She even admitted that I did a good job making the email personal. I promised that I would call her as soon as I get out of work. Right now she's depressed and lonely...her boyfriend is off campus right now, and she says "no one understands."

P.S. Congrats on the new saddle. I would start with Neatsfoot or olive oil to darken. I used Hydrophane to darken a bridle once, but I'm not going to swear by it. I have seen some on the forum recommend Blue Ribbon oil, but I never tried it. You might try searching the forum for threads.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

OK, I did the most NON-technical thing I could to get these quickly- recorded a video of the video, using my phone! So no sound, and a little shaky.

High Fiving (he did it on command): http://s63.beta.photobucket.com/user...0D69E.mp4.html

And I can't get this to rotate! but hopefully you can get the gist. I was filming, so it's not me in this: http://s63.beta.photobucket.com/user...5781B.mp4.html

Quote Originally Posted by PaintedHunter View Post
    OK, I did the most NON-technical thing I could to get these quickly- recorded a video of the video, using my phone! So no sound, and a little shaky.

High Fiving (he did it on command): http://s63.beta.photobucket.com/user...0D69E.mp4.html

And I can't get this to rotate! but hopefully you can get the gist. I was filming, so it's not me in this: http://s63.beta.photobucket.com/user...5781B.mp4.html
    The first one worked The second did not.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    Thanks, Tiger Horse. We have exchanged several emails, and she understands why I did it that way. She even admitted that I did a good job making the email personal. I promised that I would call her as soon as I get out of work. Right now she's depressed and lonely...her boyfriend is off campus right now, and she says "no one understands."

P.S. Congrats on the new saddle. I would start with Neatsfoot or olive oil to darken. I used Hydrophane to darken a bridle once, but I'm not going to swear by it. I have seen some on the forum recommend Blue Ribbon oil, but I never tried it. You might try searching the forum for threads.
    My daughter is also away at college (a Sophomore) - it's tough sometimes, you so want to be there for them - motherhood is not for the weak of heart.

Thanks - I'm thrilled to have gotten it. A search is an excellent idea, along with the olive oil (neatsfoot oil kinda scares me . . .)

I had the best results darkening a new bridle with olive oil!

Am I just getting old when I do not want to go to the barn when it is 11 degrees outside without the wind! Looks like no riding for me this week and I have all these days off... boohoo. He is not effected by weather... I am! ;-(
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Hang in there Dewey. Looking at pictures of my kids first pony can still bring me to tears and he's been gone four years three months and twelve days. Some of them are just that special. Sometimes you just need to stand real still and feel the pain.

2 members found this post helpful.

Despite the cold, I had a great lesson on my favorite school pony. However, he's leaving this weekend for a new home. I hope they love him as much as I do. Special ponies stay in the heart forever. I'll miss the little guy, and am glad that I got to ride him for the year my horse was resting and rehabbing. I got lucky and layered correctly for the lesson, and was not the least bit uncomfortable or cold. That's hard to do when you're as wimpy as I am. Driving home, it was such a nice evening I opened the sun roof. Heated seats on, heat on, sun roof open, and a fun drive home. Had pantyhose on under my insulated breeches, two pairs of socks, a thin underlayer plus duo-folds on top, a vest, and ear-warmers under my helmet.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Wow, Hazel, that pony must have been special if you still remember the exact day you lost him.

I went to the barn yesterday and sniffled all the way because Jack would not be there. Got there, and they had moved horses around, and Sky was in Jack's old stall. His blanket was still hanging on the door, and the sign that said, "No Treats." I left both...can't bear to think he's not coming back.

I tried calling DD yesterday, but she didn't answer. She may have been in class or just not ready to talk...I know she's hurting.

P.S. Got a text from DD...she had dinner with friends last night and is feeling somewhat better. Also got a text from BO saying, "Sky is better but Jack is worse. Vet is on the way." She must have sent it Sunday, but I just got it.
    Last edited by Dewey; Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:35 AM.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

PH, I saw the first video--how cute!

Ivy62, I totally understand where you're coming from. I no longer ride if it's below 30º degrees. And mostly not even 35º. Not fun anymore!

PaintedHunter, saw the first video, super cute!!!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Even though we have an indoor - I draw the line when it's below freezing. Not only can't I dress warm enough any more, all the layers are just too hard to ride in!

Dewey, hang in there. We were there last year. We lost our heart horse in a tragic accident and I will never forget going to the barn and his blanket and cribbing strap were hanging there. My daughter was devastated. We will always remember Tyler, we had him not near long enough but long enough to fall in love so deep that it breaks my heart every time I think about him.
    It is still hard even though we have another awesome horse.
    If I didn't have a retired one out in the field I probably would not have gone back. I do enjoy riding again but we miss Tyler...
    Grief is the price we pay for love..... Gretchen Jackson said this after losing Barbaro.....
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Well, I've ridden every day this week and rode two today. I've logged more barn hours the past 3 days than the entire previous few years! :-D :-D. My muscles are definitely making me aware of that fact, LOL.

Dusty, the Appaloosa I wrote about earlier, is an interesting one. He's clearly been a trail horse his whole life and has no concept of leads, inside leg/outside rein connection, turning, etc. He seems intelligent & responsive, and isn't the type to constantly test. He's very mild mannered on the ground so I think with some work he'll be a nice intermediate horse for the lesson program. He has a HUGE trot, which was so surprising given his build, so I don't think he'll ever be a beginner horse.

Apart from that, I'm hacking the trainer's horse (terrifyingly LOL!) who is out of work because she doesn't have time.

There's a privately owned TB whose owner apparently doesn't have time/is scared of him, & the trainer thinks she'd love for someone to do something with him, so we'll see how that works out. I think 3 horses is enough to be going on with. I love it though, more than making up for the lack of horsiness in the past 4 years! :-D :-D

Dewey - I'm sorry you're having such a rough time, and I'm sure your daughter will be ok once she has time to process. Hopefully she has some horsey friends she can talk to at Uni.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Yes Dewey he was very special. Just like Jack was to you and your daughter. I will never forget the night he died. There are some that just stay with you. I have finally learned to accept that he's gone but he stays with me and my kids always. He's there when they ride, he's there at every show, he catches them with his wings when they fall and he smiles when they win, because he taught them to believe and not to be afraid. I hope you and your daughter find peace and happiness in the fact that you had Jack on earth for as long as you did, and comfort in knowing that he will never leave you, he will just take a different form.

Thank you, Hazel, for your beautiful post. I do feel fortunate that we had Jack in our lives for ten years. I was at church last night for our regular Wednesday night activities, and I almost asked the pastor if he believed that horses could have souls. (The trouble was, I was afraid I would start blubbering, so I didn't.) It's probably not part of the church doctrine, but I don't see how anyone could deny that Jack had a beautiful soul.

Thanks to everyone else, too, for your concern and sympathy. Having friends who understand is so helpful.

Tiger Horse – congrats on the new saddle! I have never intentionally tried to darken a saddle, so have no words of wisdom for you there. All I know is that I use Neatsfoot Oil to condition my tack a few times a year, and it works wonders keeping the leather nice and strong.

Dewey – my heart continues to go out to you and your DD. I have yet to go through the loss of one of these beautiful beasties. I don’t even want to think about the day…

PaintedHunter – omg, how ADORABLE is that high-fiving video!!! Now I’m going to *have* to teach my coming 3 year old to do that (I think she’s the only one of my 3 that could pick it up easily ‘cause she’s as much of a ham as it sounds like Ollie is). Thank you SO MUCH for sharing that!

I’m with you guys who say the cold weather is a killer. I tell you, where the horses are now, there is no riding arena inside or outside. So, I have no protection from wind/rain/snow, and the footing gets really sketchy if there is any precipitation (and gets really hard when below freezing). So, I haven’t been on the back of a horse in a while. It sucks. I still go out and love on them and groom them, but we stay in the comfort of the barn for the most part.

Event4Life – I am SO happy for how much horse time you’re getting! That’s wonderful!!! I hope maybe I can get up to riding that much soon!

As for me, I found a great barn that’s only 20ish minutes from my house instead of 2 hours. The kids are coming to live there toward the end of February – I’m so psyched!!! And this place has both an outdoor and indoor arena (indoor is *very* small, but at least you can flat in it), so I’m finally going to be able to do stuff with them again!!! They’re going to give my herd a lot more turn-out than what they’re getting now, too, which is great for Little Miss Colic Queen (Velvet). I can’t even tell you how excited I am to get them close to me!!! I can hardly wait!

This past Sunday I went with my friend to pick up a new horse for her. It’s a coming 3 year old TB girl. Beautiful. Dark gray, but has a white face. And she’s sweet as pie. My friend picked a good one. This filly is at the same barn I’m moving my kids to. And she has asked me to help put the initial training on her (reinforce groundwork, do lunging, install steering and gears from long-lining/lunging)! I’m so excited!!! So, even in the interim until my herd comes, I’ll have a horse to play with. Yay!!!!

ClassyRide - Wonderful news about your "kids" and the filly - how very exciting. I have been so lucky in that my barn is only 10 minutes from home - I am really spoiled.

I did try the olive oil - I had a bottle of some fancy imported stuff (it was a gift) - but it didn't seem to do much. Some folks had mentioned Walsh oil, I may try that next.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

ClassyRide - YAY for new barns within reasonable driving distance! 2 hrs is CRAZY. I did 40mins when I was in PA and that was challenging enough, especially being a full time college student. I don't envy you guys stuck up north...I'm never living in the north again. It's 40's/50's here and thats quite "cold" enough, thanks...I'll get my snow fix when I go skiing! Anyway, here's hoping the new barn comes with warmer weather and you get more horsey time too.

TigerHorse - I used the Stubben Hammanol on my used and slightly dried out saddle with great success. It may be good for darkening too - http://www.tacktrunkoh.com/product_p/p1292.htm . I love the stuff & use it on all my tack.

All of you up north - Hang in there, hope the snow melts soon! When I lived up north I refused to ride below 30, even with an indoor. My mare and I were a pair of southern divas lol, and who can move wearing as many layers as you need to stay warm in those temps?

Everyone (who boards) - If you wouldn't mind weighing in, how much a month do you spend on your horse? This is including EVERYTHING - board, lessons, insurance, extra cash aside for vet instances, shots, dental stuff, farrier, etc. I'm planning on saving up and while I do obviously have a vague idea some real life experience would be helpful! I'd say horse cost here is probably "average" - not way overpriced but not exceedingly cheap either. I know that caring is often way more than purchase price, so want to know realistically how much extra I'd need/month after buying.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey