The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 133 of 341 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143183233 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,660 of 6812

I hope all is well with Sky, Dewey.

And a great big welcome to new group members.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Dewey any news?

Hi, everyone. Thanks for all your concern. I went out to meet the vet. He palpated Sky and scoped her. She is pooping fine. All her vital signs are normal, and he is 99% sure it is not colic. However, she is not well. He suspects an ulcer. He gave her Ulcer-Guard and wants her on it for the next two weeks. After I talked to him, she started coming out of her druggie state (she had been given something for the scope) and seemed interested in food, so he told me to graze her and then give her some alfalfa. She ate a flake, and we left her alone for a few hours. When I went back to check on her before leaving the barn, she was down in her stall, not thrashing or anything, but she had no interest in the hay I offered, and kept looking at her belly. I could tell she did not feel well. I reported to BO who gave her some painkiller. I left her on her feet and kind of doped up. I am still anxious. The ulcer is not good news, but at this point, I would be reassured to know that's what it is. She has always been sensitive and high-strung, which argues in favor of it.

The BO is going to call me tomorrow morning to let me know how she is. Will keep you all posted. Thanks again, everyone, for your caring.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Sending more good wishes your way Dewey. Glad it's not colic. At least there's treatment for ulcers and you can manage them. Make sure you post in the morning after you hear from the BO.

Dewey - also glad to hear it is not colic. Please keep us posted.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Dewey, hope all is well with Sky.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Default Today's lesson

Had a blast today! Not as technically good as last lesson, but then with the colder temp, I was riding a very forward horse. Nothing that can' t be fixed, I just need to get a better handle on pace and how to rate him. He gets himself so cranked up, I love that he is having so much fun.

That being said, I lessoned in the saddle I picked up on trial yesterday - I think it's a great fit for both of us - sent some pics to the fitter. LOVE this saddle, so comfy, so easy to stay in my two point, even at the trot, which was almost impossible in the saddle I had been using. My trainer said she could see an immediate improvement in my position. I think it's a keeper, but won't make an offer until I hear back from the fitter. Stay warm!

Dewey how is Sky today? Did you go to the barn or hear from the BO?

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Aw, Dewey, I hope Sky is doing ok!

Tiger Horse well done...keep up the high spirits and believe me finding a saddle that works for both you and your horse is more than half the battle won :-D.

I'm going riding at my new barn tomorrow! I'm super excited, I rode with them back when I was visiting in October and had a blast. Tomorrow I'm helping out with a trail ride. She's taking a group of middle schoolers out and wants me to ride a horse whose been giving the kids a hard time.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Dewey?? Any update??

Event4Life - sounds FUN! It finally stopped raining here only to start snowing with thunder and lightning. Lovely. Envying your ride!!

Tiger Horse - what did you end up trying? I finally saddled the new mare today for about 10 minutes on the lunge and it fits but I've been toying w/the idea of a new saddle.

Hoping to get on the new mare tomorrow since the weather has finally broken...hoping to stay on the new mare tomorrow!! no vest as of of yet....

So sorry I've caused anxiety, everyone. I have had a lot of trouble getting through tonight.

It's been an emotional day. I'll start by saying Sky is fine. I went down today and groomed her and hand-grazed her for about an hour. She seemed perfectly normal. She was hungry and perfectly herself. Afterward, I put her in her stall, and she was eager for her carefully-monitored dinner. So far, so good.

The bad news is that today, one of my favorite horses, Jack, was put down. I have talked about Jack earlier in the thread when it looked as though he was going to leave to be donated to another college IHSA team. However, he was bought by a young crossbar rider looking for a safe mount, and he ended up staying, much to my delight. Jack was my DD's heart horse. We leased him for several years, and she adored him. He was not an easy horse to ride, but he was Mr. Personality, and he was so smart. DD taught him tricks. He was the kind of horse you'd swear understood half of what you said, and he would put his head over the stall door to interact with you when you walked by. He was such a funny guy. The young girl who bought him had a great year with him, but about 5-6 weeks ago, he came down with an unexplained virus, which turned into laminitis. He has never been the same. He has been on stall rest and has made a slow decline. Yesterday he made a sudden turn for the worse. In fact, when I went down yesterday about Sky, I checked on Jack too, and I kind of "knew" that this was the end. He was curled up in his stall, and though he perked up when I went in and eagerly accepted hay from my hand, I could tell he was in a lot of pain.

Today when I went down, I saw the backhoe in the pasture, and I knew. I heard one his front coffin bones had rotated severely and had come through the sole. Poor Jack. I'll admit I cried like a baby. I can't even think about how I'm going to break it to DD. RIP, Jack. I'll miss your funny face and your funny little tricks.

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/z...cember2011.jpg
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Awww Dewey, what a rough time you've had . Jack had the sweetest, kindest face ever.

The best way to tell your DD is to give it to her straight. If she doesn't live at home anymore and you must do it over the phone, make sure she has someone with her. My parents had to break the news about 2 of my pets being PTS while I was abroad. It was really rough, but having friends nearby helps. Unfortunately the 2nd time I was alone, and that was even harder, but I would rather they told me before I got home over the phone than in person on my way home from the airport. It would have been far worse to deal with that way, or, in your situation, for her to find out over facebook or whatever. She'd rather here it from you, trust me.

Hang in there!

Finzean - I know, I don't get this weather at all. It seems its been terrible in the rest of the state but we've only had one afternoon of rain and thats it. This week is looking good (sunny and 50's-60's) until Friday. I don't know if I'll ever get used to weather like this in January!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Dewey, so sorry to hear about Jack. ((hugs)). RIP Jack. What a roller coaster you have been on, glad Sky seemed herself.

Default link to saddle pics added

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post

Event4Life - sounds FUN! It finally stopped raining here only to start snowing with thunder and lightning. Lovely. Envying your ride!!

Tiger Horse - what did you end up trying? I finally saddled the new mare today for about 10 minutes on the lunge and it fits but I've been toying w/the idea of a new saddle.

Hoping to get on the new mare tomorrow since the weather has finally broken...hoping to stay on the new mare tomorrow!! no vest as of of yet....
    Event4Life - Totally agree w/Finzean sounds like a lot of fun.

Finzean - the saddle is made by Crown Saddlery/Ideal Saddles in Walsall England. I think it is actually an event saddle - at least that is what it looks closest to from what I've seen online. Although it is being sold as used, it doesn't show any signs of wear. It is kind of an odd color, but maybe it will darken. I will try to post some pics.

Heres a link to the pics:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...Dodger/Saddle/
    Last edited by Tiger Horse; Jan. 21, 2013 at 09:41 AM. Reason: added link

Oh, Dewey, I'm so sorry about Jack. Such a sweet face. Glad Sky is doing well. You'll get through this. Peace and hugs to you and DD.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Dewey sorry to hear about Jack. Happy for sky .

Event4life 50/60's oh that sounds wonderful.. If we could get above
    freezing this week I would be thrilled.
    Friend of bar .ka

Welcome, welcome to Tommy’s Girl, RottiMom, and Geno! We’re so happy to have you join us here! And don’t get discouraged – re-riding is a bit of a challenge as we try to get our body parts to work independently and in harmony. But we’re all in various stages of conquering it, so you’ll get some great advice here! Tommy’s Girl, Wit is GORGEOUS!!! I love a hunky chestnut with white on his face – always makes me drool.

Dewey, I’m so, so sorry to hear about Jack. He was so handsome. Sounds like he was a very sweet character who filled a lot of people with joy. At least he is no longer suffering. {{HUGS}} I’m so glad Sky is feeling better! My Velvet has frequent colic-like episodes in Spring and Fall, and occasional ones in Summer and Winter, so I know exactly what you’ve been going through with Sky. We know part of Velvet’s issue is gas colic, but we suspect she may have some ulcers, too. So I’m interested to know if Sky remains good on Ulcer-Guard. I hope this is the magic fix for her. I’ll be thinking you two and sending jingles.

Tiger Horse, I’m so glad you had a great lesson! Forward horses can be very fun, but as you said, it’s good to get a handle on them and be able to rate.

For those of you using different saddles or shopping, different saddles can make a world of difference! I have 2 saddles. The one I use for Gabriel is a Henri de Rivel Show Jumping saddle. That was my first saddle and I had no frame of reference, but no wonder it took me so long to get my legs under me – for some reason, I find it puts me in a chair seat and I have to fight to keep my legs back. Now, the saddle I use on Velvet is a Collegiate Convertible Diploma saddle. And man does it fit me like a glove! My legs automatically go where they should in that saddle and I feel so much more secure in it than I ever did in the HDR.

And Finzean, good luck on the new mare! I hope it’s an amazing first ride!

Dewey, sorry to hear about Jack. Sounds like he was a special horse! At least he had good final years with those the loved and cared about him. It's always sad to lose one like that.

Glad Sky is feeling better. Did the vet scope her? Remember that certain pain meds will make her tummy upset if she does have ulcers. Good luck with her treatment. There are some very good threads on this forum about ulcers!

Event4Life, have fun riding at the new barn! Sounds great.

Tiger Horse, glad you found a nice saddle. It really can make all the difference in the world.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Thanks to everyone for your support. I'll admit that I have been weepy on and off today and am having trouble concentrating on anything productive. I really loved that horse, and he wasn't even mine.Those of you who commented on Jack's sweet face are so right. With Jack's kind expression and flashy blaze, DD and I always thought that he would have made a great halter model in a horse catalog.

I am very thankful that Sky is doing better and have been reading up on ulcers. I wonder whether moving her into a stall last fall may have contributed to it. She was outside all the time before that and afterward was only out at night. I have ordered one of those slow-nibble hay nets to slow down her eating as she is a very easy keeper, and having free-choice hay as the vet recommends may lead to her becoming very chubby.

Event4Life, thanks for your advice about DD. DH told me not to mention it as she is beginning a new semester in college, and he doesn't want her distracted. However, I have been thinking over what you advised, and I think you are right--if she doesn't find out till she comes home for the summer, she'll feel resentful and upset--she will expect to be able to see him and then find out that he's been dead for months! And she could find out by accident through FB, which would be dreadful as you point out. At the same time, I dread making the call: I know I'll fall apart on the phone and won't be much comfort to her. I may wimp out and write an email...I'll tell her I'll be glad to talk about it if she wants to.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Horse View Post
    Had a blast today! Not as technically good as last lesson, but then with the colder temp, I was riding a very forward horse. Nothing that can' t be fixed, I just need to get a better handle on pace and how to rate him. He gets himself so cranked up, I love that he is having so much fun.
    I am having the same experience with cold weather/forward horses/rating them! The horse is a lot of fun, but we were diving out of the canter the last few lessons. I was finally able to get decent transitions last week. Such a relief to figure it out, I was on the borderline of developing a complex about it! I've really got to work more on my core, I think. When I get uncomfortable I tend to do an impression of a turtle and its really not attractive, or effective!

Dewey, so sorry to read about Jack. I've got an old friend at my barn who taught me how to really enjoy riding, and I would miss him terribly if he was gone. I feel for you and your daughter!