The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 132 of 323 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142182232 ... LastLast
Results 2,621 to 2,640 of 6450

I'll be heading to several tack stores this weekend - plan on testing quite a few!
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Tiger Horse, you should probably have a saddle fitter come out to look at your horse...or work with someone with saddle-fitting experience. As a long-time Stubben rider, I'm in favor of the Stubben Roxane S, but you have to be sure it will fit the horse. (I actually ride in a Stubben Siegfried, which I bought used in 1979!--That gives you an idea of the quality.) My dream saddle is the Stubben Roxane VSS, which has a shorter, straighter flap than the Roxane S. Love the deep seat, though. I know the trend now is for a close-contact saddle with a shallow, soft seat, but I love a saddle with blocks and a deep seat that is going to hold me in. Maybe I will start saving up for my dream saddle...I am certainly not getting any younger.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    Tiger Horse, you should probably have a saddle fitter come out to look at your horse...or work with someone with saddle-fitting experience. As a long-time Stubben rider, I'm in favor of the Stubben Roxane S, but you have to be sure it will fit the horse. (I actually ride in a Stubben Siegfried, which I bought used in 1979!--That gives you an idea of the quality.) My dream saddle is the Stubben Roxane VSS, which has a shorter, straighter flap than the Roxane S. Love the deep seat, though. I know the trend now is for a close-contact saddle with a shallow, soft seat, but I love a saddle with blocks and a deep seat that is going to hold me in. Maybe I will start saving up for my dream saddle...I am certainly not getting any younger.
    Dewey - I would love to have a saddle fitter out, in fact one of the tack shops I plan on visiting this weekend has a pretty good one, and I will ask about an appt while I am there. I have had a few Stubbens over the years and they are lovely, my favorite was a Siegfried - too bad I sold it years ago! Even though I am not tall (5' 5") I do seem to need a more forward flap. And yes, I want blocks and a deep seat - funny how the older you get, the stronger the sense of self preservation!
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Double post
    Last edited by Tiger Horse; Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:38 AM.

I'm new to this forum - Hi all! I'm so happy this is here!

My re-rider adventure is beginning...

Backstory: I bought a new horse in August, a 7yr. old OTTB gelding with some retraining. He promptly got sick so i couldn't ride him much but we bonded in the pasture at home, and after a few trail rides at home, I've put him in training at a local barn. He's doing very well, is polite, getting more beans as he adds pounds, but is such a gentleman...

I had my first group lesson on him today (my second time riding him in an arena), and all I can say is... wow. Those years off and kids in the meantime have thrown my game when it comes to riding. On the trail it's easier to gloss over my weaknesses, but they came fully into focus today. Wits (Witness) was great, but I was ALL over the place.

So that's my vent. Confirmation of what I hoped wasn't true - that I have to start all over again. Luckily, I *love* this horse and he appears to love me, so we'll get through it together - it's just hard to help a horse learn balance when you can't keep it yourself. Or feel when he's picked up the wrong lead. Or feel when he's picked up a lead for each end. *sigh* He's such a great horse I don't want to screw him up. His trainer is super psyched about him, and her mother held the lesson today - I think she was surprised at how awkward I was in the saddle! Argh! Classic mid-life re-rider drama.

Welcome, Tommy's Girl! Sounds like to have a really nice horse. And we all feel out of sorts when starting back. I think you made the right decision in putting him in training AND taking lessons. You'll get there. . Any pics of Wits?
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

1 members found this post helpful.

Hello, I am new to this message board. I rode a little as a kid, and have been riding almost 1 year now as an adult. I just bought my second horse today and a very excited for the learning process!! I am going to be showing hunter this summer. Any advice?

Hello Everyone!!

Another re-rider here, been back in the saddle for about 6 months now. I grew up riding western and now my dream is to event, so I have to learn how to jump and ride dressage after about 13 or so years off (I can't even remember how old I was when I stopped riding originally).

I have been taking 3 lessons a week, 2 at a h/j barn as I felt that would be the best place for me to learn how to jump and 1 at an eventing barn trying to learn dressage. I feel like I've been making so much progress at the jumping lessons, I definitely look forward to the days that I can go to the barn. I've moved up through the lesson horses and now I'm on a difficult mare that lets you know right away if you do one little thing wrong. She is definitely helping me improve my riding. Also, she can jump the moon, although I haven't actually tested her on that one I've seen others do it.

Dressage is a different story, I know how much it can help me in the long run, but I feel that I am just learning it so I can go to an event, maybe this summer maybe next summer, who knows. It's very frusturating to go to my dressage lessons and feel like I haven't made any progress.

Today, I decided to take a jumping lesson at the eventing barn. I wanted to see what the different teaching styles were like. I do not think it went well at all, which is very discouraging because I feel that I do so well at the h/j barn. I don't know if I really haven't learned anything during my lessons at the other facility, or today was just a bad day. Actually just yesterday I had my lesson at the h/j barn and it was fantastic. Today, I felt like I couldn't keep my legs still, I was flopping forward anticipating when the horse would jump and just not very secure in the saddle. I worry that I'm not advancing as fast as I would like. Do other people see the same frusturations of inconsistent riding?

There was also a discussion today if I should try and half lease, which I'm thinking is going to be a good idea. I really like the instruction at the h/j barn so I will continue my lessons there, but then half lease an eventer to hopefully work on my dressage and take the ocassional jump lesson at the eventing barn.

Anyway, thanks for reading through my sob story about my riding. Hoping to keep everyone updated with progress!

Hi Paradox,

Thanks for the welcome (I see two other newbies have joined this evening!)

Pics of my gorgeous guy, but not under saddle:
    http://s1263.beta.photobucket.com/us...ction/library/

He's handsome! LOL I can and can't wait to get video of my riding him. I'm hoping that will be Monday, then I'll go home and sob over it... LOL

Rotti Mom, Geno,

Pics please! I showed mine... I'm a newbie but glad for others in this boat. Reriders unite!

Rottimom, welcome. My best advice is to have fun! That's why we do this. Are you taking lessons?

Geno, welcome. Let me ask you, did you ride the same horse at the h/j lesson and the event jumping lesson? Same tack? And I will say that dressage is probably the hardest discipline. Keep up with it because dressage can win your event. .

Tommy's Girl, your horse is lovely! I love the conformation shot. Very, very pretty!
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    Geno, welcome. Let me ask you, did you ride the same horse at the h/j lesson and the event jumping lesson? Same tack? And I will say that dressage probably the hardest discipline. Keep up with it because dressage can win your event. .
    No, the horse in my jumping lesson today I've only ridden once in a dressage lesson. Also, i dont think the saddle fit quite right. The h/j lessons are at a different barn, the mare that I ride is a big warmblood with a ground eating stride that loves to jump. The horse today is a little paint gelding that I'm probably a foot taller with a short quick stride. I got him going at the end, just wondering if it would have been better if he would have been so forward from the beginning.

Greetings "newbies"! This is an awesome group - glad I stumbled upon it. So good to know I'm not the only one who struggles with no longer bouncing off the ground, worrying over not being able to get (fill in body part) to do (fill in task).

I am anxious about Sky. During the past week, the BO told me she has been on and off her feed and going down in her stall more than usual. Not overtly colicky but NQR. She seemed normal on Friday went I went to see her, and we thought she was over whatever it was, but I just got a call from the BO, and she is acting sick again. She gave her banamine and called me. We decided to call the vet, who is on the way. Will let you all know what he says.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    I am anxious about Sky. During the past week, the BO told me she has been on and off her feed and going down in her stall more than usual. Not overtly colicky but NQR. She seemed normal on Friday went I went to see her, and we thought she was over whatever it was, but I just got a call from the BO, and she is acting sick again. She gave her banamine and called me. We decided to call the vet, who is on the way. Will let you all know what he says.
    Good luck, Dewey.

We've been having some unseasonably warm days followed by VERY cold nights here and the horses have been acting strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Alterageous View Post
    Good luck, Dewey.

We've been having some unseasonably warm days followed by VERY cold nights here and the horses have been acting strange.
    Ditto and same here. Tomorrow's high 19!

Thursday jump lesson was a no go - my trainer forgot. It's all good tho because now I have one tomorrow, better when I haven't worked all day. Also, have a saddle on trial to try - lovely Crown cc - nice deep seat, decent knee block. Also gusseted, so should be a good fit for my guy. Saddle fitter was really helpful and although this saddle is a bit out of my price range, I can make an offer. Excited to see how it rides.

PS also got a new helmet - ended up with a nice Troxel.
    Last edited by Tiger Horse; Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Added ps

Good luck, Dewey. Fingers are crossed. Keep us posted.

Tiger Horse, good luck with your lesson.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

GL, Dewey.

I couldn't get to the barn today as I had kiddie duty. Next week is supposed to be wicked cold, so I don't think I'll be riding until the week after! Darn it.

Oh Dewey. I hope everything is okay with Sky. My horse did this last week too. Please let us know what the vet says.

Welcome to all the New Re-Riders!

Dewey - I hope everything is ok with Sky. Please let us know after the vet comes out.
    And nothing bad happened!