The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 129 of 397 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130131139179229 ... LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,580 of 7932

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    I can understand your vent quietann. I know it can get frustrating. I do think, however, your trainers are being too impatient with you and your horse. I think they should be willing and happy to work on whatever you and your horse needs. Obviously you want the coaching during the rough spots and I think that is when the trainer should be willing to work with you. Is it possible to find a trainer that wouldn't mind working more on the warmup issues? Good luck! You'll get there.
    Well the problem is as much that *I* am impatient with me, and with the horse, who has not always been like this. I've had her for 5 years; she was way hotter when I first had her, then she was injured and had a long rehab, during which she learned about "conservation of energy", as in, it's easier to be pokey and lazy than jumping out of her skin. The strange thing is, I *can* ride her through a jumping out of her skin episode, e.g. recently in a lesson when a naughty pony got loose and made a beeline for us, and she was airborne! I yelled at him and he ran away, but then he did it again, the little sod. She should have kicked the snot out of him but she was too busy jumping around.

The trainers and I are trying to find a warm-up that works that I can do on my own, without getting super-frustrated.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    Well the problem is as much that *I* am impatient with me, and with the horse, who has not always been like this. I've had her for 5 years; she was way hotter when I first had her, then she was injured and had a long rehab, during which she learned about "conservation of energy", as in, it's easier to be pokey and lazy than jumping out of her skin. The strange thing is, I *can* ride her through a jumping out of her skin episode, e.g. recently in a lesson when a naughty pony got loose and made a beeline for us, and she was airborne! I yelled at him and he ran away, but then he did it again, the little sod. She should have kicked the snot out of him but she was too busy jumping around.

The trainers and I are trying to find a warm-up that works that I can do on my own, without getting super-frustrated.
    Kick on, quietann! We have a boarder whose mare (that we think is like QH x Morgan) is also VERY clever and has a horrible case of l.a.z.y. It was confirmed through various diagnostics! Mare's owner gets really frustrated with her b/c when it comes to ring work, Mare just tortures her and wears her out. I get on Mare for 10-15 minutes and kick her around and that's usually all it takes. I'm sending you some "Kick On, Sister!" vibes!! You can do it!!

Y'all are very sweet, thanks. I do get frustrated... I mean, I trust this mare as much as I can trust any horse -- she is safe, and smart, but very stubborn.

(And oddly enough, riding her bareback seems to help. She's very comfy that way. My seat's better that way, though I have not really mastered canter to trot transitions. Also I am asking her to carry herself but in a slower way, which she likes... She has a lovely little western-style jog in there.)

ETA: I avoid longeing her because I don't want her joints overly stressed. Keeping her sound is an ongoing challenge and I want the odds in my favor...

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by MILOUTE55 View Post
    If anybody is in the Tampa area, send me a PM, I literally don't know a soul around here so it would be good to make new friends!
    Amandine
    Amandine,

Unfortunately, I'm in the N. part of the state around Tallahassee ... And technically, I'm in South Georgia, but ride just N. of T'hassee, which is a haul to Tampa.

But you should have no problems finding people to hang out with in Tampa.
    The dude abides ...

Another week since I have ridden, and the last time I rode was short. It's pretty much all me - my horse and I have a wonderful relationship on the ground. In fact, when I went to get him from the very back of the pasture today, he trotted up to me to get haltered!

In the saddle is different. I have this brain that tends to head off in fifty different directions, all with one destination - the Land of What If. So, I tense up with worry and our rides are not great and I am not really progressing with him - there was that bulging thing we fixed.

He really is a good boy - he tries so hard but I sometimes send confusing signals.

Well, today, my trainer came up with something new, for us. A lunge line and side reins. The lunge first to get some of the antics, if there be any, out and to warm him up. Then she put the side reins on, quite loose and sent him out at the walk. Oh, he was not happy and was so worried about them there was a bit of a moment. But he settled down and worked nicely. Then, she handed the lunge to me with instructions - no more than 10 minutes, combination of walking and trotting and a few halts thrown it. He was so good! He even almost maintained his composure when the rest of the geldings (pasture is very close to the ring) played we all run now like maniacs. This was due to the boss mare busting through the fence and, along with a few of her cronies, joining the boys. Just way too much excitement.

So, after we finished our lunge line work, I got on, just for a little. He felt so much more relaxed! Still willing and eager to go, but not tense.

Will do the same routine tomorrow and then get in more of a ride on my horse!
    And nothing bad happened!

My new mare arrived today. I had only seen photos of her but knew she sticked at 16.3 or 17. Ummmm - this girl is a monster. She's just giant and sadly she has learned just how big she is somewhere along the way. Not malicious, just rude leading her when she wants to go. Chain over nose does not a thing. Oh, well...something to work on. I'm excited to ride her this week once she settles in.

Otherwise the report from the farm is that according to Thing 1 & Thing 2 living in the front pasture, the rain created some AWESOME mud holes suitable for standing on one's head & grinding one's greyed out formerly white haired self into the grunge. Pig Pen has done his duty to remove the gumballs along the southwest fence line...he's carrying them around in his mane. Lovely.

Congrats on the new Amazon, Finzean. Good luck with your ride!

As to mud balls - yes, mine was quite the looker today, too. I had to use the Evil Curry (the harder one) just to knock the dried mud off before I could even think about grooming. Poor diva thin-skinned TB thought he was being killed. It would just be too easy to knock the mud off on the fence, a tree, another horse, anything - no, we must acquire as much mud as possible and let it try to almost concrete consistency. It's in the Pony Contract.
    And nothing bad happened!

1 members found this post helpful.

at stories of muddy ponies, though I shouldn't... My girl hates mud and rarely gets into it if she has a choice.

Finzean, I am sure you know this already, but the butt end of a dressage whip in the shoulder can reduce leaning. It's bad enough with a 850-900 pound, small horse; I can't imagine having to deal with it from a huge one!

Today's lesson went better! Phil praised me for handling the warm-up on my own, riding through some antics from the mare, and he says she seems to be getting the idea that go = GO, no questions asked. She was good in the lesson... until she started acting weird. She was a bit gassy (which happens in the indoor, we think it is stress.) and he eventually was worried enough that he thought I should take her back to her stall to see if she'd poop. She didn't!!!! but she peed gallons. I had to go get the rest of our stuff from the indoor so I took her with me, and realized about halfway there that she did NOT have gas colic, but she WAS in heat. In January! Silly mare. She has very silent cycles but the first and last heats of the year are a bit more noticeable. Left her at the barn happily munching on hay and 100% her normal self. (And yes, she's pooped before I left. Twice.) I am happy that's she's OK but sad that what looked to be such a good lesson got cut short.

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post

Finzean, I am sure you know this already, but the butt end of a dressage whip in the shoulder can reduce leaning. It's bad enough with a 850-900 pound, small horse; I can't imagine having to deal with it from a huge one!
    Yeah, I had my elbow jabbed into her shoulder...I think she thought it was petting her. hahahaha

fwiw - the Amazon (love that jaslyn1701) arrived at 11:45am; by 4pm she was showing and 2 of the other mares had come in. ugh. The Amazon was being so flagrant in her "display" that non-horsey hubby commented that he felt "dirty seeing her act like that" LMAO

Congrats on the new one Finzean! I do not envy you She sounds cool, but a handful!

Sooo...Today was the day! My boy's name he comes with is Bugatti. He's a 16.2 h coming 5 yr old Dutch WB x TB. He just got gelded last week! I'm thinking of some barn names for him, and of course he'll need a show name.

He trailered like an angel, and the shipper couldn't believe he was a stallion just 5 days ago. He walked around the property, whinnied to every chestnut horse he saw (must miss his buddy), and was generally awesome. He settled in quite well! He is HUGE (which I love). The halter I got and the bridle I had for him don't fit. Uh-oh. They are horse-sized... I guess I'll need a warmblood or full-sized! I am restraining myself from riding him just yet because I want him to fully heal from the gelding, but I am DYING to show him off. The other barns can't quite believe it, I think. Shows you don't have to spend $15,000 on a horse to get quality!

Here are some pictures, as promised. My trainer took more but this is what I have so far on my camera.

Looking out on the paddock
    Such a cute face
    Me and the big guy
    He's a big horse. I'm 5'7"
    Meeting the other resident gray gelding

So yay! I'm going to pamper him tomorrow and take more pictures. Loff!

Oh, and as if today can't get any better, I went to Battle of the Sexes at WEF with my best barn buddies and had a BLAST! We ate, we drank, we ogled, we cheered! It was fantastic. Can't wait for more fun times like that...doesn't get much better than this!

Pancakes, I love your new critter! May the gods and goddesses of grey keep your boy dark as long as possible...oh how I wish I could post some photos of Thing 1 & Thing 2 in all their filthy wonder! lol

At night check the Amazon had settled in quite nicely. A big apple eating teddy bear. I feel like a little kid with my first pony over having something new. Crossing my fingers it's a good match.

Pancakes he's just lovely. You will have to post some pics of you on him! I'm so glad that everything is going so well for you. You've had such a difficult time lately I'm happy it all seems to be turning around for you.

Finzean congrats on the arrival of the amazon. Hoping it all works out well.

Mud... I am not looking forward to that.. last time I saw Toby he was knee deep in it.. and that was before the thaw... uggg.. Of course his hair was winter liength and we will not even go into what his mane looked like.. Who ever said Tb's had thin skin and didn't grow winter coats never met Toby.
    Which means I will be in agony come spring silly me I'm allergic to horse hair and shedding season and I don't get along, this will be the 4th winter I have not clipped in the winter... I will look like DH punched me in the face as my eyes will be swollen shut with goo, and I will not even go into the stuff coming out of my nose and mouth( when I sneeze and clear out mouth).

Pancakes, your guy is lovely. I know about not having to spend a lot to get quality. Can't wait to hear how he is going for you.

Finzean congrats on the arrival of the Amazon.

May I wyine a bit...? A few things occurred this week that kinda hit both DH and I upside our heads... The first was Mon. or Tues. a sheriff knocked on our front door.. (yeah.. jump... for joy color me confused) and handed DH a 30day notice(?????) with landlords name on it an the words et al. It seems that the house we live in was sold at sheriffs auction back in May at a forclosure aucton.. Landlord also lost his house his is living in. Landlord failed to mention this to us... Ok we can find someplace else.. mmmm Check on line, news paper, become creative... There is no place to rent at all...well let me rephrase that . There is no place to rent that A human would want to live in for rent.. In a neighborhood a they would want to live with out many mean looking large dogs. A Border Collie doesn't cut it.
    So we decided it was time for us to buy a house.. Figure we don't need much, and there are plenty of properties that are in good shape, may a little bit of updating (like wood paneling that has to go) for between 40 and 50 k. And our income etc allows a mortage for more than that. So DH and I went to our bank. And of course they ran our credit ( which we have been very careful about) and something odd came up... odd and damaging.. damaging to the point of no can do on mortage.. Missed it buy 50pts on one and more one the other.. Someone managed to get a credit card at a jewelry store for a heck ( I believe 10k though I may be wrong on total) using Dh's SS# and my name.. How I haven't figured out yet but it happened. Not only that But they use an addy in a place we haven't lived at for close 24yrs and a city that we haven't 20yrs... The person used a po box as a mailing address to get card which we have never had anywhere. How did someone do this? And how did we manage to miss it? Other than the use of Dh ss# and the use of my name your guess is as good as mine.
    So cant buy ( thank you asshat ) and well renting is well not desirable do the houses available.... <smirk> unless someone has 50k I could borrow...<smirk remember>.
    Thanks I had to get that off my chest...
    Friend of bar .ka

Pancakes and Finzean, congratulations on the new family members. May they live long happy lives, and may you have many happy rides with them.

Bumknees, that just sucks. I don't know a thing about credit clean up, and finding out who really owes for the purchases they made in your name, but maybe someone on here has some ideas. As for finding a house to rent, what state do you live in, and can you find someone who has rental properties that would buy something suitable and rent it to you until you get your credit fixed and qualify for a mortgage? With bank interest at an all time low, many people moved cash out of banks and into rental real estate. Good luck sorting this out. I was hoping that 2012 was your bad year, and that 2013 would be better for you.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Finzean & Pancakes - congrats! Bumknees, sorry for your trouble - I hope you can get it resolved. Not sure how some people live with themselves.

Had an "unauthorized" dismount today. Silly horse decided there was a monster at the end of the arena - put in one heck of a spook. Stayed with him the first time, should have taken a bit longer to reorganize and tackle that end again, didn't and came off. Not hard. Got right back on and worked at that end without further antics! Kind of glad to get that out of the way - it had been quite a while since I'd hit the dirt. Probably wouldn't have happened in my dressage saddle because of the deeper seat. Cc is pretty flat. Hmmm saddle shopping in my future?
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

I hit the dirt today as well, Tiger Horse. I went down as I always do to help warm up horses for our barn's IEA show today. I jumped a nice large pony around the cross-rail course, and right after the last fence, he stumbled, fell to his knees, and got a snootful of dirt. I flipped over his head and landed on my hip and back. As I was going through the air, I thought, "Thank goodness I have my vest on." The vest totally protected my ribs. I was able to jump up and get back on the pony and jump him over the fence again, but now, my hip is a bit puffy, sore, and swollen.

I lent Sky to the team for the show yesterday, and she did several flat classes. She was fine for the first couple; after that, she began to get irritated with all the different riders, and she bucked and acted up by the fourth class. I have no idea how she did today. Will find out when I go back on Tuesday!
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Dewey, glad you are pretty much ok! Hope that hip heals fast. Was not wearing my vest - need to get back in the habit. Hope Sky did well today.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Bumknees - just read all of your post...SO sorry for this! We once had our bank account and line of credit cleaned out via online fraud on Memorial Day weekend. It SUCKED. I cannot imagine having to deal with identity theft. Prayers for y'all!! Hopefully something will turn up and though I'm guessing it will be PITA, through proper channels you'll be able to get the credit score issues turned around.

Sorry for the unauthorized dismounts, Dewey & Tiger Horse. I'm interested in the vest thing. I don't have any of my old eventing stuff from way back when not that it would fit anyway. I saw some vests hanging in the Dover store when we went to Raleigh but I didn't even consider looking at them since I don't plan to event. HOWEVER - now that the Amazon is in the house, that's a long way to fall should that ever happen...a vest might not be a bad idea at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post
    HOWEVER - now that the Amazon is in the house, that's a long way to fall should that ever happen...a vest might not be a bad idea at all.
    A fellow boarder (60+) bought a 17 hand youngster - her next purchase was a vest!

I had been thinking for awhile that I should have a vest at my age...I was totally galvanized to start looking for one when I read (much earlier in this thread, in fact) about several scary falls people had experienced. I researched the brands and sizes and decided on a Raceway vest. I bought it from a tack shop in the UK as they had more sizes available than in the US. I'm so glad I bought it. I wear it all the time now and even show in it.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne