The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 127 of 397 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129137177227 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,540 of 7922

Pancakes - he is lovely. Thanks for the advice. You too Event4life - you guys must know me - breathe is right.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Pancakes - we posted at the same time! Your new guy is gorgeous, I'm suitably jealous!!! Enjoy :-D
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Pancakes, he's a real stunner!! What a lovely, lovely guy. Can't wait to watch him change colors

Pancakes...he is BEAUTIFUL! Can't wait to hear more and see more pictures when he is home. I'm very happy for you! What is his name?

Tiger Horse, welcome! I bet you are very excited about your lesson. Just remember, this is supposed to be fun, so enjoy it. At the beginning do what you're comfortable with. Eventually you will want to push yourself a little, but not yet! Get the love back first. . Looking forward to hearing about your lesson.

Good news! I have the walking cast on! Got it today. I still have a few weeks before putting weight fully on it, but it is a start. My doctor recommended a boot to ride in and said it will not be long. I cannot wait! It's good to have a doctor whose daughter is a dressage rider. He knows exactly where I'm coming from.

Boy is the weather gorgeous today. I hope you are all riding for me today.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I would like to join the group as well. I started riding at the age of 6, then quit in my junior years and picked it back up in college through the IHSA program. I havent looked back since and I just turned 30. I have a full time demanding career, a full time boyfriend -no human kids but two canine ones, two horses and never enough time. While my showing time has significantly decreased in the past two years, I still am determined to enjoy the sport at my own pace for the moment. I ride late (6:30 and onward), usually in the dark and freezing cold(covered/indoor arena is a must) and on the weekends when I am in town. Somehow, it all works out. There are days when I get frustrated and complain and whine about not having enough time to do everything - especially when work demands infringe on my "free time"....grrr.

I think the point of all our adult ranting is that it never gets easier, but we all somehow manage to do this sport that we love with these amazing creatures - but it is nice to know that there are others out there in similar situations. It just takes some strategic time management, logistical planning and help from support groups/friends that you surround yourself with. Positive thinking always helps too. All I know is for as much as I complain about being an "adult" - anytime that I get to spend riding and with my horses is well worth the hassle. Don't loose your determination!

Welcome, myHealthyObsession. I'm sure it's not easy riding at night and in the cold this time of year! Tell us about your horse (or the horse you ride).
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Pancakes - Congratulations - your new boy is just lovely!

Yay, Paradox on the walking cast.

Welcome myHealthyObession and Tiger Horse!
    And nothing bad happened!

Thank you for the warm welcomes! I am very excited about my lesson - not too worried because my guy really loves it and tries his heart out for you - I just don't want to do anything to ruin his fun!!
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Horse View Post
    Thank you for the warm welcomes! I am very excited about my lesson - not too worried because my guy really loves it and tries his heart out for you - I just don't want to do anything to ruin his fun!!
    I always worry about this too because my guy is the same way - he almost loves it too much though! When he starts to get too strong for me the trainer hops on him and sorts him out for a few mins, then he's much easier. I also find watching the trainer ride helps me see the tools he uses to get my guy going nicely. Good luck in your lesson!

Paradox - YAY for your recovery going strong!

Healthyobsession - haha love the username and welcome!

The other big news in my life is I got into grad school, very very last minute - thank you international transcript transcribing company (say that 3 times fast!). Sadly it is 2 1/2 hours away so my lease will have to stop end of this month, but happily I already know where I'm riding when I get there. So typical that I have a barn to ride at but not an apartment to live in. Yet.
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by jaslyn1701 View Post
    Pancakes - Congratulations - your new boy is just lovely!

Yay, Paradox on the walking cast.

Welcome myHealthyObession and Tiger Horse!
    Ditto on all three of these comments! Tiger Horse -- I have a hard time remembering to breathe too!

MyHealthyObsession - you are absolutely right about the importance of having people around you who support your riding and understand your need to make it part of your life. I don't think I could do it all without my non-horsey husband, who has become quite the assistant at shows, and always helps me find time to get to the barn.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Congrats on Grad School Event4Life. Will you still be in NC? I did Undergrad and Grad School there -- great state!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Welcome to all the new posters! Glad to see so many new faces.

Pancakes, your guy is cute!

===

I got taken out by the flu the day after Christmas ... and I'm just now feeling somewhat human again. I'm scheduled for a lesson on Thursday, but I'm still coughing quite a bit, so it looks like I'll be rescheduling for next Monday.

Hope everyone is doing well!
    The dude abides ...

Quote Originally Posted by TarheelJD View Post
    Congrats on Grad School Event4Life. Will you still be in NC? I did Undergrad and Grad School there -- great state!
    Thanks, Tarheel....Yep, still in NC but I'm off to be a Sea Hawk! Very excited! I'm also excited to only be 2 1/2 hours drive from home rather than an ocean away.

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    Thanks, Tarheel....Yep, still in NC but I'm off to be a Sea Hawk! Very excited! I'm also excited to only be 2 1/2 hours drive from home rather than an ocean away.
    Love Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach! I haven't been images though, I am sure a lot has changed. Have a great time in school there.

All of these posts about people getting sick are terrifying. I cannot afford to get sick right now, while things are crazy at work, and I need all the time I can to get back into "showing" shape by spring.

Pancakes congratulations. So happy for you. Please post more pictures when he comes home.

Congratulations Event4life, hope you enjoy your studies.

I had a little colic scare with my horse today. He seems to be ok but if you're walking by a curb chain give it a jingle for us, it can't hurt (says she the overly-superstitious one).

Congratulations on your grad school decision, Event4Life! What will you be studying?

Paradox, great news about the walking cast! The light at the end of the tunnel is showing!

Pancakes, the picture is lovely! Can't wait to see and hear more about the new boy!

Hazel, Am jingling for you and your boy. Keep us posted.

DD is home from college and went to the barn with me. She rode Sky for the first time and is now one of her biggest fans. Very gratifying!
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Welcome to the new posters. You have come to the right place for support and wonderful people who understand if things don't go the way you plan and want to vent.

Pancakes your new guy. mmm nope he is complety unsuitable you have to send him to me right away..

Paradox good for the walking boot.. sounds like a good step forward. But be prepared to feel the pain for a few months after.. I still feel pain from a simple break and your was much more than mine.

Dewey, event4life congerats on grad school. Wish I had continued on school but such is life, and I doubt they have a grad program in underwater basket weaving.

Hazel jingles hope all turns out well for your boy.

I had planed on riding this weekend... set it all up.. we are going though the "Jan. thaw" so temps going up to about 60. Then dh checked his email and he squashed that.. he has one of two drills this weekend. Of course next week the weathermen (checked all the local and the weather channel)says it is supposed to snow like a mad man.
    And despite living where I do I don't do snow... or cold well...Actually I have often thought that winters in Ohio would be perfect if it were in Fla. I even at one time asked our mayor if it would be possible to rent a rather large front end and scoop up our town and transport the entire town down there for the winter.. He said no..

Hey does anyone work for the SS admin. here? I've got a question. If someone does if you could PM me I would appicerate.

Piggie is doing better. The vet is amazed he wishes he had taken a pic. when he has seen him when he was sick to compare to his last apoitment. He did blood work and it came back clean. He is stumped as to what he had/has, he thinks he has something that I can not pronounce let alone spell but it is body basically attacking itself from inside out. think I have that correct. But he is feeling much better.. acting like a puppy.
    Friend of bar .ka

Thanks everyone. Nervous Nellie (aka me) was at the barn at 7:30 this morning on my way to work. All the horses thought I'd come to feed ha ha. So there was lots of poop in his stall and he was awake and looking at me like his usual self. Big sigh of relief. I lost my heart pony to colic about 4 years ago and I've never really gotten over it, so walking into the barn yesterday and seeing his hay outside his stall and his halter on made my blood run cold. I think he is okay, thanks for the good wishes. I'll head over again at lunch so I'll let you know how he's doing.

Very good news HazelG!

So, I've been watching lots of videos trying to get the mechanics of the two point down. I understand keeping your weight in your heels and not pinching with the knee. What role does the thigh play? And what about your lower leg - resting or gripping? How do you find the sweet spot or is it just a matter of finding your own balance point. Sorry so many questions!

Hazel, glad to hear your pony is doing well. Continued best wishes.

Tiger Horse, not sure this will help, but I always think of "wrapping" my legs around my horse, so basically even contact between thigh, knee, calf. Good luck!

Bumknees, glad to here the piggy progress report. Yay!

Dewey, I bet it was fun to watch your DD ride Sky. . That's cool.

Event4life, congrats! Happy apartment hunting.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde