The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 123 of 397 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133173223 ... LastLast
Results 2,441 to 2,460 of 7931
    between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1 View Post
    Wow! He is cute! It also helps that he looks just like Oliver in the face.
    Now I'm going to need to see a picture of Oliver because I'm late to the game and have missed previous ones youve probably posted! I love horses that have that "pony" face. Dukes 15.1ish but totally has a pony personality, in the best way, & I LOVE it.

Thanks for all the compliments on him everyone. I won't tell him because he's conceited enough already :-P.

BB - I think everyones covered it nicely, but I would emphasize TAKE THE TIME YOU NEED TO HEAL and FOLLOW YOUR DRs ORDERS. I had a fall that landed me in the hospital a few years ago. It was XC and put me off jumping for a very long time. I then took a break while at uni/year abroad so for nearly 4 years. I am just now getting back into jumping, though I have had a lot of fun on the flat. I spent one summer working at a guest ranch and took a course of polo lessons at uni, though spent most of that 4 years out of the saddle. I found Jane Savoie's books on fear are also useful.

When you do get cleared to ride, don't pressure yourself at all and maybe think outside the box. You can have a lot of fun learning something new, as I discovered.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

So despite my crazy right leg that I am tending to brace while doing ring work (imagine pressing down on the brake of your car/truck really hard! ick!)...

Our church is presenting an outdoor drama this weekend - Journey to Bethlehem - complete with shepherds, a marketplace, inn, village, wise men, critters, manger, etc. as well as a census taker and (drum roll) a Roman soldier on a well-humored bay mare. Yours truly will be riding the mare - both of us in costume. Requesting jingles in advance for an uneventful evening of "soldiering."

Bumknees, any update on your doggie?

Event4Life, great pictures! He is a cutie! And you look as though you are having so much fun!

BB, I don't have any advice to offer other than what the wise folks on this thread have already posted. I haven't had a bad fall since I started re-riding (knock on wood), but I am very conscious of my age especially since I ride a green, scaredy-cat mare. I did buy a vest after reading descriptions earlier in the thread of people's bad falls. For some time, I had been aware that I have been lucky. I bought a Racesafe vest from a tack shop in the UK after researching and deciding what kind of vest I wanted. They had many more fit options (and colors, if you care) than were available here, and I was able to buy an extra-small with a short back (good for me as I am only 5' tall). It only took a few rides to get used to it, and now I wear it every single ride. I even showed in it over fences! I wore it right over my show coat.

Anyway, here's a pic of me wearing my vest (bonus: you get to see how cute Sky is):

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/z...kyJune2012.jpg
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Well he seems to be doing better. BUT I dont know if that is the drugs or if it is him actually doing better kwim.
    Last night for the first time in awhile he slept next to me like this close to me... every time I move to give my self room he would move that much closer. As if to say " dont move I need momy time" I moved until I was almost off dh's side of the bed and he was right there with me. And we have a king size bed if you dont take away for the dogs that have taken over most of it.
    He is eating again. Accrding to Ds who feeds the dogs because he goes to work at O'dark thirty he ate all of his breakfast this morning. So hopefully this is a good sign... Actuall his exact words were "he inhailed his breakfast this morning."...
    I have no illusions that this could be a temp. thing andit could be just the feel good effect ofthe drugs he is on. But I will take it if it means Ihave some good days to remember him by. It will still break my heart.. but I wll have them remember.. I can hope it is not but remember it is a posibilty..
    Friend of bar .ka

That is wonderful news, bumknees! Let's hope he continues to improve.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

well the Piggie has made another step as if to say Im back "to normal" but I have seen enough anmials here who have seemed to have come back only to take a nose dive...
    He woke me up at 3this morning by barking.. and he has only one volune.. very very did I say very loud enough to wake the dead loud bark. And hm bouncing on my bed... So I had no choice but to wake up... and make my way down the dark hallto my DS door with Pig barking all the way.. I guess he likes to hear himself echo.. Pig sitting outside Ds door.. barking ( Ds feeds Piggie and other dogs in morning because he normally m-f sometimes sat) I knock get groan from DS which his dog took as "come in" so he went follwed by Pig followed by the "normal" growl"and"snap" between Pig and Dash( Ds dog) and Pig comes out barking at me as if to compian about Dash.
    Yup things appear normal but how long will they last.
    Friend of bar .ka

1 members found this post helpful.

bumknees that is GREAT news!! Jingles this new development STICKS and it's the legit on ramp for the road to recovery.

OH - I'm checking in to report that I'm alive after my crazy decision to participate in our church's outdoor drama. I was a Roman soldier on a horse. I knew our little Penny was a solid citizen but this mare shocked everyone last night! Baby strollers, kids racing up to pet her, a dozen fire pits, torches, a stock trailer full of other 4 legged furries, hollering/screaming in the village marketplace...I could go on. I was worried if she wigged out I would become an inpatient, but she was great. It was good for me to work on my whacky right leg, too.

Today the weather is pretty surreal for December. Going to do a little conditioning on the grey mare and maybe head back out to Bethlehem if these old bones can take it!!

I hope everyone gets a chance to ride today!! Trot on!!

Bumknees - that is great news about Piggie! Hope the improvement continues!

Finzean - wtg on your Roman soldier gig and you must be so proud of your pony!

Due to outside issues in my life, I opted to ride The Sainted Mare (sort of) yesterday. There were 7 of us in the jump field playing around. Somebody got the bright idea that we ride "barrel" patterns using jumps, to go around, not over. So, we all did that, seeing how close we could get and stay on - lol - at the trot. Must say the mare was great at that game and almost lost me a time or two. Then we played "The Command Game" (kind of like Simon Says without Simon). We did pretty well, including trotting with no stirrups. Then our caller called out halt, back up five steps. Well, we got the backing up part, but instead of standing like a good girl, the mare would walk forward exactly 5 steps so we ended up where we started!

Today I rode The Mare again and we went on a trail ride in the tree farm next to the barn property. Poor Mare - she is a habitual snacker, of the snatch and chew variety. There were no good snacks to be had! Poor Mare about starved on the ride and was a grump about it! LOL
    And nothing bad happened!

I need to apologize now - the final course of my college degree is *very* intense and is taking up an immense amount of time. I'm having a hard time even keeping up with reading this thread, much less replying. Please know that I'll catch up with everyone eventually - probably once this course is over mid-January.

In the meantime, I may be more or less absent. I'll at least try to post my own little updates 'cause I love the comaraderie of this group.

Anyway, I did get to see my horses yesterday, but I got there *just* after BO had turned them out. I had texted her early that morning to say I would be out in the afternoon, hoping that would be a queue for her to put them out in the morning. ::shrug:: Oh, well. I had mysef all psyched up to go for a ride on Velvet, but the horses were so enjoying turn-out (hadn't gotten outside the day before because of weather, either, so they really needed the turn-out) that I just hung in the pasture with them a bit. Sometimes it's nice to just enjoy their company.

One cute story - my little Rose decided she wants to be an olympic event horse. I missed it as I was walking by the barn, but BO said when she let them out, all 3 were galloping having a good time. Well, there is a natural bank in the front pasture - pretty high, too. Rose galloped the top part and apparently did a flying leap down to the bottom level. BO said she had a heart attack watching her, but the little stinker didn't miss a beat - landed like a pro and kept on galloping. Of course, I'm only laughing because she was perfectly fine - thank goodness she's so athletic and has a good enough brain in that pretty little head that she apparently was able to measure her landing perfectly.

I ultimately want to do Jumpers with her. She sure doesn't mind jumping - that's for sure. Hopefully she'll do it over man-made jumps just as well as she's done it with natural obstacles quite a few times in the year and a half I've owned her. If not, hey, I can always join a Hunt, right? I just have to step up my game so I can keep up with her if we go Hunting.

Trying to catch up on the thread still- but bumknees, that's great!

We had an organized trail ride with barnmates yesterday where we trailered to the '96 Olympic cross country facility at the horse park, and we had a blast! Ollie was way more relaxed than last time, so we opted to go over a few of the more two-foot-ish fences and a random bench in a campground area as well. He was SO silly with the bench - he rocked way back and lifted his knees to his nose. Not touching! I'm not touching it! I'm not touching it! It was cute how careful he was, considering he runs through jumps like the Kool-Aid man at home, haha. Now I'm thinking some more "scary" and solid jumps at home would teach him to be more careful. Cross country schooling, here I come!

Thanks Painted.. He seems to be doing better every day. I think I can say that the vet was incorrect. But I am not going to say he was wrong because perhaps he was on the brink of no return for a normal dog... You know one not so dedicated to his owner and one not so "in love with it owner" kwim... Only the vet can say that. But he is definatly out of the woods. He goes back on Friday for his eval so then I can say for sure. But to me he is out of the woods... Thanks everyone for your jingles.... And Piggie says thanks also... as he woke me up at 3 this morning by barking and licking my hand ( he never licks face he is such a good boy when it comes to that). He wanted to "watch the weather Channel" I think he is in love with the girl that is on at that time...

Oh my saddle came yesterday.. It is beautiful.... Just as I remembered it as a JR. I got a Corsby Equileberium(sp) and it is perfect in size in the seat and flaps.. It was comfy... well what can you say when someone else broke it in nearly 30yrs ago...
    Friend of bar .ka

BigButt: I wish I could give you some advice, but thankfully (knock on wood) I've yet to get injured while riding. But I do know when I get down on myself, or work and my schedule start working against me, all I need is some time off and that usually fixes my head.

Bumknees: So happy to hear your dog is doing better! As for the Crosby Equilibrium, I agree! I bought a used Crosby plain flap PDN about 2 years ago. It's still in great condition and I absolutely love it! So much so, I'm thinking about getting the foam taken out and reflocked with wool so I don't have to buy a new saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    Now I'm going to need to see a picture of Oliver because I'm late to the game and have missed previous ones youve probably posted! I love horses that have that "pony" face. Dukes 15.1ish but totally has a pony personality, in the best way, & I LOVE it.
    Actually this photo you posted reminded me of him. Oliver has a cob-sized head, even though he's a 16h OTTB.

Oliver 1
    Oliver 2
    Oliver 3
    The dude abides ...

Opus/Bumklnees - I have a Crosby PDN that I found new in my local tack shop when I was saddle shopping. It had just been sitting there for years - no knee rolls, no thigh blocks, no sofa cushion. I love it!!! Oliver it totally handsome!!!

Bumknees, glad Piggie continues to bounce back!

BigButt - how are you doing?
    And nothing bad happened!

Oliver is adorable! My last two OTTBs, at 16.1 and 16.3, both wore cob-sized bridles.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Bumknees how's your dog doing? Did your new riding gear show up yet?

Pancakes how is your aunt? And how are you? Have you looked at any horses recently?

Thanks for everyones suggestions. I've been up to the barn a couple of times this week, just to work a tiny bit on the flat, but more to give him a chance to spread his young legs and burn off steam.

I've decided I'm not making any hard decisions at this point with him - I'm going to give myself the 2 months that my coach will be riding him.

Some days I think that its just a matter of time and I will be ready to swing my legs back over. Then there is a number of days that I look at the costs that I incur with him, and that at my age, money backing, and talent - the best I can hope for would ever be to just attend an A rated show. So suddenly the passion for the sport and horses is being over shadowed by the realistic side of me.

So I think its just best if I wait and give this a bit of time. I've had the spark since I could walk, and been involved with horses for the last 30 years... so this is a really difficult feeling to overcome. My direct family (hubby and 19 year old son) are being amazing - they just want me safe not to give this up. The rest of my family and friends are still waiting and hoping I come to my senses and just sell him.

On the plus side when I have been working with him on the ground I'm not feeling like I can't wait to get the hell out of there. But I'm not feeling the fearless passion I used to have.

But thanks for the support here!

BB - your 2 months of "off" time couldn't come at a better time. Don't pressure yourself...I feel like there's something really great & appropriate Yoda would say here but I got nothing. Just hang out and enjoy the horses from the ground...it's not that bad.

As for me....

Saturday's HUGE win with the Roman solidiering gave way to a rude and tacky mare on Sunday before we even got out of the driveway. She was just being rude - the short version: she squished me between herself and the trailer, then sat down on the trailer and popped the baling twine loop I had her tied to & got her head stuck under the chest bar. Got to the event and she was pawing, pawing, pawing and then sat down again. I didn't even take her off. By this point, my ribs were really starting to hurt from the squish so I just took her home. This mare is pretty bomb proof but can be ruder than any of the stallions I've ever handled when she is in one of her moods. We left the farm Sunday at feeding time and the ponies in the front pasture galloped up to the nearest fencing while we were loading her and that set her off, I think. She does self load & I was in a safe zone...it was just an accident but I'm barely able to get small things done - and a sneeze or hiccup is pretty painful. Oh well, such is life...

So I'll be living vicariously through everyone else's posts! Y'all bundle up and trot on. Next week I'm determined to be back in the saddle.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

AWWW Oliver is so cute!! I definitely see the resemblance especially in your last pic.

Finzean, sorry you got squished. Stuff like that always seems to happen after a good outing directly before it for some reason!

BB - give it time & hang in there!

I had a lesson on Sunday. COTHer Jens came to watch and took a long video which I have yet to see. I'm slightly terrified because we were doing a rollback exercise which oversized pony and I found to be quite the challenge. The jumps were set across the arena in zig-zag form right up against each other. By the end of the lesson we had it quite nicely in trot. Canter was a bit of a disaster. He was really heavy because I was leaning too far forward, so trainer got on him and sorted him out. We have a lot to practice before our lesson next Tuesday, but I still feel like we made good progress. After trainer got on him he was much lighter to the fences so I know what "feel" I am looking for now.

Yesterday I went on a trail ride with Dukes owner. We were out for 2hrs+ & it was fabulous. We rode around the neighborhood then through the woods up by the lake. He was such a good boy :-D.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Finzean, sorry for the squish. Hope you feel better soon!

Event4life, sounds like a very fun and productive ride! Good for you

PaintedHunter, the XC schooling sounds like a blast! I would love to do that again. It has been a while.

ClassyRide, study hard. You can play later! Good luck with your tough class.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde