The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 122 of 326 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132172222 ... LastLast
Results 2,421 to 2,440 of 6513

It sounds to me as if you did everything that a normal caring dog-owner would have done. We can't second-guess everything, and most of us have had the experience of dogs coming back from the vet's office having picked up some virus or other from another dog in the waiting room, so many of us are very cautious about running to the vet.

Your vet sounds sensible, and maybe the 10 days will prove that it was a simple infection after all. I hope so.

Cancer is a scary word and yes, it's one of the first things you suspect when a human or animal suddenly loses a lot of weight. But your dog dropped weight SO quickly - four days??? That's NOT a long time; you didn't do anything wrong!

No matter how attentive we are or how much we love our animals, we cannot notice every change instantly. Please don't waste any psychic energy blaming yourself - take care of your dog! And also please take care of yourself, because if you're upset and angry, your dog has no way of knowing that you're not upset or angry at him. For his sake, try to be at peace with yourself.

I've added three curb chains to the wreath on my door, so you'll get serious jingles whenever anyone goes in or out (which is pretty much from six in the morning until ten at night).
    Home page: www.jessicajahiel.com
    Horse-Sense newsletter: www.horse-sense.org

bumknees -- seriously, you don't need to beat yourself up. Our pets can go downhill very quickly, and you were doing everything you could to help him at home. As soon as you realized that wasn't working, you took him to the vet. There is no reason to torture yourself. Jingles that the antibiotics do the trick.

Pancakes -- all great news, except for your freezer! Good luck on your shopping expedition. So exciting!

Glad for everyone who has had good rides recently. The weather is supposed to be pretty good here this weekend, so I am looking forward to horse time! I need to pull Tajar's mane - he looks a little disheveled right now.

Oh, and I guess I need to start a "yay, Dover" thread on Off Course. I generally don't buy from Dover by mail because of the shipping charges, but we have a Dover not far from me, so I do get stuff from there that requires lots of trying on, etc. I got my helmet there, and some boots. Well, I noticed on Sunday that the stitching on the cap toe of the left boot was coming undone. I've not worn these boots very often (I'm a bit of a field boot junkie, so I have a few pair that I rotate), and I got them 9 months ago. So, I dug out my receipt and brought them to Dover, and asked them to send them back to Ariat to see if Ariat would fix them. The manager at Dover just said "don't worry about going through all of that, we'll just give you a new pair." I told her I did not expect that, but she said no problem. So, off I went with me new boots. The only bummer is that now I need to break them in The other pair were at the point where they fit like gloves.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Hi, everyone--just a quick check-in--

Bumknees, I am jingling for your puppy! I have an elderly, frail dog myself, so I know my time with him is precious and limited. I really feel for you. I am in total agreement with everyone else--you are not to blame, and you need to give yourself a break. You sound like a very conscientious dog owner to me. Give him lots of hugs, and please keep us posted.

Event4Life, I love the picture! More, more!

Pancakes, it's so nice to read cheerful words from you! May your horse search prove fruitful soon!

I had a lovely ride today. The weather is really nice, and Sky was so good! She jumped a short course and was so relaxed and lovely! She even did two perfect changes, one in each direction.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    Hi, everyone--just a quick check-in--

Event4Life, I love the picture! More, more!
    Ask and you shall receive!...

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...78370733_n.jpg ....and this is why we'll never do the hunters! LOL And ugh I need a bigger saddle.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...19704194_n.jpg so stikin' cute. I am so glad I found this horse :-D

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...97284005_n.jpg Whee!

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...62584597_n.jpg forgot my release but upper body and leg is better in this one

Love this pony, & looking forward to an awesome winter and then hopefully spring of competing. Needless to say I also love North Carolina weather.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Jingling like crazy, Bumknees! Hoping your doggie is all better very soon, and that you get some much-needed saddle time.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Jingles for your dog Bumknees.

Way to go on the lead changes Dewey!

Glad to hear your aunt is doing better Pancakes. And good luck with the horse search. We're all anxiously waiting to hear!

Thanks for posting the pics Event. Very cute pony!

Not much new up here. Weather has been really weird, freezing then warm then freezing again. Colic weather. So far we have been lucky. I have a brutal work schedule coming up this month so I had a lesson tonight because I could. We've been working on flatwork and eq for the last month. Tonight we got to jump a two foot vertical. I thought my horse was going to explode with happiness. He loves to jump and gives me the big eye-roll to heaven when we don't. Ahhhh, winter riding in Canada

Event4Life - how close are you to the Piedmont? Or Suffering Pines? I've been toying w/the thought of hitting the Foundation....sometime...in the near-ish future!

Love your horse! Adorbs!

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post
    Event4Life - how close are you to the Piedmont? Or Suffering Pines? I've been toying w/the thought of hitting the Foundation....sometime...in the near-ish future!

Love your horse! Adorbs!
    Thanks He is pretty cute, and knows it too.

I think the Foundation is the series we're aiming for. Is it a jumper series that starts in April around the Triangle Area? The pony is kept at a private place in Durham but we ride with True Flight Equine (they come to us). I don't know where Suffering Pines is....my geography of NC is not very good! lol
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Cute pictures Event4Life! Thanks for sharing them.

As you can tell by my COTH name, I am partial to NC. I spent all of my undergrad and grad school years there.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Sorry if this isn't where I belong, but I thought I might find someone thats going through what i'm going through now.
    Not so sure I'm a re-rider, as through out the 30 years I've been riding, I've taken planned breaks, and no so planned breaks. For the last 10 years I've been riding steady, only with a coach the last 5.
    But this year I've had to take two unplanned breaks. One 6 months ago when I was behind my horse and accidentally spooked him. Got double barrelled twice and ended up with internal organ bruising (we got me in the pelvis) and two broken ribs (from being slammed against the wall). It was on the ground learned my lesson, and have ensured now I know for certain my horse is aware if I go behind him. That had me off for 12 weeks. Then I just started to get back into lessons, started jumping again at the 2'6 height where we had left off before the last injury.

And then due to a bunch of stupid things, my horse bronced me off on Saturday and I ended up rebreaking those ribs, damaging my spleen and severe deep muscle bruising in my tailbone, lower back and hip. So now I'm on bed rest.

This dump (and I probably have over 50 dumps in my lifetime of riding) scared me. And it terrified my 19 year old son, and non horsey hubby.

So we have my coach putting 60 days on him, and I've promised to buy a vest - although I'm thinking the air vests would have worked on my last 10 falls to protect me more then the standard vests. Expensive but I don't bounce any longer.

Now jumping I LOVE(d). But now as I lie here in bed trying to heal, looking at all sorts of video's of ugly dumps (as I was researching vests) I have to say I suddenly am not sure I want to ride anymore. And that scares me more then anything. When we spoke to my coach yesterday I was thrilled to get a plan in place for my horse, and even the discussion of the vest made me feel so reassured, but now I'm just sitting here thinking - this is a crap load of money, and I am so sore, I'm kinda scared. I keep thinking, its not so much the riding that scares me, but now if I'm jumping it does scare me again.

I know its early, but I don't want to focus on the fear - I'm not sure if I should just make little mini goals for myself, or just change everything - I'm not a pretty enough rider to really do well in hunters or dressage, although its not like I'm out trying for the Canadian team.

Has anyone gone through this? What did you do?

Bigbutt:

You are not alone. I took a bad fall in the summer of 2010 and ended up with a broken collar bone. My initial post on COTH right after that was basically "oh Lord, I am too old, and don't bounce, and I have so many people that count on me, that I don't think I am going to be able to ride anymore." I was on drugs, and in pain, and worried about how people at work would be able to cover for me while I got better. I was seriously feeling sorry for myself!

The best advice I received from other COTHers was to take some time to let myself heal before making any assumptions about what the future would hold, and just take it one step at a time when coming back from the injury. Your whole mindset will be different once you feel better physically.

You may have some apprehension about riding again once you are physically able, but you may not (or it may be less than you think). There are many books, DVDs, CDs, etc. that can help you through that. I listened to Jane Savoie's Freedom From Fear series when I started riding again, and I found it helpful. I won't paint too rosey a picture, I still have some apprehension from that fall and broken bone, but the great fun days far outweigh the "bad."

As far as the images in your head from vest shopping, try not to dwell on those. Those are, by their nature, worst case scenarios. When you go to drive your car, you don't dwell on all the bad accidents you have seen, right? Riding is a dangerous sport, but you could get hurt doing anything in everyday life too.

For now, just take care of yourself.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TarheelJD View Post
    Bigbutt:

The best advice I received from other COTHers was to take some time to let myself heal before making any assumptions about what the future would hold, and just take it one step at a time when coming back from the injury. Your whole mindset will be different once you feel better physically.

As far as the images in your head from vest shopping, try not to dwell on those. Those are, by their nature, worst case scenarios. When you go to drive your car, you don't dwell on all the bad accidents you have seen, right? Riding is a dangerous sport, but you could get hurt doing anything in everyday life too.

For now, just take care of yourself.
    Totally AGREE! I think a lot of us have battle bruises and old injuries and where in we once had that invincibility gene, we now have the falibility [sic] gene. I broke 4 ribs, then only rode about 3 times before retiring my aged mare & am only now - 5 years later - getting back in the saddle. I gotta be honest and say that despite my physical limitations of 2 really bad old injuries that give me a devil of a time....it's the mental stuff that really beats me down. For now, I'm sticking to my safety net Connemara pony. I'm sure as I get my seat back & get more confident things are going to change...and I'm going to celebrate every teensie little victory!!

OH - and I think you should focus on the GOOD YouTube videos where no one train wrecks. Happy Healing!!

Event4Life - "Suffering Pines" is really Southern Pines. As a former working student, we coined that name for the summer days when the heat index was 115 and the sand hills served as mirrors bouncing back every bit of heat at us!!

The Foundation is Walthour Moss Foundation right on Hwy. 1. Lots of folks go there to hack out/trail ride. Back in the day, Southern Pines Horse Trials was there...there used to be a h/j schooling series in a field over on May St. I'm not sure what all happens there anymore since Carolina Horse Park was built. There was something about the trees in your photos that made me think you might live nearby. Was going to give you a shout if/when I head that way to wander around the foundation on my little grey mare.

For all that - we should put together a spring time COTH NC "trail ride" there....
    Last edited by Finzean; Dec. 7, 2012 at 08:09 AM. Reason: $ is not a 4

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post
    Event4Life - "Suffering Pines" is really Southern Pines. As a former working student, we coined that name for the summer days when the heat index was 115 and the sand hills served as mirrors bouncing back every bit of heat at us!!

The Foundation is Walthour Moss Foundation right on Hwy. 1. Lots of folks go there to hack out/trail ride. Back in the day, Southern Pines Horse Trials was there...there used to be a h/j schooling series in a field over on May St. I'm not sure what all happens there anymore since Carolina Horse Park was built. There was something about the trees in your photos that made me think you might live nearby. Was going to give you a shout if/when I head that way to wander around the foundation on my little grey mare.

For all that - we should put together a spring time COTH NC "trail ride" there....
    hahaha in the back of my head I was thinking, "Does she mean SOUTHERN pines?" I do know where that is, lol.

I'm pretty sure the jump series is called foundation something or another, but can't remember...either way, a ride in the forest sounds great :-D. I'll have to see if the BO fancies it too because she has a trailer!

Bigbutt, welcome to the group. I am so sorry you are busted - heal quickly. As the others have said, get well first, then see where you want to go. I am lucky, have not managed to break anything from my involvement with horses, it's the mental stuff that gets me most of the time. The What If monster that is clenched on my shoulder. Some days all I can do is groom and let my horse graze; some days I just walk and trot around in the ring (my safety net - at least mentally), and then there are days when I can leave the net and ride in the jump field with no fences!!!!

Take it one day at a time - and we are always here to help.
    And nothing bad happened!

Thank you everyone,

Part of me knows that this is just the physical pain thats making me feel like this. I know I need to give myself time to heal on this, I'm just very impatient!
    And lying in my bed is definately wasn't part of my plan.

Thank you everyone for your kind words.

Welcome, BigButt. Everyone has given you SUCH GOOD ADVICE so far, I am not sure I have a lot to add. I will re-emphasize though, that you should think about healing first, get physically better, and then take things slow before making any final decisions about what the future will hold. I broke 3 ribs this past March and though I rode immediately afterwards, I never stopped thinking for months about that fall and it bugged me every time I got back up on the horse, even if just to walk around. These are serious animals. They can hurt you. But, you may find that you can't help but want to get back up there and start again. I think a vest is a good investment for the future, just in case, but mentally you have to move past the events and injuries and take each day as a new one. Caution is good, but don't write anything off just yet. You will definitely feel better as you heal and gain more confidence in yourself. Get better soon! Lots of advil and rest!

Event4Life, VERY cute. Looks like you have a winner there! Enjoy.

Bigbutt (I feel mean calling you that since I don't know you ). Like others have said, just take it each day. Too early to make a decision. I know how you feel. I'm in the middle of resting a broken ankle. I've had a cast on for 5 weeks, and still have 7 to do. It's very frustrating. Good luck.

I don't always get to comment on everyone's post, but I DO read them all. Hope everyone is doing well.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    Ask and you shall receive!...

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...78370733_n.jpg ....and this is why we'll never do the hunters! LOL And ugh I need a bigger saddle.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...19704194_n.jpg so stikin' cute. I am so glad I found this horse :-D
    Wow! He is cute! It also helps that he looks just like Oliver in the face.
    The dude abides ...

BB try reading some equestrian sports psychology books. I had a huge anxiety issue in the show ring (read complete inability to think or function as soon as I walked through the ingate) and my trainer suggested these books. There are a few chapters on fear and coming back after a fall or injury. I can't tell you the exact titles or authors but I ordered them off Amazon so you can just search on there. It will give you something else to do while you're lying in bed healing