The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 121 of 343 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131171221 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,420 of 6843

Like Dewey I have been lurking around, but haven't had too much time to compose a wonderful, long response like ClassyRide. So, like Dewey, I will adopt CR's responses.

On the group lesson thing, I feel the same as Opus1. I like a mix of private an group lessons. The private lessons allow me to focus on me, and the group lessons give me push to do more/better.

It was a gorgeous weekend in Georgia last weekend, and I enjoyed my time at the barn, but it was too hurried thanks to other social obligations. I love the holidays, but Lord are they exhausting. I need to stop trying to say yes to everything, so I have some down time.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

I lessoned today. And by lesson, I mean putter around at a walk-trot while catching up with my trainer. I won't be able to lesson again probably until the end of the month, with work and the holidays. But I told her that once January rolls in, I'll be out on Thursdays to practice ride, then out for lessons on Monday mornings. And I'll be aiming to do a show in March/April.

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    My lease horse is at a small, "private" co-op and I just can't get out there enough to be a huge help with the blanket issue so unless his owner suggests clippingvI think I'll just have to put up with it.
    Yeah, I probably wouldn't do it either in that situation. Blanketing comes with board at my barn, so it's not something I'd have to look after myself. Plus, I ride in N. Fla., so it doesn't get quite as cold, even if it does fluctuate like crazy sometimes.

The trainer and I were talking about it today, and he's been pretty sweaty during his lessons, so I went ahead and gave her the go ahead with a trace clip.
    The dude abides ...

Got to the barn for my lesson tonight, and noticed that the pony I usually ride was being tacked up by someone else for another lesson right before mine. Sometimes that happens, but I always feel bad for the horse when it does. So I asked my trainer if I could ride my horse (Mr. All Better) and do the flatwork part of the lesson. He agreed, and horse was awesome! Totally sound w/t/c both directions. So we had a great flatwork session, and then I watched the rest of the group jump. My horse isn't cleared for jumping yet, but he's been w/t/c for at least two full weeks now, and has totally unrestricted turnout, so clearing for jumping is next. He was a bit spunky at the canter because he has not cantered in a group for over a year. Fun lesson, and great to be back on my boy!
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Yay, pony4me!!! I bet that felt really good!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

way to go Pony4me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great news Pony4me! Glad he was feeling well and that you had fun! (Who do you ride with? You can pm me if you want.)
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Glad to hear, Pony4Me!!

==

Quick question, slightly off topic for the thread regulars and/or lurkers:

How much do you spend on your BM/trainer's Xmas gift? You can PM me if you like, but now that I'm an owner and boarder and not just a student, I was curious.

Thanks!

ETA: Sorry if it's tacky to asking about price specifics. You can always say X% of a month's board if you'd rather. Or ballpark it. I think I know what I want to get my trainer, but I don't want it to be too much, y'know?
    The dude abides ...

Opus1 -- I spend about $125 to $150 on each of my two trainers/instructors.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you!
    The dude abides ...

Opus, "we", as in the boarders and whoever else wants in, usually put $ in a pot, either for something specific of just give cash to go toward something she wants. One year, it was $ toward new boots.

Pony4me - Way to go!!!

Opus - I suspect you and I are sort of neighbors - I am in N Fl too, but Jax way.
    And nothing bad happened!

Paradox, I ride at Hunter's Court, and have one lesson a week with Matt, and one with Amy. That way, I'm equally comfortable with each of them, at a lesson, or at a local show. Occasionally, I take a lesson with David, but not very often. And now that we're over this long, complicated rehab period, I probably should start using my horse's real name, which is Snickers. White Chocolate is his show name.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

-- I'd thought about a money pot to get one gift, but I'm not sure what everyone else is doing and I don't want to put anyone on the spot.

-- Yep, yep. T'hassee area. Of course, I live and work in Ga., but you know how it goes when you live close to the border.
    The dude abides ...

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1 View Post
    -- I'd thought about a money pot to get one gift, but I'm not sure what everyone else is doing and I don't want to put anyone on the spot.

-- Yep, yep. T'hassee area. Of course, I live and work in Ga., but you know how it goes when you live close to the border.
    I think you can do the money pot without putting anyone on the spot. Ask around what others are planning; suggest a few ideas that you could pool together for. Let people donate whatever amount is within their means. This worked really well at my barn: we got the BO a vacation instead of all getting random little gifts that would be forgotten about in less than a month. This became a tradition (except the one year my friends and I got her a winter jacket with her name and the farms embroidered on it as well) which was great because everyone knew what to expect & was happy to participate.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

jaslyn, we do that too. Not everyone does it. I usually go in with the IEA team. This year, I'm going to suggest we chip in for a new video camera.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Slighty off topic.. or fully off topic.. I took my dog to the vet yesterday after I tried to tend to what I thought was a simple abcess on his L hind foot. I did what every horse person would have done epson salts 20minutes then wrapped with icthmaol rinse repeat for a week. Then toss in sugardine when it appeared not to work. I took him to the vet becase he went off his food ( there is a reason his name is pig) and he dropped weight. 65lbs to 35lbs is just 4 days.
    It is my fault that I did not see something sooner as my health... I should have seen it sooner... /the vet said it might be CANCER... When he said that word I lost it... The vet however is open to the infection opition so he is give 10 days of antibot and steroids. So if I don't make it out to the barn in the next 10 days....
    It is all my fault. If I was not so wraped up in my health I would have cought on to the changes. I should have notied him pulling out fur. I should have noticed the weight loss.. I should have noticed all of it and I didn't ...
    if you could spare some jingles for him I'd appecerate it...
    Friend of bar .ka

Jingles for you and your pup, Bumknees. Please don't beat yourself up over this! It is not all your fault! Sometimes things happen with our pets so quickly. You did what anyone of us would have done prior to the trip to the vet!

Big hug for you!!!
    And nothing bad happened!

pony4me - YAY!!! I bet you were grinning from ear to ear with every regular, solid step!!!

Bumknees - ditto what Jaslyn1701 said: Don't beat yourself up over this. AND cancer is NOT necessarily the end of everything. Keep calm and panic if and only if there ends up being something to panic about. Let the vet do the worrying...you spend your energies loving on that fur baby!!! Jingles, and more jingles!!

Bumknees, don't give up hope yet...a really bad infection can cause a dog to drop weight and lose condition. I hope the antibiotics work. While I don't mind at-home remedies, if things don't look better in a week, I always tell people to get to a vet. Skin things are especially tough -- some things are not what they appear. Jingles for your dog and hope that it's just a really bad infection, or even osteomyelitis. Treat for the treatable and let the rest be as it may.

Opus1 -- I love your description of your "lesson." Sometimes that's what you need!

Congrats on the soundness issue, Pony4me! That's fantastic. I bet your horse was happy to get out too, pain-free!

Tarheel- I also do a similar thing. Some group lessons, some private. I wish there were more people my ability to do group lessons with, but any group lesson has some value. It's a combination of my variable schedule and that of the people that lesson frequently.

That's a good question...for you adults who take group lessons, are your co-riders pretty well matched in ability? Or do you get thrown in a group where you find that you're dong more or less than the other riders?

Update from the horse hunting...I financially am in a better spot, and I have a few prospects this week! I am hoping to go see 2 WBs on a long trip next week, and there are a few TBs that are also promising locally too if those WBs don't work out. It's exciting! I feel like I'm getting closer... I just hope they don't get sold out from under me, but if they do, c'est la vie. Sometimes I feel like I'm getting guilted into getting something that's beyond my comfort level because it's a nicer horse and I'm silly not to take a deal, but I honestly want to be able to enjoy myself and not get killed in the process at the end of the day.

I've been riding my trainer's adorable Welsh pony recently. He's SO stinking cute and athletic. We jumped almost everything in the jumper ring yesterday, including scary liverpools, gates, rolltops, and oxers! He is so brave and showing great promise. We ended jumping a 2'9" scary bright jump with no hesitation or refusals! Now we're just working on more miles for him, lead changes, and trying to make him into the pony hunter we all know he is It's really good for me too, since he's coming 7 and still very green. I'm looking to buy a green horse, so I need to learn how to handle their antics and be adaptable. It's also a lot less threatening on a pony than a 16.3 WB!

On an off-topic note, my aunt is doing a lot better. Not life-threatening at this point, but not out of the woods. It's going to be a lonnnnng recovery. And my refrigerator/freezer broke the night before last. NOT FUN!
    Last edited by Pancakes; Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bumknees View Post
    if you could spare some jingles for him I'd appecerate it...
    Jingles for your dog, bumknees. And please, please don't beat yourself up over it!
    The dude abides ...

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Bumknees - I'm so sorry to hear about your dog, hang in there, and don't beat yourself up. Try not to jump right to worst case scenario either, though we all know how tough that is.

Pancakes - how exciting about the horse hunting! I really, really hope to be in your position in the not to distant future. Don't get discouraged though, it took us nearly a year to find my first pony. And your welsh lesson pony sounds super cool, I <3 the littler guys.

Had a super ride this morning, again! It was beautiful weather & the BO let me know what time she was riding so it was nice to have company. Luckily its a bit cooler so poor pony isn't sweating quite so much. He's being soooo good though, I'm seeing improvement every ride in both of us.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...30985784_n.jpg this is an FB link so I really hope it works. Ignoring the fact my leg is on its way to the moon, how adorable is the oversized pony?!!! I love how much effort he puts into cross rails. WHEEEEEE! lol
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey