The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 120 of 295 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130170220 ... LastLast
Results 2,381 to 2,400 of 5895

ParadoxFarm, I realize that! But unfortunately I don't have 8,000 right now :/ That may change soon-ish though, so I'll be patient I guess.

Gotcha, Pancakes. I understand. . Don't rush. The right one will find you.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

It's funny. When I was doing lessons-only, I could ride 2x a week. Then when I was half leasing, it felt like it dropped to 1x a week. And now that I own, I seem to be riding Oliver about once a month. Oh, the irony.

But THANK GOD, the year's almost over. For all of Nov. and Dec. we've been trying to cram in the last of our vacation/furlough/personal days AND the workload will decrease and become normal again. And then I'll be able to schedule weekly lessons again. And have time to get out to the barn to just ride.

In the meantime, Oliver's doing well. He's done some wee x-country jumps with one girl, and he's still doing dressage with the other, and she hopes to be doing training level next year.

So, thankfully, he's being rode in my absence. The only changes I've noticed is he's a little less quick to pick up a trot, and now breaks from it sometimes. Of course, it's probably me, since my legs are all over the place from being out of the saddle for so long. We'll see how he does the next few months. Even if I take him out of the lesson rotation, I'll still have dressage girl ride him. She's hoping to take him to the state dressage finals next year.

Anyway ... Happy holidays everyone! Thought I'd check in before going AWOL during our holiday work increase.
    The dude abides ...

Well I did it.. I have no reason except weather of course to put off riding any more. Yesterday I bought a saddle and all the stuff I needed (including a helmet) I would need to ride. So I have no more excuse not to ride. And dh will be able to take me starting right after the stuff arrives soooo....
    Friend of bar .ka

1 members found this post helpful.

Yay, Bumknees! I hope your stuff gets to you while the weather is still nice, and that you have many happy rides. You're also all set to go for 2013.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

A novel about my adventures at the farm yesterday:

It was a surprisingly nice day outside yesterday. It was cloudy, but in the mid-forties with practically no wind. So, suited up in my layers, I ventured out to the farm where I board my three, which is nearly two hours from where I live right now.

Everyone was happy to see me. Both girls had their heads out the dutch doors as I walked from the parking lot and nickered to me. Aaawwww! My gelding waited to nicker until I was in the barn.

I worked baby Rose first. I haven’t had the surcingle on her in a little bit, but she stood like a good girl for me to stick the pads on her and lay the surcingle over. She did have to be reminded she’s not allowed to nip when I girth her up. She only tried it twice, then remembered, “Oh, yeah. I’m not supposed to do that.” She dove into her bridle like a good girl, I grabbed the side-reins, and off we went. Despite the fact that it was the afternoon and they hadn’t been turned out at all yet, she was quite the lady being led *way* out back to the round pen. To get there, we have to go through multiple gates (opening and closing along the way), we walk past a field with other horses out playing (usually a big distraction for her – she’s super friendly and always wants to leave me to go make friends. But yesterday, she was so good!), we walk through a field with alpacas in it (she’s still not sure of them, but she followed me easily), and finally we have to take down some hot tape to get through to the round pen. In the past, she’s always been flighty about that tape, because it flutters and moves funny and I think she can hear the electricity, too. But she was a solid citizen about it yesterday – good girl!

She was full of herself in the round pen from being cooped up all day, but listened well. I let her canter around for a while to get the ants out of her pants, but despite her energy, she stopped every single time I said, “Whoa” and waited for me to come to her (to adjust the side-reins and fix the saddle pad – it kept slipping back. Note to self – lace surcingle through pad straps from now on). Eventually I got her to do all 3 gaits calmly in both directions so I called it a day and led her back to the barn. She was just as much a lady walking back as she was going out. My little baby is growing up!

Next was Gabriel. I didn’t plan on doing much with him, so I decided to do something he and I hadn’t done in a while – just go for a walk. Literally – like how people walk a dog. Haha! It’s something he has always enjoyed, and I barely get to do it anymore. So, I stuck his halter and lead rope on and we just explored the back 10 of the property. He was loving it! His ears were forward and he had his happy face on. He even got to check out a new manure pile the BO just started – boy did he love that! He snuffed around that thing for about five minutes. Haha! And he stuck his nose in the air with his upper lip curled up a couple of different times as he smelled particularly interesting things. lol I adore him – he’s such a character.

And finally, it was Velvet’s turn. I’ve mentioned before on here about my confidence issues with cantering, but apparently my confidence is getting worse. I went to the farm fully intending to ride her. But once I got there, I started thinking, “I don’t want to get on her. I feel nervous today.” Nervous to even get on! What in the world??? But as I groomed her, and she kept looking at me with that pretty, happy, ears-forward face of hers, I started to talk myself into it again. I decided to tack her up and take her behind the barn to ride.

As I got back there, I discovered she’s becoming herd-bound. Oh, no! I’m gonna have to work on this with her. She and my gelding kept calling out to one another – probably a dozen times in the first 10 minutes I had her back there. But I tried to engage her brain by walking her around and doing ground-work stuff before I mounted. Finally, I got her brain engaged enough that she wasn’t calling to him anymore. BO’s hubby stopped working to come hold her while I got on (she stands still as a statue most times, but the last time I got on her, she started hopping around and bucking the moment my butt hit the saddle, so I wanted a safety net. Hhmmm – guess that’s why I was nervous to get on her yesterday), and he continued to watch us as we worked, just in case. I could tell she was still full of energy as we walked around, but she listened well. I asked her to trot once, and she didn’t take advantage and break into a canter. When I brought her back to a walk, she listened and continued walking even though I could feel her “asking” to trot again with her energy. I probably only rode her for about 5 minutes, but with my confidence being horrid that day, and her energy level up, I decided it was better to end on a good note than to keep pushing it. I must say, I am SO happy with her, ‘cause she stayed at a slow pace despite her energy-level. She really, really, really is such a good girl to put up with her wussy mommy! Haha!

Good thing is, I felt solid in the saddle yesterday. So the loose-leg syndrome was “just one of those things” that happened that one time. Bad thing is, my confidence is getting shaken way too easily these days. I can’t wait to get back into lessons so I can squash those stupid fears of mine. I only have 6 weeks left until I’m finished with college – then I can pursue weekly lessons with someone. I can’t wait.

ClassyRide, good job on tacking up and getting in the saddle. Saddle one is the only thing that will help. Maybe next ride will be ten minutes, and that's okay. Keep it up. Good job!

Bumknees, good for you. No excuses now. It's fun to ride with new equipment.

Opus, hope you get to take lessons in the near future. It really does help with regaining confidence. Good luck!

Update on my front, yes, I'm still in the leg cast and have at least seven weeks to go. Boo.

On a good note, my other horse is doing fine. Probably enjoying the time off!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! The weather is lovely here in Mid-TN! I think I will go hobble outside now for a few minutes to visit the "boys" in the barn.
    Last edited by ParadoxFarm; Dec. 20, 2012 at 09:29 PM.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Default How do they know???

My BO and her DH had somewhere they had to be last night and asked me to bring in the horses and do the night feed. No problem, I have done this before. But last night got me to wondering.

When my BO and her DH bring in horses, they can do it 3 or 4 at a time. I am not that skilled and know it. So, why is it that on the odd occasion that I do night bring in/feed that the horses all line up, one at a time for me to bring in?

It is the most amazing thing to me - there I am at the gate, now that time has changed, it's dark. The only horse I can really see is the 17h paint. There is a yard light near the gate, but it faces forward, not into the pasture. Yet, here they come, one at a time for me to halter and take to their stalls. And I can't see who is who until they get to the gate. I did take a flashlight so I could match up halters. Everyone has fantastic manners - there is no pushing or shoving, just walk through the gate pretty as you please.

The mares do the same thing.

Horses never cease to amaze me!
    And nothing bad happened!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I had a fantastic ride yesterday. The weather was BEAUTIFUL, nearly 70 so poor pony was hot hot hot. We kept it short - 1/2 an hour, and with lots of walking and only a short canter. The goal was to get a proper "working trot" before the end of the ride (He has a sticky, stiff western jog thats hard to work out of) while doing shapes etc. We accomplished that and he was trotting sooo nicely by the end of it we even got compliments from the girl and her mom who lease the BO's horse. They'd only seen me ride him once when I tried him, so it was nice of the mom to say he was "going really nicely." I'm still waiting to have a bad ride...lol....when is the honeymoon period over??
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Forecast today: 72 & sunny with a somewhat sweaty mare and an even sweatier old woman riding her. On the "to-do" list: continue to work on unbracing the old woman's right leg. Oh- and a lovely little hack in the woods to ice the cake.

Wow - SO MUCH to catch up on! Sorry it took me so long...

Jaslyn - I'm SO happy you had such a good ride on your boy a week ago. Finn is such a character - I absolutely adore a horse with a big personality. Hahaha! I can just picture him going and getting his treat, then l saying, "Ok, Mom! Come walk me outside." And I know how you feel about the whole "monkey climbing a tree" thing. LOL I have that with my 2 adult horses. I've never been terribly flexible, so I always try to find the tallest place to mount from that I can. What a good boy Finn was to stand for you. He is a Wonder Horse! I'm continuing to look to you as an inspiration in conquering my own fear issues...

Also, re: the horses lining up when you brought them in, isn't that incredible??? I've experienced stuff like that a few times, too. I don't know what it is - I swear horses are WAY more intelligent and intuitive than some people give them credit for.

PaintedHunter - Ollie sounds so adorable! Hahaha! I have a friend with a super-playful TB that does stuff like what Ollie does with the feeder. I'm a little sad that none of mine are that playful, but my baby horse does have a Rubber Chicken that she plays with. It is her favorite. It used to squeak, so she would step on it again and again to get it to make noise. However, she quickly wore out the squeaker. Then she started tossing it into the barn aisle. I distinctly remember one time when I was grooming her and I forgot to grab treats (God forgive me!), so I walked to my trunk to get them. As I rounded the corner, I heard a "thud" so I poked my head around. She had tossed her rubber chicken into the aisle, and was looking at me like, "Hey! You didn't finish scratching my itchy spots yet! Get back here!!" I couldn't help but lol on that one.

Pancakes - Many congrats on the course you jumped!!! It is amazing what you can learn in a year, isn't it?? I can't believe how much I've learned since I started riding again 7 years ago - it's shocking!

Event4Life - All in good time is right! Adult muscles seem to take more time to get used to things than young, developing muscles. But you *will* get there! Time and patience are an adult re-rider's best friends. It does make it so much easier when you're having good lessons, though, right? Many congrats on getting your boy to trot on so nicely!

Opus - It's always nice to know your horse is being well taken care of and kept in work even when you can't be there. Lucky you to have such great people around you! I always know my horses' care is in great hands, but I have nobody to work them when I'm not there. So, they've become as much "weekend warriors" as I have.

Bumknees - Congrats on getting all the pieces together! I hope you have a fantastic ride! I'll be eagerly awaiting an update from you to tell us all about it.

ParadoxFarm - You're so sweet. Thank you SO MUCH for the encouragement - I really need that right now. It's easier to make myself do things when I know I'm not silly for feeling the way I do, and when I know there are people behind me (even if it's online). Also, good luck with treating the ulcers. We (my BO and I) are pretty positive Velvet has ulcers, which we believe is part of why she acts up here and there under saddle, and also part of why she has become the Colic Queen in recent months. So, we're trying to treat them. Hopefully we can both get our horses fixed up re: the ulcers soon. So sorry to hear about the ringbone, though. I don't know much about it, but I'm guessing that a mild case is not too bad of a thing?

Finzean - Woo-hoo! Sounds like lovely riding weather! Have a wonderful ride, and please don't forget to come back and tell us all about it.

So here I am without ANY riding info to report. Too much gun fire around the farm - yes, there's a story but it will give a detailed impression that life around the farm looks like an episode of Jerry Springer x Duck Dynasty x Andy Griffith Show (the episode where Opie kills the mama robin). I'd prefer to share just that info and everyone can assume what they want and invent their own details!! HA!

In the barn, however, we were able to do some clipping and cleaning and grooming, and I moved the horse trailer to a new parking space in front of the barn. What a glamorous & successful day. Tomorrow has another phenom weather forecast...I can only pray for a farewell to arms...

Supposed to be in the 70s AGAIN tomorrow. Poor pony has such a fuzzy coat that I'm going to get out and ride as early as I can.

ClassyRide - Thanks! Sounds like you are making progress with yours despite being so far away from them....slow and steady wins the race .

Finzean - haha, we used to live in a hunting heavy area when I was growing up so I hear ya! We were ok to ride in the ring during the weekdays (though it was exciting when the fox hunt passed through in the midst of saturday lessons LOL) but trail riding was only allowed on Sunday and even then only with bright clothes and being as obnoxiously loud as possible. Hope you have a more productive day tomorrow...

Funnily enough my muscles aren't nearly as sore as they were when I last "rerode" the summer I worked at the guest ranch. I think thats because I'm a lot more in shape now - that was in the middle of college! I'm also finding lessons way more productive than I did when I was younger. Haven't yet worked that one out, though I think its partly because I'm paying for them myself now so I'm determined to get more out of them.
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

2 members found this post helpful.

Bumkees: Wow! I can't believe how far you've come. I remember back when it first happened and now your typing is so much better and you're even going back to riding again! I'm very, very happy for you.

Classyride: I'm going to be battling loose leg syndrome for the next several weeks, I'm afraid. And I hate the feeling. Especially after having a pretty decent leg when I stopped riding regular back in the summer.

Event4Life: I'm debating on whether to have my trainer/BM give my guy a medium/high trace clip for the winter. Right now, we have highs in the upper 70s, although this will probably drop to mid-60s within a week. And if this winter is anything like last winter,

Quote Originally Posted by jaslyn1701 View Post
    Horses never cease to amaze me!
    At our barn, about 1/2 to 2/3 of the horses know which stall is theirs and walk/trot off to it when released from the back field. There's one or two you have to watch, but most are really good about it. (Then there are those who can't be trusted, obviously.)

===

* I have a lesson for tomorrow that I need to use before I lose it. I'm 90% sure it will be walk-trot with some poles. I may or may not decide to do some cantering. It all depends on how my legs feel. Then again, I've found I'm entirely more confident the night before a lesson. I think it's because my lessons are in the AM and I'm half asleep and tired from the 50-mile drive. (I also still think if I had group lessons, I'd feel braver, or develop some sense of competition with other riders. Alas, these aren't available.)

* I've finally decided to get some tall boots after the holidays. I've been looking at the Mountain Horse Richmond field boots since I have large (16-16.25") calves. And these have an extra 3/4 inch stretch which is comforting.
    Last edited by Opus1; Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Sense not since. d'oh!
    The dude abides ...

Good point about the benefits of group lessons, Opus! There are usually three or four others in my lessons, ranging in age from 24 to 34, and I'm 57. Some times it's hard to keep up, but most of the time I'm ok. In retrospect, the group lessons have been the biggest single contributor to my riding success. There's always someone to encourage me, and to push me through the rough spots. Love my lesson buddies!
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

I do understand why so many people prefer private lessons to group lessons. But for me I kind of need a little push -- be it a little competition, or not looking like an idiot in front of a crowd, etc. (Maybe even add a little enthusiasm.) Plus, it's always a bonus to see someone do something first, just to prove you're not going to die doing it.

Once the new year rolls around, and I go back to regular lessons, I plan on asking my trainer to be harder on me and not letting me slide. Because that's what usually happens.
    The dude abides ...

Hi, everyone, I haven't checked in for awhile, but I have been following the thread! I will just say "ditto" to Classyride's most recent post! She always does a good job of responding to everyone!

The weather here has been beautiful, and I had a lovely ride on Sunday. I am looking forward to going back this afternoon, although I have a ton of work to do first. It's the end of the semester, and I have to get students' research paper drafts back so they can revise in time to turn in their final drafts. It's always such a crunch.

I will just add that Bumknees has made amazing progress in every way. I am glad to see Opus posting again, and to jaslyn: I am so sorry you lost your friend Mojo.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I can wait for all my " stuff" to arrive.. Dh says " do not tell me about it I do not want to know.. I just know you are happy and that you are still in shock that you spent all that money on your self all at once.." What he means by that is that I never spend that much $$ on myself my family comes first and I come last and there is normally nothing left for 'me' spending.. Dispite my family trying to get me to do otherwise... So they are all happy I finally spent on my self.. shocked I did it, but happy I did.
    Friend of bar .ka

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1 View Post
    B
    Event4Life: I'm debating on whether to have my trainer/BM give my guy a medium/high trace clip for the winter. Right now, we have highs in the upper 70s, although this will probably drop to mid-60s within a week. And if this winter is anything like last winter,
    I was having the clipping conversation with one of the other girls at the barn last week. As she was saying, the problem is its a lot of extra faff with constantly taking blankets on and off, especially as the climate here seems to change so much! My lease horse is at a small, "private" co-op and I just can't get out there enough to be a huge help with the blanket issue so unless his owner suggests clipping (and she doesn't do as much with him as I do, hence the part lease) I think I'll just have to put up with it.

I got out early enough today that it hadn't warmed up (actually seems to be a lot cooler today than forecast said) so was able to do a bit more.

pony4me - I used to love group lessons when I was younger for that reason - they were a huge confidence boost as long as I was with the right people. I'd totally do a group lesson now if there were enough people at the barn, but the most we'd manage would be a semi private.

Event4Life - I went out this morning and was deflated as it was pretty chilly. Luckily the day warmed up! It's just beautiful outside right now (unless you're a shaggy grey mare toting an old lady around - I swear I heard my little mare ASKING to be clipped!! haha)

On another note - I've decided that I cannot get my leg issue fixed in this old hunting saddle (it's an old Passier I used to foxhunt & ride x-ctry in). It just does NOTHING to help me keep my right leg underneath me. First I took away my irons (literally took them off the saddle). That was fine until I started to do some trot work and couldn't post my fat a$$ out of the tack...swear I felt like I was having a baby again!!! So I put my daughter's dressage saddle on the mare. Wasn't thrilled with the fit but thought, hmm, we'll give it a whirl, she'll let me know if it's absolutely dreadful - it's just a little ring work. HA! It was worse than dreadful. I hate saddle shopping because I have a budget (i know, boo hoo, Joy, shut up...) so that means beating the bushes until the right thing falls into my lap. The good part is all the fun field trips. Rocking B this weekend; Barn Door in Aberdeen next Monday or Tuesday.

Didn't get much done today but the gunfire had subsided and a bleh ride is better than nothing at all!