The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 116 of 296 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126166216 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,320 of 5901

Hooray Trevelyan!

Yay Trevelyan!

Dewey -- really not much to report with Tajar. It seems like every time I get back into the groove of riding, I end up having to go out of town, and I miss a weekend, then I feel behind again. I had a couple of good rides this past weekend (one in the new dressage saddle -- just walk/trot because it was windy and I was a wuss in a weird feeling saddle!). But now I have to go out of town tomorrow - Sunday for work. 2012 has really been an annoying year.

I too am thinking I can benefit from the winter riding support thread. As much as I love my horse time, I loathe the cold!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Hey guys Im sorry for my last post. Im seeping better now, could be because DH is home.. and he isnt to worried about things to come.

iechris.. 40deg .. almost short temp. come up here where we had 20s at night and highs in the30s for the last week.. luckly no nasty white stuff that falls for the sky.. yet..figure another 2 maybe 3 weeks..if lucky there is no predicting lake effect...then we have 6'' or more of partly cloudy to remove from our driveways and sidwalks..

Welcome Accio.
    Friend of bar .ka

Thank you everyone. I just wish I had a 'real' ring at home, as cantering on the slippery clay and uneven footing in my pasture is a little daunting.

Congrats to everyone who is making progress, and loads of encouragement to everyone who needs it. I think the shorter daylight hours, friskier horses, and weather of winter is especially challenging for everyone, and we all deserve a pat on the back for even going to the barn!
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

If I didnt have a meeting this weekend this would be the weekend I rode for the first time. Maybe on Sunday before DH has to go to work...
    Figures just as I work up the nerve to get on a pony to check my balance I forget I have a VFW meeting..
    Do not let me excuse my self out from next weekend.. ok guys.. PM me, post here, anything to get me out to the barn and ride.. I have to do this or I will never get on and then I might as well sell Toby.... It will be on the pony but hey better to start off low to fall than 16.2+ thats a long way down...
    I wonder where my journeymans are....gonna have to ask dh... Its gonna be coldish if not down right cold ( weather man just hinted there is a good chance ..) and Im not that nuts not to wear full chaps in the winter... But then agian I used to wear them everyday..
    So please dont let me exsuse my way out f it..valid exsuses are have to take dh national guard stuff, dad dead, a ds dead,me in hospital,moving, one or more brother/sil/mil/neice/nephew dead. But I dont expect any of those to happen.
    Friend of bar .ka

Bumknees, I did read the post you wrote about your stress over your financial situation. No need to apologize for that. We all feel stress--sometimes, very bad stress--and we're your friends, so you can tell us. After all, this is the re-riders' "support group." Your post just reinforced that every time there is a change in administration, some people are going to suffer for it. It's inevitable.

As far as riding goes, I want to encourage you. It sounds as though you're trying to nerve yourself up to doing it, and that's a good sign: you're ready for the next step. Just make sure you maximize your chances for success. Starting on the pony is good, and make sure you have at least one other person with you, someone who is familiar with the horses and who can walk next to you and lead the pony if necessary. And of course: wear a helmet!

Good luck, bumknees, I'm pulling for you.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Hey bumknees, next week just promise yourself you will tack up, mount up, and walk around. That's it. Tell yourself you will walk for ten minutes. After ten minutes, if you really want to get off, let yourself. Chances are you may not want to. I think baby steps can be giant steps!
    Last edited by ParadoxFarm; Nov. 16, 2012 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Typi
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh geesh forgot about the helmet... I have one I think .... I may have given it to someone when I though I have hung up the Irons for the last time a few years ago. Will have to check... If I stll have it it maybe under some stuff in a closet, in the case, possibly buried deep in the closet under lots of stuff...
    In a room that DH and I had started to redo/renovate right before I had my stroke and noone has been in since... Oh gosh the horsehair plaster... I hope it isnt... I sure its all hard by now...
    Friend of bar .ka

Good luck, Bumknees! Wishing you great weather and some helpful support for tacking up and getting you back in the saddle. If you lived near me, I'd take you to the barn and borrow a steady-Eddie lesson pony for you. Let us know how it goes.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Let me add my belated congratulations, Trevelyan, to everyone else's! That is a big milestone! Keep up the good work!

Hazel and Tarheel, thanks for the reports. Winter can be a drag. I don't feel justified in complaining, but even here in south Georgia, we had a rainy, dark, chilly day yesterday. It brought back memories of November in New England. I did manage to get a ride in, though, and we did some gymnastics, which is always fun.

I like the idea of Rolex, Hazel--when is it? I have never been to the KHP. Anyone else up for a re-riders field trip?
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Pancakes, check out this girl:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1

They call her bay, but IMO, she's a liver chestnut. I saw her posted in off-course, and when I clicked on her picture, I had to wipe the drool off the keyboard.

I know she's far away, but maybe you can afford the shipping since the adoption fees at NV are quite reasonable--usually well under $1K.

Oh Dewey, she's gorgeous!! And definitely a liver chestnut.

Dang, where is Pancakes??!!

Bumknees- I so wish you lived closer, I'd come out and ride with you next weekend. And just for you, I rode in the "OMG I'm going to freeze" 46F cold last night. Took hours to get my hands and feet warm again!

This is such a tough time of year. I think all of us have a lot of stress, and it tends to get worse around the holidays. I think we are all here to support each other and IMO venting is totally allowed! Sometimes you just need to. Heck at my work some of us watch trash TV at lunch as a mental reset. Today is one of those days, 10 AM and I am already dealing with an angry old man who would rather be nasty than listen and try to get help.

Bumknees- I so wish you lived closer, I'd come out and ride with you next weekend. And just for you, I rode in the "OMG I'm going to freeze" 46F cold last night. Took hours to get my hands and feet warm again!

This is such a tough time of year. I think all of us have a lot of stress, and it tends to get worse around the holidays. I think we are all here to support each other and IMO venting is totally allowed! Sometimes you just need to. Heck at my work some of us watch trash TV at lunch as a mental reset. Today is one of those days, 10 AM and I am already dealing with an angry old man who would rather be nasty than listen and try to get help.

Oh, totally forgot to tell you all about my big fail last night! Trainer wants the little grey mare to use a bevel pad now and so I put that one top of my saddle pad. Tightened my girth before mounting, but didn't check it again after mounting. I was cantering around to the right and just felt all over the place and she felt strung out, etc. Had my friend AAHunter watch us and she noticed that my saddle pad and bevel pad had slipped almost all the way out from under my saddle. My girth was so loose I could stick my arm between it and the mare. Yikes!! Fixed that disaster and she was much better. I'm thinking I'm lucky my saddle didn't slid underneath her.
    Last edited by iechris; Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:02 AM.

Dewey, that horse is GORGEOUS. Wow.

Four more days till "cast off". . Tomorrow we're trailering my horse to my trainer and my DH will ride him in a lesson. Can't wait to see them together. DH hasn't jumped him in a while, so will be nice to see someone else jumping him.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Default New Technical Term for the Adult Re-Rider

Ladies and gents, I am proud to say that after almost 5 years of not riding, I've started riding again. I'm even doing a partial lease on a wonderful gelding who is just fantastic for what I need - steady, safe, trustworthy. All-in-all, a perfect horse to re-start riding on.

However, this past Wednesday I took my first "tumble" in over 5 years. For the stupidest reason, too. Walking back to the barn in the dark, someone was grazing their bay horse in a shadowy area. Horse was concerned, so I let him stop and take a look/listen. I should have just dismounted right then and there, so as not to put myself or him into a position where things could go awry....but I didn't. And apparently Bay Horse Grazing In The Dark (BHGITD) moved or grew fangs and hissed at my horse or something, because Horse dropped his shoulder and scooted out from under me. One second I'm on a horse, the next I'm on the ground.

I was amazed at how little it hurt to fall. I felt lucky that it seemed like I bounced just as well at 30 as I did at 20. In fact, the last time I fell (at age 25) seemed to hurt WAY worse (granted, I smacked my head on the ground and got stepped on).

Little did I know, the lack of immediate discomfort was due to a new phenomenon that I have now dubbed "A$$-Fat Reverb" or "AFR."

Turns out it's not that I bounce just like I did when I was 20....it's just that I have more FAT in my REAR AREA to absorb the shock.

Like, you know that scene in Jurassic Park where the glasses of water show the rings as the T-Rex approaches? AFR is similar, in that I'm pretty sure that's what my butt fat did when I landed. Didn't hurt at the time, but I'm pretty sore 2 days later.

So beware of AFR, my fellow adult re-riders.

Seriously, though - I'm glad to have gotten my first fall of my "new" riding career out of the way. Now I don't have to worry about when it's going to come or if all the bones in my body would simultaneously break upon impact with the ground. But I do think I have to come up with a cooler story about how it happened. The whole "I fell off from a standstill" is a little embarrassing.
    Last edited by ybiaw; Nov. 16, 2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: grammatical corrections.
    Everyone is running from something. Especially this person I'm chasing.

Aww..sorry to hear about your fall ybiaw. But glad you realized it wasn't horrible. That's a plus!
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

It wasn't horrible. It was HILARIOUS!
    Everyone is running from something. Especially this person I'm chasing.

Good attitude.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde