The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 113 of 397 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163213 ... LastLast
Results 2,241 to 2,260 of 7932

Oh, Tarheel! Tajar is SO GORGEOUS!!! How long have you had him? What's his age and breeding?

You hit the nail on the head when you said you know you can do it, but you get in your own way. That's *exactly* how I am with cantering. Neither of my riding horses are bad about it - it's just that I start worrying about what might happen if I fall off, and then it snowballs from there.

I'm just looking forward to getting back into lessons. And yeah, I'd really love to do a few local shows in 2013 – that’s a good idea. And it’s a good goal to shoot for, I think.

Jaslyn, the link doesn't work for me. All I get is the sign-in to my email. It's too bad because I wanted to see the picture.

Classyride, I really enjoyed the stories about your horses and seeing their pictures! Wonderful! How lucky you are to have three!

Tarheel, that's a lovely shot of Tajar. Wish I could see his nose, though!
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Pancakes how are you doing?

Thanks ClassyRide and Dewey. I have had Tajar for 3 years -- he was delivered to my trainer's barn 10/12/09. He is a 9 yr. old Quarter Horse -- but he is 16 hh and he isn't built at all like his AQHA breeding would suggest he should be (although he does have a bit of a butt). He was bred from a Skipper W line in Colorado, and his initial owner used him as a header horse in team roping. But his heart wasn't in that. He has proved to be quite good in the hunter ring for me, thanks to great trainers who taught him a new job. And we had a lot of fun doing a very baby-level combined test in 2011, and I'd like to do more of that this coming year.

He is a dark buckskin, which is why you see the tortoise shell blend in his coloring. I had never heard of such a thing before I saw his sale ad. I researched it, and learned that buckskins originated as a mutation of bays, and the early ones were dark like him. Over the generations, people bred them to be lighter and lighter, so now you hardly ever see the original dark buckskins any more.

Dewey -- I agree about his nose. The photographer who took this was at a clinic we attended, and she obviously manipulated an image she got of him to make it more of an art shot. I've contacted her to see about buying the digital file, and seeing the original photo, as well as any others she may have of him from that day. I suspect she may have cut off his nose because his whiskers were so unsightly! We have not shown since June, and I don't see any reason to shave his whiskers, and take away some of his natural defenses, if we aren't showing. The opportunity to go to this clinic came up at the last minute, and I did not have a chance to groom him as meticulously as I would have liked, so he ended up going with some long hairs on his muzzle -- if it had not slipped my mind in the rush I was in, I would have at least trimmed them! Anyway, I am sure his whiskers could be photoshopped out, like she did with all of the rest of the background, if the photographer had wanted to include the nose.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Dewey, I changed my profile pic to the one I wanted. I hope you can see that.

Tarheel - Tajar is beautiful and I love that picture!
    And nothing bad happened!

Tarheel, I thought the picture looked arty! It is beautiful, nose or no nose. Tajar is a gorgeous color, and what you say about the dark buckskin is quite interesting.

Jaslyn, I can see the picture now and see why you are so proud! Nice jump!
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Classyride, I love your pictures and the stories of all your horses. Your baby is so cute! She's so fancy looking.

Tarheel, Tajar is gorgeous! What a beautiful photo. Blow that one up and stick it on the wall!

Thanks for asking how I'm doing, Hazel. I'm OK. Depressed. I've been on overnights at work and I've been really sick and unable to rest to get better, so I feel like trash. Emotionally I still feel a void. I haven't been back to the barn since saying good bye to the horse because I've been sick, so emotionally it's like I've fallen off and didn't get back on, if that makes sense.
    To top it off, my personal life is crappy right now too. My mom in NJ still hasn't had power for a week and now they're going to get 6-9 inches of snow on top of it. I worry about her. My aunt just had surgery today for an adrenal tumor, lost a lot of blood, and is in the ICU in critical condition. I will try to go see her in Miami tomorrow but being sick myself, I'm trying to avoid spreading my germs. And my sister got laid off this week. I found out I have to work overnights on Thanksgiving as well. *sigh*
    I want to turn to my horses to make me feel better but I just feel physically so tired and emotionally so worn down that it's hard.

I have been searching online for more prospective horses to look at or buy but it seems like nothing is what I'm looking for. I guess I just have to be patient. I don't have a big budget so that unfortunately is a big limitation. It's the least of my worries at the moment, though.

Hope everyone stays warm and those in the Northeast dig out quickly!

Pancakes - you definitely have more than your share on your plate right now. At the very least, I hope you can get some rest soon, and shake whatever illness is dragging you down.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by TarheelJD View Post
    He was bred from a Skipper W line in Colorado
    Oh!! He's related to the best horse I ever knew - my mom's QH that she had in the 90s. I loved that horse

I meant to do a non-complaining post after tonight's lesson, but apparently last week's hurricane turned me into a Weather Wimp and after my rather icky drive home from work, I cancelled tonight's lesson - wind, snow, rain, and freezing temps. Ack. ANd of course I feel guilty now.

I've been making some progress in my attempts to not jump ahead. Not as much as I'd like, but some. MY part-lease schoolie continues to be a saint and I am so thankful for his patience, and my trainer's patience! Especially on the too-frequent days when it feels like I've forgotten how to make my body do anything when I'm riding!!

Pancakes, you don't sound "OK" to me. Depressed is not OK! And it sounds as if you have good reason to be. So sorry to hear about the family problems and illness on top of losing your new horse.

Can you tell us a bit about what you are looking for in a new horse?

Aw, thanks Dewey, thanks Tarheel. I'm not OK but I'm pretending because that's how you get by. I've been in worse condition before unfortunately but now I'm on my own and have to stand on my own two feet. I had a good talk with my trainer who is also my close friend, and I feel a little better, but things aren't so great right now. I just have to get by any way I can. The depression started a while ago and it's now coming out in full force, as you can expect it would given everything going on. The horse is the catalyst but not the most serious loss in all of this.

What I'm looking for in a new horse is something big (>16 hands) since I'm tall and have a long leg, under 11 or 12 years old (ideally under 10) since I want to have it for a while, and athletic enough/good enough of a mover to do the local hunters/eq with ability to go 3'6" (even though I probably won't be doing that ever). Color isn't really a big deal as much as overall attractiveness, and breed isn't that important either, though I have preference to solid-colored horses and WBs/appendix/QH/TBs. I'd like a TB that didn't race ideally, but I'd accept an OTTB that is super dead quiet and with clean legs. Oh, and cheap...under $6k at this point. The horse doesn't have to be finished and can be green, but it needs to be safe/sane/sound.

Back to the search...most of the horses that I feel are reasonable are in that $10-$15k range and the ones I dream about in the $20k+. Le sigh.

Pancakes:

Is it the 3'6" potential that is getting you into higher $ figures? If so, and you don't think you will ever be competing at that height, maybe you can find something for less money that isn't a 3'6" prospect?

I adore my horse, but I would not classify him as having competitive 3'6" potential. But given my re-rider self, I don't need him to. If I can get up to doing 2'6"/2'9" competitively, I'll be thrilled, and he definitely has that in the tank.

If you keep looking, you will find something in your budget, particularly since you are willing to take on a horse that isn't totally finished. And we'll all keep an eye out for you in our areas!

Take care of yourself -- and know that this too shall pass. Depression sucks, but you can address it and get better. It sounds like you know that, but I figure it doesn't hurt to hear it!

Tarheel - I was wondering what color he was! How awesome!!! I’ve never seen a dark buckskin in person, but I adore the look of them in pictures. They are quite rare, though – you’re so lucky to have him! Sounds like he was a real find!

Jaslyn - your profile picture is awesome! Man, that horse looks like a blast to ride! How proud you must be! And you sure do ride him well.

Pancakes - I am SO very sorry you’re going through all of this. Why does everything seem to happen all at once? {{{Pancakes}}} I will be keeping both your mom and your aunt in my thoughts and prayers over the next few days. I hope your mom gets power back soon and that your aunt heals quickly. It’s even worse that you are so emotionally wrung out *and* having to work overnights *and* feeling ill. I wish I could give more words of wisdom than this, but the best I can tell you is to just keep putting one foot in front of the other, just as you’re doing right now. I’ve been through times like that, and the only thing you can do is keep pushing through. I don’t know if you’re a country fan at all, but situations like this remind me of that song (I think it’s by Dierks Bentley) that says, “If you’re going through hell, keep on moving. Don’t slow down – if you’re scared don’t show it. You might get out before the Devil even knows you’re there.”

By the way, your criteria for a horse are not super restrictive. You’ll have to weed through the undesirable candidates that fit most criteria and not all… But really, you are not precluding every good horse out there by any means. You’ll be able to find your new horse – he or she might not show up right away, but remember that all good things take time.

RolyPolyPony – I do not blame you one bit for cancelling the lesson. I know all too well that feeling of guilt at doing so, but honestly, it’s better to keep yourself safe and happy. And I’m sure your schoolie doesn’t mind one bit that he has to work a little less tonight. It’s amazing, too, that you’ve found a trainer nice enough to understand that muscle-memory is not always as strong as we’d like it to be! I hope against hope that I can find a trainer as kind when I start lessons again this Winter!

Thanks guys *hug*. It's true, Classyride, about that song. And just one foot in front of the other. It just all seems to happen at once.

Tarheel, I'm not really looking at a 3'6" prospect so much as a horse with the ability to do that, athletically. I'm not going to be jumping that high. I'm looking more for a 3' prospect but I don't want a horse that doesn't have anything left in the tank at 3' or that might jump dangerously because it's around the limit of his/her ability, if that makes sense. A horse that is actively schooling around 2'6" to 2'9 is perfect for me, or even one that hasn't yet gotten to that point but has the ability. It's good to hear that you don't think my criteria are too restrictive, because lately I've been wondering. I guess it's just a matter of time. Thanks for keeping an eye out! I'm willing to travel somewhat, even though something close to home that I can go check out on a day off would be even better.

Classyride - that's my trainer aboard over fences.

Pancakes - I wish I had some really profound words of wisdom to offer you as you go through this, but I don't. Just know that all of us are with you and send you big hugs on a constant basis!
    And nothing bad happened!

Pancakes it does seem like everything happens at once. And I work nights too and I have to say everything seems more grim when I'm tired. Being sick only makes it worse too. I love that song about when you're going through hell just keep on going. Take it one day at a time. Or one hour at a time. Or one minute at a time if that's all you can manage. And remember that we are all here for you, a soft place to land.
    What about an older horse? Everyone wants an 8 year old but there are lots of older horses that can do what you want with lots of good years left with a little bit of maintenance. And the pricetag is usually a bit lower. Just a thought.
    On a personal front, I had the best lesson ever today, despite the freezing cold, and being tired from staying up way too late last night. I'm feeling ever so hopeful that I may just one day soon "get it". My horse seems pretty cheery about it too.

Pancakes, if you are not picky about breed, you should be able to find plenty of suitable horses in your price range especially if you are willing to either take a TB or a horse that's a bit older than your ideal. As Hazel says, there are lots of nice horses that can do what you want and are excellent confidence builders but are on the older side, like 14 or 15. These horses often have a lot of mileage left. Our trainer just picked up a horse for her program. He is a former big-eq horse, dead broke and gorgeous, a big chestnut over 17 hands tall. He jumps 2"9" to 3'. All the kids at the barn fight over him. He is about 17 years old and can't jump 3'6" anymore, so she got him free.

If you take a TB, you can find many available in Florida that would meet all of your criteria, including age. There are so many available, you just need to find the one that's right for you.

Good luck.

The only problem I have with an older horse is the maintenance. Hock injections, limited mileage, limited resell value...they're things I don't necessarily want to get into for my first horse. I'm also open to a younger greener horse since I have good instruction, something that I can also grow and learn how to be a better rider with, rather than a babysitter/schoolmaster type. But I definitely understand the value of an older horse as well.

wow this one is an ACTIVE thread!! Let me catch up a little
    Pancakes, warm thoughts to you, it really is a tough time for you... hoping this will soon be behind you!

Pancakes - *HUG* I hope things get better for you

Thanks, ClassyRide - I am so thrilled to have found this barn! I really am lucky. Which is why I feel even more guilty when I have to cancel...maybe I'll make banana bread for next week? But I am glad I cancelled last night - the weather just kept getting more and more horrible! Too early for this!!!