The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 106 of 321 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116156206 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,120 of 6412

Congrats on the show, pancakes! I'm with the others in loving 89 as well.

I think I forgot to mention that Ollie and I were champions in the adult beginner division at our local schooling show

So here I am, looking terrified and ahead of the motion at this jump. And Ollie is completely bored at that height: http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...om2/Oliver.jpg

We've been schooling more up to 2'6" at home, so as soon as I get our distances better, he gets his lead changes and I break him of his gate sourness, we can move up!

But this is my favorite from the show: http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...m2/Oliver3.jpg

And yes, that's a velvet helmet, and yes, that's a bastardized one-rein pelham...don't judge me! He actually goes nicely in it and I have light hands. Too light sometimes, actually.
    Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

Opus - hope you got my PM about the hunt. Loved what your trainer told Oliver's rider. And so glad to hear you'll be back on anytime!

Dewey - just had a lesson today trying to "unlearn" some new habits. Now that B's much better not tossing his head, or frankly, not getting rank or bucking, etc, now he is listening ALL the time (yay!), he also no longer has the previously lovely automatic forward trot that he had - in between all that rough housing around. As my trainer said, he's not sure what you want from him necessarily anymore. But he is ALWAYS trying. Love that about OTTBs.

And yes, TG we didn't do the whole fox hunting routine. In fact, I don't know if they ever spotted the fox, although our Field Master said there was one in her driveway the day before!

Good luck on the show!

PH - sounds like you and Ollie are coming along really great! We tried a little log in our clinic, and I'm hoping his reluctance was because it was just too small to do anything with! Was so spoiled by my horse from 'back in the day' who would go over anything, at any angle, in any situation. I think they are more impressed when there's something to make an effort at!
    And congrats on the Championship! Yay! Oh, and love that last photo.

SV - so glad to hear about the enthusiasm for your horse by his rider! And sorry about your son's concussion! I had one when I was 14. Took a solid week for the cobwebs to shake out. Hope your weekend was cozy and healing.

Quietann- so glad it ended on a positive, even after those frightening man and horse eating obstacles!

Welcome back, Pancakes! Love the photos. I have a good friend from "the old days" who trains down in Miami. Looks like you had a blast at Wellington. Agree - 89 is the best!

Hope everyone is doing well this week. I am fighting a sinus infection, but lived through our lesson today. So much fun now that we can canter - canter, canter, cough, cough!

And just now opened the door to let the dog out, and every bird within a mile is squawking and chattering - there are hundreds of them. Believe they're organizing their flight plans to head south to see all of you down there!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    I think they are more impressed when there's something to make an effort at!
    Oh yes- definitely! The first couple weeks I had Ollie, he completely cantered through and crashed down all the crossrails I set up- he just didn't care. And right before the last show, he totally cantered through, not over, a 2-foot vertical - with poles flying everywhere- and kept on trucking like Nothing. Ever. Happened. He's trying to tell me that he's bored and wants to go bigger! My barnmates have told me what beautiful form he has when we're doing 2'6". I think I need to work EXTRA hard this winter to make that happen for next show season.

Thanks guys! 89 it is

PH, Ollie is cute! He looks just as interested in those fences as Paisley does...not at all! We did do 2'6" today in our lesson and he perked right up
    Once you get those leads down and you get your distances, you'll be on the right track! I was just there a few months ago (and only started getting my distances a month ago!) and it's like opening a whole new door.
    Love your last pic!!! So cute

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    Opus - hope you got my PM about the hunt. Loved what your trainer told Oliver's rider. And so glad to hear you'll be back on anytime!
    Oh, no! I didn't get a PM. The last one I have is from Dewey, about a month ago.

(I'm still laughing about what my trainer said!)
    The dude abides ...

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1 View Post
    Oh, no! I didn't get a PM. The last one I have is from Dewey, about a month ago.

(I'm still laughing about what my trainer said!)
    PM sent. Sorry about that! Did it right away, but seems to have disappeared...

PH, those pictures are really cute, especially the last one.

(By the way, I wear a velvet helmet in shows, too!)
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Sky is doing well, but I'm really bummed about a remark my trainer tossed out yesterday. She and I were watching one of her riders take a little QH around the course, practicing for the show, and as usual, he was being a very good boy, showing off his cute jump and perfect lead changes. This is a horse I trained and showed for three years and who was my regular mount before Sky. I take a lot of pride in him as he was an extremely green five-year-old when I started riding him. I taught him how to jump and do his changes, etc. He's smart and fun, and I love him dearly. My coach has told me many times what a beautiful job I did training him. Since then, he has been a very useful horse, doing lessons and IEA and IHSA shows.

Anyway, we were watching him go round, and the coach remarked, "Dang, I really need to sell him as he is worth some serious money." My heart fell into my boots. The little girl who was riding him is leasing him, and I know she, too, would be heartbroken. She is cleaning up on the local circuit, and I know she adores him.

I can't decide if that was a throw-away remark or not. Frankly, I need to ask her, so I can start preparing myself emotionally.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Thanks Dewey! And velvet helmet-ers, unite! So sorry about your trainer's maybe-decision to sell your beloved former project...that has GOT to hurt I can't imagine how difficult it would be to invest so much time and love in a horse and then see your beloved little guy get sold. Hopefully it was just an off-hand comment meant to show how much she values the guy.

My trainer and her husband, just for fun, put a cordless mic on me and video-taped me for a ride...and then edited it down to just the stupid moments of me riding/talking. It was hilarious, and cringe-worthy at moments too. I have a huge potty mouth! And I need to work on distances and equitation with my heel coming up and moving too far forward. Ugh.

Thanks for your kind words, PH. Your post made me tear up.

(Had to smile, though--can't picture you as a potty mouth!)

Oh I am the WORST when it comes to being a potty-mouth while riding! My barnmates always are incredibly entertained by me You might be able to convince me to share the video via PM if you promise not to send it around!

Well...hahaha...It might be fun to hear it!

Sky has been lugging on me lately, so we played musical bits last week to find something to use in the show, so we could get around the course without ending up at mach 3. We ended up with a jointed rubber pelham with a very short shank. She went pretty well in it on Friday afternoon when I jumped her around the course. The jumps had all been moved to a big field and decorated with pine boughs, flowers, and shrubs, and she was very "looky" but good. She has come a long way since last spring when she freaked out over a cross rail with flowers under it.

Saturday, she was just super. We jumped a warm up round then both courses in the 2' division, and she was better every time around. The last class, she won. I was thrilled with her. Later in the day, she went in Pleasure Horse in her regular bit, and went around very nicely on a loopy rein, so I was very proud of her.

This morning we had a clinic with the judge, and he told me she was a very cute mare, a great jumper, and was as "brave as snot" to the jumps. I would have paid the clinic fee just to hear him say that. He gave me great exercises to work on to get her to relax, and he helped me with my equitation as well. Great couple of days though I am wiped out!

Here are some pics from the show. They aren't pro pics; one of the barn girls has a really nice camera and a good eye for a shot. Yes, it's true: I wore my safety vest in the show.

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/z...sfbe28bc1.jpeg

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/z...sdf9bac7b.jpeg

Default Training Rides

Hey All!

Is it a fair goal to wean oneself off of training rides and go it alone with trainer in three times weekly lessons?

How many of you are doing it mostly yourself with a young horse while receiving pressure to have trainer show/train horse in perpetuity?

At $3K a week to show, I am not inclined to continue to watch trainer ride and show horse as I sit on the sidelines.

Appreicate anyone's thoughts...horse is five, I'm not going off him and realize there is a lot of growing up to do on his part. : )

Hi, ballisticgirl, and welcome! Is your screenname a description of yourself or your horse?

Several of us are working with green horses including yours truly. I don't know how to answer your question, though, because I don't ride at an A show barn, and it sounds as if you do. My coach is very experienced and competent, but she does not do "training rides" for riders. The concept of training rides and paying a pro to ride one's horse at a show is a foreign world to me. I know a lot of people do it, and it is considered quite normal, but personally, I wouldn't buy a horse for someone else to train and show. I'm not judging you; that's just my own outlook. Keep in mind that I have never showed at an A show in my life and probably never will.

I gather from your post that you are tired of the expense and maybe are feeling frustrated that someone else gets to ride your horse all the time. Are you experienced enough to bring your horse along yourself with regular lessons?

Hey Dewey!

Long story about the ballistic thing....but I am about to go ballistic with my horse situation. LOL!

I am a competent rider and have been back at the sport for two years. My barn does local and A shows so a blend of clients. I really wish I could find a program like yours as it would be much more rewarding to make progress without being hand held along the way. It seems most barns in the area are of like mind. I often review show results (horseshowsonline) and a good portion of results on horses have pros in the tack. It's exasperating, really....It's just I want great care and clean facilities and well, then there comes the "Your horse needs me to ride it and you can't show for a few years" conversation.

I will keep looking around until I find a place where I can accomplish my goals over a longer period of time and without the added cost.

BG, I wish you luck. I would find your situation very frustrating. It sounds to me as if you are capable of training your horse yourself, especially as you are taking so many lessons. Is it possible to just go to the local shows? Would you get the same flak from the trainer about riding the horse yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    This morning we had a clinic with the judge, and he told me she was a very cute mare, a great jumper, and was as "brave as snot" to the jumps. I would have paid the clinic fee just to hear him say that. He gave me great exercises to work on to get her to relax, and he helped me with my equitation as well. Great couple of days though I am wiped out!

Here are some pics from the show. They aren't pro pics; one of the barn girls has a really nice camera and a good eye for a shot. Yes, it's true: I wore my safety vest in the show.
    Dewey - Look at those kneeeeees! She is super over fences. And congrats on your accomplishments. Love the judge's comments as well!

Congratulations on a great show and clinic Dewey. The pictures are fantastic, you both look awesome !!

Thanks, CVPeg and Hazel! I have been staring at the pictures off and on all day! I knew she was a good jumper, but I didn't quite realize how good! Love the expression on her face, too! Do I sound like a proud mama?!